CHANG WUFEI'S SOCIAL EXPERIMENT

by MastAChillA

Well, the war is over. After Endless Waltz, every pilot has gone his separate ways, and probably with their respective female significant others (Trowa and his sister Catherine, Quattre and Dorothy, Heero and Relena, Duo and Hilde). Chang Wufei, after a harrowing two years has also destroyed his Gundam (or entombed it in stone, if you read my other fics) is a bit lost as to what he is to do now. No need for war,probably no need for him. But wait! Is that Sally Po in the corner of his eye? Wonder what led him to say....

"I want to conduct a social experiment with you."

The year is After Colony 197.2 (February).

 

Duo tugged at Chang's button and lapels again. Seems the perfect Warrior needed a bit of help. Chang snorted, fuming at his failed attempts at accurately pinning a corsage on his shoulder.

"Dammnit Wufei, hold still!"Duo jerked at his cummerbund. "May be your first date in years, but help a guy out here!"

<Chang>:This is NOT a date! It's a "social experiement"! I'm simply taking my superior along as a test subject!*groans* This silly idea of dressing up for a woman is revolting! I should be able to wear anything I please!

Duo laughed. "Is that why Hilde and I are coming? So you don't embarrass yourself?" he smiled.

Chang ignored Duo's remark and held his breath tight as Duo tugged. Man, he'd rather be in Nataku fighting off OZ or something.... But hey, this Sally Po is no ordinary woman. Unlike most, Wufei respects this one. Maybe, he thought this was payback for her helping the GUndam pilots.

"Ready!" Duo beamed. "Now, let's grab the flowers and go!"

"Flowers.....? Wait a minute...uhhrk!"

At Sally Po's place, the girls were having a similar pow wow over their host. Relena finally managed to grab some time off to help Sally with her hair, although the braids were probably best left alone. Dorothy was cackling something about sales being up (while administering nail polish) while Noin readied her dress.

"He picked a strange night to ask you out, but it's a nice night!" Noin said.

<Relena>: Where is he taking you, anyway? A Chinese restaurant ,maybe?

<Sally>: Heck no! We're both Chinese, rememeber? I get enough of that at home! He'd better have a good place in mind....

Dorothy tugged Sally's toe, making her yelp a bit in pain.

"What was that for?"

"Well, seems you're taking this a little too seriously. What if he wants to "experiment" on something else?"

"So Quattre hasn't?" Relena joined in.

"Uhhh.....never mind *blushes* Quattreo's another subject!" Dorothy torted.

<Noin>; His name's Quatt REY. That Italian accent really makes him sound like a cowboy. SPeaking of cowboys.... here's Duo and HIlde at the door!

<Hilde>: Hey guys, come out already! It's a beautiful night! And look who came after all! (points at Chang)

<Noin>: Get ready, Sally. And good luck!

Sally stepped down the stairs. Even Chang couldn't believe what she was wearing. After two years of seeing her in fatigues and Preventer uniforms, Wufei never realized how gorgeous Sally looked in a dress.

It went with her hair and eyes, and resembled a Chinese "Chong Sam", with a slit leading from her ankles to her left hip. It was bright red with yellow lining, immediately cathing Wufei's attention. Her braided hair was pegged back, until it became a single strand, almost matching Duo's.

"You...you...want to make a fool of me, WOMAN????? Dress a little more decently! " Chang tried to hide.

" Any more decent, and....." Duo was cut off by Hilde pulling his ear.

"Come on Wufei,"Sally gently shook her head," You said I was a warrior like you. Don't you think I look good in a dress instead of a space suit?"

"Ahh...uh....you probably do...hmph! Let's go!" Chang marched off.

Sally giggled, knowing that Wufei at least didn't kung fu kick her for it. The others always wondered why she had a soft spot for Chang, the eternal chauvanist and misogynist. She simply brushed their concerns aside, agreeing to Chang's idea of a social experiment out of hand. Some suggested that she go out with someone else, but she insisted on Chang. Somehow, she had this feeling.....

"Are you coming , WOMAN?"

Duo,Hilde sat in the back of the car while Sally drove (she insisted). Chang looked out the window, looking at the restored Neo China/Lon Colony lights. Even he would admit, the stars were beautiful tonight. They passed several blocks of brilliantly lighted skyline and some casinos. Hilde remarked that she had never seen anything as beautiful as this in her city, making Duo queasy. Chang looked at Sally. She was radiant , her eyes sparkling like the stars above their heads. Chang found his eyes wandering lower and lower, to the point where he was basically staring at her knees moving. True, that slit was opening and closing at a rythm he liked. Duo and Hilde were chuckling at the seemingly catatonic Chang.

