Disclaimer: I do not own these characters Bandai, sunrise, and associated companies do. I hold no claim to their descriptions or to their personalities, but I do believe I gave them different feelings than the show portrayed. Thus I do own the plot and little knick knacks in between.

 

Love Gained

Written by: Pixie Wings

Email: pixie_wings_@hotmail.com

Webpage: http://pixiewings.topcities.com/

Song Title: ëPlease Remember Meí

Artist: Tim McGraw

Rated: General Audiences

Warnings: Angstish

Pairings: Mainly 1+R

 

 

"O cruel needless misunderstanding: O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast...but it was alright, everything was alright, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself."

~George Orwell from 1984

Heero watched as Relena gave her final speech to the eagerly awaiting crowd. Today was the day that the universe would lose their symbol of peace. Relena Peacecraft was dissolving the title of Prime Minister and Vice Minister. She was dissolving her political place in the world.

Today felt like she was placing closure to the past - and in a way, she was.

He had been watching the incredible woman work her way through grit and grime in the political system, first obtaining a true peace that he was sure would last forever. If not forever, perhaps for centuries. Then he witnessed her piece together the Mars terraforming project. He watched her reacquaint families that had distanced themselves from each other over petty political views, brothers were reunited with their brothers, cousins came back to their families... even the fathers and sons were brought back together.

He watched all this in the shadows. Not because he was afraid someone would try and kill her, they knew better. She was what gave them peace, and they loved her too much for that. He did it to save himself and her the pain that they caused when they were together.

Yet, he couldnít draw himself away from her. He had to see her, there was no denying that single fact. He loved her. She loved him, he knew that much. Even though the love they shared was strong, they tore each other down and made the latter weak. The world didnít need that... Relena didnít need that.

All our tears have reached the sea.
Part of you will live in me,
Way down deep inside my heart

 

Today he would say his silent goodbye to her. In all the years he watched her, she had never known. That was the way he intended to keep it. No one was to ever know. Although at times he could have sworn she knew he was there. One of her occasional glances upwards toward a balcony, or a quick side glance. Maybe she did know, not consciously, but unconsciously. Like soul mates.

Heero shook his head.

No not today, these thoughts are not meant for today. Relena deserved to be happy, especially since he denied himself that happiness he knew he could never get. Besides, his Relena had a steady male acquaintance that even he approved of. His once opponent who was always a friend, Quatre. He would make his Relena happy and protect her from all the physical and emotional sorrows in life.

Sure he could protect Relena from the physical sorrows that fate sends in her direction, that he was sure of. It was the emotional sorrows he was unsure of. How could he possibly protect her from something he couldnít understand. No... it was best to leave her in the capable hands of Quatre. A strong man who knew emotions better than anyone else.

He was her match, yet he felt as though it wasnít right. He felt as if he should be the one waiting for her to finish her speech. To be the one to give her the hug at the end, to embrace her. Although he felt his heart tearing into two at the thought, he refused to confront her. She needed to move on, and he knew with his whole being that Quatre was the man to comfort her. The one to be there for her... for the rest of her life.

The days keep coming without fail.
New wind is gonna find your sail
That's where your journey starts.

 

He watched again, his thoughts disrupted, as Relena read her final sentaces of her speech with emotion trembling in her voice. Her beautiful soft blue eyes were tear-filled, her expression one of remembrance. Rosemary. Heero thought. Rosemary is for remembrance. He once again was drawn out of his thoughts by her soothing voice, saying her final goodbye.

ìI will never forget those who have helped me become me... all of you. I will remember you, no matter what hardships fate throws in my direction. For you were what kept me going through the hardest years of my life, and now I have done all I can for you. I will have come and gone in your lives, and you in mine. I hope that this is something we never forget. Please take care... and remember the peace we have obtained.î Relena said, tears coursing down her face on this sorrowful event.

Heero sighed. Today Relena was ending one life and starting a new life. She would learn to live anew, even with past memories of war... and of him. She would eventually forget him, but he would never forget her. The person that believed in him, the one that placed her life in his hands with all the trust in the world. Something he hadnít felt until she had challenged him knowing he could never shoot her.

She was his redemption, she would be his happiness. Hopefully she would remember him and one day tell his story to her children. Perhaps then his legacy would come true, that he would truly become a hero.

You'll find better love,
Strong as it ever was,
Deep as the river runs,
Warm as the morning sun,
But please, remember me.

 

As she walked off stage Heero walked out towards the unwelcoming world. He didnít feel as though he belonged in the very world he helped to create peace for. It wasnít his to live in. It was his Relenaís, and if anyone tried to disrupt her peace... his peace for her, they would surely pay for it with their lives.

Heero walked without purpose now, lost within the darkness of his soul. His lonely soul. One that would never shine the way his soul-mates did. The one with the soft blue eyes, the forgiving one.

