CHAPTER 5 - THE MAGIC OF A HOSPITAL BED 449073,421522

 

While the Scorpions have successfuly infiltrated and gained information on OZ and the Gundams, Zechs goes onto Tallgeese despite Noin's protests. A warning by Walker only serves to impassion Zechs, who boosts his way into a heart attack. Luckily, Noin is able to recover Zechs and Tallgeese before the Alliance. Confined to a hospital bed and comatose, Zechs lies still before Noin. While the other OZ soldiers simply thought he was hit by fluke AAA, Noin knows the truth.

 

<Noin>: Zechs...Zechs...why didn't you listen to me?

<Zechs>:.............

*****Note to readers:- Skip this part if you hate mush!****

<Noin>: Zechs...(holds his hand)why are you so filled with hatred?....You were never like this at Academy...

(Noin doesn't know about Walker's alert. She assumes Zechs boosted out of hatred for Occupiers of the Sanq Kingdom)

<Noin>: Somehow I like looking at you like this, Zechs...so at peace...calm...like we never had to go to war...oh Zechs...

(puts head on Zechs' chest)

.........FLASHBACK.....

<Zechs>: Wake up, Noin.

<Noin>: Sorry, must have dozed off, Cadet Zechs.

<Zechs>:That's odd. Yesterday at the training range you did the same thing...

<Noin>: Just a miss, that's all. Besides, we didn't finish first. Walker did.(rubs eyes)

<Walker,bursting in>: Yup, I win, you buy me beer!

<Zechs>: Noin LET you win.

<Walker>: Syeah right. I get a perfect score, and he sez it was a fluke. Pay up Marquise!

<Noin>: Pay the man, Zechs. He won fair and square.

<Walker>: If you didn't hold back, you woulda left me in the dust, Lucy.

<Noin>: What, me lose on purpose? Perish the thought!Cmon let's celebrate at the pool lounge.

<Zechs>: Ohh no...I'm not losing ANY MORE money.

<Noin>: We'll play for fun..this time:)

<Major Trieze>: Stand Hut, cadets!

(They salute)

<Trieze>: Good work, cadets. You three are the best we've ever had.

<Walker>: Aw shucks, Major.

<Zechs>: Thank you , major Trieze.

<Trieze>: I want you three to join a special force I'm creating. I'll call it Order of Zodiac, or OZ.Intrested?

<Noin>: What kind of force, sir?

<Trieze>: An elite force, separate from regular army.A force with soldiers like you three.

<Walker>: Any perks?

<Trieze>: It'll be the strongest and bravest warriors in history. What more could you want?

<Walker>: Free pizza for life. Plus a few Bentleys, more TV...

(Zechs and Noin sigh)

<Trieze>: Is this your way of saying no, Cadet Walker?

<Walker>:Yes.

<Treize>: You mean yes?

<Walker>: No.

<Zechs,nudging Walker>: He prefers research, Major. He wants to create better tools for sucess. Our success.

<Noin>: I'll go wherever Zechs goes.

<Trieze>: Skill AND wit. This is good. Report to my office first week after graduation for your assignments. And Cadet Walker, I hope you will still consider my offer.

(Treize walks out)

<Walker>: Hmph. Wha's that guy's problem?

<Zechs>: Sounds intresting, Noin. Perhaps we should think about it. Walker,try not to be rude to superior officers like that.

(Walker holds up fuzzy dice)

<Zechs>: Aaagh!(Noin laughs)

---Sitting on the Academy balcony, sunset---

<Noin>: It's beautiful...the sun, the stars..all of it.

<Zechs>: A brave, new world.

<Noin>: Do you think we'll be able to go to space? See the colonies?

<Zechs>: Maybe. With Trieze's unit, maybe we'll even get to go to the colonies.

<Noin>: You don't really want to join him, do you?

<Zechs>: Now what's wrong with that?

<Noin>: Well, I was hoping you'd join me at the Academy. I want to be an instructor here.

<Zechs>:Noin...I want you to follow your dreams. Don't go following me all the time.

<Noin>: But Zechs...

<Zechs>: No buts..I wouldn't want you killed now...(creeps close to Noin)

<Noin>: Zechs..I'd follow you anyway. You know that.

<Zechs>: Why do you keep insisting on making me look good?

<Noin>: I...I want you to fulfill your destiny, Zechs...there's nothing more I want in life. I want to help you fulfill that destiny.

<Zechs>: Come on Noin....you could be top dog if you wanted to be. I know for a fact that only you and Walker have ever beaten me in anything. Walker aside, there's no one else I'd want on the battlefield with me.

