SELLING MEMORIES TO CREATE HAPPINESS

by MasTaChiLLa at hamahas@brunet.bn

*After EW story, about a year or so later*

 

"I swear, Auda, if I have to write up ONE more order form......."Dorothy hissed.

"Forgive us, Vice President Catalonia........but the orders are coming in like ants to a picnic! Even you have to admit, Master Quattre is a genius at marketing!"

Dorothy sighed.

"I know, I know! Selling these....these...." She held the toy in her hand.:...these trinkets was a lucky fluke, if you ask me!"

"Did we ever ask you?" Rashid laughed, along with Cool Abdul. Dorothy moaned again.

The scene was the weekly meeting of Winner enterprises executives, which comprised of the 40 Maguanacs, Quattre's oh 20-something sisters and his surprise choice of vice president, Dorothy Catalonia, the very girl that stabbed him on the Libra. There were initial protests at her appointment, but young Winner insisted that she would do just fine. The agenda for this week's meeting was the isue of the new Dendrobium toys, which were Quattre's way of recovering capital lost after the resource sattelite was lost. The toys resembled gigantic space stations, with a Gundam head and a giant cannon on its side.It seemed too hideous for Dorothy's liking, but it was selling like hotcakes on the toy market, as was the "Catalonia" brand of eyeshadow.While the latter obviously was a shameless plug on Dorothy's part, she did not know why Winner decided to make toys of the very symbol of war-the Gundams.

All present either rose or stood to attention as the CEO entered. Quattre had dropped his vest and pink shirt routine, preferrring to wear the business suits his late dad made popular. His blond hair was still cut in the adorable puff girls (including Dorothy) liked, although he wore glasses now and carried a briefcase. Dorothy, not to be outdone, also changed clolours, wearing a purple coloured business shirt, along with hat and trousers to match. Her own golden locks were still tied in that familiar headband , and her jewelled earrings provided the lustre that her outfit needed. Still, it was a business meeting.

"I call this meeting to order,"Chairman Rashid tapped the mallet.

"How are the sales going, Dorothy?" Quattre asked in his usual gentle tone.

"They're ...fine, sir. Market reports indicate the Dendrobium toys gained 10% last week."

"Call me Quattre, please....everyone else here does..... Rashid, the others, how about our other products?" Quattre turned to Rashid.

As Rashid looked into his file, Dorothy began twirling her pencil, bored at the tedium that business meetings tended to induce. She knew it all already by heart. Winner socks, Winner buscuits,Winner towels, of all things. She looked up at her 'boss', who was listening intently to his old comrades. From any angle, she concluded, Quattre looked so.......dignified,even if he seemed to be ignoring her. She arched back sharply,though, as she found Quattre staring back at her.

"Something wrong, Dorothy? Maybe I should get you a glass of water?" Quattre offered, interrupting Cool Abdul's report on the Winner Radio Station.

"Oh, it's nothing, Quattre. Just a little headache, that's all."

"Are you sure?" Quattre's expression became more concerned.

"Yes, Quattre-sama. I am fine,"she growled, giving him the same look she did on the Libra. It made Winner roll his chair back a bit, but he moved back forward.

"If you insist, Dorothy. By the way, I need to see you in my office later. You alright with that?"

"Yes."

The meeting ended about an hour later, and Cool Abdul was snapping his fingers, trading barbs with shaving goods executive Ahmad on how "cool" the radio station was. Ahmad would have none of it, boasting of his new "literal shaving cream", which removed the hairs by itself. Auda butted in to show his new project his architects were building in Qatar, a massive shopping mall dotted with space ports and a hotel. Rashid told them to keep quiet, as their VP seemed to be asleep on her part of the massive mahogany table.

"Shhhh! Keep it down, you guys! I'm trying to get some rest.....every week, I have to listen to all of you go on and on about how well you're doing. Don't you guys remember that we fought a war not long ago? It's like you never went through anything!" her eyes almost glowed.

"Oh uh,she's snapped....." Cool Abdul whispered to Rashid.

"Maybe she'll stab us...."Auda whispered.

Luckily for them, Dorothy had cooled down and stood up, giving a big yawn in the process. Oh well, maybe Master Quattre had taught this ex-warmonger a thing or two back on Libra. They quickly made it out, almost falling over one another.Dorothy lazily got up and toted her briefcase as she trudged towards Quattre's office, which was a good office block away.

She was right to tell them off (but then again, she never admits being wrong), but is a memory so hard to lose? Regarding the Maguanacs, who were fighting the Alliance long before the OZ organization showed its head,she now thought she had misplaced her words. After all, a war is not exactly an experience to remember. Dorothy, with losing her grandfather learned that lesson the hard way. But Quattre, after seeing his father killed and all the death he brought and witnessed as a Gundam pilot, was now making money out them. What would his other pilots,even the perfect soldier Heero Yuy think of that?

"He's literally selling those memories.....war is evil, but that doesn't mean he can take advantage of it!"she thought."Who does Quattre think he is? I'm going to give him a piece of my mind! For Grandfather, and all those who died!"

Her fist clenched around the briefcase handle as her elevator slowly climbed to Quattre's penthouse office, which was adjacent to her own luxurious work quarters.I will find the answers! she vowed.

"Enter." Quattre called out from behind his office door. It was amazing that he had no secretary,but when he had more than 60 execs working for him, it was less of a surprise.

"It's me, Dorothy. You said you wanted to see me, Quattre?"

"Yes, please sit down. I'll be with you in a minute."

