College Girl

Chapter 2

By Melville's Best Friend

 

 

 

"You're late, Christina"

Really. Why did that have to tell me that? It wasn't like I don't have a watch. It wasn't like I was.strike that.use to be the MOST punctual person on the entire planet.no.strike that.the entire UNIVERSE!  I hate it when people are so ignorant. Let this be a lesson to you, readers. People are stupid no matter where you go, no matter what you do. They will always find you.

So, here I am, with a sprained ankle, late for the first time ever to a practice, and they want to goad me about it. I hobbled over to the girl that told me I was late. Her name was Yolanda. Yolanda Tyquanda La' Shantwanda the 3rd..Cheree. She just stared at me, dumbly, and once again stated I was late.

"If you don't want this crutch up your skinny little." I was stopped by Brett, who, duh, had come to watch me practice.or not practice.whichever way you care to see it, reader. He put his hand over my mouth, and drug me off, telling the girls to go ahead and get started.  He sat me down on the bleachers, and tried to start up a conversation. "How's your foot?" he questioned. I really was not in the mood for this.

"Fine. I went to the doctor this morning, and he said I'll be fine." I answered. I kept my eyes on practice, yelling out when they were doing something stupid.

"Kara! The objective of the game is to NOT let the ball hit on your side of the net. Can you try that for me? Please?" I yelled. I must be PMS or something.He tried again.

"So, where's your coach?"

"Ha! Coach Burns? She's never here. It would take someone sober to manage this team, and she can't seem to manage that."

"So you're in charge?"

"Yeah. It's all me."

"Too bad the championship is coming up. You guys could still win, you know. You don't have to play in order for the team to win."

I didn't acknowledge that. How could I? This sport was all I had, and now I couldn't go all the way. There was no way we would win w/out me. Not to sound stuck-up or anything, but they can't play if someone's not there to bring them confidence, and they were fresh out of confidence.

"Lana, get off your butt, and get in the game! Ellen, I want to see you serve. Don't roll your eyes at me, Tyresha, I'mo get ghetto if I need to, girl." I think I was scarring Brett. Ha! We sat there for a while, before I remembered the news last night.

"Have you heard about that cult that's around here? It's scary. I saw it on the news last night. Apparently they use human sacrifices."

"For what?" he asked, not seeming to be paying any attention to what I was saying, which was odd.

"I don't know. I turned it off after I heard that. It was way too creepy."

"Are you afraid?" He continued to stare blankly at the wall.

"Me? No. I think I would welcome death sometimes."

"You what?"

Man. Why do I always do that? This annoying habit of saying everything I think is really starting to irk me.

"I meant." I didn't get to finish my statement, because Heero, Quatre, and Duo showed up. I sweat-dropped. This thing where Duo follows me wasn't working for anyone. Heero looked nonchalant about Brett. How annoying. He could have at least shot him a glare. But, no. He just walked in and sat down next to me.

"Do you guys always wear ONLY sports bras?" Duo asked. Did I really have to tell you it was Duo? No. Even a moron could've figured THAT out.

"We wear pants, too." I commented.

"This sport just got a lot more interesting." He stated, and commenced in watching the girls. Brett and Heero were sitting next to each other, and not saying anything. It was quite creepy, so I got up to go help the girls.or yell. Whichever way you look at it. Now, I have no idea what the guys  were talking about, or if they were even talking, but I do know that it was greatly upsetting me. I tried to focus in on the matter at hand: Trish's serve was a mess.

 

 

After practice, I went home and took a shower. The g-boys followed me, and sat in the wreck room while I got dressed and stuff.. Yes, reader, I had a pretty luxurious room. After all, I DID have money. I decided to use it. No one had to know. I came out of my bedroom, and flopped down on the couch.

"What do y'all want to do?" I asked.

"Let's just chill. We have some stuff to catch up on." Duo said. I agreed, and soon we were all talking, laughing, and eating pizza. We talked about everything: how all the couples were doing.except the obvious two.*blush*.we talked about what they'd been doing while I was here, what I had been doing while they were there, and stuff. Quatre and I went to the kitchen at one point to get some more drinks. He and I talked about Brett.

"So, who is he?"

"A guy I met while you guys were away."

"Do you like him?"

"I don't know."

"I think you do."

"Yeah. I think I do, too." I smiled.

