Endless HAVOC: God vs. Soldier
by Neesah

Disclaimer: I repeat I don't own Gundam Wing, Gundam G or any other Gundam series, characters and mecha. But the other characters in this fic aside from those you are all familiar with are mine.

I hope that Chapter 1 is mysterious enough to arouse your curiousity to continue reading. This is my first fanfic so please bear with me. Endless HAVOC is set right after Endless Waltz and I tried to pattern it after the Gundam tradition. There is no lemon or lime here, also this is non yaoi, all pairings are straight and the 'usual' ones. For comments, suggestions or reviews you can email me at raizenheero@aol.com .

Warning: Slight language though I think I only used one in the entire chapter. Oh well, just thought to warn you.





Chapter 2: And so the end begins...



MARCH AC 198

Relena was startled when the intercom buzzed. Pressing the button, she mumbled, "Yes, Athena," never keeping her eyes off the papers she's reading.

"Relena-sama, Lady Une is here to see you."

"Send her in." Relena looked up when she heard the door open. "Lady Une, it's nice of you to drop by. "

"Thank you, Vice Foreign Minister. I hope Im not intruding."

"No you're not. And don't be so formal, Lady Une. We're friends. Please sit down." Relena smiled, waiting for Lady Une to sit down and get comfortable before continuing, "What can I do for you? If you came here to tell me about Milliardo and Noin's wedding then you're a few minutes late. I just heard from them."

Lady Une couldn't help but smile. "So you already knew the good news? It's about time those two tied the knot. Though I would like it that they let us know in advance so we could come or they could just get married here so we all have an excuse to see everybody." But her smile was short-lived when she remembered the reason behind her visit. "But that's not why Im here, Relena."

Warning bells rang in Relena's head. Lady Une has her 'soldier's mask' but she could see worry and concern in her eyes.

Lady Une took a deep breath then continued. "The Preventers have stumbled into something but before we act on it while it's still small, I have to know first-hand information on what is really happening in the ESUN. And you're the only one who has a fairly good idea what's happening, the only one credible enough whom I can ask. And the only one that would care, anyways."

Relena didn't answer immediately. She gathered her thoughts and recalled everything, noting every detail, appraising and analyzing each situation carefully. "Well, there is definitely some kind of political tension in the Congregation. Those new Cabinet Members are acting like they're the ones calling all the shots, that they own the whole ESUN. They're behaving as if the earth own the colonies or that the colonies owe the earth. Considering the fact that most of them are old, stuffy, leftover aristocrats from the Alliance and Romefeller, Im not surprised. But their behavior is making the colony heads and delegates restless. Their demands to the colonies are getting to be too much and outrageous. But the President just sits there doing nothing. Most of the Colony delegates in the Senate think that the Total Disarmament Treaty is just another ruckus of the Earth to subjugate and rule the colonies for good. Though Im trying to reassure them that that is not the case, the tension and paranoia are growing everyday. Breakdown in communication is imminent, the colony heads' distrust is building up while the Earth officials' greed is increasing too. The Congregation is now split into two parts: The Earth delegates and the Colony delegates though nobody will admit it. But it is fairly evident that the whole ESUN is feeling the tension, fearing what this political upheaval will bring. I have even gotten a report that the colonies are thinking of nullifying the Treaty and to declare their independence if this keeps up. " Relena stopped when she saw the look in Lady Une's face. "Don't worry. It's not too late to salvage the relationship between the Earth and the Colonies. I know that this is just a misunderstanding and that if everyone cooperate and talk peacefully all of us will come to terms. That's why I personally suggested to the President an emergency Congregation Conference which I prefer to call a 'Peace Summit'. It will be held in L3 tomorrow so we could discuss things and dispel any kind of speculation, paranoia and misunderstanding. In that way, we could prevent another Operation Meteor from happening."

"That's why Im here, Relena. We discovered plans for another Operation Meteor but I have to talk to you first so I could know if it's really possible before we make our move."

"It is possible, if that's what you're asking me. But I think that the colonies are not that desperate yet to wage war again. I personally know that everyone is tired and wary of war and if there is even a slight chance of settling this peacefully they would take that chance. They learned the hard way, and I believe that everyone concerned will choose peace over war."

