Hello loyal readers:
 
I know it's been a while.  This was my chapter from hell.  It was very hard for me to write it because it has a lot of mush and kind of angsty.  Not to mention it near the end of the semester and school is hell itself.  Anywho thanks for reading and reviewing.
 
Laterz
 
On to Chapter 8
 
LIFE LOVE AND FAMILY : THE FIGHT FOR DEATH

THE ORACLE AT DELPHI

 
Recap:
 
"Uh guys?  I don't feel so good." Duo said growing paler by the second.
 
"It's probably from all that food you ate." Heero said as he looked at Duo.
 
"No. I don't think it was that."
 
All of a sudden Jai felt a sharp pain.
 
"AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" Quatre screamed.
 
Duo clutched his chest and fell over in Hilde's lap.
 
"DUO!!!!"
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
Hilde fell out of her chair, cradling Duo still in her lap.  Sally and Jase rushed to Duo.
 
"There's no pulse! Lie him on the floor!"
 
Hilde gently placed Duo on the floor and stood up her gazed never leaving Duo's face.  Jase and Sally began CPR.
 
"Someone call an ambulance!"
 
"We need to get his heart going!"
 
Lady Une called the ambulance.  Noin and Milliardo went to wait outside for the ambulance.  Heero was staring at the seat Duo was sitting in.  Catherine was lost in her thoughts.  Wufei, Trowa and Simon were watching Sally and Jase work on Duo.
 
"I got a pulse!"
 
"He's barely breathing!  Where the hell is that ambulance!"
 
Relena and Kellee came up behind Hilde and wrapped their arms around her to comfort her.  Hilde showed no emotion she just stood there staring at Duo.
 
Jai had her arms wrapped around Quatre gently stroking his hair. Quatre was doubled over in pain clutching his chest, struggling to breathe. 
 
"Quatre, you need to focus on my voice.  Stop focusing on Duo. You're only going to hurt yourself.  Just listen to the sound of my voice."  Jai began to hum a soft lullaby.  She gently rocked him back and forth while stroking his hair.  He concentrated on the sound of her voice.  The pain began to subside.  Shortly after he was able to breathe normally.
 
"Are you OK?"  Jai asked Quatre as he turned to face her.  He saw a brief flash of worry and concern in her eyes before they turned cold.  The Yuy "perfect soldier" eyes.  He nodded and Jai got up to check on Duo.
 
"DAMN IT!! WHERE'S THAT AMBULANCE?!?"
 
Jai looked at Heero who was still staring at Duo's seat and then turned to Catherine who was still lost in her thoughts.
 
"How did Duo get sick so quick?" Catherine said mostly to herself.
 
Hilde was thinking the same thing.  Duo was fine until they came here.  Hilde turned her head to stare at Duo's seat.
 
"The food." Heero and Hilde said at the same time.
 
"What?" Jai said.
 
"The food.  It s been poisoned" Hilde said staying surprisingly calm.  Hilde's calmness was unnerving to Relena and Kellee.  They were definitely going to have to watch her.
 
"Jase call the hospital and tell them to have a lab ready when we get there.  Draw 10 vials of blood from Duo as soon as you can. I'm going to need a complete diagnosis of his symptoms." Jai said back in her monotone mode.
 
Milliardo lead the paramedics into the banquet room.  They loaded Duo into the ambulance with Hilde riding along and rushed him to the hospital.  The others followed in they respective vehicles.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
By the time the others got there the lab and the vials of blood were waiting for Jai.  Jase and Sally were currently working on Duo. Hilde was pacing outside of the room they took Duo into. Heero was leaning on the east wall while Wufei lean against the west.  Quatre, Relena, Catherine, Trowa, Noin, Millardo, Lady Une, Simon were sitting in various chairs around the waiting room.
 
Jai was leaning on the wall beside the entrance to Duo's room waiting for Sally and eyeing Hilde through her long bangs.  Hilde's silence unnerved her.  Jai knew Hilde loved Duo more than life itself.  The moment Duo's life ends so will Hilde's.
 
Her shifted her gaze to Heero.  Although he never publicly acknowledged it, Duo was his best friend.  Actually he was more than that.  He was a brother.  She knew Heero was more than worried about Duo but being Heero, he wasn't going to show it.
 
Catherine stood up from her chair and headed for the door.
 
"Where are you going?" Jai asked Catherine in her monotone voice.
 
"Head Hunting" she responded checking her gun.  She slammed her hand onto the door nearly knocking it off its hinges as she left the waiting area.
 
"Trowa, Kellee go with her and make sure she ask questions first before she shoots."
 
Kellee nodded and followed Catherine.  Trowa was bewildered.
 
"You'll see" was the only explanation Jai gave Trowa.
 
He nodded and followed Kellee out of the waiting room.
 
Jai walked over to the others.
 
"I need you guys to keep an eye on Hilde and Heero for me.  I know this is hard on both of them.  They may need someone to lean on.  I know I would."
 
They all nodded their response.
 
Sally and Jase emerged from Duo's room their faces solemn.
 