"I'm so proud of you! Are you okay with it?"

"Yeah.I'm fine. It's not like he had any competition." Now, Quatre had been hugging me, but he let go when I said that. "That's a little harsh, Relena."

"How is it, may I ask? There was no one else that wanted me the way Brett does, and so, I took him up on his offer."

"You still love Heero, though, don't you?"

Ouch. "Yes. Yeah, I do. I could never ever forget him, but he never ever felt that way about me. I know when to give up. Heh. There are plenty of other fish in the sea."

"That's a good way of looking at it, Lena."

"Yeah.Let's go back."   We went back into the room, where the guys had turned the TV on, and were watching the news. That cult thing was all over my television.

"Ew. Duo, turn it off."

"No. I think we need to see this."

"Duo, now." I pleaded, a little more urgently.

"We need to see this, Relena." Heero stated.

"Please, please, you guys. Please turn it off. I can't watch this. Please.I can't." I had started crying. The whole thing really freaked me out. Maybe it was because I could no longer do anything about it. Quatre wrapped his arms around me, trying to calm me down, and Duo quickly turned off the TV. They knew what was wrong with me. They always caught on quickly. I stood there, shaking and crying- letting Quatre hold me. I finally calmed down enough to listen to the former pilots.

"I'm sorry, Lena. I just think we need to know this-especially if it's in this area." Duo quietly commented.

"I understand." I whispered. Truly, I did. It made sense. I just couldn't take it on the news. I needed a friend to let me in. I could take it in more easily that way. I asked Duo to fill me in on the matter. If it was bad enough for them to be concerned, I needed to know.

"They call themselves angels. They feel like they have to 'send all the pure souls' up to their utopia. They believe that there is a perfect world waiting for them, and so they send the most perfect people up there, and join them themselves, when they feel that they're ready." Duo summarized. "But what they do to the human sacrifices is."

"Shut up, Duo." Heero commanded. Holy crap, this couldn't be good. I had to know. There was something inside me that needed to know.

"No, Heero. It's okay. Tell me Duo." He glanced at Heero, who made it obvious he didn't want him to proceed. My look, however, forced him to go on.

"They pick someone perfect, right? A virgin, pure, good, honest, and everything a good person would be. Unfortunately, they believe that before the soul can make it to their 'utopia', they have to undergo the opposite of everything that they are. Every member of the cult rapes the sacrifice. Each member that has a piece at the victim, has to cut the flesh deep enough so as to leave definite mark in the next life. The victim, be it boy or girl, is awake, and tied down for all of this.

They then take a knife, and stab the person to death. One swipe, in the stomach, and then they think the soul goes up to their paradise." He whispered the whole thing.

"Oh my word." I whispered, barely audible. "And, they're doing this HERE? Oh my gosh. What if they get Brett, or Lana, or Tyresha, or.or one of you guys."

"Well, they can't get me, because I'm not a virgin, so don't worry about me." Duo stated.

"Poor Hilde" I muttered.

"What do you mean by that?"

I smiled. Quatre still held me. "Nothing will happen. We're monitoring it. Don't worry about it."

"Is there anything I can do to help you guys?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Heero?"

"Get yourself back up to where you belong, and head the union that will stop this." He fiercely stated. He was mad. I had never seen him with this look on his face. His eyes were so fierce, like they were on fire.

"Heero, I don't have any influence up there anymore. Nothing would come out from me going back. Besides, isn't someone up there already taking care of it?"

"Shut up Relena. You know that's bull. You hold everyone's attention when ever you walk into a room, and you know it."

"Because they see me as fresh meat. You have no idea the kind of comments I received from those people! I couldn't do anything in there anymore, don't you see that? No one wants me for anything more than a one night stand."

"You're taking this too lightly."

"What does that mean?"

"Only you can stop this, Relena. No one up there has enough sense to know how to deal with this."

"I can't believe you're saying this to me, Heero. What am I saying? I knew you would do this. You always say these things that couldn't possibly let anyone love you, and yet I continue to do so. What kind of fool am I, unable to let go of a man with no heart?"

He just stood there. He didn't move, or blink or speak. The other two gawked. "Why are you here, Heero? To take me back?"

"I think we both know the answer to that."