Lady Une sat silent, mulling over what Relena said. "I agree with you. And I know that you have the ability to fix this situation. But what's bothering me is that I cant stop thinking that there's more to this than meets the eye. With the gradual political upheaval and this Operation Meteor II, I cant help but think that there's something going on, that we are like actors in a play, everything is scripted, as if..."

"As if someone is pushing the ESUN towards chaos that will lead to another war," Relena finished for Lady Une. Her head pounded. It's happening again, Relena thought to herself. NO! I wont let this happen! I wont have another war, not in my lifetime, not ever! I wont let any civilian suffer again. I wont let any more soldiers sacrifice their souls and lives to protect their loved-ones. I wont let the world give birth to another Milliardo Peacecraft or another Perfect Soldier! Relena looked straight at Lady Une, her eyes filled with fiery determination. "Rest assured that I will do my best to settle this matter in the Peace Summit tomorrow. And thanks for coming here to talk things with me first before you act on the situation, Lady Une. It really means a lot to me. I will tell you about the Summit when I come back."

Lady Une smiled and stood up. She looked at the young girl in front of her and saw the expression in her eyes. So pure, she said to herself. Just like the other 5. "No, thank you, Relena. You really are remarkable. I know that the ESUN has unintentionally placed the burden of maintaining peace in your young shoulders but I promise you that the Preventers and I will help you keep this peace we all worked hard to achieve." With that Lady Une said goodbye and left the room.

Unbeknownst to them, someone was listening to their conversation.

"That's right. Do what you do best, Vice Foreign Minister," the man said, smirking. "Everything is going according to plan."



A MONTH LATER (Preventer Headquarters)

Lady Une sat down as she looked at each of the faces in the room. Directly in front of her is Noin sitting beside Zechs. Quatre is sitting with Duo in the couch placed at the right side of the wall. Opposite the couch, Trowa and Wufei are standing against the wall while Sally is sitting at her right. It's hard to imagine that one can usher all the major players in the Eve Wars and the Marimeia Incident in just one room. And it's even harder to imagine that just 3 years ago, they are all enemies but now they're all such good friends. Lady Une cant help feeling happy to see them again. She hasn't seen these people for a while now, aside from Sally and Wufei who both work in the Preventers main headquarters in the Sanc Kingdom. But her happiness is dampened by the circumstance of their meeting.

"I know that all of you has some kind of idea why I called you here. But you don't know the whole story so I will start at the beginning for all of you to better understand." Lady Une stopped to look at each of them again before continuing. "Last month we discovered some plans for a second Operation Meteor by the colonies. But this is absurd considering we've been living in peace for a considerable time now. That's why I decided to visit Relena first before doing any specific actions so that I could get an insider's point of view or a professional opinion so to speak. Though we reached a conclusion that there is a growing political tension among the Congregation officials that is causing a friction in the Earth-Colonies relations, we still believe that this is just a misunderstanding that can be solved through peaceful means. We also believe that the whole ESUN has learned its lesson from the past and will think twice first before engaging into another war. But Relena and I also had a suspicion that maybe someone has a hand in all of this, that somehow, someone or something is pushing us to another war. Thus Relena called for the Peace Summit in L3 to settle everything and to prevent chaos."

Lady Une stopped for a moment to take a deep breath. "But you all know what happened to the Peace Summit last month. Someone tried to assassinate Relena in front of the whole Congregation and due to this it was rescheduled 4 days after to let Relena recover from her bruises. Then again another disaster strikes. The whole auditorium where the Peace Summit is going to be held was bombed. Not a single member of the Congregation that are inside survived. Luckily, Relena and the President were late. They had an earlier meeting and decided to come to the conference together and had some engine trouble. So, another set of Cabinet Members was appointed, another set of Senators elected. With all that happened, the whole ESUN is in the verge of panic. The new Congregation delegates are hesitant to go to another Peace Summit but they knew that to maintain peace they have to. The problem is the Colony delegates don't trust the Earth delegates and vice versa. But both parties trust one person and one person only so they agreed to come together and talk due to that person."

"Miss Relena," Quatre said.

"So Relena managed to convince them to attend another forum. When and where will this next Summit be held?" asked Noin.

"Next week, on Relena's 18th birthday here in the Sanc Kingdom."

"What? I thought Relena's throwing a party," Duo asked incredulously.

"Well, Relena decided to have the Peace Summit the whole day then the party will be at night. That way it becomes a social occasion, lessening any political tension."

