Endless HAVOC: God vs. Soldier
by Neesah

Disclaimer: I think I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here. Gundam Wing aint mine. Maybe in Chapter 10 it will be hehe.

In a battle, are the soldiers on either side the ones really fighting each other? Or is it that all of them are fighting against one enemy--- their own cruel fate? This is my first fanfic so please bear with me. Endless HAVOC is set right after Endless Waltz and I tried to pattern it after the Gundam tradition. There is no lemon or lime here, also this is non yaoi, all pairings are straight and the 'usual' ones. For comments, suggestions or reviews you can email me at raizenheero@aol.com .





Chapter 9: God vs. Soldier --- To see the face of one's true enemy



PRESIDENTIAL PALACE 6am

"As of this moment, the whole Presidential Palace is secured, along with the President and the rest of the Earth officials," Lady Une informed Heero and Quatre's image in the vidphone. "The remaining 100 Taurus suits and 18 shuttles are all in position, ready and in stand-by if ever any enemy MS get pass through the third line of defense, just as planned."

"Hn. What about the assault team?" Heero inquired.

"Zechs is currently with them at the Preventer Headquarters, giving last minute instructions. They'll be launching at exactly 6:10 and will be arriving at the rendezvous point within 50 minutes."

"How did you manage to easily gather the Earth officials there within a short notice and without them overreacting?" Quatre asked, curious.

Lady Une reached a hand to her throbbing head and heaved a big sigh. "Who said that they didn't overreact or that it was easy? After you five left, Noin, Zechs and I set out to call the President and explain the situation to him. After 2 hours of convincing him that we're just doing this as a precaution and that it's not really the colonies who are planning to attack, we asked him to call an emergency Earth delegates' meeting at 5:30 am, instructing him not to reveal any details. Just imagine the whining and the demands those pompous, stuck-up aristocrats did when they arrived here. Another round of explanations were made. It's a blessing that Zechs is getting better in his diplomatic skills but he has to leave the rest of explaining to us because he has to prepare the troops for the attack. Noin and I wouldn't have survived handling them and we still have other important duties to think about aside from babysitting them. It's a good thing Hilde, Catherine and Dorothy were here to help." She cracked a smile as she remembered how the 3 girls handled those arrogant fools. "By the way, did you contact the Colony delegates and told them what's happening?"

"We decided not to. Telling the colonies about the attack might rattle them and make them think that we're accusing them. Instead of repulsing Damon, they just might end up supporting him. It's for the best that we continue with the plan, waiting for Damon to make his first move," Heero answered.

Lady Une realized the logic behind the decision. "What about the Maganacs? Did you contact them, Quatre?"

"Yes. Rashid told me that they'll be at the rendezvous point by seven."

"How are the Gundams?"

Quatre smiled. "They're fully operational. It's like being reunited with a long, lost friend."

"We'll be launching off after some last minute check-ups. We'll rendezvous with the others by then," Heero told her.

"Rodger. Sally is running the Preventer Headquarters for me and she'll be monitoring the assault. Contact her if there are any problems. Goodluck." With that, Heero and Quatre's image disappeared.

Lady Une sat back and momentarily indulged herself with her thoughts. She can't help feeling guilty whenever she thinks about those five boys fighting again. They're so young, so pure and yet they have this enormous responsibility. It's unfair for them to have this such big of a burden to bear. But they have no choice, there's nobody else. It's ironic to think that an entire nation is dependent on 6 teenagers --- 5 soldiers and 1 princess. The boys fight for peace while the princess maintains it. Once again, the fate of the ESUN lies on those kids. And that's what is so reassuring about it. Those pure souls can always do the impossible. With that last thought, she stood up and went to join the girls and the officials in the President's office.



AT THE HANGAR IN THE PREVENTER HQÖ

"Remember, the plan is to wait for Damon's first move before attacking. But if by 8 o'clock he still hasn't made any moves, we'll go on with the assault on his base. We'll surround the base, the Gundams and the Tallgeese being the 1st line of defense, the Maganacs, the second and you, the third. The MS that will manage to get pass us will be stopped by the Maganacs and those that will slip pass them you must destroy. Do not let any enemy MS get pass you. Not even one should go near the Earth at all costs. Those that you'll fail to destroy will set their sights in attacking Earth and you all know that there are only a hundred Tauruses and a couple of armed shuttles left to fend them off. You are all a crucial factor in this battle. Understood?' Zechs asked his troops.