"You're wrong. I don't. Hurry up and clarify, or else get out." He didn't speak. He just stared at me with those intense, blue eyes. "Get out, then. All of you. You are not welcome here anymore."

They left, without saying a word. I knew they would berate Heero as soon as they were out of my hearing range.

That night, I decided to go ahead and play in the playoffs the next day. They were here, so I didn't have to worry about travel. All I had to worry about was not moving around too much. So, the next day, I met the girls in the gym, in uniform. I had taken so many painkillers, I could barely feel my foot. The girls were excited I was in, but they were still a little nervous. I helped them with their pre-game jitters, and we went out to face the Raiders.

The cheerleaders had come. Yay. Brett was in the front row. He didn't look pleased when I came out with the uniform on. Behind Brett a few seats were the guys. They looked even less pleased. Fortunately for me, the game started before any of them could talk to me.

These girls were good. It could've been the fact that they had a coach. She was looking pretty smug.

"Tammy, Shelly, 'Twanda (that would be short for La'Shantwanda, reader), I want you all to watch every move that girl right there makes." I told them. Judging by the way the team flocked around her, I could tell she was the MVP. They probably would know the same about me if they weren't overly confident.

Our team was playing so well. Everything they'd been taught was paying off, and we were at the top of our game. That girl I had previously mentioned was looking very tired, and was steadily losing momentum. I was, too, and they noticed it after awhile. My ankle was killing me, but we were only one point away from winning. 'Twanda was up to serve, and I waited for the ball to come back over. Right as she was about to serve, the opposing team called a time-out. This was just what I needed. I had to get some water, and try to force the nauseous feeling I had whenever I put pressure on my foot. I was interrupted from my drink when an official came up to me.

"Where's your coach, ladies?"

"She's running late, I guess" I lied. "She'll be here soon."

"I'm afraid I need for her to make a call for your team, but since she isn't here, I'll need to make it for you, if I see it's in your best interests."

By this time, my whole team was crowded around the official.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"The other team's coach has informed me that she thinks your ankle might have something wrong with it." He stated.

"Yeah, so? It hurts a little, but I'll live. I'll bet those girls are feeling the heat now, too." I stated harshly.

"Yeah, Chris is fine, sir." A teammate chimed in.

"Stand up, please, miss."

I did as I was told. The quicker I get over with this, the better, and I'm gonna make that team pay for the delay. He asked me to put weight on it. I hesitated,  but eventually, I did as I was told. I hid my grimace.

"Good. Jump up and down on that one foot."

I stared at him. I can do this. I can do this, I CAN do this. I picked my good foot up and balanced on my bad ankle. Crap this hurts, oh crap crap crap crap.

"Good, now..jump."

I did as I was commanded, however, I couldn't complete it. I fell on the bench, and choked out a sob. I held so much in, though. I wanted to scream. Oh, my gosh it hurt.

"That's what I thought. I'm taking you out of the game." He turned to leave. My pain was temporarily forgotten.

"You can't do that! We have a chance to make it all the way."

"You're out. I can't risk you losing the ability to play forever because I didn't take you out when I should have."

"You can't take me out! I have to play! Ref! I want some justice! You can't take me out!"

He left. I couldn't go after him, but I tried to get back in the game. Of course, the referee stopped me. "Let me play. This man has no right to tell me I can't do this."

"Miss, sit back down, or you'll not be able to play another game.ever."

"Who the h."

"Chris, it's okay" 'Twanda led me back to the bench.

"I threw myself down, about ready to kill anybody. This was so not legal. I was going to seriously injure every member of that team. Tears fell down my cheeks in cascades, but I made no sound. I just let my team go out there. I could tell by the way they looked they were mad. That was going to cloud their minds. This was too much on anyone. We had the players to beat them, but their confidence was gone because of the way I acted, and they were pissed off that that nobody had benched me. I sat and watched the game, letting the tears take their course.

We lost.

 

 

Disclaimer: I think that pretty much speaks for itself.  I'm back in the game, people! Thanks to Rose, wicked child, Ebony and Shinny. So, I'm a little timid, but I did it. I love you guys, and thank you for reminding me why I do this. *&#@! My puppy just peed..

 

 

Back in the habit

Lovin' every minute

I a'int black,

But I'm gonna' have at it!

MBF is in the house, people.and scarring every one of you.

~Melville's Best Friend