Disclaimer: How I wish I own Gundam Wing. That way I don't need to write this stupid disclaimer. [sigh]

This is a sequel to my first fic Endless HAVOC: God vs. Soldier. There are some things here that you might get confused about so I suggest you read Endless HAVOC and its epilogue The way you love me first coz being lazy and all, I won't repeat some facts that I already made known in its predecessors. Also, this fic will focus more on the pilots' children than the original pilots themselves. For comments, suggestions, flames or reviews, you can email me at raizenheero@aol.com


Gundam Legacy
by Neesah



Chapter 1: And so it begins... again




AC 218

Duo slowly opened his eyes, his hand reaching out to the back of his head. "That hurts," he muttered.

"Glad you could finally join us in the land of the living, Maxwell," a familiar voice greeted him.

Duo shot up in a sitting position and traced the source of the voice. He saw Wufei leaning by the wall while Quatre, Trowa and Zechs sat on their respective beds.

"So, here's where you all disappeared to," Duo commented, surveying their 'prison'. The room was very big, with 6 beds and a small cubicle. Must be the bathroom. How thoughtful, Duo smirked. It looked more like a big hospital room than a prison cell, with its white walls (maybe 10-15 ft high), a television screen mounted on the wall and the sanitized smell. But the similarity stopped there. The door was made of metal and there were no windows, only two airvents placed far up the wall. Well, he knew from the time he saw his 4 friends that escaping was out of the question since if there were means to escape, Wufei, Zechs, Quatre and Trowa wouldn't had stayed there all this time. His careful inspection of the room just confirmed his suspicions.

"What do they want from us? Where are our families?" Duo asked. The other four didn't get the chance to answer him when suddenly the door to their room opened. A well-built man in his mid-forties, with dirty blond hair and green eyes entered the room. Two soldiers stood on either side of the opened door, watching them.

"I see that you're finally awake," the older man addressed Duo.

Duo eyed him carefully. "Who are you? Why did you bring us here? Where are my wife and kids?"

"Don't worry about your family. They're safe, I assure you. But I couldn't promise that they'll stay safe if you don't cooperate. As for me, I'm General Raidon Langley. It's an honor to meet you, Duo Maxwell."

Duo crossed his arms on his chest. "And what do you mean by my cooperation, hmm?"

"Tell me where Deathscythe Hell is and I wouldn't harm your family."

Duo cocked an eyebrow. "The Gundam Deathscythe? How in hell would I know where it is? I own a salvage yard and we deal with scrap metal all the time but it's really impossible for me to hide a big MS like that there."

Raidon laughed. "Don't play innocent with me. I know who you are, Pilot 02. I was an OZ soldier during the war. And I was also a trusted aide-de-camp of Damon Luther, though he knew me as Capt. Medina. Unlike the rest of the ESUN, I know the identities of the Gundam pilots."

There's no use hiding the truth then, Duo decided. "I think you're forgetting something, whatsyourname, ah, Raidon. Even if I reveal Deathscythe's location to you, you wouldn't be able to get in without the security card. This is just the kind of situation we've prepared for," Duo said smugly.

Raidon waas unfazed. Actually he was amused. "Don't worry about the minor details, 02. Just concentrate on doing your part so you can keep your family alive. Let's just say that I already had a talk with Lady Une before talking to you pilots."

Duo's eyes widened in disbelief. "Lady Une wouldn't betray us! She'll die first before helping thugs like you get your crabby hands on the Gundams!"

"True, she'll rather die than give me the security cards but she wouldn't let her beloved adopted daughter to die, would she?" Raidon chuckled evilly. "Just as I know you wouldn't let your wife and kids die."

Duo glared at him. "Don't worry. As I said before, no harm will come to them as long as you cooperate."

"I want to see if they're really safe. I just don't trust you, I wonder why."

Raidon ignored his tone of voice. "As you wish." He then took out a remote control thing from his pocket and pushed a button. All of a sudden, they heard a humming noise as the wall by the door went up to reveal glass panels. Looking through the glass panels, they noticed the same thing happening in the opposite room. When the wall was completely up, Duo saw Hilde, his 12-yr old son Dylan and 8-yr old daughter Haley in the opposite room. They were with Zechs' wife Noin and 13-yr old son Zeke, Trowas's wife Midii, his sister Catherine, his brother-in-law Ardy Faller and 14-yr old niece Carrie, Quatre's wife Dorothy and 10-yr old daughter Dierdre, Wufei's wife Sally and 12-yr old daughter Mitzi, Lady Une, a 5-month pregnant Marimeia and her husband Troy.