"Sir, yes sir!" is the chorus of answers.

"Well then, get in your suits. We'll be launching. Goodluck."

The pilots jumped to their suits and got ready. Zechs climbed the Tallgeese III's cockpit and activated it. He checked his troops and when he saw that they're all ready, he pushed the control handle. The Tallgeese blasted to the sky, followed by an army of Serpents, Tauruses and 2 armed shuttles.



DAMON'S BASE 7:50am

After inspecting his troops and making sure that the base is secure with all of his men in position, Damon proceeded to the control room. Two soldiers who are in-charge of operating the control panels snapped into attention when he entered the room. "At ease, boys," he told them as he sat, facing the big screen. He smirked. This is it, the fulfillment of my dream! I've been waiting for this moment for so long. All obstacles must be eliminated. I wouldn't let anything stop me. He pressed some buttons, afterwhich an image appeared on the screem.

"Goodmorning, Mr. President," Damon greeted.

The President, startled, said, "Who are you?"

"My, my. You do me a great dishonor, Mr. President. After all that I've done for you, after all the advices I've given you, you just ask who I am? I'm terribly offended."

The President's eyes widen as the words sink in. "You mean, you're DL Walker?"

"The one and only. Though I would prefer you call me by my real name, Damon Luther."

"What do you want, Mr. Luther?"

"Well, what I want is simple enough. I want you to step down and hand over the ESUN to its rightful rulers --- the colonies. And as the Chief Representative of the Colonies, I want you to surrender the reigns of power to me."

"Do you think I'm that stupid to just hand over the ESUN to some psycho? We don't deal with terrorists, Mr. Luther. You don't have any right to make such demands."

"And you have the right to lead the ESUN?" Damon countered. "You're making me laugh. As far as I can tell, even from the beginning you and the rest of the Congregation officials depended on my advices on how to do your jobs properly. See? I'm more capable of ruling than all of you put together."

The President reddened with Damon's remark. And so did the rest of the Earth officials who are listening to the conversation. Lady Une signaled to the President when he just continue to stare at Damon and say nothing. He cleared his throat and said forcefully, "No. Never. I will never let you rule over the ESUN. This discussion is over." He's going to terminate the call when Damon stopped him.

"I wouldn't be so hasty if I were you. And I'm not a terrorist, I'm asking you nicely, aint I? But if you keep on being stubborn, I'll be forced to change your mind the hard way."

"What do you mean?" the President asked, dreading his answer.

"If you wouldn't give it to me voluntarily, I'm going to go get it myself. And your Preventers can do nothing to stop me."

The President paled. But he answered Damon in a confident and resolute voice, "Threaten me all you want, Damon. But I won't give in. We won't give in. You used me and the others long enough, we won't let you use as again. I will never resign my position. I will never hand the ESUN over to you. You want it, you get it. We'll fight for it 'til the end."

"Very well." He turned to one of the soldiers, Captain Brooks. "Release the Mobile Dolls and order the Tauruses to launch."

"Yes, sir," Capt. Brooks answered. He activated the AI Program for the Virgo II Mobile Dolls then proceeded to relay the orders to the rest of the troops. "To all men, Phase III of Operation Domino is a go. I repeat, a go."

The 4 gates of the colony opened and a vast armada of Virgo Mobile Dolls and Taurus Suits emerged.

Capt. Brooks turned to Damon. "All troops were deployed, sir."

"Good."

A buzz was heard and the second soldier, Capt. Medina reported, "Sir! A horde of enemy Mobile Suits is headed towards us!"

"Huh? It's probably the Preventer army trying to stop me." Damon frowned. "But how did they find our location that quick? It doesn't matter. My armada will defeat them. Did you confirm what type of Mobile Suits they are?"

