College Girl

By Melville's Best Friend

 

 

 

I hated this school with a passion. I guess it was my own fault, though. I wanted to go to college, but I didn't want to be on the front page of every newspaper, with the press constantly bugging me, and the students upset with 'miss high-and-mighty' at their school, so I went to a small low key college. It's called Amazon. A dumb name for a college, I know, but I was free from the burdens of a diplomat. It had just been too long. I had no more influence with any delegation whatsoever. The only role I played was the 'hot' girl diplomat every nasty old man in there wanted to take advantage of. I had had enough of that. Quatre was the only one who knew where I was. He helped me cover my tracks pretty well, I must say. I missed them, though. That was another downside. The good side was that I was the star player in the girl's volleyball team. Ha!

I always did like volleyball, and this sport was the only thing keeping me at the school. I didn't have any friends, or family. None of the studentswell, no. Strike that. None of the female students ever talked to me. I was always giving off a negative vibe. I really really really hated the school. The guys, thoughUggg. The guys were always over me, which made the girls madder at me. It was either this or really nasty old guysthis was a little bit better.

I was thinking all this from my chair in Algebra. My head and arms were resting on the table. I swear, if I could've seen myself, I would have thought I had a hangover. That must be what everyone else thought. Many guys had asked me if I was okay. I just sat there. I didn't even look up. I have to admit; I didn't even notice him sit down. I did, however, feel eyes glaring at me from all directions. I sat up and looked around the room. Every girl in the class was glaring at me. Now, I had to stare forward, eyes in shock, as I tried to think what the problem might be. I picked up my mirror. No big deal. I always wore my makeup the same way. My hair looked a little better than usual, but that wasn't a problem. I put the mirror down, and looked at my clothes. Shorts, and a T-shirt. Everyone had these length shorts on, and little shirts nowadays. So what was wrong?

I heard a throat cleared beside me, and turned to look at the person. My jaw must have hit the floor the way he was laughing. Duo Maxwell, in all his sexy American glory was sitting next to me, at my college. I squealed, and hugged him, seemingly squeezing the air from his lungs. He hugged the same way, so it was okay.

"What are you doing here?" I asked when we parted.

"Going to an incognito college, like yourself."

"You knew I was here?"

"UmSee, that's the thing. You tell Quatre everything, so we decided to pay him a visit. We got what we wanted to hear, obviously."

"What? Wait just a minute. 'WE'?"

"Ooops. It was suppose to be a surprise."

I was about to die of joy. "Who all's here?"

"All of us."

I had almost past out. This was too good to be true! All my friends were here, the only people I needed in the world! I was so happy. This school was about to get a whole lot better.

"Quatre tells me you changed your name to suppress your real identity. Christina. Where'd you get that name from?"

"It was my birth mother's name. It's pretty, don't you think?"

He smiled warmly. "Yeah."

Suddenly, my face turned bright red as I remembered something. Duo questioned me.

"What's wrong?"

"Are you sure Heero's here?"

"Yeah. Look, you don't" I cut him off.

"100% positive?"

"Yes, what's wrong?"

I buried my face in my hands. Duo continued starring at me, his eyes questioning my sanity.

"I changed my last name, too."

"Oh my gosh." He laughed out loud. I could feel our desk shaking. The professor chose that time to walk in. My head was still on the table, and Duo was still laughing.

"Ms. Yuy? Are you and your friend alright?"

 

                                  ~ after class~

 

"I can't believe you named yourself after him. That's so funny." Duo hadn't stopped talking about it, or laughing about it since class started. I was really about ready to sock him. That's the glory of college, I thought. He has no idea what classed I'm taking. Martial arts was one of my best. My eyes grew evil, as I began to laugh wickedly. Duo stopped talking to look at me. I realized I was being creepy, and apologized. We walked together. Neither one of us had classes for the rest of the day. As we were catching up on old times, a boy walked up to me.

"Hey Christina!"

My eyes narrowed.

"Brett."

"Are you busy now?" he questioned. I have to give him some credit. He was pretty good-looking. He used to be the best looking man at school. But now the pilots were here. I smiled inwardly. I revealed nothing on my face.