Sally stopped at a red light and stole a glance at her 'date'. The white tux, initally Heero's , fit Wufei like a glove. His sloping shoulders were pefectly accentuated to the tux, and soon she was gazing at him too. His hair was the usual pulled back in a pony tail look, but there was a scent of toilet water in it. The ixora flower he wore as a corsage complimented his deep black eyes. While Wufei looked a little skinny before, this tux certainly brought out his features. All of a sudden, he was putting his hand on her shoulder.....

"Green light, woman. DRIVE already!" Sally quickly stepped on the pedal.

"We're here," Wufei told Sally to stop. Duo and Hilde looked out the window to survey the place, the so called 'Londo Bell'. It had no relation to it's Taco namesake, as Duo thought, gazing at the revolving door.

Sally pulled at her door, but Wufei pulled it for her. Surprised by this , Sally asked why Wufei did that. Wufei harrumphed and said Sally simply was too slow in getting out, and he was hungry.

"I have to admit , Wufei's got good taste!" Duo exclaimed at they entered.

Hilde nodded, noting the English decor and ballroom setup. Chang, as usual was in front, insisting that he see the maitre'd first to get good seats. Out he came, apologizing. Chang fumed, bellowing about how he issued the permit for this place in the begining.

"Vidan, get your act together! My party and I would like a table for four. The usual, of course"

""So sorry sir, we've got a lot of customers today......even the Zabi family decided to try come over!"

Giren Zabi waved to Jerid Mesa, who was carrying their orders. This only infuriated Chang even more.

"Never mind the damn Zabis! GET ME A SEAT, NOW!"

Duo lurched forward to confront Chang, appalled by his behivour. Surely screaming in a restaurant like this was even beyond even Sally's tolerance level.

"Wufei, why are you embarrassing us like this? I agreed to come with you because I thought you learned something! I guess some people never change!"

Chang, in another unexpected move brushed Duo aside and took Sally's hand.

"You don't want to sit next to the kitchen, do you? Come, woman, Jerid over there is taking us to our table."

<Hilde>: You think he's on something? He seems to know everyone here by first name!

<Duo>: Well, I didn't shoot him. Maybe Heero shot him with a poison dart...?

Jerid pulled their seats out, and the foursome sat down at their table. Violin music filled the hall while elegant waiters hurried left and right, carrying trays topped with exquisite dishes and drinks. Chang was smiling, happy that everything was finally going right. Sally caught his smile, but the menus flashed in front of them before she could talk to him. Hilde cheerfuly ordered the 'Ouraki Special', while Duo asked Jerid if they had any burgers and fries. Sally scanned the menu, and looked to Chang.

"I'll have what he's having," she declared.

<Chang>: I still haven't decided yet, woman! Now I have to decide for you? Oh alright, we'll have three sirloin steaks. Like I usually have. And drinks all round.

<Sally>: Steaks? Wufei, when did you strike gold?

"You didn't expect me to come unprepared, did you?" Chang patted his money pouch.

"Gee, I'm impressed!" Sally beamed. Maybe there was something in Chang after all.

"Lady Une gave the Preventers a raise, didn't she?" Hilde remembered.

Chang shook his head. "No, this is my own money. Experiments need funding, you know." Everyone oohhed. Impressive, Wufei.

A couple of minutes later came a blond, sunglassed waiter with their food. Sally moved her cutlery aside, and put on her napkin. Wufei was uncharacteristically (as he had been all night) quiet, and focused on his meal. Sally thought maybe it was just his nobility working, but the uncomfortable look in Wufei's eyes seemed to betray him somewhat. She felt very uneasy eating, with Chang slowly eating through his steak, not talking to anyone. Hilde and Duo were enjoying themselves and their dinner, leaving Sally alone to think on Wufei. There was this grip he seemed to have on her, his mysterious demeanor and inner pain seeming to affect her somewhow. Growing up in China was tough enough, but there was something about Wufei that was troubling him on the night....

"Wufei," she started gently."What's wrong?"

She had such a way with words, Wufei thought. How could he tell her about Merian, his late wife from so long ago? He realized that he was overcome with the euphoria of victory over the MarieMia army that he briefly forgot about Merian. He carried the pain of her sacrifice all through the campaigns against OZ and the MA, and no one but Master O knew. Being with another woman, albiet on an experiment seemed alien to him. Each bite of his steak seemed longer and longer till he could actually feel the meat sliding down his throat. He didn't know what else to do, as Duo and Hilde were still chatting happily. Duo was even feeding Hilde some of his chips, laughing. The looks on their eyes were so full of affection and joy, two things Chang really only found in battle. He turned to Sally, who had quite a different look in her eyes. He turned away, not wanting to talk.

