Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing. Any other characters are mine. Enjoy. The song is not mine. It is called "The Fool." It is sung by Le Ann Womack.

 

Fight of a Lifetime
Part 4
Written by Rae

 

Releena came home from her meeting and changed out of her fancy clothes. She put on a pair of jeans and a big lilac colored sweater. Then she sat down at her desk and started going through the mounds of paper work she had to do. Deciding it was to quiet she turned on the radio. It was playing the song she and Heero had danced to before he left. Releena bit her tongue to keep from crying. She checked every radio station but they were all playing love songs. She turned the radio off and finished her work in silence. Then she flopped down on her bed and cried.

Lara had an idea. She would ask Duo about Releena. He was Heero's best friend he'd know for sure who she was. She picked up the phone and dialed his number.

"Hello? Duo Maxwell speaking."

"Hey, Duo it's Lara."

"Oh hi Lara!"

"I have a question."

"Fire away. You know I'll do anything for by best bud's future wife."

"Who's Releena."

"H-h-how'd you find out 'bout Leena?"

"Oh, I found a picture of her when I was cleaning out Heero's closet."

"Umm, well Releena Peacecraft is the queen of the World."

"Duo, I mean how does Heero know her personally."

"They went to school together."

Duo said this because he knew it wasn't a lie and that way he didn't have to tell anything to Lara that would give Heero reason to pull out his gun.

"Oh, thanks Duo."

Lara was now certain there had been something between Heero and "Princess Peacecraft" she could tell Duo was trying to hide something. Lara grinned. Tomorrow Heero was leaving to go to the L2 colony on a business trip for work. He'd be gone for two weeks. While he was gone, she'd go on a little "vacation" to England, home of the Queen of the World. The next day after Heero left Lara packed her bags, boarded the plane, and was off. It wasn't hard to spy on Releena. She walked around the town and followed Releena around. Within the first week, she'd found out the truth. Lara had bumped into a lady named Dorothy Catolonia. She and Dorothy started talking over a cup of coffee one-day and Lara found out that Dorothy knew Releena. She simply asked about Releena's love life.

Dorothy had grinned with pleasure. Apparently, Releena had been in love with Heero. It turned out that the feelings were mutual. Heero just wouldn't admit his feelings. One day he and Releena had been alone in Releena's mansion. The two danced and then almost kissed. Heero left before their lips had ever touched. Lara didn't want to know how Miss Catolonia had figured this out so she thanked her for the help and went back to the hotel.

The info made sense and explained why Heero longed for Releena in his dreams. He still loved the princess. He just didn't want to for some reason, hence his relationship with Lara. The question was why? Releena never acted like she was heartbroken. In fact, if she had been heartbroken any one who looked at her would guess she was over it. She went on with life as usual and Lara even saw her go to a party or two. Releena hung out with guys and seemed to be eager to get a boyfriend. Lara went back to Japan the next day. She left a note on the door for Heero. This is what it said:

 

Dear Heero,
Honey, I love you. I love you with all my heart and you know I'd do anything for you. But I also know you don't love me. I've always wondered why it seemed like something was missing. Now I know. No one told me. I figured it out on my own. I know who you love. Don't come looking for me unless you can truly love me. Good luck.
With Love,
Lara

 

Then she gathered all of her belongings and flew back to England. Lara was confident that as long as Releena didn't love Heero anymore he'd come to get her. Heero would come for Lara when he found that Releena didn't love him. Now she had to take care of something concerning Miss Peacecraft. She found Releena sitting all alone at a bar table in a restaurant. There was no one else in the whole restaurant except the owner. She walked over to Releena and got her attention. Then she started to sing.

 

 

You don't know me,
but I know who you are.
Mind if I sit down?

 

Lara sat down next to Releena. Releena couldn't figure out what was going on here but she was curious so she listened.

 

Do I look familiar?
If I don't well, I should.
I'm sure you've seen me around.

 

Now that she mentioned it, Releena was certain she'd seen this girl around town before.

 

I'm sure you've probably heard my name
Though we've not been introduced
I'm the fool, in love with the fool, who's still in love with you

 

Releena was more confused than ever. Then it dawned on her. Was this Lara, Heero's future wife? Azalea had told Releena about her. Releena focused all her attention on the song. Did she just say that Heero still loved her? Releena focused all her attention on the song.

 

If you've got a minute
I'll buy you a drink
I've got something to say
It might sound crazy but the other night in his sleep
I heard him call out your name
This ain't the first time
He's done it before
And it's hard to face the truth
I'm the fool, in love with the fool, who's still in love with you

 

 

Releena bit her tongue to keep from crying so hard that it bled but she didn't feel the pain. Was this true? What exactly was she trying to tell Releena?

Lara had been afraid that this would happen. All she wanted was to tell Releena that Heero still loved her. She didn't want to find out that Releena still loved Heero. Now how could there be any hope of Heero coming after her? Lara sighed, at least Heero would be happy. After all, isn't there a saying that says 'better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?'

 

I know love is a fragile thing
And I'm trying hard to make it last
But it ain't easy holding on to my dreams
When he's holding on to the past

 

Releena didn't notice a tear escape and roll down her cheek. Could this be real? Did Heero really still love her? Or was this a cruel joke to torture her? No she could see the sorrow in the girls eyes. This was real.

"Oh no!" Releena thought. "It is all my fault that Lara's dream can't come true."
All of a sudden, she felt guilty. Releena looked at the clock. Oh my, it was past midnight. She really had to get going. Releena stood up.

 

One last thing before you go
I'm not here to put you down.
You don't love him, is that a fact?
Girl I've seen you around.
But you hold his heart in the palm of your hand
And it's breaking mine in two

I'm the fool in love with the fool, who's still in love with you.
Yeah I'm the fool in love with the fool, who's still in love with you.

 

"You're Lara aren't you?" Releena asked.

Lara just nodded her head and left. Releena went home and for the first time since Heero left she got a good night's sleep. Lara boarded the plane to go stay with her cousin, Lindsey, in the Bahamas. Heero would get home and find the note in a three days.

"Good Bye Heero." Lara whispered into the night.

 

 

Author's Note: Well what do you think? Of course Dorothy had to be the tattletale. I can't stand Dorothy. The song is only slightly altered. It's really suppose to say "last night in his sleep.." but that doesn't fit my story. Oh and it's suppose to go "you don't love him that's a fact..." I had to come and take care of Releena and Lara. Please email me with any questions, comments, or suggestions. raerenee@gundambliss.zzn.com
Visit http://raerenee.tripod.com/gundamloveraeandrenee/
Thank You!