CHAPTER 8- WHO ARE YOU?WHAT AM I? (PART ONE)

When we last saw Zechs Marquise, he was planning to go to his homeland, the Sanq Kingdom. He also brought along for the first time, the fearsome Tallgeese mobile suit. A setback at Siberia has only strengthened his resolve. While failing to capture Phantom Scorpio, he is now focused on regaining the Sanq Kingdom. The last time, forbidden Alliance laser weaponry, added to his own inexperience in Tallgeese, forced him to retreat. Now, no more. Ironically though, Phantom and Silver Scorpion are on their way there as well....

(We hear the buzz of PlaneEngines)

<Zechs>: There she is...home.

<Noin,in plane with Zechs>: It's beautiful...everytime I see it.

<Zechs>: I am much better equipped now than the last time. The Occupiers won't be so fortunate this time.

<Pilot>: Rendezvous with OZ squadrons at border imminent, sir.

<Zechs>: We underestimated them last time, but I'm ready for them.

<Noin>: Zechs, do you think they'll have reinforcements?

<Zechs>:I doubt it. The Alliance has totally collapsed. The only bastion they have left is this base.

<Noin>: Then there are the Maganacs...and those Scorpions....

<Zechs>: They probably wouldn't be intrested in this small kingdom. You saw that they only strike places with strategic importance.To them, this is just another backwater kingdom. Nothing to steal...

<Noin>: We can worry about them later. The squad leaders are hailing us.

<Squad leaders>: Buenos dias, senor Zechs. We're awaiting your orders.

<Noin salutes back>: Be ready for anything, soldiers. They've got some heavy weaponry, and they've even managed to capture some of our craft from the last sortie.

<LeoLeader>: Sir, what are the mission parameters now?

<Zechs>: We must try to destroy as little as possible. If we're to win the people's confidence, we musn't act like we're simply replacing one conquerer by another.

<LeoLeader whines>: And just how are going to do that,Lieutenant Colonel Zechs? These streets are awful narrow...

(Noin wants to bark back, but Zechs stops her)

<Zechs>: We'll drop on their heads, like in Nairobi. Leave the cannons to me.

<LeoLeader>: Yes sir! Forgive me for my hastiness.

<Zechs>: Alright. Just do your job. OZ is no place for slackers!

<OZzies>: Yes sir!

<Noin,to self>: Zechs..you're so masterful...

---UPPER STRATOSPHERE---

<Scorpio, gliding with fins>: We're almost there, Silver. Let's go over the plan one more time.

<Silver>: I'll use my knowledge of the palace to get to the commander, while you take care of the OZ forces outside.

<Scorpio>: I hope you can convince Colonel Gruber to come to our side..he's a tough nut to crack. Heard he followed Zechs around because he suspected something. Guess he's the annoying stalker type.

<Silver>: I don't really like his methods..he burned the palace and killed off the royal family...only a few escaped, though one looked a lot like Darlian's daughter...

<Scorpio>: Activate drop mode for Scorpio-02.

<Silver's thrusters go off>: Here goes! Geronimoooooooo!

<Aquarius>: We'll get to objective Two as planned ,Sir. Signing off.

(Aquarius activates stealth field, moves out of atmosphere)

(Silver splashes into the Sanq Lake)

<Scorpio>: Heat sensors confirm it. There's a hotbed of activity in your area. Mobile suits, artillery...you better be careful.

<Silver>: The base has some powerful laser defenses. It may hold for a while. (Slips into aquaduct) ...Damn, I'm too old for this...

<Scorpio spots Tallgeese>: I can do this, now......(glides)

---FRONT LINE BATTLE---

(Laser cuts through Aries): Arrrgh!

<Noin>: Damn, the drop just isn't fast enough!

<Zechs,destroying one cannon>: Just keep on going! I've got the others in my sights!(Fires)

<LeoLeader lands>: Fire!

(Leos fire missile bazookas at cannons)

The assault is going well, as more and more OZ forces land in the castle compound. Mobile Suits though, come out of panels in the floor and fire on the OZ forces. Tallgeese is whirring and spinning, avoiding fire as only Zechs Marquise can.The Alliance forces, though strong, are slowly overcome as more of their numbers fall. Inside, Silver Scorpion

is crawling through the vents...