Hilde stopped pacing, "How is he?"
 
"Not good" Jase answered, "His pulse is weak and his brain waves are slowing down.  I don't know what they poisoned him with but its slowly" he paused drawing in a deep breath, "killing him" he said just above a whisper.
 
"At most he'll only have 24 hours.  Jai lets go.  We've got to find what he was poisoned with and get the antidote."  Sally added.
 
Jai and Sally headed toward the lab.  Jai turned around and walked over to Hilde and gave her a hug.
 
"I won't let him die, I promise." She said looking Hilde straight in the eye.  They stayed that way for a minute exchanging unspoken thoughts.  Jai left Hilde and continued to follow Sally.
 
"Can I go see him?" Hilde asked Jase.
 
He gave her a weak smile.  "Go ahead and let him know his has someone to live for."
 
She nodded and entered Duo's room.  What she saw made her heart fall into her shoes.  In the middle of the room, on a starchy white hospital bed laid Duo.  He had an IV that was connected to various fluids running into his arm.  There were a multitude of tubes and electrodes taped on his chest that connected to machines that constantly beeped and hummed.  Cautiously she took the seat next to his bed.  His normal braid was a bit messy but it wasn't enough to take away from his handsome face.  Hilde gently took his hand in hers.  It was so cold.  'The colds hand of death.'  She took her free hand and brushed his bangs back from his face but of course they went right back to their resting place.
 
"I love you, Duo.  I betcha didn't know that huh." she smiled sadly and lightly traced the outline of his jaw. "I've loved you ever since the day I met you.  You wanted to know why I left you?  Well, I left because after seven years of waiting you never return my feelings and I need to be loved.  I wanted to be loved by you but I guess in your eyes I was never good enough, pretty enough, smart enough."
 
Silent tears ran down her face.  She leaned over and softly kissed Duo's blue tinged lips.  She rested her head on his chest, letting it rise and fall with his shallow breathing letting the tears fall freely onto the blanket that covered him.
 
"I love you, Duo.  Come back to me."
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Duo was walking aimlessly.  Everywhere he looked, he was surrounded by white.  He didn't know where he was or why he was there but he knew if he kept on walking he would find a way out.  He didn't know how long he'd been walking when he came across a lone figure sitting on something.  He approached the figure hoping the person could tell him where he was and how to get out.  As he got closer he noticed the person was sitting on a white bench and wearing a black and white outfit.  He walked over to the bench.  The person looked up at him and smiled.
 
"Sister Helen?"
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Catherine, Kellee and Trowa arrived back at the Chinese restaurant right at closing time wearing their Preventer jackets.
 
The manager, a short, round black haired man snorted at the three, "Where closing.  Come back tomorrow."
 
Catherine looked down at the man "I want to see the kitchen surveillance tapes from tonight"
 
The man laughed, "Woman, who do you think you are?" then he turned to Trowa, "You need to teach your woman how to subservient to a man"
 
Trowa was about to grab the man by the throat when Kellee shook her head, stopping him.
 
"You have a lot of nerve for a man who is knee high to a pew.  Don't make me get down on my knees to smack you, I'm afraid I'll have trouble reaching you from up here."  Catherine retorted.
 
The man huffed shocked that she would make such a remark to him.
 
***CLICK***
 
"The tapes. NOW!"  Catherine said as she leveled her gun at the man head resting it in the middle of it.
 
"yyeyesmm..mm..mmma'amfff..fff..follow me"  the now scared man replied.
 
"That's better", she said keeping her gun aimed at the man's head as the followed him.
 
Trowa leaned over to Kellee, "Is she always like this?"
 
"Nope.  She must be in a good mood.  She didn't kill him." Kellee replied as they entered the small security office.
 
Trowa suddenly felt sorry for whoever crossed his sister when she was in a bad mood.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Jai and Sally stared at the green vials of Duo's blood that was once red.  They've tried nearly every poison known and still could not figure out what Duo was going through Duo's system
 
"We are getting nowhere with this" Sally said staring at vials.
 
"We are over looking something so simple but for the life of me I can't figure it out" Jai replied staring at the same vials.
 
"We need to approach this from a different perspective" Sally stated reaching for a new vial.
 
"I wish I knew what that perspective was" Jai said as she removed the used vials.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Sister Helen gave Duo a warm smile.
 
"Hello Duo.  I didn't expect to see you so soon." She said.
 
Duo looked dumbfounded at Sister Helen, "Don't take this the wrong way but am I dead cause I don't want to be?"
 
"No Duo. You're not dead but whether you live or die will be entirely up to you."
 
"I don't understand."  Duo said as he sat next to Sister Helen.
Just then a woman dressed in a red blouse and black slacks appeared before them.  She had black hair and red eyes.  As soon as she appeared the air around them turned bitterly cold.  She flashed Duo a sinister smile.
 
"Duo I am The God of Death and I am here to take you home."
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Catherine was staring intently at the small surveillance screen looking at every little detail.  Kellee who was sitting next to Catherine began to doze off.  Trowa sat on the other side of Kellee staring just as intently at the screen as Catherine.  The manager sat on the other side of Catherine sleeping.
 
