Even Angels Fall - Prologue

 

You found hope, you found faith.

Found how fast she could take it away.

Found true love, but lost your heart.

Now you don't know who you are.

He ran careful fingers over her face, tracing her lips, her eyelids, and her ears with delicate movements. She sighed in her sleep, stirring the brownish blond hair that cascaded about the pillow and brushed against her neck. He longed to kiss her again, but her knew it would wake her.

She had been his hope, his fear, his competition, she had been his only joy his onlyindulgence. One month. For one month, everything was perfect.

But he knew it couldn't work. He knew that their love could only end in tears. So he had to go. He had to leave before he risked getting hurt. Before he risked hurting her.

She made it easy, made it free.

Made you hurt till you couldn't see.

Sometimes it stops, sometimes it flows.

But baby, that is how love goes.

He wouldn't usually have let it go so far, but he couldn't seem for detach himself from her. She would smile, or perhaps curve her hand in his, and he would allow himself another day, another moment of pretending that they could be together forever.

Perhaps it was his training telling him that he could not luxuriate for even a moment. One month of love. One perfect, beautiful memory. Surely that was enough for him.

Relena, I-

 

You will fly and you will crawl.

God knows even angels fall.

No such thing as you've lost it all.

God knows even angels fall.

He allowed himself a smile. Well, as close to smile that he could manage. He had loved desperately that night, holding onto her as if she was the last stop from oblivion. She would probably hate him. She would probably never want to speak to him again. That was for the best.

I just want to say-

It's a secret, that no one tells.

One day it's heaven one day it's hell.

And it's no fairy tale, take it from me.

That's the way it's supposed to be.

It was love now. It was pure, unconditional love. But one day, that love would cool into emptiness, and they would live together merely out of habit. He couldn't stand it. Heero Yuy never stooped for anything less than-

Perfection.

You will fly and you will crawl.

God knows even angels fall.

No such thing as you've lost it all.

God knows even angels fall.

The way her arm curled around the pillow, the way her chest moved as she breathed. The way she would twitch he toes when you touched her nose. Simply perfect.

He was standing at the edge of the bed, staring down at her. He was absorbed in the darkness, while she was silvery under the full light of the moon casting upon the bedstead.

He had to leave some sort of message.

You laugh, you cry, no one knows why,

But oh, the thrill of it all.

You're on the ride,

You might as well, open your eyes.

She was so passionate, so full of life. And what was he? He was all things bad. How did the nursery rhyme go? Ah, yes; girls were made of sugar, spice, and everything nice, while boys were made of frogs, snails and puppy dogs tails. How fitting.

He reached over to the table and scratched a message, 'Omae o korosou.'

No. That wasn't right. It had to mean something. Quietly, he tore the paper in two.

The two papers fluttered to the ground with the breeze from the window that he exited out of, two parts of a soul fractured by pain and worry.

You will fly and you will crawl.

God knows even angels fall.

No such thing as you've lost it all.

God knows even angels fall.

Even angels fall.

Even angels fall.

 

 

"Why don't I have a daddy, Mama?" it was a frequently asked question, Relena mused, watching her six year old daughter staring up at her mother with love and trust.

Relena picked up her daughter and smoothed away her unruly dark hair, "Shush, Sidra, you don't need a daddy."

"But why don't I have one?" she demanded, the stubbornness she had adopted from both her parents had kicked in.

Relena was getting impatient with her daughter, so she brought them both down into a rocking chair, and she idly played with the young girl's hair. The rocking and the sensation of fingers through her hair soothed Sidra. She smiled to herself. Heero had also loved to have fingers through his hair, "Sidra, your daddy couldn't be with us."

She looked up at her mother questioningly, her bright eyes a proud statement of her maternal lineage, "Why?"

"Because your father wanted to protect peace."

"Really?"

"And he knew he couldn't stay with us to do that, so he made a sacrifice."

"Why?"

"Because he wants you to grow up without the suffering that he endured. Don't worry, he still loves you."

 

He placed a hand around the crown of his daughter's head amazedly. He looked up at her and murmured, "Don't let her die."

 

"I love him too." She grinned, wiggling her front tooth with a tongue, "What was his name?"

She held her daughter close, hiding her pained expression in her hair, "One day I'll tell you."

For she had never told anyone else before, not even the father.

 

 

She held the disk in her hands with wonder, "I can't believe you got this information so quickly!"

The man looked up at her with empty eyes, eyes filled with pain and sorrow, "It was simple." His voice was so emotionless, that the woman dropped the subject, paid, and left.

He looked up to the domed roof of the colony, swallowing painfully. It was so difficult to live.

But a Gundam pilot never quit. Heero Yuy always endured.

Relena....I just wanted to say that I don't hate you