"So you called us here to make sure that the Peace Summit and Relena's birthday party take place without any hassles?" Duo asked again.

Lady Une looked at Sally. Sally took over the briefing. "Yes, but that's not all. Since the Peace Summit, the assassination attempts on Relena's life increased twofolds. We tried our best to protect her but even with 24/7 surveillance she's still in danger. We almost lost her last week. And sadly, we're losing Preventer agents everyday because of it." There is a collective silence in the room.

"Relena is the last link between the Earth and the Colonies. Severing the link means we're headed back to where we started," Trowa said, "another war."

"So you need us to help you protect Relena?" Zechs asked.

Sally answered, "You got two of the reasons. There is another one." She looked first at Lady Une who nodded at her. "What Im about to tell you is Preventers classified information. I know you've heard about the recent attacks on 3 of the Preventer headquarters here on Earth. We let the media believe that these are all terrorist attacks, that there are a few casualties but nothing more and that everything is under control. This is not entirely true. We don't want the whole ESUN to worry or to panic, even the Congregation. What they don't know is that those 3 Preventer bases are really 3 of the 4 secret military bases of the Preventers where all of the Preventer Mobile Suits, weapons and artillery are hidden."

"Secret Military Base? I thought that everything military-oriented were destroyed after the Marimeia incident for the betterment of the ideal of total pacifism. What about that Total Disarmament Treaty? We even self-detonated our own Gundams because of that pacifism bullshit for Christ's sake!" Duo cried out.

"The Preventers were given complete autonomy and independence with regards to maintaining peace. We thought it will be best if we are ready to fend off those who will take advantage of a weaponless society. Only the Preventers are authorized to have weapons in the whole ESUN," Lady Une informed them.

"Even Relena thought that keeping some weapons are appropriate and logical. We don't want to be caught unaware again. But these bases are only there in case of emergency. Nobody else knew about their existence, only the Preventers -- just to make sure that nobody panics or tries to take over the bases and use them against us," Sally added.

"But even if we have kept these weapons, its collective firepower is only enough to settle small skirmishes. And not powerful enough to take over the ESUN or fend off a very powerful army," Wufei said.

"That's why we put out the fire while it's still small," Sally said. "We cant afford to let it get big. We wont be able to stop it."

"If the existence of these bases are classified information, that means there is a spy or a traitor here in the Preventers," Zechs said.

"Or someone hacked into the Preventers database," said Noin.

"That we will find out. Back to the attacks. All cameras in the bases were destroyed so we didn't have any idea who or what cause the attack. Fortunately, we recovered an audio recording from the last base."

Everyone listened carefully as Wufei played the recording. They could hear metal banging, soldiers scurrying and shouting --- normal sounds one can hear during an attack. Then they heard an explosion and a soldier's exclamation that made everyone's blood turn to ice. "A GUNDAM!" followed by an ear-deafening explosion then static.

"A Gundam! It couldn't be!" Noin exclaimed.

"Maybe it's a mistake. Nobody has the technology to create another Gundam anymore," Quatre said.

"You're right. But if it is true, then we are in deep trouble," Trowa said quietly.

"This is just great! The fact that the ESUN only has a few weapons, 3/4 of which are destroyed and that we don't have our Gundams anymore make us sitting ducks. And we also have to face a Gundam," Duo said bitterly.

"Don't be a cry baby, Maxwell! We're not even sure that it is really a Gundam," Wufei told him.

"Im not a cry baby and my name is DUO, not Maxwell," Duo retorted.

"You're name is DUO MAXWELL, isn't it?" Duo is going to answer back but was quickly cut off by Sally.

"Drop it, you two. We should not be arguing. This is really serious." Wufei knows better than to argue when Sally uses that tone. Duo followed suit.

"Wufei is right. We're still not sure if it's really a Gundam. So we have to know first before we worry or make our move. And we must know if there's a connection between the Gundam, these attacks, the bombings, Relena's assassination attempts and the gradual political upheaval in the Congregation," Lady Une said.

"So the third reason is for us to discover what's really happening so we could avoid another war," Quatre summed up.

"I really wish Heero is with us. We could really use his help," Noin said.

"But he's not here and we couldn't wait for him to show up," Zechs told her.

"And we have to move fast. There's no telling what will happen next. We might be too late already to stop this thing," Wufei said.

