College Girl

Chapter three

By Melville's Best Friend

 

 

Oh, gosh. Talk about pain. Listen reader, there is nothing more painful than broken pride. Nothing. My foot came pretty close, though. I went in after the game to get it `looked at' as 'Twanda had so grammatically well pointed out. I needed a cast. Four weeks isn't bad, though. I can do four weeks no problem. It would be an issue, however, if we had won the game and gone on to Nationals. Ug. I can't get that out of my head. If I don't have volleyball, why am I here? I hate this school. Maybe Heero's oh-so-charming personality is finally getting to me. Maybe I should be a diplomat in outer space. Or maybe.Maybe I'm staying for Brett. That couldn't be-could it?

I sat up in bed and thought about it some more. Am I really staying because of Brett? Does he really mean that much to me? Oh, God. Listen, if you're up there, I have so many questions that I need answered. My path isn't obvious anymore. I need guidance... Just then, my bell rang.

"Please be a sign.please.." I whispered. Upon opening the door, I found Brett.

"Hi. Can I come in?"

This is Your sign?

"Look, I'm not really in the mood."

"I guessed that when you didn't come to class today. They can kick you out if you don't come to class.they'll fail you, Christina."

"Yeah, well. That may be for the best."

"Can I come in, please?"

"You can do whatever you want."

Why was I talking like Heero? The boy's influence in my life was infecting my speech. Darn him.

We sat down on my sofa. By the way, reader, I said I had been in bed. It wasn't night, though. As Brett stated earlier, I hadn't gone to class..or any of my classes for that matter. I was just having fun sulking.

"Are you okay?" he quietly asked.

"Am I okay? Well, let me see." I Held out my hand and started tallying my problems.

"Because of a coach with a twisted mind and heartless body, we lost the game. I loose a scholarship to this place, which doesn't really matter seeing as how I can pay for it anyway. I loose my rep as a flawless player, what profession league will want me, Brett, which one? I have a handful of friends who are pressuring me into political submission, and I'm stuck choosing the hearts of two men, neither of which are pleasing to my mind at the moment. That's what's wrong with me. NO, I am not okay. I feel wretched, Brett."

"Yeah. I'd say those are some setbacks. Are you going to stay here? You scared me with what you said at the door."

"I think it would be best if I went back where I belong."

"NO!"

There was a harshness to his tone; something that frightened me in the way he said that. He calmed down. He took my hand in his.

"No, Chris. You can't leave. You are the most pure and good person I've ever met. I need you  here to help me be stronger."

Where in the world had I heard THAT before? Oh that's right. He sounded just like me when I was younger. That's irony for ya'.

"Brett, I have no choice but to leave."

"Is this your opinion, or your friends?"

"What does it matter?"

"You've been spending a lot of time with them."

"Are you telling me to stay away from my best friends?" I moved away from him, and pulled my hand out of his grasp.

"No. NO! Of  COURSE not. They just seem to have a lot of influence over you, and I always thought that you acted like your own person. But, when these guys showed up, you started acting strangely."

"How do you mean?"

"You never second guessed yourself when I met you."

"Yes I did. It just wasn't aloud."

"Stay."

It was more of a commandment then a plea, really.

"Brett, I."

"I need you here. You want to be here, I know you do. Don't let them set your future for you. You're a big girl, Relena. You can make your own decisions."

"Stay?" I whispered. But, what would I do the whole time? Run around with six guys? I could go into professional volleyball. I could do so much more with my life than a ranting politician.

"Yeah, Brett. I'll stay."

This would take some work though. There was no way Heero would let me stay. I would have to become a politician just to talk him into letting me stay.Oh, well, I'm up for a challenge.

"Two more questions, though. What did you mean by political submission?"

*&#@! I didn't know I said that. THINK RELENA! THINK!

"One of my extra curricular activities! Arguing.about politics!"

"I didn't know you."

"Yeah, I do. What was your second question?"