"Yes, sir. Serpents, Tauruses, the Maganacs, the Tallgeese III andÖ" Capt. Medina looked at Damon and continued, "the 5 Gundams."

"What?! Gundams!" Damon faced the President again and he didn't miss the smug look on the President's face. Damon smirked. "So that's why you wouldn't surrender. You have the Gundams on your side. Do you really think that the Gundams can stop me? I've put a lot of thought in this, do you think that I'll just let those treacherous brats ruin my plans? You've underestimated me. But I'm still going to give you one last chance to surrender. Think it over. I'll contact you after a few minutes. Maybe after my armada destroys the entire Preventer army together with the Gundams. So long." Damon then abruptly disconnected the call.



OUTSIDEÖ

The five Gundams and the Tallgeese III were flying towards Damon's base, as if in formation with Wing Zero leading them. The Maganacs are behind them, followed by the Preventer army. They saw the Virgos and the Tauruses emerged from the colony gates.

"Here they come," Trowa said.

"It's party time!" Duo yelled in delight. "Prepare to face Shinigami and die!"

"Nataku, it's time again for you to help me show them the real meaning of justice."

"Be careful, Master Quatre," Rashid said.

"I will. Be careful too. Goodluck, guys," Quatre told them.

"Spread out. To your positions!" Zechs ordered. The troops flanked out, surrounding the base. Shots were heard as the two sides clashed. The battle has began.



Wing Zero flew straight to the colony, slashing through the Mobile Dolls in his path with ease and proficiency, leaving wreckage and explosions at his wake. Though his mind is not really into his fighting. His mind is concentrated on the mission at hand, that he's destroying suit after suit methodically, almost absentmindedly, knowing that he has to get pass these obstacles first in order to accomplish his mission. I need to get in and find Relena before blowing up the whole base. He slashed the last Virgo on his path. He's headed towards one of the gates when he suddenly changed direction. A black Mobile Suit came flying towards his former position and missed him by an inch.

The HAVOC stretched two dragon fangs and fired the 4 flamethrowers all at once at Wing Zero. "I always wanted to fight you, Heero Yuy," Athena said to her commlink.

Heero dodged and fired his vulcans, the HAVOC deflecting the blasts with its planetary defensors. "Where's Relena?"

Athena fired her own vulcans. "Want to get her? You must go through me first."

"Rodger that," Heero answered as he fired his machine cannons. The blasts where merely deflected. But he continued firing and dodging. He knew that the only way to defeat the HAVOC is to overload its planetary defensors by sufficient bombardment. Heero smirked. It's a good thing that I installed as much homing missiles and micromissiles in Wing Zero as there are in Heavyarms. It will surely increase my firepower. He also has to tire out Athena. And when she does get tired, he's plan will then take effect.



Altron's twin beam trident managed to slash through the 3 Virgos' planetary defensors, destroying them in one clean swipe. "Shimatta! I feel like I'm fighting another Gundam pilot and not these damned Mobile Dolls."

"Yeah. These Virgos have their own planetary defensors. And they fight good. Maybe even as good as us," Trowa said while firing his double gatling gun.

Deathscythe Hell flew towards a horde of Virgos, destroying all of them with his twin beam scythe. "Well, they should be. They're programmed with our battle data remember?"

Tallgeese III fired his machine cannon, eliminating all enemy MS in his path. "Did Yuy get inside the base yet?"

Quatre momentarily looked at his screen. "Negative. He's still engaged with the HAVOC," he told them as he fired Sandrock's beam machine gun.

Wufei used Altron's vulcans to destroy the MS headed straight at him. "How in hell does he think he's going to defeat the HAVOC?"

"Don't worry. I think Heero has a plan," Quatre answered.



ON EARTH...

Lady Une contacted Sally. "Are the two shuttles in position?" she asked.

"Yes. They're just waiting for your signal," Sally answered.

"Very well. Tell them to proceed with the broadcast."



AFTER 30 MINUTES...

The HAVOC lunged at Wing Zero. Heero continued dodging away, firing the last of his micromissiles.

"Why do you keep on firing? You know that those blasts have no effect on me. I'll just deflect them. Why waste your ammo?"