Trowa was looking at the videotape when he felt something land on his shoulder.  He glanced sideways only to find Kellee was using his shoulder as a pillow. 
 
'She looks peaceful when she sleeps and she's quiet. Now that's a bonus', Trowa thought as he reached his hand out and tucked a stray hair behind her ear for no apparent reason.
 
"Hey whose that?!?" Catherine demanded startling Trowa and causing  Kellee and the manager to jump up.
 
The manager rubbed his eyes and looked at the brunette woman on the screen.
 
"Her name is Felicia Baker.  She's a waitress but she quit today."
 
They all looked at the screen as the woman named Felicia removed a small bottle from her apron and pour the contents in the sauce and stir it.  She then dumped the sauce on a plate of food.
 
"Where does this girl live?" Catherine asked getting up from her seat and the others followed.
 
The manager gave them the woman's address and they left the restaurant.
 
"Where to now?" Kellee asked
 
"First we go back to the hospital to check on Duo and the others.  Then we go make our little canary sing" Catherine replied as she slide into the drive side of Jai's Escalade.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Duo looked at the one called Death, leaned on the back of the bench and put his hands behind his head, "So you're here to take me home, huh.  Somehow I get the feeling that my definition of home and yours is totally different."
 
"You don't think you can run around and call yourself "The God of Death" without there being any consequences do you."  She replied flashing that sinister smile again.
 
"Oh, so whatcha gonna do? Sue me for copyright infringement" he said flashing a sinister smile of his own.
 
"You smart ass!  How dare you disrespect Death!  You have done nothing with your life but caused pain and agony.  You should come with me now and pay the price for your sins."
 
She waved her hand and parts of Duo's past appeared before them.  The faces of the soldiers he killed during the war ran together like a flowing stream.  All the faces were contorted in pain as they died at the hands of the God of Death.  Duo became angry, his eyes blazing.
 
"That was war!  They knew the risks they took by getting into those mobile suits just like I did!  I didn't WANT to KILL anybody!"
 
"And yet you did spatting "God Of Death" as you welded your scythe taking countless lives." She retorted as a vision of Duo in Deathscythe cockpit appeared before them doing exactly what she just said.
 
"I only did what I had to do."
 
"Fine what about that young lady?  Uh, what's her name?  Oh, yeah Hilde."
 
Flashes of Hilde appeared and each one Hilde was crying.  Sometimes silently and sometimes sobbing uncontrolably.  Duo felt his heart twist in a million different directions.  He had never experience anything like it before.
 
"Tell me Duo, were you "only doing what you had to do" every time you broke that pooooooor girls heart?  Do you know how many times that girl cried over you?  Well let's start ant the beginning and count shall we." She was about to wave her hand again.
 
"No.  We don't have to.  I have seen enough", He solemnly replied.
 
"Oh. So you're not so tough after all.  With all the pain your existence cause, you don't need to return to the land of the living.  The world is a much better place without you.  Do you think anyone would miss you?  Your so-called friends won't especially Heero.  He doesn't like you and you know it.  How many times has he put his gun in your face?  And you call yourself his best friend.  Ha. If he was your best friend he wouldn't threaten to kill you every time he sees you."
 
Duo hung his head but said nothing.  He was beginning to believe everything Death had said.  After all it was his life, he'd already knew what she showed him.
 
"Come.  We've wasted enough time."  She grabbed Duo's hand and a wave of coldness went through him.  He felt like he was submerged in frozen water.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hilde had fell asleep holding Duo's hand with her head resting on the side of the bed.
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
Hilde woke with a start.  Suddenly Duo's hand became cold as ice.  Hilde began shaking Duo.
 
"DUO!!! DUO!!! DON'T LEAVE ME!!!  DUO, DON'T GO!!!  I LOVE YOU!!!"
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
In the waiting room Heero was still leaning against the wall.  He hadn't moved since they brought Duo in.  Wufei was sitting in a chair meditating.  Quatre and Relena were quietly talking.  Lady Une and Simon had returned to Preventer HQ to review the investigation reports on the bombing and the poisoning.  Milliardo and Noin went home but said to keep them posted on Duo's progress.
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
"DUO!!! DUO!!! DON'T LEAVE ME!!! 
 
Heero jumped off the wall and with two strides slammed the door the Duo's room open. Hilde was furiously shaking Duo, crying and shouting at him.
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
Heero was unable to move.  Jase came running in the room knocking Heero out of the way in the process, followed by a team of nurses and other doctors.  Hilde was still shaking Duo and yelling at him.
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
"Get Hilde out of here!" Jase shouted as he ripped the gown so he could have access to Duo's chest.
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
"I'm not leaving him!" Hilde shouted back
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
"Do you want him to die?!?  GET OUT!!!  ALL OF YOU!!!"
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
Quatre and Wufei dragged the screaming Hilde out of the room.  Relena tapped Heero on the arm.  Heero looked at Relena.  He turned and left the doorway.  He took his position leaning against the wall, closing his eyes.  Relena walked over to Heero and stood next to him.  Relena could always read Heero's emotions in his eyes.  She had never seen what she just saw in them, helplessness and sorrow.
 