"Oh.Um, you said you were pursuing the hearts of TWO men?"

"Yeah.Um.I."

He stopped me with a gentle kiss. I stopped a second later, pulling away from a reluctant Brett.

"That was..perfect." I whispered, and smiled. This was my first genuine smile in days.

 

 

When Brett left, I was more than excited about what had happened. It felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders! I couldn' t believe the sign I'd received. God was cool. He and I were tight. I picked up the little teddy Heero had given me so long ago.

"I'm going to pretend like this never happened." I threw the bear in the trash.

"I get to start over, and this time, everything will go perfectly!"

I would see to that personally, if need be. Nothing would stop me from marrying that boy. This was the start of something more than beautiful.

 

 

 

 

Quatre came over that night, worried about me. I let him in, and we sat on the same couch Brett and I had occupied hours earlier.

"I have to tell you something." I said.

"Well, great. But, I just wanted to ask if you were okay."

"I.I'm fine. I have a few minor details to work out, but.other than that, I' m great."

"Are you going to continue taking classes here?"

"Yes." I could tell Quatre was waiting for an explanation. I gave him none.

"Rel."

"I have to tell you something, Quatre. Something amazing happened today."

"Oh? What?"

"Brett came over."

"Yeah. We overheard someone telling him about your cast. I guess he wanted to check on you. Four weeks isn't that long. You'll be back to your regular self in no time."

"That's not where I want this conversation to go, Quatre.  I have some really big news!"

"Well, tell me."

"We kissed."

"You what?" He mouth almost hit the floor.

"We kissed."

"Well.how long? What happened? Wh."

"Quatre, slow down." I laughed. "It was great. The best kiss I've ever had."

"Relena! How could you say that? Doesn't Heero mean anything to you?"

"Quatre, I."

He slapped me. Stunned, I looked up at him with my burning cheek.

"How dare you do that to him. How could you? He came all this way to finally tell you."

I sat there, still in shock, unable to speak.

"Relena, I hope you're happy with this life. You've made a poor choice, and you're going to regret it for the rest of your life." He walked out the door. How could things have gone so wrong? Quatre was supposed to be my best friend, and he turned on me like a snake.I went outside for a walk, or hobble, as it were. This was horrid. I couldn't get rid of the feeling of disappointment. The look Quatre had in his eyes was boring into my soul. I found it best to sit under a tree that faced my room, and cry.

 

 

I found at an early age that crying was an okay thing to do when alone. In the open, everyone can see your flaws, and they will never forget them. It's like gossip-mania. One day your life-long friend will hate you. You'll be walking in the supermarket years after she found out you, let's say, got a divorce. This will be a reason for my child and her child to stay away from each other.

"Don't go near her, Angel. If her mommy's not commited, you can bet your candy she'll stab you in the back later."

This is how I thought. Why, I don't know, but it's the way things are for me. So, there I was, under the tree, crying. No one could see me, or hear me for that matter, so I felt utterly safe. I could have gone and apologized to Quatre, but he never listened when he was this upset. He was like a demon when he was upset. After I had wept awhile, I stood up, and brushed myself off. I saw Heero look at me. I wanted so badly to talk to him, to tell him what I was feeling..But I didn't. I couldn't. My saddened state had left little more than the bag of bones I was in. I sighed as he turned away. I wish he knew what I was thinking. I wish..But wishes don't come true. Nothing comes true anymore. Wishes and dreams are for the weak minded, and I had fallen into their trap.

I really should have talked to Quatre that night. Because the next day, they were gone.

 

 

 

Disclaimer: It speaks for itself, I believe. This was an unbearably short chapter, I dare say. I wanted to write it for Wicked. *hugs* I hope y'all enjoy this chapter, and I'll work on the next later. I have a huge paper due soon, and I have to get started on that before I procrastinate to the point of no return. It may be awhile before another story is up. I do, however, have this Monday off, and will be working on Of Mystical Gates and no other. Later, people!

~Melville's Best Friend