CHAPTER III-Nighttime

 

The moonlight was wafting through the window, artificial of course, as everything was on a colony. The silver moon glow was chased away by the low yellow light that illuminated a small studio apartment. Heero had never been more exhausted in his life. After two hours of deep sleep, Sidra woke up with a bundle of energy that nearly drove Heero to insanity. He had been barraged all day with questions and pleads and ideas. He sighed miserably. His child simply would not shut up!

But she was asleep again, and Heero was still awake, cleaning his apartment with embarrassment. He wanted to set an example for the little child. A small, not often acknowledged part of him wanted her to be proud of him, wanted her to look upon him with those big bright eyes filled with pride and admiration.

Even if she would never look upon him the way a daughter looks upon a father, he could be content with any sort of bond they could form. He had wanted for so many years to talk to her, but incessant fear had kept him back. Now the fact that there was nothing else he could do but take care of her had killed his inhibitions.

How many dirty dishes did he have? How did they all pile up in the sink like that? Why couldn't he get rid of the smell of unwashed socks? He worked for two hours on that small room and cramped bathroom, padding quietly across the floor so not to awaken his daughter.

His daughter. What a thrill to think that. He paused from his scrubbing of the floor to look at the little angel that was stretched out on the couch, pillowing one cheek with a hand the way her mother did when deeply asleep.

Sighing, Heero looked over to the cleaned bed and turned down the freshly changed sheets. It was time to get her to bed. He scooped her up like she was as breakable as glass and laid her gently on his cot. She was still asleep. But whimpering. Her hands reached out and she made little sad noises in her throat.

He looked at her as if she was having a seizure. Gently, he brushed her dark hair from her forehead and murmured something soothing.

She tightened her grip on his arm and snuggled against him. Giving in, he settled under the sheets with his daughter, cradling her against his chest as she slept peaceful, angelic dreams, knowing with dread that the angel would disappear with unconsciousness and she would soon be up to her usual mischief.

 

 

Sidra woke to the warmth of a soft bed and a protective arm around her. She first believed that she was back at home, sleeping with her mother like she always did when she had bad dreams. But no, her surroundings were different, and the person beside her was definitely masculine. She sat up carefully, so not to wake her guardian.

It was hard for her, at the meager age of six, to hold back a giggle when she saw something funny, and Heero was such a sight that it was hard not to laugh.

His head had slipped off of the pillow and half of his face was buried in the mattress as he snored lightly, dressed in the clothes he had spent the day in.

But there was something sad about his face that brought tears to the young girl's eyes. She did as her mother always told her- and kissed the pain away by giving Heero a light peck on the forehead. He moved slightly, murmuring softly in his sleep, "I'm so sorry, Relena...."

Which gave the young girl something to think about as she scampered off to the magically clean kitchenette to try her hand at breakfast making.