"I" I was just going to lie to him, but I liked him. He was a nice guy, and a good person. He always tried to make me feel like his best friend. I looked at him. He had the most gorgeous puppy dog eyes. I felt my lip quiver as I gave in.

"Duo, I'll see you later, okay?" He was stunned. I knew there was going to be a long talk when I got back. "Where are you staying?"

"We're all in Apollo's dorm, room 1215."

I kissed him on the cheek, and left. Brett and I went to a restaurant by the college. It was a little Italian place with really good spaghetti. I loved it. As we were eating, I saw Duo sneak in. I sweat-dropped. Brett was still talking.

"You know, you could go all the way with volleyball."

"What do you mean?"

"Are you going to major in it?"

"I don't know. I kinda' like martial arts."

"Yeah, it's fun."                    * Reader, we took the class together. I was better. HA! *

"What are you planning on doing with your life?"

"I want to settle down early, and start a family. I want kids so badly, Chris."

I blinked. "Children?"

"Yeah. Oh, come on. Like you've never thought of kids."

"Of course I have. It's just I don't know. I don't think I'll ever find a guy that will stay with me." Oh my gosh. Did I just say that out loud? I heard Duo drop his water. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh.

"Chris?"

Regaining my composure, I looked at him, stunned, as he planted a kiss on my lips.

Duo fell out of his chair. I stood up. Why the heck was I crying?

"I have to go." I left him there, sitting in that booth. I waited for Duo outside.

"What was that? I told you Heero was back, and you go on a date with another guy?"

He stopped screaming when he saw the tears streaming down my face.

"Oh, Lena. I'm sorry." He hugged me, this time, gently. We walked back to campus in silence.

We went to my dorm, instead of his. He sat in a chair while I laid on my bed, still crying. He waited until I was finished before he started talking.

"Lena, what's wrong?" I didn't reply.

"I come over here to find that you've taken on a new persona. You're acting differently. I saw the way people looked at you. You're not popular here, are you?"

"This isn't high school. I'm not suppose to be everyone's best friend."

"But you're suppose to have at least one."

"I don't care about that. I'm happier without all those people trying to pry into my life. Now that you guys are here, I guess I don't have to worry about it anymore."

"Are you okay?"

"About what? Brett?"

"About everything that happened back there."

"I like him, Duo. He was the only guy that didn't just want my body, but, me. He's so sweet, and nice. He's everything Heero wasn't." Oh, gosh. There I go again. I placed a hand over my mouth. "I didn't mean to say that."

"Yes you did. It's what you've been feeling for so long. I don't blame you."

"It's been 3 years, Duo. I'm not going to wait forever. I'm tired of waiting. I'll openly admit that I'm head-over-heels in love. But, I don't think that would do any good. He doesn't see me as anything more than amission." I looked at the teddy bear. Oh yeah. I still had it. "I'll never stop loving him. It makes me happy to think about him. Hey, Duo?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you guys really planning to stay?"

"Yup. All of us. Even Wu-man."

"How come? Are you still trying to protect me?"

"Nope. We all wanted to see you. We missed you, Lena. You're our best friend."

I had to smile at that. We all were very close. I happened to glance over at my digital clock. "Crap!" I screamed. I had practice. "Duo, I gotta go to practice."

"Okay. You wanna come over tonight?" There was no class tomorrow, and I, being miss anti-social, didn't have a roommate, so I agreed.

"Is that okay with all of you?"

"Sure. I'll see you after practice."

"Great."

 

 

Brett was there, at practice. He loved watching me play. I thought it was pretty cute. Simone walked up to me, the second best player.

"He really likes you."

I flipped the ball continuously in my hands. I pretended not to care. As the captain of the team, I got everyone started.  We ran some warm-up drills before actually playing. I was getting really hot from all we'd been doing. It usually got hot in the stuffy gym, so every girl was in shorts and a spot's bra. I wiped my forehead, and served. The newest girl, Vicky, tried to hit the ball, and missed. She was way off. I called out to her, and told the other girls to keep playing. She walked over to me, a little scarred.

"What are you thinking when you go for the ball?" I questioned.