<Silver, in vent>: *Cough* This must be it...there he is, Colonel Heinrich Gruber. The "Butcher of Bremen" they called him.

<Gruber>: Damn these OZ bastards! Who would dare attack a facility like this? With this security, who would dare attack this base? I can't believe the Alliance HQ fell so easily!

<Soldier>: Sir, Leos are reporting heavy losses! The cannons are being systematically destroyed one by one! We'd better get outta here!

<Gruber>: Nonsense! We stay!

(Silver comes out of vent)

<Soldier>: Intruder! Ack! (gets gun kicked away)

<Gruber pulls out gun>: You aren't taking me without a fight!

<Silver>: Heinrich! Wait! It's me, Noventa! (About to slide off mask)

<Gruber>: You lie! Noventa was assasinated at New Edwards! I'm not that stupid! (fires at Silver)

<Silver>: Damn...it's stuck!!!! Heinrich! It's me, I tell you!(Rolls around avoiding bullets)

<Gruber>: Leos! Scorched Earth! We're dusting off!

<Silver>: You can't! There are innocent Sanq Kingdomers down there!

<Gruber>: Even if we lose, OZ aren't taking us intact! They'll just have to find their own civilians! Leos! Cannons! Scorched Ear-----

<Silver>: I can't let you do that!!Gruber!! You despot! (Shoots him)

<Silver,mumbling>: To think I picked this guy to lead the assault...Sylvia, I hope you can forgive your grandpa...

<Zechs bursting in>: I see you've taken to wearing a mask too, Gruber.It's pretty easy for a devil like you , isn't it?

<Silver>: I'm not...uh..yeah!

<Zechs points handgun at Silver>: So, you thought you could get away from me, Gruber?

<Silver stands still>: You? Hmph. I'd rather jump into the lake.

<Zechs>: You led the assault on the Sanq Kingdom. You knew that several countries were opposed to the expansion of the military. The Sanq Kingdom was one of those countries! Since the Royal family was influential in this reigon,you thought it best to kill them off!Even your commander, Noventa didn't approve!

(Silver whispers to self: Yes I did....)

(Silver spots a little Millardo in the portrait behind Zechs)

<Silver>: Holy Motha....he's ....Millardo Peacecraft??I understand now...

(Zechs shoots Silver in the chest, Silver falls through the window and into the lake)

<Silver>: Bulletproof vest..never leave home without it! *splash*

(Radios Phantom): It's a no-go, Phantom! We might as well let OZ take over! They've done nothing but plunder this place!....and I let them!!

I'm getting away in Scorpio II! We've got nothing left to fight for here!

<Phantom, fires Scorpion Claw at Noin>: What.....???Nothing...?At all?

(Noin dodges)

<Silver>: Believe me, Marquise has every right to this place!

<Phantom: Don't know what you mean, but if we can't convince anyone here....

<Silver>: Trust me, Phantom! Leave Marquise in charge! ( Boosts out of the water)

<Zechs, gets back in Tallgeese>: YOU"RE NOT GETTING AWAY!

<Phantom>: There ya are! (Grabs Tallgeese's leg with manriki gusari chain)

<Zechs>: You! Can't..get away!! Damn! I can't escape this grip! Going to verniers!

<Phantom>: Boosters Full! I can't let them catch Silver!

Phantom Scorpio pulls back on his captured opponent, dragging Tallgeese down. Even with verniers, Zechs somehow cannot escape PS's grip. He tries aiming the Dober Gun, but the ScorpionClaw knocks it out of Tallgeese's arm. Zechs and Phantom are on the verge of breakdown, as blue thruster fire engulfes the area in between. The chain, made out of Gundanium, stays firm.

<Zechs>: Why are you always butting into my affairs?

<Phantom>: Well, it's just that I can't let you get to my friend over there! D-uh!

<Zechs>: You're friends with Gruber???

<Phantom>: No, he's over there! (Shows Gruber's body lying in the lake) The guy in the Scorpio is not Gruber!

<Zechs to self>: And I shot him....!! AArgh, father! More innocent blood on my hands! I've failed you again....so close to home!!