Heero made a diagnostics check on Wing Zero as he dodged a dragon fang. He used up all of his ammunitions and the only remaining weapons for him to use are the beam saber and the twin buster rifle. He chose the later. He aimed and fired at the HAVOC. The HAVOC just stood there, unharmed. He fired again.

"I know you're not that stupid. Stop playing games and start fighting me, Heero Yuy. Let's settle who's the best between us once and for all."

Hmm. I think I bombarded her enough. Wing Zero took out his beam saber and charged at her. HAVOC blocked him with her own beam saber. The duel began.



Deathscythe Hell staggered. He was hit from behind. "Why you little punk," Duo said as he slashed the offending Taurus with his twin beam scythe. "That's what you get with messing with the God of Death." While firing his vulcans, he asked, "How are you holding up, Trowa?"

Heavyarms fired his homing missiles. "I'll be running out of ammo very soon," he answered. 2 Virgos hit him in either side. Trowa recovered and blasted both of them with his gattling cannon. "It's a good thing I can use my army knife when that happens."

"I don't know how long we can keep this up," Wufei told them as he avoided a blast from two Virgos in front of him. "Kisama!" he muttered as he was hit from behind by another Virgo. He lunged his dragonfangs at them, burning them with his flamethrowers then firing his vulcans.

"I know. There are just too many of them. And we're getting tired," Quatre added, firing his missiles. "What's the status of the Preventer army, Zechs?" Quatre queried as he slash every Taurus in his path by Sandrock's heat shotels.

"Preventer Forces are down by half and counting," Zechs answered as the Tallgeese slash another Virgo with its beam saber. "That means me must redouble our efforts," he informed them while blasting his enemies with his vulcans.

"That's fine with me," Duo said as he continued sending Taurus pilots to their maker. "No enemy MS has gotten passed the third line of defense right?"

"Right," Zechs answered.

"That's enough to make us redouble our efforts," Trowa said.


********************************************************************************************************


"How long has the battle been going on?" Damon asked.

"Thirty minutes, sir."

"Status?"

"Two-thirds of the whole armada has been destroyed."

"Hmm. They're tougher than I thought. So Relena is right afterall. Protecting requires greater strength than conquering. But it wouldn't make any difference. The Gundams might be powerful, but they are still piloted by humans who are held back by human weaknesses. They'll get tired soon enough. Besides, I have another ace up my sleeve. Whichever way one looks at it, at the end, I'll still be the victor."

He proceeded to contact the President again. When the President's image appeared on the screen, Damon can see the self-satisfied look on his face.

"I thought you're going to contact me after you've destroyed the Gundams, Damon. As far as I know, the Gundams and their pilots are still alive and kicking your troops' ass. Also, there haven't been any of your MS that got passed them and attacked us here," the President sneered. "It's just a matter of time 'til they wipe out your vast armada."

Damon narrowed his eyes. "Are you challenging me?" he asked, his tone dangerous. Then he chuckled. "But you're right. There isn't even one of my MS that got near the Earth. But do you actually think that I haven't thought of that possibility before I made the attack? Again, you've underestimated me," he said mysteriously.

The President was unfazed. As smart as Damon is, there couldn't be anything else that he could come up with, could he? "You're bluffing."

Damon can't help laughing like a madman when he heard the President's words. "No I'm not. I'm sorry to tell you that I have a solution to that little challenge of yours. I don't need any MS nor do I even have to get near you to succeed. Have you ever heard of a secret weapon, Mr. President? I'll use mine right now." He turned to the two soldiers in the room. "Prepare the main array. Lock on target: The Presidential Palace in Brussels."

What Damon didn't know is that his transmission and the battle outside his base are being broadcasted throughout the whole ESUN.


********************************************************************************************


Wing Zero and the HAVOC continued fighting, beam sabers drawn. Athena is getting exhausted. She had never faced anyone as strong and as skillful as Heero before. But she's glad with the challenge. And she wouldn't think of backing out. There's just so much at stake here.

"Athena, this battle is pointless. Let's stop this."

"It might be pointless to you, but not to me."