"Leave me be...woman."

"Excuse me , Mr..Maxwell, is it? There's a phone call for you at the desk." Jerid interrupted.

Duo got up and so did Hilde, escorted by Jerid and Camille. This left Wufei alone with Sally. Sally put her hand on Wufei's and asked him again.

"Wufei, is something wrong....? It's not my dress or something, is it?"

"No...no it isn't you. For the record, you look...like the stars in the summer night....exquisite."

"Oh, Wufei...."

"It's something else....."

"Wufei, we're alone now....there's no need to hide."She gripped his hand.

"Can't you ever.....oh what the hell.... suppose I can't hide it forever.....Sally, I'm not feeling comfortable right now because...of someone very dear to me long ago....I swore I'd never feel like this....then the war ended so suddenly with Wing Zero.....I don't know how I survived...oh, Nataku.....what do I do..." he couldn't meet her eyes.

"Nataku? Your Gundam?"

"No, I named my Gundam after Nataku.....she called herself Nataku......long ago, when the Alliance just attacked our colony....we were bonded by our elders to marriage, as people of the Dragon Clan. I wanted to fight, but Merian...her name was Merian....."

Wufei stopped on that note, dipping his head.

"She went and fought in a mobile suit....I begged her not to, but she did. She fought for me,for us all at L5. She asked me to take her to the grassy field where we were to be married.....and left me. I swore that I would never enjoy women again. Foolish creatures, women. Always beleiving in things..... Merian believed in me, and i failed her....now I'm afraid I'll fail again....so forgive me if I seem inappropriate tonight...."

"Wufei......there's nothing to forgive.....I might not know how you feel, but I do know what it's like to be alone....it's not pretty, I know....that's why people like you and me always end up meeting each other. I'm not a big fan of destiny , but I think nobody is meant to be alone....even Heero has Relena to watch for him..even if he thinks it's the other way round. But your pain, Wufei....please, share it with others..share it with me.....it's the only way to heal it."

"Sally....why are you so tolerant of me and people like me? I would have thought women disliked my kind..."

"I believed in you, Wufei, just like I believed in Heero at New Edwards. And I still do....believe in you, I mean."

"Sally...thank you..." Chang gobbled up the last of his steak. "It's nice to know even a woman can understand how I feel."

"Anytime, Wufei......anytime...."

Duo burst back in, a worried look on his face.

"Sorry to cut this short guys, but Hilde and I have to get back home. Seems our new client, Judo Ashta just popped in from Shangri-La for an inspection. We'll catch a cab, OK? Hey Wufei , TRY to have a good time, alright?"

Sally waved them goodbye and sat next to Wufei (they were opposite each other the last time).

"Now we're really alone, Wufei. But now it's my turn to tell you something.."

"This is still an experiment, Sally. Take your time....."

"No, I have to tell you now....you're the first man I've ever had the courage to dress up for...."

"What about your Academy days? I'm sure you would have attracted some interest."

"I was a medic....not much time in between training...promotion kinda hampered me a bit too. Guys didn't want to date a superior officer. And there weren't many ranks above Major...." Sally shook her head. "not many with unmarried men, anyway..."

"Come now, I'm sure someone like you would have some moments!"

Sally shook her head again, noting that her dream of becoming a useful helper in society was tarnished by the Alliance's colony invasion. Being a medic in the Alliance wasn't such a hot prospect for men. Wufei's sympathy for Sally came from his own pity for Merian, who was forced into their marriage. Although he and Merian loved each other, he always felt that she was denied a say in the matter. Sally's story seemed to strike a chord in him. Maybe this was Merian telling him to go on with his life?

"Sally.....all those men are fools." He looked into her hazel eyes. "They really don't know what they're missing...."

"Wufei...."

"Fools, alright," he said, standing up. "Fools who never realized......how unique you are."

Sally got up and took Chang's hand.

"Dance, Mr Chang ?"

"Yes...Miss Sally Po. Careful though, I'm still a beginner. Heero never bothered to teach me how...."

"Like you needed to know at the time?"Her experssion changed.. "Listen, if you want to stop...."

"Hush, woman! Can't you see I'm trying to dance with you?" He didn't scream this time though.

The restaurant patrons clapped as the newest performer came onto the stage, carrying a flute accompanied by a bow tied girl on the piano. The MC introduced them at the Blooms, Triton and Catherine.

They took a bow and began playing. Chang uneasily stepped onto the polished floor, not used to the atmosphere. Sally took him in her stride.