"CLEAR!"
 
Electric shock rocked Duo's body as it lifted up off the bed.
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
"CLEAR!"
 
Another shock wave lifted his body off of the table.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Sister Helen finally spoke, "Before you go Duo there is something I'd like to show you." And she gently removed Death's hand from Duo's
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
 
Jase let out the breath he was holding.  He examined Duo to make sure he was stable and noting any changes.  He then walked out to the waiting room.  Hilde was again pacing outside of Duo's door.  She pounced when Jase exited Duo's room.
 
"How is he?  What happened?  Is he going to be alright?"
 
Jase hung his head.  This was the hardest thing he had to face.  He had just found his brother again.  They were starting to get close like they were before they were separated.  He told Duo about the Dr. and Mrs. Andrews who had raised him and Duo told him about Solo, Father Maxwell and Sister Helen.  He was not prepared to lose him again and yet it was a reality he had to face.  A reality they all had to face.
 
"Its not good.  His brain waves are now slower than they were when he came in and his heart is weaker" He took a deep breath, "It won't be long before he is either brain dead or his heart gives out completely."
 
Hilde went pale for a few seconds and looked like she was about to faint.  She then squared her shoulders, put a determined look on her face and went back into Duo's room.  Heero began walking down the hallway.  Relena let him get a good distance ahead then followed him.  Wufei and Quatre went to update Sally and Jai in the lab.  Trowa, Kellee and Catherine had arrived as Jase began to fill everyone in on Duo's condition, so they heard the bleak prognosis.  Trowa went to call Lady Une and Simon.  Kellee went to call Milliardo and Noin.  Catherine followed Jase to his office.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hilde resumed her position by Duo's bed.  She reverently ran her fingers through his bangs and tried to brush the stray hairs from his braidback off his face.  She placed a long kiss on Duo's cold lips, took his hand in hers and sat down in her chair.
 
"Duo this is not the time for one of your bad jokes" she said and smiled, "I need you.  I love you and I want you to come back to me.  I don't want to live my life without you.  It was hard enough these last six months.  Believe me, I was a real bitch.  Jai stated more than once that she was going to drug me and FedEx me back to you."  She gave a slight laugh knowing that Duo would fall out the bed laughing at that.  "I miss you.  Come home soon. I'll be here waiting for you" She steeled herself against the tears that threaten to fall.  She would not cry again.  She will give Duo her strength so he will be able to find his way back to her.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Heero kept walking the hallways of the hospital letting his feet guide him.  When he ran out of hallways he looked up to find that he was standing in front of the hospital chapel.  The chapel was empty so Heero entered.  He walked up to the Alter, lit a candle and kneeled down before it.  Since Heero wasn't a praying man, he had no clue what to say.  So he closed his eyes and hoped the Almighty could read how he was feeling in his heart because he didn't know the words to say how he felt about Duo.  Duo was indeed his best friend although he'd never admitted it to anyone. He chuckled to himself.
 
'Funny how someone who shot you twice when you first met him could be your best friend'
 
Heero didn't know how long he was sitting at that Alter when he felt a pair of arms wrap around his neck.  He didn't have to look back to see that it was Relena.  He could always sense when she was near.   She didn't say anything.  She just held him like that for what seemed like forever. 
 
'Relena always seem to know what I need'
 
Once again Heero was greatful for the comfort she gave to him. Her touch always eased his pain, physically and emotionally.  If he didn't know before he knew it now, Relena was the other part of his soul.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Wufei and Quatre entered the lab.  Jai and Sally both had their heads on the lab counter staring at nine green vials.  After hours of analysis they still couldn't find what type of poison was used and they only had one good blood vial left.  Neither woman moved as they heard the door open.
 
"What happened?" Sally asked.
 
"Duo crashed again but he's stable for the moment.  He won't last much longer."  Wufei replied.
 
Both women shot straight up and looked at one another.  This is definitely not what they wanted to here especially when they were not any closer to finding an antidote than when they first started.  Sally got up from her seat and walked down to the end of the table placing her hands on the edge to brace herself as she leaned forward.  Jai continued to stare at the green vials.  Wufei noticed Sally's tense muscles and walked over to her.  He began to massage her neck and shoulders.  Sally let out a sigh as she leaned into the massage.  His hands on her neck and back felt heavenly.  It was amazing how such strong hands could be so gentle.  The sleeping nerves in her body woke up and began to run rapid.  If the situation wasn't so dire, she wouldn't mind a full body massage at the hands of Wufei.  Wufei's hands slowly worked their way back up to her neck.
 
A soft moan escaped her lips "Mmmmm"
 
Wufei immediately removed his hands from Sally.
 
'Damn' sally thought as she felt him pulled away from her.
 
Quatre walked over to Jai to do the same.  Jai put up her hand, stopping him dead in his tracks.
 