<Noin>: Don't worry about me, Millardo...

<Zechs>:Please, don't call me that. You know why I'm wearing this mask. That name hurts me....

<Noin>: One day, Zechs...one day you'll have to be yourself. You can't hide it from me, how can you hide from others all your life?

<Zechs>: I can trust only you with my identity, Noin...because you're special to me..(holds Noin's hand)

<Noin>: Even Walker doesnt know....and he's your best friend.

<Zechs>: There are some things people have to keep to themselves and the ones they care about...(Eye to eye with Noin)I have to believe in someone. I hope you can believe in me.

<Noin>: Always, Zechs....

--FLASHBACK OVER,NOIN WAKES UP--

 

<Noin>: Zechs...don't leave me..promise me you won't....

<Zechs, waking up from heart attack>: I won't Noin...I won't...(holds her head)

<Noin>: Zechs! (holds him close)Zechs....(sobs)....Thank God....

<Zechs>:Good to see you again, Noin. urrrgh!

<Noin>: Relax. Your body is still aching from Tallgeese. I toldja not to over do it.

<Zechs>: I guess you're right, Noin. What was I thinking back there? I'm not worthy enough for Tallgeese yet. It's a dueling craft, for the strong hearted and willed. I was just stubborn...

<Noin>: Don't put your life in danger like that again, Zechs..Walker's not around to pull your butt out of the fire!

<Zechs>: Actually, he saved my life again....(tells Noin about the warning alert)

<Noin>: He must be watching over us, Zechs....(Kisses Zechs) don't disappoint him now. We were meant to be, he said. Remember?

<Zechs>: Like he would say, "We've got two miney-u-te minutes, girl.Better make it two LONG minutes!" (Kisses Noin back) let's just wait...till I'm ready. Right now...I have an almost broken heart to mend...

<Noin>: Two minutes isn't barely enough.

<Zechs>: I know. Seeing as we're alone for a bit and that I can't move, I guess I'm under reprimand...

<Noin> You sure are, Lieutenant....say, do you remember the balcony those years ago?

<Zechs>: I guess so.

<Noin>: You were going to say something to me that night, Zechs. You never did...I saw it in your eyes, but you didn't say it..

<Zechs>:I don't understand....

<Noin>: When you said to believe in you...and when you said I was special to you...you meant that all the way...didn't you?

<Zechs>: Of course I did! Zechs Marquise keeps his word. You know that more than anyone. What are you trying to say?

<Noin>: Then for the love of God, Zechs...don't kill yourself....for me....please...?I..I don't care if you call me weak...I love you, Zechs Marquise....and if you pull another stunt like that.....I'll just crash Aries into you...I...I...(buries face in Zechs' chest)

<Zechs,hugs Noin>: I...didn't think I could mean much to anyone.....

<Noin>: We need you, Zechs...OZ needs you...I need you....don't think your worthless to anyone!

<Zechs>: I can't keep making these promises Noin....

<Noin>: I have one more promise for you, Zechs. Just one more. This one I want you to keep no matter what.

<Zechs>: What is it?

<Noin>: I don't want you to put flowers on my grave if I die. I won't do it either for you.

<Zechs>: I don't get it.

<Noin>: Zechs..I can't stop us from fighting in this war. We have to be top soldiers, at our peak all the time. That's why I believe that we have to have something in our future, something without all this bloodshed and sacrifice...our souls are bonded to each other Zechs....

Putting flowers on my grave would be to pronounce me dead, out of your life....so I'm asking you, Zechs....don' shut me out...ever...

<Zechs closes eyes, holds Noin tighter>: I ..I promise. No flowers.

<Noin>: Now...time for the other long minute.

Zechs and Noin kiss, this time lingering. This may be the last time they can get the time to do this, so Zechs lets all of his feelings out in that instant. He's only felt this way once, in Tallgeese.The rush, the exitement. Each moment may be his last, he realizes. Sharing a kiss with the woman you love is one thing, but keeping it forever in your heart...well, how is he ever going to learn? Tallgeese will have to wait.

---MOON BASE DOMON---

<Noventa>: We got the routes, Scorpio. We're ready for Grand theft auto.

<Scorpio, welding Phantom Scorpio's parts>: Alright. Keep me posted.

(Scorpio walks outside for some air)

<Scorpio, taking off his mask, looks at stars>: Guys...I'm sorry..I can't stay out here forever....soon I'll be coming back, only on the other side. Let's just hope I never have to meet you...

next chapter