"Do you honestly believe that you're helping the colonies this way?"

"Yes."

"Tell me one good thing that will come out of this war."

"The colonies will finally rule the ESUN."

"What will that accomplish?"

"Peace."

"Peace is not decided by the ruler or the soldiers. Nor can it be ascertained just by changing rulers or governments. What is needed are the pure hearts that will hope for peace. People who will fight for peace and maintain it."

Athena snorted. "You're starting to sound like Relena."

"Open your eyes. Know whose side you should be with."

"Don't presume to lecture me. I won't listen to someone who betrayed the colonies."

"The Barton Foundation is the one we rebelled against, not the colonies. I acted on what I believe is the right thing to do. Have you ever acted on your emotions before?"

Athena stopped dead on her tracks. Why did that simple question stirred something inside her? She shook her head and continued her attack. "Don't you ever compare yourself to me. I'm the designated leader of all the Gundam pilots. I was trained to follow orders and not to do things according to my whim. I'll never be like you." She lunged at Heero but Wing Zero promptly disabled her, making her beam saber be thrown away.

"What kind of a leader are you, that you couldn't see that you're just a puppet? That you're following the wrong orders from the wrong man? You couldn't even think for your own self. You're right. You'll never be like me. Because I'll always act on what I feel is right, even if ordered otherwise."

Athena continued to stand there, fuming. This is the first time that she lost a fight. This is also the first time she got this furious. "You can say whatever you want but the fact still remains. I am your leader. And I am better than you. My mission is to make the colonies the rulers of the ESUN. I will not fail in my mission." Fatigue, exhaustion and the burden of controlling HAVOC are taking its toll on her. Aside from the bruises and the pain shooting throughout her whole body that Heero managed to inflict on her. There's only one way to win, she thought. It's time to level the playing field. "Activate ZERO system. Code: H-A-V-O-C."

The whole cockpit of the HAVOC hummed as the Zero system activated. Athena stiffened as a vast stream of data flowed into her brain, her eyes illuminating with a yellowish-green glow.

Heero watched as the HAVOC stayed put in its position. Now he knows why Professor Arbus called Athena the Goddess of War. He had never faced a girl or anybody as skilled as her in battle. Even Zechs paled in comparison. He continued watching the black Gundam in front of him. Someone else would have thought that the HAVOC has given up or has malfunctioned. But Heero knew what's happening. He saw the HAVOC'c eyes glowed green. And he could sense the change. Hn. She has activated the Zero system. It's about time.


********************************************************************************************


"See, it's very wrong of you to underestimate me. But before you make your final decision, I would like to tell you that my main array is 10x as powerful as Libra's cannon. One shot and it will destroy not only the Presidential Palace but also everything within a 600 mile radius. And there's nothing that the Gundams can do to protect you."

The President glared at him. Damon laughed. "Your stubbornness will lead to massive destruction and massacre. You could just hand over the Presidency to me so that the colonies will rule over the whole ESUN and we will finally attain peace. So, what's your final decision?"

The President sighed. He looked one last time at Lady Une, his eyes pleading for her to understand that there's no other choice he could make. "Damon, my decision is ----"

An incoming transmission broke through. The image of the Head of the Colony delegates appeared, behind him are the rest of the Colony officials of the Congregation.

"We, the Colony officials wanted everyone to know that the colonies still consider themselves as part of the ESUN. In this regard, we dispel any claims that we want to seize control of the whole ESUN from the present President. We stand in full support of the present administration and we condemn Damon's actions in proclaiming to everyone that this meaningless war was our doing or was made in our behalf."

Damon turned red with anger. "HOW DARE YOU! TRAITORS!" he yelled. His outburst traveled to every transmission channel. "You dare side with those who had oppressed you while I, a colonist, worked so hard to avenge you, to seize control for you!"

"You're not doing this for the colonies, Damon. Admit it. You're doing this for yourself. You have mistaken revenge for purpose," the Colony Head stated. "You're drowning in your own ideals. It's time to let everything go. We don't want any more wars. What you're doing will only lead us back to that miserable existence we have managed to left behind."