"Don't even think of touching me.  I don't need my brain going to mush at the moment thank you." Jai said looking Quatre straight in the eye.
 
Quatre smirked and Jai mentally kicked herself.
 
'Shit! Too much information, Jai'
 
All of a sudden Jai drew her arm back and sent the green vials crashing to the floor.  The crashing noise took Sally by surprise and she jumped back in alarm causing Wufei to wrap his arms around her to keep them both from falling.  The prickling sensation was felt by both of them.  But they didn't have enough time to enjoy it.
 
"DAMN IT!!  The answer is so basic!  I drug people all the time yet I can't find what the hell is coursing through Duo's system.  He is going to die because of my stupidity."
 
Jai continued on with her rant until she felt someone grab her shoulders and spin her around.
 
"What do you mean "I drug people all the time", Quatre asked her.
 
"You don't think I sleep with those fools to get the info I want.  I drug them, knocking them out and read their minds."
 
"OK. Pretend you have to find the antidote for one of the drugs you use.  How would you do it?" Quatre asked
 
"You couldn't find the antidote to the stuff I use because I don'tuse typicalchemicals"
 
Jai walked away from Quatre with her hand on her hip thinking.  She then smacked her forehead and for the first time in hours she smiled.
 
"Quatre you are a genius!" Jai exclaimed and grabbed Quatre's face and gave him a quick bruising kiss on the lips.  She let him go, grabbed the last good vial and ran for the door.
 
"Come on Sally we have to go!" she shouted as she ran out the door.
 
Sally was hot on her tail, "Where are we going?"
 
"Chinatown!"
 
Quatre was in a daze.  Her lips were so soft even if it was a bruising kiss. He made a mental note to definitely kiss her again and soon.
 
***WHACK***
 
Quatre snapped back to reality and glared at Wufei who was standing next to him.
 
"Come on Weakling. You don't want to get left do you?"
 
"You should talk.  You'd still be holding Sally in your arms had she not took off after Jai", Quatre retorted as he walked towards the door, "Weakling"
 
"Injustice!" he said as he ran after Quatre to catch up with Sally and Jai.
 
The four ran by Trowa and Kellee.
 
"Hey where ya going?"  Kellee shouted.
 
"Chinatown.  Tell Heero I got his bike."  Jai yelled back.
 
Jai hopped on Heero's motorcycle, tossed Quatre the spare helmet and put on hers.  Wufei and Sally did the same.  A second later the two couples were speeding down the deserted street on their way to Chinatown.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Catherine lightly knocked on Jase's office door and entered.  Inside the office it was totally dark.  Only a small window allowed some of the moons beams to filter in.  Jase was standing in front of the small window gazing at the many stars that filled the sky.  He was wishing on every last one of them for a miracle to save his brother.  Catherine looked at Jase's profile and slightly smiled.  He had his hair in a long braid which was not typical for him. He always let his long chestnut hair flow in the breeze.  Standing with his hair braided he looked just like Duo.  Catherine walked over to him, put her arms around his waist and leaned her head on his shoulders.  They stood like that for a while before Catherine spoke.
 
"I see you've braided your hair." She said as she placed a kiss on the back of his neck.
 
Jase smiled, turned to face her and wrapping his arms around her.
 
"Yeah. Duo said women find the braid sexy"
 
"It is", she replied as she ran her hand through his bangs, "I may have found the person responsible for poisoning Duo.  I'm going to question her as soon as I leave here."
 
Duo prognosis came crashing back in his mind and instinctively tighten his arms around Catherine.
 
"I lost him once Cath.  That lost left a whole in my soul I can't even begin to describe."  He buried his face in the crook of her neck, "I can't bare to go through that again.  I just got him back.  I'm not ready to loose him again." He said as he began sobbing.
 
Catherine backed up, found the chair and sat in it still holding on to Jase.  He placed his head in her lap and continue to release the hours of frustration, hurt, sorrow and helplessness he'd been keeping inside.
Catherine gently stroked his head as her silent tears slid down her face. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
"Duo dear" Sister Helen said taking the same hand Death held earlier in hers " I think you should see something." And she waved her hand in front of them.  Duo felt warmth and love flow through him as Sister Helen held his hand.
 
"Oh my God" Duo said as he gaped at the sight before him.  There was Heero in a chapel?  Duo didn't think Heero was a praying man.  But why was he there?  Could he really care?  Then he heard the most shocking thing, Heero was praying for him.  Although Duo didn't see Heero mouth moved he heard the prayer from his heart.  He then saw Relena come behind Heero and drape her arms around his neck and begin to add her silent prayers to Heero's.
 
"Heero cares so much for you that he is willing to pray for you.  That's a big step for him.  You are his best friend and he needs you, if only to point his gun in his face.  He depends on you to keep him sane. Besides how many times has he put that gun in your face and threaten to kill you?"
 
"Too many to keep count but I know that he only threatens those he cares about.  Heero was never good with his emotions" he said and smiled
 
"Always remember that Heero cares about you and you matter to him even if he does show it."
 
