CHAPTER 40: DUO'S LETTER/ BIRTH OF A NATION

 

The White Fang and the Peacemillion crew are in an uneasy stalemate. Aided by the powerful G-Unit and the equally dangerous Scorpions, the Gundam pilots have managed to pose a significant threat to the Fang. While Scorpio had decided to ally the Scorpions with the Gundam team, Adin Barnett and Desert Rose leave,citing that the have their own people to protect. Rose says one final goodbye to the Scorpions,and leaves for the World Nation...meanwhile,Hilde wakes up with a letter in her hand....

 

[INFIRMARY]

<Hilde,groggy>: What's this....?

(Opens up folded letter)

<Hilde>:It's Duo's.... what the...?

(Black rose falls out)

<Hilde>:A rose of death....

Dear Hilde...

I don't really know how to write these things,and I'm too much of a coward to tell you face to face. Truth is, I've been extremely worried lately...worried about everything. OZ,the White Fang, everything...all of a sudden our lives are being determined by others... What I want to say is...well....I've been thinking...about what happenned back in Singapore...when we had our little 'talk'...

(ink changes)

Sorry for writing like this,but what happenned at Barge made me rewrite this......Anyway...dammit, I really don't know what to say now....Let's make it short.

I don't ever want to see you hurt like at Barge. Why? Because it would hurt me more than any Mobile suit could. As much as I love Deathschyte, it is still a suit. Without me,it has no soul,just another machine. But you're different...when Deathscythe I was destroyed, I felt crushed,defeated even....but something made me realize that I can replace it anytime....I can't replace you. You're a person, Hilde Shrilbeiker. A person I care about a lot. Someone..someone I don't want to lose to this war...If I ever make it out alive...I want you to be there waiting for me...with that cute smile and the beret of yours....

No death, no lies. Just you and me,and the rising sun....I hope you can understand...

I don't really mean it when I yell or bark at you....I'm sorry if it ever hurt you...I just don't know what else to do...Please don't hate me if I seem upset....so if you're reading this, I'm

-sorry,

-regretting everytime you lost your smile

-and running out of ink.

That's it really....I apologize,I really don't know the words....

Yours Forever,

Shinegami, Duo Maxwell

[FLASHBACK,IN DUO'S ROOM]

<Duo>:Thanks, Quattre...I never had the guts to finish that letter...

<Quattre puts hand on Duo's shoulder>:No problem, all you had to do was dictate and me write...it's OK to let your feelings out like that...

[INFIRMARY]

<Hilde holds letter to chest>:Oh Duo......my tortured Duo....

<Heero arrives>:So...you got the letter?

<Hilde>:Heero Yuy...?

<Heero>:I keep telling everyone to follow their emotions. Duo simply listened to me. I wish everyone else did too.

<Hilde>:He listens to someone for a change?

<Heero>:He'll listen to you,that I can guarentee. Just- (points to HIlde) Just stay out of his way....or he'll regret it...and that is NOT a miscue.He will regret it. Stay on the Peacemillion and fight from here. Your place is not by his side,but behind him, supporting him.

<Hilde>:Why do you care so much about him?

<Heero>:I don't. I just can't find another suitable pilot for Deathscythe Hell.

(Heero walks out)

<George,invisible to Heero>:Oui,mon ami...and you cainut pull it ouff yourghself....oh, sa..tomoi...teez Domon all over again.(disappears)

[ABOVE WORLD NATION CAPITAL OF BRUSSELS]

<Shuttle Computer >: Offloading Gundam 06 now. Have a nice day.

(Jauhara jumps into a forest)

<Rose>: No need for this mask, now. (mask in glove compartment) It's me, Otto. Here to save the world.

(Jauhara lands on its two feet, followed by a basejobber)

(Jauhara boards Basejober and flies off)

(Leos spot it and surround it):Hold it!

[WORLD NATION HQ]

<Comm Dude>: Gundam sighted in the forest! Repeat, Gundam sighted in the forest!

<Treize>:A Gundam? Is it model 05?

<COmm Dude>:No, it is model 06.