"I'll lead, you follow for once..alright, Wufei?"

"You had better lead me well, woman! Don't embarrass me!"

"Don't worry! It's you that has to avoid embarassing me!" she confidently torted.

Triton played a mean flute. His piercing sounds, aided by his sister's melodic tunes almost made the stage float. Chang mirrored Sally's moves, though it was very hard to dance with a taller woman, especially one whose eye's he just couldn't stop staring into. It was amazing that he couldn't even step on her feet. He expected his social experiement to fail at this stage, but he was enjoying himself, content to sway with his partner. If there was anyone not happy at this stage, Chang Wufei was definitely NOT one of those people.

The guilt he had over Merian seemed to wash over him earlier on, but now it had all but disappeared. It was as if Merian herself was dancing with him....

Sally wheed as Wufei took control, twirling her around to Triton's beat. The slit in Sally's dress made dancing easier as it gave her more freedom to move around. Pretty soon, people were watching the two, including the two performers.

<Amuro>: Look at that lady in red dance!

<Hathaway>: Dad, can you teach me to dance like that?

"Wow.....you were amazing, Wufei! I thought you said you didn't know how!" puffed Sally, after the intermission.

" I didn't either, woman......" Chang turned as the crowd applauded.

Another steak lay on their table when they returned. Sally remembered Wufei asking for three, but she didn't want to ask him why, or she just assumed it was for Duo.

"Wufei, who is this for?"

"For us. I told Quattro there to serve it after we left for the dance floor." (waves to the sunglassed waiter)

"I don't understand...."

"I told them beforehand about the experiment. They were to serve it if I was deemed to have made someone happy. Tell me, how am I doing?"

"Eat the steak, Wufei. You're paying for it.: *wink*

"Oh no, I;m stuffed. Sit down, I'll think of something."

"I'll eat it then."

Wufei shook his head.

"Here."

Wufei took a fork and knife, cutting the steak expertly. He held one end up to her mouth.

"I saw Duo do this. I know I can pull this off."

Sally, knowing what he was getting at, bit the piece off, much to Wufei's relief. One more second and he would have put it in his own mouth.

"Y'know, some couples use a cake , Wufei. But that was really sweet of you......let me feed you now."

"I'm not a baby, woman! Don't feed me!"

Too late, Wufei. Her fork is jammed between your teeth with a piece of steak inside.Chang growled, but he chewed the steak anyway, easing up after calming down.

"Oh, you'll get the hang of it, Wufei...trust me!"

"I'd better, if I'm going to do this again!"

"hmmm?"

"You...DO..want to do this again sometime, don't you?"

Sally smiled, nodding. There was something new about Chang Wufei, a Duo-esque feel about him. While she may have not changed him entirely, Sally Po has gone where no woman has (wth the exception of Merian)- into Wufei's heart.

"Good. I'll let you choose next time," he smiled. "and wear that dress again."

Sally's heart skipped a beat- again.

 

 

The Gundam girls were still at Sally's place, oogling over magazines and TV men, when the car returned. Dorothy jumped over the couch, cackling.

"I'm sure she's back early beacause he ditched her! Wufei's such an arrogant bastard, I know that he probably did!"

"I'd hate to say it, Dorothy, but I think I agree with you," Relena nodded, putting her Cosmo down.

"This is the guy who kept putting girls down! There's NO way he could change!"

Dorothy strained to view through the stained glass, as did the other girls.

"Hey, what is that they're doing?"

"Is he headbutting her? I'll stab him!"

"OK girls, on three, 1.....2......3.!!!"

The girls burst out armed with hair rollers and dryers. What they saw was something entirely different.

"Hey, who taught you to kiss, Wufei? *chuckles* You've been studying!"

"I'll let you find out...just how much I learned...on our next engagement?"

<Dorothy, from under the pile>: Wha...did someone say engagement?

"I'll be looking forward to it, Wufei."

She bucked forward, kissing him again. This time, he really wasn't headbutting her. The girls saw tongues, closed eyes, head gripping, the whole lot.

<Relena>:"Well girls, I'll be damned......."

Sally walked in, gave Wufei another look and closed the door behind her. Wufei smiled again, and drove off. He pulled his car phone out and dialed Sally's number as soon as she saw the girls off.

"We're not finished talking." She just smiled."Talk away, Wufei.."

<Dorothy, on her vid-phone>: Quattreo! I wanna conduct a social experiment with you!

<Quattre>: ????

<Dorothy>: JUST DO IT!

 

HAH!-Stay tuned for Dorothy's experiment!

The End, I guess... whaddyu fink?

hamahas@brunet.bn