Death gave a snort in disgust.
 
Sister Helen waved her arm again.  The scene before them now was Jai, Quatre, Wufei and Sally spending down the dark streets.
 
"Hey, that's love for ya.  Here I am laying in a hospital bed fighting for my life and their out joy riding" Duo said with a pout.
 
Death smirked, "You see Duo they don't give a damn about you."
 
Sister Helen just laughed, "Still jumping to conclusions I see.  They're not out joy riding Duo they're going to Chinatown to get an antidote for you.  Jai and Sally have been working all night to find one.  They've been working hard to save your life Duo.  They also care about you enough to go through any lengths to make sure you live."
 
Duo smiled and Death frowned.
 
Sister Helen waved her hand again.  Jase was kneeling on the floor with his head in Catherine's lap sobbing.  Duo felt his brother's pain.  He remembers sobbing the exact same way on his bed when the mistress of the orphanage told him Jase was dead.  Duo didn't want to leave his brother this way.  Hell, he didn't want to leave him at all.  A tear slid down cheek as he felt his brother's pain.
 
"He cries for you," Sister Helen said looking back a the couple sitting in the dark, "He is a very brilliant doctor.  He has save countless lives but yet he can't save the life of the one he cares about the most.  His own little brother.  He loves you very much and it is hard for him to sit by helpless as you fade away.
 
Duo wiped his eyes and Death grunted.
 
He looked as she waved her hand once more and his mouth dropped open.  Before him he saw Hilde shaking him and he heard her yelling, "DUO!!! DUO!!! DON'T LEAVE ME!!!  DUO, DON'T GO!!!  I LOVE YOU!!!"  His mouth dropped open and Sister Helen smiled widely.
 
"You see Duo, although you made her cry on numerous occasions her feelings for you have never changed.  You would hurt her more if you die.  She loves you, Duo.  Her world will crumble without you."
 
Duo looked at Sister Helen, "I love her, too and my world did fall apart without her."
 
"Duo, I could show you scenes like these for all eternity.  You are somebody and you mean something to somebody.  They all love you for who and what you are.  They are your family and you are their cherished brother.  You have a lot to live for and you have a lot to give.  Don't throw it away." She finished a brushed back his bangs and gave him a kiss on his forehead.
 
When she kissed him he felt his resolved strengthen.  Then he saw a faint golden glow in the distance.
 
"That is the way back to the land of the living." Sister Helen said as she pointed to the golden glow.  "The love of those you left behind has opened the door for you to return.
 
Duo gave Sister Helen a hug and kiss.  He stood up to go home.  Sister Helen blew him one last kiss
 
"Remember Duo, I love you, too." And she faded away.
 
"Where do you think your going?" Death asked him.
 
"Home" and he continued on his way.
 
All of a sudden Death appeared before him.  "I don't think so.  You'll have to get through me first and I never lose."
 
"Well there's a first time for everything."
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Jai, Quatre, Sally and Wufei arrived at a small Chinese herb shop in Chinatown.  Jai lead them to the back of the shop.  Above the shop was the residence of the owner and his wife.  Jai knocked on the door.  After a few moments a light turned on in the window.  The door swung open reveling an elderly Chinese man and woman.
 
"Janai? Dear, what has brought you out this late hour?" the elderly woman asked as she stepped around her husband to give Jai a motherly hug.
 
Jai hugged the woman back.  The woman released her and she bowed before the elderly man.
 
"Master and Mistress Fong, I'm sorry to wake you but I'm in desperate need of your help" she said as she rose from her bowed position.
 
"Come" the elderly man said as he stepped aside to let them enter.
 
Quatre, Sally and Wufei followed Jai into the door and down a stairway.  When they reached the bottom, they were surrounded by three walls that had various oriental pictures covering them from the ceiling to the floor.   Master Fong walked over to a picture of the Great Wall of China.  The picture was made entirely of very little colorful tiles.  He began pressing the bricks of the Great Wall, typing in a code.  A door began to slide down the stairway entrance and the wall before them began to slide up reveling a large chemistry room.  They all entered the room and Jai introduced Sally, Quatre and Wufei.
 
"Duo has been poisoned and I think it the poison was made from Chinese herbs.  His heart and brain waves are steadily slowing down.  I brought the last vial of the blood sample taken from him."  Jai said as she handed the vial to Master Fong.
 
Mistress Fong looked at the weary group, "I'll go get us some tea would you come and assist me Wufei"
 
Wufei bowed and followed her.
 
Master Fong rubbed chin and furrowed his brow as he processed the information Jai had given him.  After a few silent moments Master Fong went and gathered a few herbs and began putting various herbs in a large wooden bowl.  Quatre watched in awe as Master Fong began pounding the leafy concoction into a powdery substance.  Sally and Jai perused the large collection of Chinese herbs.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Mistress Fong put the kettle on the stove to heat the water for the tea.  She then removed six teacups and handed them to Wufei.
 
"Meiran wants you to be happy with Sally"
 
Wufei almost dropped the teacups.  He looked at her with wide and shocked eyes.
 
