CHAPTER 7- THE SPOILS OF WAR.

 

 

After a daring raid on the Siberia base, the Scorpions have come back into the fold. Each member has their doubts and insecurities, but their victory, which included the destruction of a Gemini Superfortress

and the Nuclear Missile Sattelite, has given them new spirit. Phantom Scorpio,grounded until now, has returned with a vengance, wielding the Shining Finger originally used by Domon Kashu a century ago. However, when he squares off against Zechs, he cannot bring himself to fight his former ally. Lady Une, embarrassed by a perverted prank (courtesy of Otto,the Great Chef),is now more angry, as her most meticulous plan to capture the Gundams collapses. Now the Scorpions are back, for good.

--SCORPION BASE--

<Noventa, talking to Lunar Colony civilian leaders>:These suits will be developed to help you establish your settlements...they're Torus space suits,so they can hold up to this Lunar climate better.

<Leader>: Thank you. Without your equipment and courage, we would have never been able to terraform this place.

<Leader II,a woman>: Why the masks, Silver Scorpion? You don't want people on Earth to know who you are?

<SilverScorpion>: No, milady. It is the women on Earth I have to hide from !(laughs, delegates laugh as well)

<Otto>: Where did that come from? Geez, I'm beginning to regret rescuing that old fart. Now he thinks he's Clark Gable or something...look at da ladies around him!

<Crimson>: If they take off his mask, they'll run like deers in a fire!

(Otto and Mardyev laugh)

<PhantomScorpio>:We intend to conduct more of these raids. Our objective is to weaken OZ enough for the Gundams to attack their facilities, as well as helping maintain our systems. This is only going to involve the four of us, as

(a): We're not counting on the Gundams or the space colonies to help us,in fact we're planning to raid some of the more affluent ones,

(b): We intend to keep Scorpion base a secret until war's end,

(c): And OZ seem to have the capabilty to destroy Leos and lesser suits with impunity.

<Crimson>:Hence, we four plus the Aquarius will be involved. The Pisces will stay here along with all the space forces, just in case. Too many troops on Earth would mean more casualties.

<Leader>: Now that we know the space colonies weren't responsible for sending the Gundams, we have to rely on you four.

<Food Leader stands up>: Scorpions, we are operating on enough food for one year. Unless you can find a sustainable supply, the synth soils can't process enough food to meet demand. Our isolation means that your expeditions have no room for error!

<Phantom>: We understand. We were all part of a system that manipulated us to fight meaningless battles..OZ,the Aliiance...now we understand we have to fight for our survival.Like our namesakes in the desert.

(After the meeting, Otto catches up to his boss)

<Otto>: Boss, there's something I have to talk to you about..two things, really...

<Phantom>: Spit it out, Otto.

<Otto>: Well, since we left Earth I haven't got any specific mech...I know I'm a scout and all, but I need to defend myself as well..(shows Phantom an arm injury sustained during the Siberia battle) I can't go on borrowing other people's stuff. Plus, the Space Scorpions need all the suits they can get..... whaddo I do, boss?

<Phantom>: Hmm....I realize that you don't have a unit like the rest of us....and we can't build any of the Gundams you have on that disk....We don't have the material or the knowhow..hmm....we've tried to reconstruct some of the ones we found here, though...

<Otto>: It's been my dream to pilot one of those things , boss....ever since we found this base, there's been nothing but shells and wreckage.

I need a suit, Phantom. I was thinking, maybe....

<Phantom>: My suit's too dangerous for you, Otto..with the God Gundam arm, I've been force fed information everytime I get into it...we're still working on that...maybe Mardyev and Noventa can help you... they're taking time off to explore wreck 2B96, the space station wreck.

<Otto>: They didn't find anything....I read their last report..

<Phantom>: We'll work on it, Otto.Don't worry, Chef. Now about your second problem...

<Otto>: Well, there's this girl.....(scratches head)

<Phantom laughs>: Whoooa!Way to go, Otto!>-) Got a picture?

<Otto>: Um, not exactly....I've seen her,though....uh...though I don't think she wants to see me...:>/

<Phantom>: COURAGE, dude!(pats Otto's back) Cmon, maybe some tequilla and bubbly can give you some! Coming? Cmon, Chef let's get cookin!

<Otto>:Iz nothing, really.... I gotta fix the first problem first... this lady can wait...

<Phantom>: Hey, don't lose it before you get to use it!

<Otto,shooing Phantom>: Just go away, boss....I'm headed for 2B96.

<Phantom>: Oh alright. You're young, you'll get it eventually.

(Phantom slips into elevator)

<Otto takes out a recon picture> *Sigh*...how am I gonna tell her?...Lady Une....it's impossible!(puts it away)

(Otto heads for 2B96 in a Shuttle)

<Phantom>: When your aide falls in love before you do.....*sigh* I need a life...