What nerve! She thought. Quattre was staring down at his paperwork, jotting down figures and notes like Dorothy did not even exist. He was so different this time, seemingly cold, very business minded, very unlike his father, the reknowned pacifist. His pen strokes were rough and dangerously sharp, and Dorothy cringed as Quattre signed off another contract. The pen basically tore through the paper. He shuffled the file and put it neatly above the rest.

"Now Dorothy....can I see the report on the Dendrobium toys for myself? I hear you have some doubts about their market value." Quattre held his hand out.

What has come over him? Doesn't he remember anything? He was the one who changed me! That kind, gentle boy I managed to stab.....This guy,this so called 'entrepreneur' isn't like him at all.....she thought.

"Dorothy,I'm waiting. I don't have all afternoon."

"Here you GO!" she threw the file in his face.

"Dorothy-wha.......why did you do that?"

He was shocked to see that she had grabbed a saber from the wall and slashed open an empty folder. While her stance was the very essence of war, the tears flowing down her cheeks were definitely not. He tried to make some sense out of it, but for once, Quattre Raberba Winner had no answers. He just stood there, paralyzed as the blade was pointed at his head.

"Quat-Quattre! No..you're not Quattre!" she sobbed."Who are you!?!?!? Where is the Quattre I used to know?"

"Calm down, Dorothy....."

"No! I don't want to calm down! Not until I find out what's wrong with you!"

"What are you talking about?"

Dorothy threw the blade away and tightly gripped Quattre's shoulders.

"What happenned to you, Quattre....."she softly asked him. "You're so cold.....don't you even feel ashamed of cashing in those....those mockeries of the Gundams...and the Libra...is this your way of moving on, Quattre? You taught me how to care,Quattre! Why-" she threw a Dendrobium through the window."Why are you so suddenly alien to me ?"

She shook him repeatedly, not aware of what she was doing. Her eyes were closed in anger as she tried to make Quattre listen to her tearful requests. His body shook and his glasses fell off as a result. The breaking glass spilled onto Dorothy's foot, and she yelped in pain, with her eyes forced open. Then she realized her hands were wet with tears not her own. Quattre resembled his insane persona back in the Wing Zero incident,but his eyes were shut in a sort of determined pose. He looked away when he opened them, not wanting her to see his tears. His collar was soaked.

"Dorothy.....once again, you've proven that your kindness far exceeds mine.....I can't tell you how much....."

"Why,Quattre....tell me why....." she put him down.

"I...I...hate the past........I can't find anything good to remember about it....especially the last few years.....aside from meeting people like Trowa and Heero,my life's been so full of hatred,misunderstanding and sorrow....I couldn't save my father....I couldn't save Iria....

I couldn't save anyone! I was just another soldier in that war...bringing more pain and misery...."

"But why the toys....."Dorothy whispered.

"I guess this is my way of using memories to create happiness....to many, the Libra and the Gundams are heroic figures that stood for ideals......for power. Dorothy, many people hailed us as heroes...but every night, after a mission, I gripped my heart.....wondering how many more people I had to kill.....more sons,fathers,daughters,sisters.......forgive me, I must sound like I'm being sorry for myself." he hung his head.

Dorothy observed Quattre for a moment. He was almost trembling, like the chill of outer space itself passed through him. This was a stark contrast to the unfeeling Quattre she had seen easier, but this one was ready to just fall to the floor. And he just did that, hitting his head on the floor.

"You're right, Dorothy!!*thump*I can't forget the past! I"M A MURDERER!!!!*thump*

"Stop it, Quattre, stop it!" Dorothy pulled him to his feet and put some tissue on his bleeding forehead. She rested his head on her lap as she applied the antiseptic.

"Now you know......why I don't want to think of the past, Dorothy.....,"he said, looking up at her."War isn't just evil.....it's painful.....especially for people like us, who lose everything we hold dear and are forced to reminisce at war's end.....I want to move on, Dorothy.....I don't want to die every time I remember my father...I want to live,as he would have wanted me to.....I was a failure as a savior, but I won't fail as a son....I still want to bring happiness to people,to children. Even if it means my own....."

"I understand, Quattre......I understand it all...." she cradled his head in her lap. "I want to bring happiness to people as well......but you're wrong...you weren't a total failure as a saviour....you saved me......"

Instinctly, without warning, Dorothy tilted her head down until her left cheek was side by side with Quattre's, turning his head and pressing their lips together.

"You saved me, Quattre Raberba Winner......don't you forget that....." her breath rang in his ear.

"Dorothy...."

"But you can't deal with the pain like this......it's not true to your nature......I can understand your need for turning the Gundam legacy into something positive,but I don't want to see the Quattre I know...the Quattre I.....the Quattre that I love die just because of it....." She stroked his hair, a bit oblivious to what she had just said and did.

"I don't know what to say......."

"We'll do this together,then.....if you don't have the strength.....I might lend you some, gentle warrior....."

"That's what Rashid called me......now I know its true meaning....thank you, Dorothy.....I can't make it all go away.....but with your help, maybe my heart can heal the pain....oh, and one more thing....about the real me....."

"What is it?"

"The real me loves you too." He pulled her down until they were side by side and kissed her with his eyes open, looking into Dorothy's fluttering own pair of blues. There was nothing left for them to say to each other, other than the message they shared with their hearts.That needed no words. Just memories. Fond memories....of the future.

 

 

DJ Cool Abdul spun on his seat and put on a record.

"And this is for anyone out there who feels lonely, unwanted...anyone who needs love....don't worry, people...there's always someone out there watching over you...to share your pain...."

 

THE END

want more or no more? write to hamahas@brunet.bn ......please?I'm just dying to know!