<Lady Une>:Model 06...?Jauhara Gundam?

<Leo pilots>:Sir, he has his hands up! The cockpit is opening! Should we shoot,sir?He's surrendering!

<Treize>:....No. Prep Tallgeese II. I'm going to meet him myself.

<Leo>:Sir??

<Treize>: The White Fang is a very dangerous force. If one Gundam pilot chooses to ally with us, we may need him.

<Otto steps out>: Wait! Don't shoot! I come in peace!! (holds up white rose) Really, I do!!

<Leo fires warning shot>: Don't move until Treize gets here!

(Jauhara turns to Leo and vulcans at its feet)

<Leos>:The Gundam is moving without its pilot??

<Otto>:Don't piss my Gundam off,please....

(Leo pilots whisper)

<leo>:We've heard of a sixth Gundam, but this one is strange.....

<Leo II>: I hope Treize knows what he's doing...

(Tallgeese II boosts in, followed by Une in a Torus)

<Treize>: He looks familiar....

<Une>:I think I've met him before,sir...would you mind if I talked to him? I think he knows me...

<Treize>:Why Lady Une, that is unusually forward for you...but permission granted.

<Otto looks up,hair blowing in thruster wind>: So you're Treize Kushrenada...

(Lady Une disembarks with Treize helping her down):And you're probably wondering what I'm doing here....

<Treize>:Leos,stand down. (leos deactivate )

(Jauhara bends down to one knee, Otto walks off)

<Otto>:And I'm Desert Rose. But you can call me Otto. You're Treize Kushrenada, I presume. (holds out hand)

<Treize shakes his hand>:Tell me, what would a Gundam pilot like you be doing here?

<Otto>:I heard that the White Fang are targetting Earth....and I intend to stop them,just like you.

<Lady Une>:Otto...long time no see.

<Otto>:Lady Une...(smiles)...long time no see yourself.

<Treize>:We'll carry your Gundam to our base. Don't worry, we won't tamper with it. Is it by any chance installd with the ZERO system?

<Otto>:No, I don't think so....(Allenbi whispers in his ear)..wait...there's something like that....(Allenbi,why didn't you tell me about the Beserk System?)

(Allenbi):I never thought you'd need it.

<Treize>:Welcome to the World Nation then, Desert Rose....

<Otto>:Call me Otto, Treize. That's my name. I'll wait here for the carrier.

<Lady Une>:We'll wait for the carrier...I need to catch up with him.

(Tallgeese II and Leos walk off)

<Une turns to Otto>:Why are you here,Rose...really....

<Otto grips Lady Une's shoulders>:I had to see you again...where better than Brussels? Especially at a time like this....I don't know if you're alive or not...everytime I wake up...it was pure torture.I had to return.

<Lady Une>:What with Treize here? Otto...this is difficult for me..

<Otto>: Don't worry....I saw your white rose petals....right now, I am Otto von Bahn the Gundam pilot....you need me to help protect Treize,right?

<Une>:Otto....

<Otto>:Then I will do as you say, Une. As of now, I am Treize Kushrenada's bodyguard in and out of the battlefield. What we have...or rather what we had back at the resource satellite...is history.

<Une>:You're lying. I'd be lying if I said the same. I can't let go of you for one second...and Treize wonders why we have separate bedrooms.

It's because I can't sleep at night...(puts head on Otto's chest and cries)..it's all because of you.....

<Otto comforts Une>:I'm here now....don't worry...

<Une kisses Otto>:You'd better not make me......

<Otto smiles>:Remember when we first met?

<Une>:Yup.You were making fun of my nose.

<Otto slaps head>:Not that time....the Britanny coast....

<Une>:Yeah....I fought you in a Leo,you didn't even fight back...you even left me a little rose...

<Otto>:And then the satellite....you winning that lookalike contest....(giggles)now that was funny....:)

(Otto and Une laugh)

<Une>:We recovered that Wing Gundam carcass though...we can't find a pilot for it. Now that you're here...

<Otto>:Jauhara's my Gundam. (Pats Lady Une's back) You pilot it.