----CRASH SITE----

<Noventa,examining a girder>: Look at this metal, Mardyev. It's die cast, something we don't do often nowadays.

<Mardyev>: Yeah, everything's assembled these days, even colonies.

<ScavengerScorpion>: Some of the life support machinery is still operable. This is a very lucky find, sir.

<Mardyev>: Report to the Leaders and send a copy to the boss. They'll love this.

<Scavenger>: Aye aye.(salutes, runs to comm station).

<Mardyev>: This one looks quite different from the others..it's smaller and doesn't seem to have an industrial core...like it was meant to hold something...Noventa,are you listenning to me?(He isn't)

<Noventa,looking up>:......Sorry, Mardyev..I was thinking of the other Alliance leaders..that day...If Otto hadn't saved me that day, I would be with them and the dream of peace...dead.

<Mardyev puts hand on Noventa's shoulder>: Comrade Noventa...I can't say I understand how you feel. But peace isnt dead yet...if we can weaken OZ enough, maybe the Gundams can finish everyone off. I even heard there are another bunch of rebels somewhere...

<Noventa>: Idle rumours...You know,while I can't see Earth from here, I'm always thinking of it..the people here want to go home..to see people they love, people they miss...I wonder if anyone misses me?

<Mardyev>:Do you...have anyone to miss?

<Noventa>: My wife died a long time ago. My kids moved to colony ages ago...I don't even remember what they looked like anymore...I bet they don't even remember me...*sigh* The only person I really miss is my granddaughter Sylvia...I want to bring her here, away from the chaos...

<Mardyev>: Many people here want to do that too...

<Otto, at the drill site>: Yo! Whatcha got for me and the crew?

<Scavenger>: We've found some sort of hollow casing, similar to the one at Home base..hey wait,it's some kind of door...

<Otto>: Careful,now...we don't know what's in there...

<Scavenger>: Shoot. Spare parts...Lunar Titanium, say the spectrometers. False alarm, Chef. No mobile suits yet. Sorry..

<Otto,frustrated>: Damn!!!!(Throws stone far,far away)

<Mardyev>: OW! Hey, who did that? Dang Lunar gravity....sends things flying six times further than expected...

<Otto>: Scavenger, do you think those parts are scavengable? No pun intended...

<Scavenger>: Can't say, sir. Looks like Mobile Suit parts, but we can't tell for sure...maybe you and the other Scorpions can use it,sir.

<Otto>: Not a bad idea...(steps on floor switch)

The carvern rumbles, and Otto and the Scavengers fall over in surprise. They barely hold on to their equipment as another doorway opens beneath them. Outside, Mardyev and Noventa witness the structure rising, and are helpless to stop it. Otto falls into the hole, screaming....

<Otto>:AAaaaaaaa...aaa.....aah?Uh...ahhhhh!! eh? I'm not dead??Whoooaaa...

Otto stumbles out of the junkpile that broke his fall. He looks up the hole, and realizes he's in another chamber. It seems that the space station landed on something else, another structure...

<Otto>: Wow, the place is still humming...where am I?...

--OUTSIDE---

<Phantom, alerted to the accident>: Hooooleeey...Otto,anybody do you read me?

<Scavenger>: We're literally hanging on, boss..but Chef...he fell into some kinda pit....

<Phantom>: Otto!No!.... You guys hold on! We're gonna get you out! (signals cranes and Leos)

--INSIDE--

Otto walks through the gigantic hallway, whose machinery is still humming. Passing blinking lights,whirring fans and buzzing circuits, Otto looks for a way out. His comm is busted, and he's getting hungrier.The halls were immense, as if they were meant to be tread by mobile suits and not humans. Passing through columns of steel, Otto sees a bright light at the end...

<Otto,pressing button>: Maybe the blueprint system still works...oops, pressed playback instead...

(Terminal switches on)

<Rain Mikamura>:I'm closing this workshop down, Domon...

<Domon>:Just as well...We've got a better one at Neo Japan anyway. No need for this one out here in orbit...

<Rain>: It means more than that, Domon....I grew up here watching my father build robots and other sorts of machinery...it's not easy to just leave...

<Domon>: Rain....we have to let go. (puts hands on her shoulders from behind) I'm not really good at talk...but I know it's hard for you...I'm..still going to miss this place,too...it's where I met you...

I hope Rising Gundam can stand watch over this place...

-CUT OFF-

<Otto>: Rising Gundam....? There's a Gundam in here, after all...?Not just a shell? OK, let's find the kitchen....

--TWo DAYS LATER--

<Phantom>: Dig deeper, guys!