(Tallgeese boosts at Phantom, swings beam saber)

<Phantom>: OK Zechs, if it's a fight you want,it's a fight you get! (kicks Tallgeese in mid air)

<Zechs>: Good move! But it won't last long! (tries a hammer blow)

(Phantom somersaults, cutting Tallgeese with the Manriki Gusari)

<Phantom>: I'm not going to lose to an ancient suit like that! (Cannonballs Tallgeese)

<Zechs>: You talk too much! (beam saber clashes with manriki gusari)

<Phantom>: Dammit!! Even with electrocharge, that beam's pure energy!! AarrrrrgH!! It's cutting through!

<Noin>: Zechs! Laser Cannon! Watch out!! (Aries gets into the brawl)

<Phantom>: Outta my face! (Swings Noin into Zechs, who is blinded by Aries in his face)

<Noin>: That laser cannon is aimed at us!!! (Spots one remaining cannon locked on Tallgeese)And we're tangled up!

<Phantom>: Noin!Zechs! Damn!!!!!(Boosts toward cannon, which is charging up)

<Zechs>: I can't move! Damn, who is this Scorpio!?

<Phantom>: Here goes....(Activates information download,left arm glows)

(Cannon Fires, PS is also in the line of fire)

<Noin>: Is he crazy?????

<Phantom>: Shiiiiningggggggg.....FINGAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

The Shining finger manages to block the beam, and PS slowly goes toward the cannon.The energies of the Finger push the laser back until PS reaches the barrel itself, resulting in an immense blue-yellow flash. The cannon overloads,heats up and explodes, sending PS flying into the horizon. Zechs and Noin manage to untangle their mobile suits, but Phantom Scorpio is already headed east, out of Tallgeese's range. Zechs thinks about giving chase, but the Sanq Kingdom is now under his control.For now,Phantom Scorpio has escaped.......but why did he save Zechs?

<Noin>:Why...did he do that? And how???.....

--IN THE THRONE ROOM--

<Zechs,with mask off>: I'm sorry Father..(Looks at portrait) I've spilled too much blood to succeed you. I understand our family's commitment to total pacifism..but I cannot agree...She,she is the one...

(points to Relena's baby pic)

<Noin>: He's finally done it. He's freed the Sanq Kingdom. And that Phantom Scorpion helped him do it.....the question is..why?

---SUB-ORBIT, ABOVE THE RED SEA,TWO DAYS LATER---

(Silver and Phantom relaunch from Aquarius)

<Scorpio>: Alright, Silver. Tell me what all that crap back at the mansion was about! You WANTED OZ to take over the Sanq Kingdom??Are you forgetting whose side you're on?

<Silver>:I know..who Zechs Marquise really is... I don't know what side we're on.

<Scorpio>:So do I, he's Zechs Marquise! We were at Academy together, Noventa! I don't think he'd keep any secrets from me! He was my best friend!

<Silver>: You knew Zechs Marquise....before Zechs, there was another name...Milliardo Peacecraft...heir to the Peacecraft throne...

<Scorpio>: Hey, this is no time for jokes! Zechs is a pretty uptight guy, but he's no royalty! Come on, why would he hide?

<Silver>: I ordered that the Sanq Kingdom be convinced to accept the Alliance...but before I knew it, Septum sent Gruber to attack Sanq Kingdom. I now know that Milliardo Peacecraft escaped thanks to Darlian....

<Scorpio thinks hard>: Hmmm...his socks were 'M.P", yanno... Seriously...Zechs Marquise is Milliardo Peacecraft? Explains why he'd want to take over the Kingdom so fast.. But why didn't he tell me?

<Silver>: We're wearing our masks for the same reason, comrade. So we can forget our pasts...

<Computer>: ALERT ALERT. Active Gundanium detected. Designates 03,04,05 in vicinity. 02 is en route to coordinates 324226..(Map generates exact fix)

<Silver>: Oh no, Gundams! Just what we need.... they're practically next door!

<Scorpio>: Don't panic, we got backup here.

(Stealth Trucks appear behind them)

<Trucker>: Alright, boss. Aquarius is cruising above us. When you give the all clear, we'll pull out. These lunar Titanium chains should hold the excess baggage.

<Silver>: Remember, we're here for food generators as well as weaponry. Leave the radar jammers to me. Scorpio, time for you to drop.

(Scorpio activates fins) Dropping. ETA 20 minutes. And watch for those Gundams! ....<to self>: Zechs=Milliardo....who woulda thought... I mean...aren't WE the good guys?

to be continued.....