He eventually found himself at the beach, the beach where he first saw her. The very beach where he ran away from her, where he continually ran away from her. This time though, it was different. It wasnít as though he did it out of fear, he did it for her. So she could be happy and live in the present, not the past.

He looked up toward the sky, the stars twinkling down upon him. Glittering their regret, fates regret that he couldnít be happy. That didnít matter in the end though, a part of him would be happy now no matter what. Now that she was happy he could leave, he wouldnít have to watch over her anymore. She would remember her past but know that the past is the past and the future lay before her. Quatre would have taught her that if he knew any better.

Like the waves down by the shore
We're gonna keep on coming back for more.
Cause we don't ever wanna stop

Relena Peacecraft had gotten married to Quatre Winner two months after stepping out of the public view. She was now completely and truly out of Heeroís reach. Heero nearly being left out of her life completely.

Given some more time she had children, many children. Through out the years he had memorized their names, their features, their characters from afar. He watched over his Relena and her family as though they were his own.

He knew him being around was no good, but he couldnít allow himself to leave her. After a few months he came back and watched over her again. No one could go long without their soul mates.

No one ever saw him, no one even knew he existed anymore. As far as the world knew, he had completely vanished - returning to the grave as the real Heero Yuy.

So being completely forgotten while Relenaís life was no longer in danger, he witnessed the triumphs of her everyday life. When it was once conquering the political speeches it was now having a successful talk with her children on different issues of respect. He witnessed her emotional reunion with a brother once lost, but then found. He saw her tenderly rocking her children to sleep out on the veranda.

This was the happiness he sacrificed for her.

Out in this brave new world you'll see
Over the valleys and the peaks.
And I can see you on the top.

Given the chance again, he knew this was the only way. She was truly happy, she had the family she had been denied since childhood. He now had a family to watch and protect, even if they werenít really his. She was happy, he was happy. What she felt he felt, and that was they way it should be in his mind.

 

She felt the love and strength from Quatre, she had the protection and the silent faith from himself, and both he and Quatre were rewarded every time they heard her laughter, they saw her smile, they heard her singing sweet little songs to her children. They felt her happiness.

At times though, Heero had his doubts. Did Relena remember him? Did she remember what he sacrificed for her happiness? Did she even know? Or was what he silently feared true? Did she forget him?

You'll find better love,
Strong as it ever was,
Deep as the river runs,
Warm as the morning sun,

But please, remember me .

 

Then one night he saw her tears, the pain swelled in his chest. Those glittering crystals fell one by one, shattering on the cold cement under her bare feet. Why was she crying?

Then as if on cue, the faintest motion of her lips, the softest breath a person ever took, and the sound of his name was spoken. Her tear streaked face looked to fates diamonds above.

Heero moved closer from his position to hear what she meant for him to hear. She was speaking to him through the stars. Almost as if that were truly their line to each other.

ìHeero where are you? I havenít seen you in so long. I wish you your happiness where ever you are. I wish I could have said goodbye... I suppose this will do though. I know I will never see you again, so goodbye.î she whispered her finality to the stars above before retreating back into the house.

She does think of me after all this time. She does... she does remember me! Heero thought, a faint smile gracing his lips. His heart reaching out to hers, emotions boiling over. What wouldnít he give to hold her in his arms, to thank her for remembering him - the way he remembered her. Yes he still loved her and she still loved him, but now a fleeting type of love. One from their younger days. Their first loves... ones that never die.

Remember me when you're out walking.
When snow falls high outside your door.
Late at night when you're not sleeping,
And moonlight falls across your floor...
And I can't hurt you anymore.

 

He continued his silent vigil of his soul mate until she celebrated her youngest childís wedding. He waited until the children grew and until she no longer needed his silent, unknown support.

Then he left. Not forever though you see, soul mates cannot be separated forever. So years later when her many grandchildren came, he paid his silent visit. He deserved to see the grandchildren too, they were in a way his.

On discovery of their upcoming trip to the beach, he arranged a small surprise for his once long ago love and her family.

He watched her hair billowing out behind her as she walked the beach, grand children in tow. A peaceful sight, and then she stopped.

He smiled as she gathered up his present.

Relena twirled it between her delicate fingers and showed it to her children. Rosemary.

It was for remembrance. She looked up into the pristine blue sky and raised her hand as if touching the few cottony clouds that danced by.

One question arose in his eyes as he once again turned away from her - Did she remember him?

Or better to ask, could she ever forget him.

You'll find better love,
Strong as it ever was,
Deep as the river runs,
Warm as the morning sun,
But please, remember me.

Please remember me.

 

Thereís stories of swans dieing if their mates die. Could this hold true for soul mates? They may not mate as in ëto have childrení, but in their souls they mate. They cannot live without one another. True love and devotion does not come in marriage, it comes within the person. Whether or not they will be eternally together, that is only a question those two ësoul-matesí can know the answer to. It is a very rare love indeed.

~"There's rosemary, that's for remembrance, pray, love, remember." - Shakespeare~

~PPW~

(Perky Pixie Wings)