"All the right moves to make. I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard."

"Okay. Don't worry about that. We all look like goofs out there. If you're too worried about what you look like, then you won't have fun. That's the whole reason you're playing, right?"

"Yeah. I love the game, but"

"Nu-uh. Nothing else matters. Go on out there." She joined the game, and I watched as she easily hit the ball back over the net. I smiled.

"Hey, Chris? Did you see?"

"Yeah. She's a true natural at this! Who'da thunk?" I screamed, and joined back in the game.

The girls laughed. It took me off guard, I must admit. I think they respected me. It made me a little tense. My thoughts weren't on practice because of that. Big mistake. When I tried to keep the ball from hitting a blank spot, I must've tripped on something. All I really knew was my foot hurt, and it hurt badly. "Darn it." I muttered. "Let this be a lesson to all of you." I smiled a little. "Always keep your head in the game." They smiled, taking their minds off the expressions of anguish I was making. Brett was at my side soon. He picked me up, and sent someone to get ice. I yelled at the girls to go on back to their dorms. They weren't going to be able to practice with an injured player in front of them. Brett put the ice on my leg. It started to sting.

"Ow, ow, ow , ow." I closed my eyes.

"It's already started swelling. I think it's a sprain. There are some crutches in the back that you can use."

I smiled at him. "Thanks, Brett." He came back soon with the crutches and a wrap for my foot. He was so gentle. His touch made my skin feel like it was on fire. I shook my head to loose the thoughts that were quickly forming. When he finished, he apologized for the kiss earlier.

"I'm sorry I was so forward."

"No, don't be. I'm sorry I acted like a freak. I've never had a boyfriend before. All the guys I've met don't treat me like I'm anything special."

"You're very special, Christina. You mean the world to a lot of people." I looked down. He continued. "I know you act like you don't care, but underneath, I know you're not that callous. You've got the most pure heart in the world There's something you're hiding, isn't there?"

I jolted my head up. "There's nothing wrong with me, Brett. I have nothing to hide. I just like my privacy. Hey, I have some friends to meet. You can go back to your dorm."

"Will you be okay?"

"I'm a big tough girl. I can handle it, thanks." He walked me to the gym doors, and turned around to face me once more. "Is it alright if I kiss you goodnight?"

"No, I'm not comfortable with that." I whispered. I soooooo wanted to give in to my lips. They wanted that kiss. But I couldn't. I had to stay faithful toI dropped my head. "I gotta go. I'll see you over the weekend, maybe."

"Great!" He said, and walked off. I had never had crutches before. It wasn't all that comfortable trying to get to the guys' dorm with them. I had to pause a lot, to get my balance back. When I got to the steps of their dorm, I grimaced. There were so many steps. I put down the crutches, and got opened my duffle. It was getting cold, and my bra was allowing my body to reveal that.. I left the zipper a little ways down, and closed the duffle back. I then realized there was no way I was getting up the stairs. I whimpered, and crossed my arms, trying to think of a way to make this work. None other than Heero Yuy joined me from behind.

"That was a rather pathetic noise." He startled me, and I stumbled back. He caught me, of course. "You should be more careful." He then saw my foot. "What happened?" he questioned, examining it.

"Ow! Jeeze! Did you have to poke it that hard?" I sat down on a step, and tried to make him stop. He still pestered my foot.

"Heero? OW! THAT HURTS!" screamed. I jerked my foot away, and was about to hit him, when he stopped me. He took both my wrists in his hands, and looked at me.

"This is a pretty bad sprain. It's really swollen. What happened?"

"I was practicing, and fell on it by accident. No big deal. It doesn't hurt that much." I lied. He proved it, too, by slightly squeezing it. I gasped, and a tear fell. It really did hurt, now. I wasn't just being a baby. He picked me up, and carried me up to their dorm. He sent Duo to get my stuff. They all freaked out about my foot. I sweat-dropped over all the attention I was getting. I could've been on fire and they would have paid the same amount of attention to me. They put ice on it, and re-wrapped it. Quatre took a good, long look at it. He had learned a thing or two from his sisters, I guess.