"Hilde!" Duo shouted. Zechs, Wufei, Quatre and Trowa pressed their hands on the glass and gazed at their respective families with longing.

Hilde and the others saw the guys in the opposite room and started pounding on the glass wall, shouting. But no sound was heard.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you that both rooms were soundproofed so there's no use shouting. They won't hear you," Raidon told Duo, somewhat enjoying the whole spectacle. "Now that you've seen your family, maybe you would be kind enough to tell me what I want. Your friends can assure you that I'll keep my end of the bargain if you keep yours."

Duo looked at the 4 pilots. They looked away in shame. "So you already have the rest of them, huh. But why? Why do you need the Gundams?"

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. I thought you already guessed that part. I want to rule the whole ESUN. And the only things that could ruin my plan are the Gundams and their pilots. Let's just say that this early in the game, I'm already eliminating all possible obstacles. Then I realized that the only things that could stop me are also the only things that could bring me victory. Ironic isn't it? Securing the Gundams will assure my victory. I'll be invincible," Raidon stated. "Now that I answered your question, you answer mine. Where's Deathscythe?"

Duo glanced at the 6th bed then smirked. "Fine. I'll give you the location of my Gundam but don't celebrate yet. You're one Gundam short and there's still one Gundam pilot on the loose. And I assure you, he's not going to be too happy about your little plan."

A scowl formed on Raidon's face. "Heero Yuy is one difficult man to capture. And he's guarding his wife very well. But it doesn't matter. I'm going to save her for last, we are still in need of her services. As for Wing Zero, well, even if we get it, it'll be of no use to us. Nobody can pilot it. My son is the only one here who could control the Zero system and he already has his own Gundam," he said proudly. "Heero Yuy might be the Perfect Soldier and Wing Zero a very formidable suit but against Deathscythe Hell, Tallgeese III, Sandrock, Altron, Heavyarms and Stygma, I don't think he stands a chance."



************************************************



Presidential Palace, Brussels (3 pm)

A storm is brewing, Relena could feel it in her bones. It all started when Lady Une, Marimeia and her husband went to a sudden vacation a month ago. Followed by the Changs, then the Bartons and Fallers, the Winners and finally the Peacecrafts. Not that it was unusual to take vacations, it was just that they hadn't heard from them ever since. She was pretty sure that they didn't just go on an ordinary vacation, they were kidnapped. And if her hunch was correct, the Maxwells and her family will be the next targets. Though she didn't know what this was all about or why people would want to disrupt the peace they all worked hard to achieve, she vowed that she would do anything in her power to stop them.

It had been 20 years since the last war with Damon during Operation Domino and peace had reigned ever since. Throughout this span of time, the whole ESUN had undergone demilitarization, making the Preventers the only military organization left. They all started to live in an era where wars existed only in history books and stories, where their children learned how to bike or drive cars and not pilot Mobile Suits, where everybody felt secure about not being fired at or blown up. Relena heaved a big sigh as she leaned back against her chair. And here she thought that after all those meaningless battles of the past, the whole human race had finally learned their lesson, that their desire to fight was finally taken away from them. I guess I was wrong. As long as humans live, they'll continue to fight. It's an irrepressible part of human nature. Treize and the others had been right all along, she said to herself.

Her reverie was cut short when the door to her office opened. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw her husband framed by the doorway. She smiled, her earlier dismal thoughts dispelled by the mere sight of him. At 38, he still looked the same as the day she had married him. "Heero."

Heero went beside her and gave her a quick kiss. Without further ado, he said, "Relena, they got the Maxwells too."

She was not surprised, though she was getting more worried about their friends. Whoever was behind this operation really knew how to get what he wanted without raising suspicions from anyone. Heero had just started having suspicions when Milliardo and his family disappeared a week ago. "Since when?"

"The day before yesterday. But I only confirmed it today. Same thing as the others, they went on a sudden vacation." Heero then held her hands. "You know what this means, Relena."

Relena nodded. "We're next."