"Fools! You don't know what's good for you." Damon jumped from his seat and went to the control panel of the main array. "If you wouldn't support me, then I'll destroy you."


********************************************************************************************


Athena gritted her teeth as she try to control the onslaught of data in her brain. Got to take control. Must not lose myself. I still have a fight to finish. Gathering her bearings, she took her other beam saber and charged at Heero full force that Wing Zero was thrown back. They resumed their fight, with Athena getting the upper hand. Her reflexes and reaction speed have increased tenfolds. But after a few minutes, it's clear to Heero that she's slipping and on the verge of a killing spree. She destroyed even the Virgos and the Tauruses that got in their way. The Zero system is finally getting to her, working its 'dark magic' on her.

"I will not stop until I destroy you. You're the enemy. I destroy all my enemies," Athena said to him.

"Are you sure that I'm your enemy? Who are your enemies, Athena?"

"Those who fight me and those who endanger my life are my enemies. Those who threaten the things that I hold dear are my enemies."

"Ask HAVOC who your enemies are. Ask HAVOC if I'm your enemy."

"He's not your enemy, Athena. Look inside yourself and remember who you are," a familiar sounding voice in her commlink said.

Athena stopped her rampage and listened to the voice. The eerie glow in her eyes receded a bit. "That voice---" she breathed. "Who are you?"

"Remember those people whom you hold dear, Athena. And fight for them," the voice answered.

Her head pounded. Something from the back of her mind is coming to the surface. It's like she could hear the HAVOC whispering to her, REMEMBER. Images flashed to her mind. She clasped her head, the HAVOC mimicking her gesture. She saw a little girl with auburn hair being dragged in a room where a man with black hair was conversing with an older man with glasses. She knew that old man. Grandpa! She then saw the same girl, doing some kind of military exercises. She saw the girl again, somewhat older, her face emotionless and her gray-green eyes flashing coldly. Is that me? She then saw herself inside the HAVOC, activating the self-destruct mechanism. She planned to destroy the whole resource satellite where she, her Grandpa and Damon were. Why? Why would I kill myself and my own Grandfather? She then remembered. Operation Meteor. I planned to stop Operation Meteor. She remembered everything. That voice, it's Grandpa's!

Heero studied the HAVOC. He knew that the Zero system is now releasing everything buried in her mind. He expected as much, knowing that the only way to get Athena to their side is to make her remember. And the Zero system is the only thing that could do that. It's time for the final push. "See the face of your true enemy, Athena," he told her.

Athena pondered Heero's words. "See the face of my true enemyÖ" Does he mean that I'm fighting the wrong enemy all this time? She then managed to piece together what happened after her self-detonation to the events prior to it. She saw the image of the 5 pilots in her mind, then of Relena, then of her Grandpa. "Now I know who my true enemy is," she said as her mind focused on Damon's image. "HAVOC made it clear to me."

A sudden movement caught their attention. Both of them saw the colony's main array. And by the looks of it, Damon is aiming at the colonies.

"NO!" Athena screamed as she rushed towards the main array. Wing Zero flew beside her.

"Finish your mission, Heero. I'll finish mine."

"Ryoukai." Wing Zero then flew towards the colony.


********************************************************************************************


"After all that I've done for you, you dare turn against me! All of you will pay for your ingratitude! All of you must pay for your betrayal!" He pushed the button and the cannon fired. He waited for the glare to be gone, wanting to see the debris and ruins of the colonies that betrayed him. His eyes widen in surprise when he saw that the colonies were not destroyed. And standing between the cannon and the colonies is the HAVOC.


********************************************************************************************


Wing Zero destroyed all Taurus Suits guarding the colony. Heero then landed Wing Zero and searched for Relena on foot. He dispatched all the soldiers he came into contact quickly, knowing that he has to accomplish his mission as fast as he can.

He entered the building and searched every locked room. When he opened the last room in that level, he came face to face with someone familiar.

"Professor Arbus."

"You must be Heero Yuy. And you're looking for Relena Peacecraft, am I right?"

"Hn."