"And knowing Heero, he's probably doing something about this situation as we speak," Trowa said.

"Yeah. He might just appear and say 'I solved everything. You could all go home now'," Duo added.

"I completely agree," Sally chuckled.

"So what's the plan Lady Une?" Quatre asked.

"First of all, we have to make sure if the attacks on the bases were made by a Gundam. That's why we will set a trap. The 4th Preventer Military base is located on the Jungles of Costa Rica. Trowa, Wufei and Zechs can go there and wait for the attack. Zechs, I'll give you the security card of the Tallgeese III so you could go and use it. Trowa and Wufei will use Serpent suits. Try to capture the attacker in any way. But if it becomes a potential threat to any of you, you can dispose of it as you wish. If it's really a Gundam, then goodluck. But you have a fairly good chance because you three are exceptional pilots and that your suits combined can be a match to a Gundam. You'll be leaving at sunset. The attacks were always made at night and in a weekly basis so the attack on the 4th base will happen any day this week. Sally and Noin will stay here to help me weed out our spy or traitor or whoever is hacking to the Preventer Database. Quatre will return to the colonies to try and discern what's really happening. Duo will help in protecting Relena and be her personal bodyguard. Any questions?" None. "By the way, when did any of you last had any contact with Heero?"

"Well, I suppose Im the last one who talked to him. I called him last December and never heard from him ever since. It's like he just vanished," Duo answered.

"Very typical of Yuy," Wufei said.

"If any of you got in touch with him, tell him that Im looking for him and that we really need his help," Lady Une instructed them.

"Don't worry. He'll show himself if need be," Trowa assured her.

"Ok, now that's everything is settled, let's go visit Relena," Noin told them.

"If there are really no more questions, Meeting Adjourned. Remember nothing leaves this room. You cant talk about this anywhere but here and to anyone even with Relena or Heero. Heero must see me first," Lady Une said. Everyone nodded their ascent then slowly walked toward the door.

"Arent you coming with us, Lady Une?" Quatre asked.

"I want to but I still have other things to do. Just say hi to Relena for me."

"Sure do. Bye."



That afternoon 1:00 pm (Relena's office, Peacraft Palace)

Relena didn't look up when the door opened. She just said, "Hey Athena, arent you too early to be back? Well, I don't mind coz Im starving. Hope you didn't forget to get me a sandwich."

"Sorry, no sandwich. What if we all just go out for lunch? My treat," a familiar male voice said to her.

Relena's head snapped up, "Milliardo! Noin! Everybody! It's good to see you!" Relena stood up and hugged her brother first, then Noin, then everybody. Well not everybody. Trowa just shook her hand and said, "Hi, Relena" while Wufei just nodded his greeting.

"Well, what brings all of you to this part of Earth?"

"Hey, Jousan did you forget? It's your birthday next week so we thought that we drop by early," Duo said, grinning at her.

"We're happy that we can make it on your 18th birthday, Relena," Noin said to her.

"That's great! You can all stay here at the Palace."

"Actually, me, Noin and Duo are planning to stay here, if you don't mind. But the others have to leave. Quatre and Trowa have to go back to the colonies to finish something. Oh, I almost forgot. I cant stay tonight because Lady Une asked me to do something for her. But I promise I'll be back before your birthday," Zechs said.

"We all be back. I'll be here by the end of the week, Miss Relena," Quatre said.

"What about the girls? When will they be here?"

"Hilde told me that she'll be arriving here on Sunday, the day before your birthday, with Catherine and Dorothy. So you could have a day of uninterrupted girl talk she said," Duo told her.

"Oh my, I cant wait 'til Sunday! I know that it's going to be fun. Im so glad that you're all here."

"Hey Relena, where's Athena? I didn't see her when we came in," Sally asked.

"Yeah, I was kind of wondering too. I always see her with you," Quatre said.

"Hmm, Quatre my man why are you looking for this girl? It sounds like you got the hots for her. I don't think Dorothy will like that. She might just stab you again hehe," Duo said, grinning mischievously.

Wufei rolled his eyes. Quatre blushed. "Im just asking that's all."

"Athena? Who's that?" Noin asked.

"Relena's assistant. She's very pretty and very efficient. Nice too. Even Wufei admits that she is good," Sally answered.