"That's why we have to go. I already made arrangements ---"

Relena silenced him by putting a finger on his lips. "I can't go, Heero. I can't just run away and hide when I have a responsibility to the people. Even if my life is in danger. "

Heero looked directly into her eyes. "You don't understand. Not only is your life in danger, but also the whole ESUN. They got the Gundams, Relena. Even the Tallgeese. I just checked this morning. They're going to attack anytime soon. Being the President of the ESUN, you're going to be their first target. And we all know that the Preventers doesn't have the firepower to fend off a large army, much less 5 powerful Mobile Suits."

"That's an even bigger reason for me to stay. Being the President, it's not right to leave my people during such a crisis. I have to stick by their side no matter what. They wouldn't appreciate a President who would run away in the first sign of danger. It's like a captain who abandons his ship when it's sinking. It's a very cowardly thing to do."

"Once they attack, there's no doubt they'll succeed. But if we escape now, even if they manage to take over the ESUN, the whole populace wouldn't abandon all hope and surrender to the insurgent group as long as they know that you're not captured. We could then find ample time to regroup and regain control," Heero told her.

Relena reached out to touch his cheek. She knew that what Heero just said was the most logical thing to do and that he was sincere in his plan but she also knew that he had some personal reasons why he wanted them to escape. He wanted to personally make sure of Relena's safety and he couldn't do that if she was captured. And she was certain that Heero wouldn't let himself be captured, especially now that he was the only one left who could save them all. "I have to be here at all costs, Heero, come hell or highwater. And I know that you know that I wouldn't have it any other way."

Heero was about to reply when something caught his eye. He went to the window and saw six flying dots fast approaching the Palace. After a few minutes, Heero confirmed that the six dots were Deathscythe Hell, Heavyarms, Sandrock, Altron, Tallgeese III and a Gundam that looked just like Epyon except for the cross attached to its back. "They're here," he stated, taking a small transmitter from his pocket and pushing a red button. 50 Taurus Suits and 50 Serpent Suits emerged to defend the Palace from the invasion. He turned his head and saw Relena by his side, looking at the fighting Mobile Suits with a sad expression. He put his hands on her shoulders, his eyes locking into hers. "I rounded up those suits before I came here just in case they attacked. I also told Lady Une's OIC to put the Preventers on red-alert. They'll send backup soon. Even if they are no match for the Gundams, they'll continue to fight. There's no other option but to fight. You understand that, don't you, Relena? They'll be able to buy us time to escape. Come, it's time to go."

Relena gave him a sad smile. "You go, Heero. I'm staying."

Heero saw the determined look in her eyes. "If you're staying, I'm going to stay with you."

"No. You have to go. You're the only one left. You're the only one capable of correcting whatever wrong that will be committed today."

She was right, Heero knew it. But he was torn between his duty to her as her husband and his duty to peace. He knew what he had to do, though it still pains him to leave her all alone and helpless. He wouldn't forgive himself if something ever happens to her.

Seeing his thoughts clearly in his eyes, Relena put her hands on top of his. "Go. I'll be fine. Do what you have to do, Heero. As you said, there's no other option but to fight." She saw him nod, his eyes silently asking her a question. Relena bit her lip. They had worked so hard in order to avoid this day to come. If she had any choice, she wouldn't agree. But time was running out and she knew that Heero couldn't do it alone. "I understand. I give you my consent. And I think that the others would give you their permission as well. Just take good care of them, ok," Relena said softly.

"I promise. And I promise that I'll be back for you. Wait for me, Relena," Heero told her.

"I will. I believe in you," she replied. Heero pulled her close and kissed her one last time before running out of the room.

Relena watched him go. Be careful, Heero, She then heard a beep of an incoming transmission. She went to her desk and answered the call.

"Good afternoon, President Relena Peacecraft-Yuy. My name is Raidon Langley and as you can guess by now, I'm the one who gave the orders to the Gundams to attack. Resistance is futile. The Preventers doesn't stand a chance against the Gundams, nobody in the whole ESUN stands a chance against my army. So to avoid wasting more lives, just surrender. Hand over the reigns of power to me and we'll cease to attack. Being a Peacecraft, one who is dedicated to the idea of Total Pacifism, I know that this condition suits you well."