Professor Arbus pressed some buttons on his computer. After a while he said, "This way." They used an elevator to go up the building. When they got out, Professor Arbus led him to a series of corridors. They stopped in front of the last door. Heero overrided the code and the door opened.

"Heero!" Relena said, running towards him. Heero held her protectively as they went out of the room.

"You better get her out of here, fast," Professor Arbus told him while running down the corridor.

"You two go and get in a shuttle, I'll follow you. I need to go to the control room first," Heero said.

Professor Arbus shook his head. "No. Both of you have to leave immediately. I know what you're planning. I'll be the one to do it."

"But---" Relena started to say.

"No but's young lady. I have some score to settle with Damon. Do you want to begrudge me of that? This is for the best." He looked straight at Heero's eyes, asking silently that he allow him to do this. "I promise that I'll finish your mission for you. I won't fail." Then he silently muttered, "We won't fail again."

Heero held Professor Arbus' gaze. He understood what Professor Arbus meant by his last statement. "Very well." They reached the elevator. "Goodluck," Heero said to him as he handed him a gun.


********************************************************************************************


"What do you think you're doing, Athena?" Damon asked, surprised and really pissed off, as Athena's image appeared on the screen. She better has a good explanation for this.

"What do you think I'm doing, Damon?" Athena responded with sarcasm. "Protecting the colonies, what else. This is what I was trained for, isn't it?"

Damon fumed. "So you regained your memory. But do you think that you can stop me? I can clearly see that you're already exhausted. Did Mr. Perfect Soldier give you a hard time? And I know that what little strength you still had you used up when you deflected my main array's blast. In your weakened state you cannot deflect another shot. How can you stop me then, huh? You might be the Goddess of War in the battlefield and the HAVOC might be invincible in battle but there's always a limit to what you can do."

Athena smirked though her whole body is aching. If it's not for the Zero system, she wouldn't be standing upright. Controlling the Zero system and the HAVOC prevented her from succumbing to the darkness that's calling her. She inched closer to the nozzle of the main array. "You're right, as usual. I can't possibly deflect another shot. But did you forget some minor detail about this whole thing, Damon? You need at least three minutes to charge the main array for another shot. And what I'm planning to do will only take 30 seconds tops."

Damon paled. He then laughed. "You mean you're trying to do that stupid thing again? You Gundam pilots are all the same. Aside from all of you being traitors, you always resort to self-detonation. You can't possibly self-destruct. I ordered your Grandfather to remove it when he rebuilt the HAVOC. And you wouldn't dare kill your Grandfather and Relena Peacecraft, would you?" he asked smugly.

"You're wrong. She can," a voice from behind Damon said. He whirled around and saw Professor Arbus holding a gun, standing by the door.

Professor Arbus turned to the two soldiers. "Run, save yourselves." Capt. Brooks and Capt. Medina immediately went out of the room. Professor Arbus locked the door and aimed the gun towards Damon. "I didn't remove the self-destruct mechanism from the HAVOC. On the contrary, I made sure that this time, it would work perfectly and that its blast can obliterate an entire colony. Also, I'm sorry to inform you that Relena Peacecraft is not here anymore."

"Huh? How in the world---"

"It's time to end this Damon," Professor Arbus quietly said. He turned to face Athena. "Do what you have to do, Athena. I'm so sorry."

Athena's eyes softened. "Goodbye, Grandpa. I'm sorry too." Inside the cockpit she commanded, "Start Self-Destruct Sequence. Set: 30 seconds." She then saw Wing Zero flying away from the colony. "I'm sorry for everything, Relena-sama. Friends?" she said to her commlink.

In the Wing Zero, Relena heard her. "Of course, Athena. Forever."

"That's nice to hear. Heero, take good care of her for me, will you? And tell the other pilots that I'm sorry."

"Acknowledged," Heero answered. Relena's eyes widened. "Athena, what are you saying?"

"There are so many things in my life that I regret doing. But I wont regret this. And I dont regret meeting you. Goodbye." A deafening sound was heard as the whole colony behind them exploded into oblivion.

"Athena! NO!" Relena cried.


I'm not really good in portraying fight scenes. But hey, don't stop reading. This isn't the end yet. One more chapter to go...