"It's a bad sprain. I'll give you some medicine to stop the pain and make the swelling go down." He patted me on the head. I felt like a total idiot. Trowa started talking to me about what happened.

"You play volleyball?"

"She's the captain of the team, too." Duo chimed in.

"It's all I have to keep me sane. I hate this school." I leaned back on the couch. Duo had turned on a movie. It was a romance chick-flick. The pilots groaned. Duo and Quatre just moved closer to the TV. It was a sad sight. Wu Fei went to bed, muttering something about weak men watching women movies, and Trowa left to sleep, too. He had to get up early for something in the morning. Heero came and sat next to me. I continued to stare at the movie, until I felt sleepy. I guess I must've leaned over onto Heero, 'cause I jolted up when I felt I'd hit someone.

"Sorry" I said when I recognized who it was.

"Don't be." He pulled me back over to him to rest once more on his shoulder. It was relaxing, being this close to him. I always did feel safest with Heero.  Now, reader, as enticing as this must appear, I was calm. My head was on my shoulders, and I was in control. Yeah right. Come on, now. As if I could be so stupid. There I was, lying on his shoulder, feelings, thoughts, emotions, swept through my body. After awhile, I though I had my evil body under control. Then he put his arm around me. Darn him!

Sure, it would've been easy to just stay there, under his arm, safewarmBut, I wasn't that strong, nope. So, I started a conversation.

"How've you been, Heero?" Conveniently for me, my head never left his shoulder.

He didn't say anything. Howlike him. I sighed. Maybe I was better off with Brett. I sighed. It was the deep sigh of someone who knew this wasn't going to work out. Of course, Heero picked up on it.

"Are you okay?" he asked. The funny thing about it was: he didn't care. I could hear it in his tone. I looked up at him. I sat up, and starred forward. I could do better than this. I could do better than Heero Yuy. I could. There was no change in my life now that he was here. I smiled, trying to shake off the uneasy feeling I had just given myself.

"It's getting late. I'd better go." I got up, and thought I was going to let myself out the door, but Heero was there. He got my duffel and told me he would walk me home. Notice, reader, that I wrote TOLD. Nothing really was ever a question with him.

"Thanks, but that won't be necessary. Duo promised to walk me home." I had locked eye contact with Duo since I sat up. He took his cue, and met me at the door.

"I almost forgot, Lena!" he said, with a cheerful smile on his face. He was such a faker. I looked at Heero. His eyes were questioning.

"I had asked Quatre, but he said he wanted to watch this movie. It's one of his favorites." In case you don't know, reader, Quatre and I are best friends. We go way back. I hoped that my little white lie worked on Heero. He looked at Quatre, who nodded. Now, Quatre isn't one to lie, so I assume Heero believed me. He nodded his agreement, and let Duo lead me home.

It was a rather pleasant walk, I must say. Even though I was freezing, and it was 1:00 in the morning. I was really tired. I had to go to practice again in the morning. I doubt they'd let me play, though. Stupid ankle. Duo had kept silent the walk home. It could have been the fact that I was still having trouble with the crutches. It could've been he was mad at me for taking him away from his movie. I had no idea what it was, and, frankly, I didn't care. I just needed to have a moment away from Heero. He did not need to be the last thing I saw before I went to bed.

When we got to my room, Duo gave me a kiss on the forehead, put his hand to my cheek, and left. Now, let me tell you, that was frustrating. Duo without anything to say? I flumped in my bed. My sleepiness was put on hold when I thought about Duo. He had obviously worked hard for Heero and I to meet again, and here I was, acting likewell, Heero. I turned on the news to calm myself down. (still finding politics a vast part of my lifesigh) What I saw was horrible. There was apparently a cult that had human sacrifices. This was rather gross, so I turned off the TV. The news haunted my nightmares.

 

 

 

Disclaimer: I have wasted valuable time writing 'I dono owna gundam wing' (to be spoken w/ an Italian accentlike the Mario brothers!) when, all along, disclaimer stated it all. Oh, what a world, what a world! So! There you have chapter one of College Girl. If this is appealing to anyone out there, please, let me know. I hate to write something that no one wants. L How sadWell! I have said all I needed to say! Bye fella-lellas!