Relena coolly regarded him. "You must be referring to the time I surrendered to the Romefeller Foundation. I would never regret that decision for it was the only path I could take by that time. I dissolved the Sanc Kingdom then because its existence caused a war and whatever the reason, Total Pacifism must not be the cause of any fighting. But this situation is different. I am not the cause of this war, nor is Total Pacifism. Your own selfish desire to dominate is the root of this meaningless battle. That's why I wouldn't be bullied into surrendering and handing over the ESUN to you. Even if it's a losing battle, we'll continue to fight. The alternative is unthinkable."

Raidon cocked an eyebrow. "I didn't expect to hear those words from you, Relena Peacecraft. You're willing to sacrifice more lives for a futile cause?"

Sacrifice more lives for a futile cause Relena's heart constricted at the thought but her face remained neutral. "I'm a Peacecraft but I'm also a Yuy. And being a Yuy means that I'll continue to follow the path I chose no matter how hard it is. And I'm fairly certain that those soldiers outside battling the Gundams feel the same way. They're fighting to protect peace, there's nothing futile about that. They might lose their lives, we might lose our lives but it wouldn't be in vain. So if you want to have the reigns of power over the ESUN, come and take it from me. I wouldn't just hand it over to you."

Raidon smirked. "If you say so. See you at the other side of my victory, Miss would-be-former President." And with that, the call was terminated.

Relena sat down and put her hand on her forehead. Forgive me, everyone. This is the only decision I could make. Her head jerked up when she heard another beep. She clicked a button and the image of Lady Une's OIC, Lt. Col. Stephens appeared on the screen.

"President Yuy, I'm sending the last batch of soldiers we have to fight the enemy. I'm going with them too."

Relena looked at him sadly. "We're losing, aren't we? Maybe it's for the best that you won't send the remaining troops here. Just go and save yourselves. You could look for my husband and plan a counterattack or something."

Lt. Col. Stephens smiled at her. "I already sent the remaining 15 Sanc Kingdom guards to hiding. They'll be able to help Heero if ever he strikes back. Don't worry about us. And don't be sad. We're truly grateful that you didn't give in." Relena gave him a surprised look. "How did I know? Well, it was an open transmission. The whole ESUN saw it. You stood your ground, so it's just right that we do the same. I know that there's no chance of us winning but we're still going to fight. And we wouldn't regret making that decision either."

"Please forgive me if I put all of you in this position. It's a pleasure knowing you. Please tell this to the other soldiers as well."

"We're the ones who should be asking for forgiveness. We aren't able to protect you or the ESUN. We are the last line of defense and with our deaths, there's no stopping them from taking control. And with it, the Preventer Organization will cease to exist," he said pensively. "It is our pleasure to know and work for you, President Yuy. We wish you all the best," Lt. Col Stephens saluted. His image then disappeared.

Relena closed her eyes and silently prayed for the souls of the soldiers who died and who'll be dying. When she opened her eyes, she went back to the window and watched as one by one, the Preventer army was destroyed. The battle went on for 15 more minutes and after seeing the last Preventer MS be destroyed, Relena went to her chair and sat down. Five minutes passed by before she saw the door to her office open. Raidon Langley entered, soldiers trailing behind him.

"What did I tell you? It's futile to resist. You have the souls of those soldiers on you, Miss Relena. You'll carry the burden of guilt over their deaths for the rest of your life."

Relena didn't respond. She just continued on staring at him. Raidon laughed. "My, my, I can't believe it. You're still resisting, aren't you? That's very noble. But very stupid." He studied her face. "Oh, I see. You're just waiting for me to make my victory official. Well then." He went to her side and proceeded to make a live transmission.

"Good afternoon to all. I am General Raidon Langley, the leader of the revolutionary group, Dais Rogue. As you have guessed by now, I have succeeded in overthrowing the present government. As a matter of fact, I have in my custody our beloved President. And being the victor, I now proclaim that Relena Peacecraft Yuy is no longer the President of the Earth Sphere Unified Nation. I am." Hearing those words, Relena stood up. Two soldiers went to her side and pointed their guns at her. "As the new President, I'm going to make some changes. But that can wait. You'll be hearing from me again soon. That's all. Thank you," he said, terminating the transmission.

Raidon then turned his attention to Relena. "Take her away," he ordered.

"Yes sir," the two soldiers replied. Relena started to walk towards the door, the two soldiers walking on either side of her. Raidon sat on the chair and sighed contentedly. "I finally achieved my dream. And I'll be damned if I ever let anyone take it from me. Even the great Heero Yuy wouldn't get lucky."