"That onna is strong. I can feel it," Wufei muttered. Trowa looked at him.

"She's still on her lunch break. She doesn't come back until 1:30," Relena informed them.

"It's very thoughtful of the Congregation to hire you an assistant. You're too young to be burdened like this," Zechs said to his sister.

"Yeah. Athena is really a heaven-sent. Ive been really dependent on her for this past year. And not only that she saved me from being run over the first time we met."

Zechs raised an eyebrow. Noin asked her, "How did that happen? Where did you meet?"

Relena smiled sheepishly, "Well, I kinda sneaked out once then I was crossing the road when Athena shoved me away from an incoming pick-up. Afterwards, she recognized me and said that she's on her way here to be my new assistant."

Zechs glared at Relena, but managed to soften his tone (though there's still a certain edge to it). "I don't like you sneaking out again, Relena. It's a good thing that there's always someone who manages to save you on time."

Relena looked down and just nodded. Zechs didn't know how much those words hit home. She always has to be protected. And she knew that this past month many Preventer agents died protecting her.

Duo noticed Relena's silence and decided to lighten up the mood.

"Hey, hey. Let's go now and eat. My stomach is already grumbling," Duo said.

"Your stomach is always grumbling, Maxwell!" Wufei said.

"You're the one who's always grumbling, Wuffie!"

"Kisama! My name is not Wuffie, it's Wufei!"

"Ok Wu-man."

"INJUSTICE! IM GOING TO CUT OFF THAT DAMN BRAID OF YOURS, MAXWELL, IF YOU DON'T STOP CALLING ME NAMES!"

Wufei holding his katana is posed to cut off Duo's braid when Zechs stopped him.

"Ok that's enough. Im hungry too so we better get going and eat. My treat."

"It's about time! You still owe us some wedding food, banquet or whatever," Duo said.

Zechs answered, "If you don't stop bugging me, I wont pay for your food."

Duo shut up immediately that everybody cant help but laugh. They started walking to the door when it suddenly burst open.

"Relena-sama, here's your sand-" Athena stopped in midsentence when she saw that Relena is not alone as she expected.

"Hey, Athena I would like you to meet my brother Milliardo, my sister-in-law Noin, my friends Duo Maxwell and Trowa Barton. You already know Sally Po, Wufei Chang and Quatre Raberba Winner. Everyone, this is my trusty assistant and friend, Athena Mazaki."

"Hi! Nice to meet you all," Athena said, smiling.

"Hey, Athena. Long time no see," Sally said to her.

"Hi, Athena" Quatre said.

"Sooo you're Athena. Now I know why Quatre is asking about you," Duo said.

Quatre blushed. "DuoÖ"

Zechs, Wufei and Trowa just nodded at her.

Athena approached Relena and handed her the bag she's holding. "Here's your sandwich, Relena-sama."

"Thanks. I'll eat it later. We're going out for lunch. Want to come with us?"

"Yeah, please join us," Quatre said.

Duo is going to ay something again but Trowa pulled his braid. "OUCH! Hey, what did you do that for?" Trowa let go but didn't answer. He just looked back at Athena.

"Thanks but no thanks. I just ate lunch."

"You can just come with us and talk," Sally suggested.

"I really love too but I cant. I still have work to do. Maybe next time. Go, have fun, all of you."

"Your call. Just leave something for me to do when I get back ok," Relena said to her before waving goodbye.

Everyone said goodbye then went out of the door. Athena picked up some folders then followed them out and resumed working on her desk.

Relena, Noin, Zechs, Duo, Quatre and Sally were walking ahead while Wufei and Trowa trailed behind. They were headed outside to Quatre's van to go to the city and eat lunch.

"I know what you mean when you said earlier that that girl is strong," Trowa said quietly to Wufei. Wufei looked at him for a moment then they continued on their way.


****************************************


"Well, well, what do we have here. A reunion?" the man said, chuckling to himself. "Finally, the traitors have shown themselves. But where is the other one? Come out, come out wherever you are little mouse. Or else I'll lure you out the hard way. And you wouldnt like it a bit."



That's it for Chapter 2. The Total Disarmamanet Treaty is the Treaty the Colonies and Earth made that involved the total destruction of all military-related paraphelnalia -- weapons, artillery, mobile suits, etc. This is my first fic so Im desperate for reviews---send them in!