"How do you know about Meiran?"
 
"I know a lot of things but it would take too long to explain how I know such private things about people.  She wants you to stop blaming yourself for her death and let her go." She said as she removed the kettle from the fire.
 
Wufei continued to stare at the woman in awe.  Mistress Fong placed her hands on both sides of his face and raised it to look straight into his eyes.  She could see the pain in his soul.
 
"It is not your fault that she died.  Stop blaming yourself. She is happy where she is and her wish is for you to be happy to.  Let Sally heal you."
 
She removed her hands from his face, reached for the kettle and poured the water into the cups.  They finished fixing the rest of the tea in silence.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Master Fong placed the powdered mixture on the Bunsen burner and added a little water to it.  Mistress Fong and Wufei returned with the tea and they placed it on a small table located in the corner of the room.  The others walked over and each took a cup of the steamy liquid.  Master Fong broke the silence.
 
"This Duo must be a very important person to you."
 
Wufei grunted and Quatre smiled.
 
"Yes he is.  I can't speak for everyone but he's like the annoying brother you can't wait to see come and then can't wait till he goes home.  He always making people laugh usually at their expense but its all in good fun,"
 
Wufei grunted again and Sally, Jai and Quatre laughed.
 
"I take it the jokes are usually at Wufei's expense" Mistress Fong said eyeing the laughing trio.
 
"Usually" Sally chuckled.
 
Wufei gave her a fierce look and Sally stuck her tongue out at him.  Mistress Fong looked at the couple, took a sip of tea and smiled.
 
'You're right Meiran. They are made for each other'
 
Master Fong continued, "Whoever poisoned him wanted you to suffer."
 
"Us? How?" Jai asked but she already knew the answer but she wanted the others to know maybe they'll figure the rest out.
 
"The poison this person used should have killed him in minutes.  He should be dead by now.  The fact that he is not is quite a mystery.  This person wants those closest to him to go through the pain of losing someone and not being able to do anything to save him." Master Fong looked at the group over the rim of his cup as he took a sip.
 
Quatre's thoughts immediately went back to the conversation with Jai on the roof and the chain reaction concept.  This was personal for whoever was trying to kill them.  Quatre looked over at Jai, their eyes meeting for a moment.  Mistress Fong saw this and smiled
 
'I thought so.'
 
Master Fong went to check on the now boiling mixture and Jai returned to the Chinese herbs.  Mistress Fong followed Jai.
 
"Janai?  Why are you giving that nice young man such a hard time?"
 
Jai didn't even have to guess who she was talking about.  Somehow Mistress Fong always knew what was going on.  Mistress Fong stood next to Jai.
 
"Janai dear it been 7 years, you have to let it go.  What happen to you was not your fault."
 
"It was my fault.  I was raised to be an assassin, a terrorist.  There is no way on God's green earth that should have happened to me."
 
"Dear.  It's all in the past.  You can't keep the woman in you hidden behind that soldier facade forever.  He will eventually break her out.  Even you aren't strong enough to fight the feelings he has for you", she paused "or your own feelings for him."
 
Jai looked at Mistress Fong, "I'll fight him every step of the way and I won't lose."
 
"You are a most stubborn girl.  What are you afraid of?  After all you have been through, don't you deserve to be happy?  That man over there is the only one who can heal your shattered soul and you are the only one who can heal his."
 
"I don't deserve to be happy. It's my punishment for being so foolish and letting my guard down.  Quatre is kind and gentle.  Even through a war he managed to keep his innocence.  I'm not worthy to be with him and as soon as he figures it out the better."
 
Mistress Fong shook her head balled her little hands into fists, "I see you still have a low opinion of yourself as a woman.  As long as you do those who have dishonored you will always control your life.  And as for Quatre, don't be so fooled by his outward appearance.  He might be better at hiding himself from the world than you are.  I hate to see you waste your life and his by pushing him away.  He needs you and you need him.  Go to him."
 
The last sentence came out like a command.  Master Fong called everyone over to him and Jai was greatful to be spared the wrath of Mistress Fong.
 
Master Fong took a drop of the light blue liquid and placed a couple of drops in to the remaining vial of Duo's blood.  At first the vial turned purple but gradually the color turned from purple to clear.  Sally and Jai jumped up and down.  They gave Master Fong a great big hug.  Master Fong smiled at the women.  Wufei, Quatre and Mistress Fong smiled as well.  They now had the antidote.  Master Fong placed the antidote in a new vial and handed it to Jai.
 
"Thank You Master Fong" Jai said as she hugged Master Fong again and the two couples left Master and Mistress Fong.
 
"Janai! Don't forget what I told you!"  Mistress Fong shouted.
 
The two couples sped back to the hospital as the sun woke the world with its yellow and orange rays.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Catherine, Kellee and Trowa arrived at the address the manager gave them for Felicia Baker. It was a run down apartment building in the worst part of town.
 
Felicia had finished packing the last of their belongings.  She and her three-year old daughter Jennifer were leaving for the colonies.
 
