"Iris"

A Gundam Wing song fic by Miyuki (Mina-chan), in fact my first EVER GW fic.

Pairing: Heero/Relena. I've never been a fan of this pairing, and will never be (my main non-yaoi thing is Noin/Zechs), but whatever. I just don't think they're really work... but be it once!*shrugs*

Lyrics from the Goo Goo Dolls song.

 

***********
 

Despair made its way.

His heart was torn.

By war, by everything he has seen.

By what he's doing now to preserve the galaxy.

Even the memories aren't enough.

Friend, fights, and her. But she's no longer there, and won't be.

 

//And I'd give up forever to touch you
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be

And I don't want to go home right now//

 

She's long, long ago, vanished from his side.

She's alive, he knows, but now they can't be together.

By his fault. His stupid fault.

Heero Yuy feel bitterness, and bits his lips while he blows up another mobile doll.

 

//And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life

'Cause sooner or later it's over

I just don't want to miss you tonight//

 

In the Earth, someone thinks of him. Her eyes are filled with tears, no matter what Noin, Hilde, Quatre or her Oniisama say to console her. What matter is that he's not by her and said that he didn't want to be back. And she made him act like that. Relena feels that, no matter if she has everything... without him, she has nothing.

 

//And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am//

 

* I never wanted to think so... *

Relena lifts her eyes and glanced at the teddy bear sitting in the hotel bed's pillow.

* That he'd leave again... by my fault...*

 

//And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
Or the moment of truth in your lies//

 

*FLASHBACK*

 

Heero Yuy wasn't a man of peace, and he said so every time they met since the war with OZ was over.  Relena thought that he'd change such opinion after the Mariemeia incidents when he refused to kill them, and she asked him to stay over for a while. After all, he didn't really have a place to go.
Everything seemed to work fairly, with the other Gundam pilots dropping once in a while by the Sank kingdom (Hilde and Duo were in their scrapyard business, Trowa and his sister Catherine in the circus...).

But now, enemies are coming to take over the control of the colonies and the Earth. Again. And Heero was the very first one to enroll, along with Wufei and Sally.

 

//When everything feels like the movies
And you bleed just to know you're alive//

 

"Heero, don't!!", she begged.  "You've passed through so much, now you wanna add more?".

"I've GOT to go," he only said, brushing a stray lock from his face."Quatre is working in the communications, Trowa and Catherine help him, Duo and Hilde are in the army with the cadets, and Wufei is getting ready to help the Preventers with Lady Une and Sally.  I can't stay here alone".

"You're not alone", Relena mused softly. She put a hand over her heart before continuing, not seeing the strange gleam in his eyes. "You're with me, Heero. You can count on me.  And... and please, don't go, don't leave me. I'm sure you can help from here".

Heero's blood boiled in his veins. She was so stubborn always, she couldn't understand him.

"There's nothing I can really do asides from fighting!", he replied a little violently.

Relena crossed her hands in front of her chest, and glanced away.

"No, not fighting again. Not like that.".

"Relena... don't insist...", he murmured, gritting his teeth.

She snapped violently as she saw her ready to turn his back. Wasn't he listening?

"Can't you see, Heero? You shouldn't do that! You'll get killed, and you'll kill!"

"Shut up...".

And she lost it.

"Like you did with the enemies! Like you did with the little girl! Like you nearly did with my Oniisama...".

"SHUT UP!!".

PA...n!

It was the first time Heero yelled at her.  And the first time he slapped her. Relena fell sit on a sofa, and glanced up, her hand covering her cheek.

Heero stared at his hand.  The hand that just hit a girl...

Relena stared at him.  Tears were rolling down her cheeks.

Heero says nothing, and he picks up his jacket and runs away.

Away...

And she didn't see the silent tear rolling down his left cheek.

*END OF FLASHBACK*
 

//And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand//

 

The perfect soldier.

But he had a heart, no matter what.

He has just killed a bunch of enemies in his mobile suit.

In other times he would have perversely enjoyed the sight of blood.

But now, it brings him only sour memories.

 

//When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am//

The Princess of Peace.

She was making despaired diplomatic missions to find a way for peace to come.

However, in her hotel room, there's only one thing that she does.

She holds the teddy bear in her arms.

And she cries...

 

//And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand//

"It's my fault", Heero muses, not knowing that Relena tells her teddybear the same thing. Their hearts are linked even throught the distance.

 

//When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am//