<Une>:Me?

<Otto>:You. Don't worry, I'll help you. You were superb in your Leo,you were simply underequipped that time. I'm confident you can help me protect Treize.(smiles) That's what you want,isn't it?

<Une knocks Otto's head>:What DO you have in that ingenius mind of yours...?

[WORLD NAITON HQ]

<Treize>:Splendid idea. I'm sure Lady Une would have no objection.

<Otto sips his champagne>:She already agreed to it, Treize.

<Treize>:Do your fellow Scorpions know about this? (notices Scorpions insignia)

<Otto>:Yes...but I would have gotten here anyway. (stands up) I'll take a nap first....

<Treize>:Before you go to your quarters,I want to ask you something.

<Otto>:What is it?

<Treize>:You and Une...you weren't....

<Otto>:Old flames? Far from it, Kushrenada.....far from it.

<Treize>: Everytime Desert Rose was mentioned in the news, she always became rather transfixed with it......how DID you two meet,anyway?

<Otto>:Um....all I can say is we go a long way back........well,I'd better get sleeping now.

<Treize>:One more thing. Do you play the piano?

<Otto>:Mildly. Why?

<Treize>:I have a song I wish to play...but I need another organist. I call it...White Reflection...

<Otto>:Lemme see the notes....sure...I guess I could.

<Treize sits at piano chair>: Alright. (hits first key)

<Otto>: Gimme an A, dude.

(Treize hits an A)

(Both play White Reflection)

<Une>: Hold it. (takes mike) Every song needs a singer.

<Otto>:Sure....Treize? i didn't know she could sing....

<Treize raises eyebrows>:I didn't know either....

<Une raises mike>: Try me, boys.

(They perform White Reflection)

<Otto>: Like the saint I thought..she has the voice of an angel....

<Treize>:I'm just learning more about her....she seems different now that he's here....(looks at Otto)..maybe that's what we all need...

[WHITE FANG HQ]

<Quinze>:Wow, we're building a monster!! It's a space station,isn't it, Zechs..?

<Zechs>:No...it's a weapon of vengance....a...Libra.

(Gato and Char clap) :Yay, Zechs!

<Char>:TOldja a colony drop was stupid. We can just shoot at Earth from here!

<Gato>:Now why didn't Cima and me think of that....

<Zechs>:Estimated time to completion, Quinze?

<Quinze>:The techs say it'll be ready in about a week. It was easy to assemble...

<Zechs hears beeper>:Someone is trying to dock with us....

<Pizza dude>:This guy lives in some crazy places...first Mogadishu, now outer space??

<Zechs>:Pizza..? Let him in, I say!! Escort him with Virgoes!

<Quinze>:There's another shuttle behind him, sir....it's Queen Relena Peacecraft...and Duke Dermail's granddaughter, Dorothy Catalonia.

<Zechs>: Relena...?

<Relena>:Let me in, Milliardo!!

<Zechs>:No!

<Dorothy points cannon at terrified Pizza Dude>:If you don't let us on, we'll blow this guy to pieces!

<Pizza Dude>:No...not with anchovies and cream....

<Zechs grunts>:Oh, fine! Let them on!! (Blackmailing Earthnoids!!!)

<Pizza Dude>:I'd better get me a BIG tip for this....

(Shiuttle passes by Libra construction)

<Dorothy>:WOW! That is one large weapon!! Your brother really knows his stuff!

<Relena>:That is why I've arrived. To stop him before he gets people killed.

<Pizza Dude>: Here's your pizza, dude. Delivered in 30 minutes, no less.

<Zechs tips the Dude>: Now get out of here. I've instructed the Virgoes to escort you.

<Pizza Dude>:No thanks....um..I'll be gone now...

(runs past Dorothy and Relena)

<Relena>: Milliardo!!!

[SOMEWHERE]

<Heero>:Mission accomplished. Virgo carrier intact. But the space drives are all worn out....

(Pizza SpaceVan passes by)

<Heero>:There's my ticket.

next chapter (DOn't worry! Only five more to go!)