"Going somewhere?"
 
Felicia turned around to see two women and a man standing behind her.  Her eye shifted to the bedroom door.
 
"The girl is just fine.  She's still sleeping" the man said
 
"What do you want?  Why are you here? Who are you?"
 
The blond woman spoke," One question at a time.  My name is Athena, her name is Artemis and his name is"
 
"Nanashi"
 
Athena gave him a bewildered look but said nothing.
 
"How much did they pay you to put that poison in that mans food?"  Artemis demanded.
 
Felicia's jaw dropped, "How did you.."
 
"Just answer the question don't make me force it out of you", Artemis said as she pulled out two throwing knives.
 
"Fifty thousand" Felicia responded fearing for her life as she stared at the knives.
 
"Who gave it to you?"  Artemis asked as she took a menacing step forward.
 
"An old woman with gray hair.  She looked rich. I'd never seen her before she approached me. She said he had to pay for all of the death and destruction he caused and offered me the fifty thousand cash.  I needed the money to get back to the colonies and make a better life for me and my daughter." Felicia replied backing away from the advancing knives and backing into the wall.
 
They had already figured out why she did it when they saw the sleeping girl as they came in the window.
 
The hair on the back of Nanashi's neck stood up as rustling was heard outside of the apartment door.  Before he could give a warning the door crashed open and bullets began to fill the room.  Artemis grabbed Felicia and dove behind the couch.  Athena flipped over the kitchen table and hide behind it.  Nanashi made a break for the little girls room.  Athena and Artemis returned fire and after about five minutes all was silent.  Artemis, Felicia and Athena emerged from their hiding places.  Three men lay dead on the floor.  Athena quickly searched their bodies and pocketed all that she found.
 
Artemis turned to Felicia, "Looks like someone wanted a refund."
 
The sounds of laughter came from the little girls room.
 
"Oh my God, Jennifer" Felicia gasped as she ran for the bedroom.
 
She flung the door open.
 
"Hi Mommy!! Mr. Nashi wa givin' me sock puppet show!" Jennifer giggled," He so funny!"
 
Felicia grabbed Jennifer and gave her a crushing a hug.
 
"Can't breathe Mommy!"
 
Felicia relaxed her grip on Jennifer.
 
Nanashi removed the socks from his hands, "We have to leave here now."
 
They all nodded in response and left the apartment using the fire escape.
 
A half an hour later they arrived at the shuttle port.  Athena handed them to shuttle tickets, an envelope and a business card.
 
"Here you go.  If you need any help call the number on that card.  It's a social service agency that helps people find homes, jobs and other needed services."
 
Felicia gave Athena a hug.
 
"Thank you for everything"
 
Jennifer gave Nanashi a kiss on the cheek.
 
"Tanks Mr. Nashi fa makin' me laugh."
 
"You're welcome little one" he replied and smiled at the girl.
 
Felicia grabbed Jennifer's hand and ran for the shuttle and their new life.
 
"I didn't know you were good with kids."  Athena said to Nanashi.
 
"There are a lot of things you don't know about me", he replied as he walked away.
 
'But I intend to find out' Athena thought as the trio left the shuttle port.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Duo and The God of Death stood facing each other for a few moments.
 
"I don't have time for this.  Get out of my way" Duo told Death looking her straight in the eye.
 
Duo tried to walk past Death only to be punched.  Duo stumbled back.
 
"I already told you; you'll have to get through me.  I own you and your soul."
 
"No one owns me", Duo shot back at death," and Hilde owns my soul."
As he landed his own punch on Death's face.
 
Then Death and Duo engaged in the fight for life; Duo's life, each throwing a series of punches at the other.  Death was shocked at the amount of power Duo had.
 
"I'm impressed Duo," Death said as she landed another punch, "I didn't think you would last this long."
 
"Yeah" he said while landing his next punch, "You'll be amazed at what I can do." As he swept Death legs from underneath her causing her to fall to the ground.  Duo took the opportunity to make a run for the golden light.
 
Duo was half way there.  He could see the golden rays increase in intensity as he neared it.  Death appeared before and he grabbed her shoulders, flipped over her head, landed on his feet and kept on running.
 
"Thank You Trowa!" he said as he nearly entered the golden light to return to the world of the living.  He felt something grab him by the collar and throw him back.
 
"Did you think you could escape me you fool!?" Death yelled, "I am The God of Death, you die when I say you die."
 
"Not today I don't" he replied as he lunged at Death.  Death side stepped him and grabbed Duo by his throat.  He felt the same cold feeling as before when she'd touched his hand shoot though him.  Death grinned evilly in his face.
 
"Today you die, Duo Maxwell."
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Jai raced into Duo's room startling Hilde out of her light slumber.  She held a syringe in her hand.
 
"I got the antidote!" she happily said as she injected it into the IV line. 
 
They both stood there and watched as the blue liquid made its way down the IV tube and into Duo's blood stream.  Both women began jumping up and down and hugging each other.  All of a sudden they heard a dreadful noise.
 
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~