<Mardyev>: Boss, somethings activated dwown there...it's like the signature we detected at Scorpion Base with the Arm...

<Phantom>: It's still rising...what's going on..?

<Otto,kicking open a door>: Wow! This looks like some sorta lab! AWWWW DUUDE!

Otto pushes the doors apart to reveal.....a Mobile Suit!

<Otto>: Man!....Wow..look at this! An energy bow and arrow set, fully equipped cockpit...is that a Energy Buster weapon over there!?A BWS flight modifier...whoa, better find a way to get this stuff outta here!

 

<Scavenger>: The boulders have blocked our path through! It's impossible! Nothing short of an atom Bomb could clear this mess!

<Mardyev>: You better not be exaggerating...

<Scavengers around hole>: Alert! We've got something moving up, something BIG!

(The Scorpions aim at the hole)

<Otto, in cockpit>: Here goes! If I read this right.....

(BUster Gun blasts wreckage covering hole)

<Phantom>: Watch out! That's some heavy firepower! On my mark....One...two....

(Otto flies out in BWS, towing the Rising Gundam chassis)

<Mardyev>: W-wait!!

<Phantom>: Hold yer fire! What is it,Crimson?

<Crimson>: It's Otto's bio signature! He's in that...thing!

<Otto>: This is cool! Look what I found, guys!

<Phantom>: What is that,Silver?

<Noventa>: There's nothing like that I can remember...I thought all the old Gundams were tanked...anyway, lets get him out of there!The whole place is collapsing!

(Scorpions scramble out)

--SCORPION BASE, NEXT DAY--

<Otto>: It's got no head and looks like some panels are missing...but you can fix it up, right Mardyev?

<Mardyev>: Well....

<Phantom>: Crimson, he wants a mech so bad.... and he IS a Scorpion.

<Mardyev>: Why me? You're head of design!

<Phantom>:I have no idea how to fix something like this up. You built up Phantom Scorpio AND Tallgeese, remember? Even if I design them, you're the one that actually creates the stuff....

<Otto, chewing on a cupcake>: *chomp* So you'll do it?

<Mardyev>: I'll be held up here...and I'll need a working radar deflector, like they have at the Baghdad installation. That's a top secret burger joint in the Middle East.

<Noventa>: Burger joint??

<Mardyev>: Code for assembly plant,many Mobile Suit types. Also a transit point for patrols.

<Noventa>:I wish people just spoke English around here...

<Phantom>: Chef, Crimson, you stay here and work on this psuedo-Gundam.I'll go with Silver on the next raid. The Baghdad facility is our target.

<Chef>: Not so fast,boss. My assistant cooks say that the base is Tachyon guarded. Seems they're taking no chances with security after the Siberia raid.

<Phantom>: That puts the PS out of the equation. I have to disable the tacyhon generators manually, before anything can be done. This ain't going to be easy....

<Silver>: Baghdad base is close to both the Mosoul and Basrah installations. If you get caught, we're in deep trouble. There are a minimum of 200 mobile suits between them, and they're not just Leos. Don't forget the numerous patrols that pass through.

<Otto>: There's also a Maganac presence in the area. You know, those yellow freedom fighters? We'd better be careful.

<Phantom>: We have to get to the Sanq Kingdom before OZ does. That's the last Alliance stronghold, and we have to convince the people there to leave before OZ captures them. That's priority.

<Silver>: What about that mech at Siberia? Tallgeese, you call it?

<Phantom>: I can handle him. You have to convince the folks to leave.

<Silver>: No problem, I've gained a new....charm.(Gives Don Juan pose)

<Scorpions>: ???

<Scorpion fan/mechanic>: Silver! It's you, SILVER!!! SCRREAM!! GIRLS, GIRLS!HE's HERE!!! SCRREAM!

<Phantom>:*sigh* It's the mask....chicks dig the mask....

<Silver>: I guess I still got it!

<Phantom>: Got wrinkles, you mean....

--CRIMSON'S WORKSHOP--

<Otto>: Let's get started on my dream mech!

<Mardyev>: Hold it, hold it! Geez, you're in a hurry!

<Otto>: I'm in no hurry. I just..want to see someone on Earth again..

<Mardyev puts on welding mask>: Girlfriend? Didn't know you had one...

<Otto>:Not a girlfriend...just someone I want to meet...a celebrity, you could say...

Otto puts on his welding mask,pondering on the tingle he feels, looking at the recon picture of Lady Une...Why is his heart beating so hard?

(Mardyev thumps Otto on the head) : Hey Dumbass, you just welded your belt to the wall! Pay attention! You're the guy who wants it to be built fast!

<Otto>: Sorry...

Can Otto ever tell her how he feels ? Can he tell himself how he feels?

next chapter