CHAPTER I-The Connection

 

"Ms. Yuy!" They called, pushing past each other to look upon the beautiful lady before them. She had dark hair and yellowish eyes that glowed like a lioness on the prowl. Her feral smile widened as the lights flashed at her, promoting her instincts to make her turn and run, but practice had helped her keep that terror at bay.

"Ms. Yuy, how does it feel to be here on the anniversary of your grandfather's death?"

"Are you not apprehensive of the implications meeting Earth's representative will have?"

She paused and turned to the reporter that had suggested this statement, "The only implications of this meeting is that perhaps a peaceful coexistence between the Earth and her colonies can exist. After all, we all come from the same place, do we not?" She turned as the media ate up her story, her expression sweet and earnest, "Is this not what my grandfather fought for since the very beginning? It's time to discard old traditions and past hatred before they destroy us all!" That, and a brilliant smile, was all that was needed to ensure her role as first story at every evening news program spacewide.

She moved up the wide steps to the grounds to the Earth Capitol Building, where she would fight one more time. The granddaughter of Heero Yuy was prepared for a battle of tongues.

Light bulbs flashed and distorted the world, making it bright and unreal. A young diplomat by the name of Relena Darlian stood nervously on a dais, eyes centered only upon one person: Ariel Yuy. As suggested by her staff, Relena had pulled her hair into a loose bun, a style intending to look casual and imposing at the same time. Her well-cut gray suit and black turtleneck performed a similar demonstration of cool confidence; as her advisors had said, Ariel Yuy was a cunning huntress, a pacifist bent on coming out on top.

She had previously been much like a show horse, paraded around on the anniversary of her grandfather's death like a dove of peace because the colonists believed the sole survivor of the massacre of the Yuys was something very lucky. But Ariel had outgrown her role as the act-on-the-side. The Eve Wars and Barton Scandal had suddenly given her room to grow as a politician until she was the forefront in the colonies. But Ariel was no ignorant child. She had long ago learned that the most important thing in life was one's self.

And the eighteen-year old girl that watched this woman approach knew that that was what made Ariel Yuy so dangerous.

"Vice Foreign Minister Darlian, it's pleasure to meet you," The leader of the colonies said, her growly voice caught somewhere between a snarl and a purr.

"No, Senator Yuy of Colony L1, the honor is all mine, "Relena countered lightly, a soft, open smile still playing across the edges of her mouth. But both women knew that the battle had already begun.

They both seated themselves on the plush pink chairs provided and began their discussion over the stylish click of cameras. Ariel Yuy decided to draw first blood, "Foreign Minister Darlian, I have reviewed the act you have been pushing in the Unified Senate. If I might say, it's quite a bold piece of litigation."

Relena smiled easily, "Well, they often say the young are bold and impudent, and I'm afraid I'm no different. Why can't we make changes now? All of the minor disputes that have been holding back this act are not significant enough to hold back this bill."

Darlian: one, Yuy: zero. Recent polls had been expressing an increasing amount of frustration among the public for a solid legislation claiming complete!!!!!!!. But Ariel did not lose, "Some of your actions seem almost hotheaded. People don't feel secure without a few big guns to ensure protection."

"But the people are receiving protection, namely the ever-expanding Preventers. This organization of devoted men and women have been acting as a spacewide police force. They are slowly replacing local preventive agencies by simply making them respond to a central organization. The Preventers have become a strong and formidable opponent to all hostile threats."

"But what of the General Decan and Mariemeia incident two years ago? Many people are still concerned that such an occurrence could happen again."

"The Preventers were newly established, and still a little shaky at the foundation. We have increased our numbers by four-hundred percent."

"And what of the local peace-maintaining agencies?" Relena drew a breath to explain their incorporation into the Preventers' ranks but Ariel went on, golden eyes gleaming, "Your Act is very daring, Vice Foreign Minister, and I worry about the safety of my colonies. For instance, the formal declaration of these grounds in Geneva for the new capitol building is restricting the governmental power to Earth. Many of the colonists are showing concern over this rash action. They fear that Earth will soon take advantage of this obvious mark in their favor."

"Perhaps you overlooked the section that outlines the Preventers' headquarters to be permanently assigned to Colony L1, Senator Ariel." Relena countered, the fierce fight hidden under the cordial tones of friendly banter.

Ariel ignored this blunt rebuttal, "Minister, I mean no offense, but this entire Act is outlining the official organization of the United Government. The authors of this bill are you and few others. Is it perhaps implying you intend to set yourself up for nomination as president of the reorganized Unified Nations?"

Journalists scurried for their palm pads to highlight that comment. That sentence had the opportunity of being featured as the 'startling discovery' of the discussion.

"I would do no such thing. If I were to be so nominated I would most likely refuse. I am trying to recede into the shadows, Senator Yuy, to allow more experienced people to carry that responsibility. Besides, the Act does say that only those above the age of thirty are eligible for the presidency."

"This seems almost like a new Constitution!" Ariel proclaimed, smiling sheepishly to the cameras, "Was that your intention?"

"No, indeed it was not, but I believe this are necessary and positive changes to lead us towards a brighter future. The Senate still has to debate and ratify this Act. Perhaps it will not even pass. I cannot see the future Senator, and I thank you for your time."

Yuy stood, challenge blazing in smiling eyes, "You are indeed a talented politician, Minister."

"Not nearly as good as you." Relena parried, leaving the discussion victorious, with cameras clicking furiously like the jaws of predators in her wake.

Ariel seethed. She looked into the sea of reporters and smiled genially. They all stayed to ask questions spare one, a man in black pushed his way out of the crowd to follow the Vice Foreign Minister. Hopefully it's an assassin, she thought to herself; and was startled when the figure turned to give her a blue-eyed glare before heading off. She grimaced slightly, what a strange, cold face.

 

 

The supposed-assassin followed his quarry cautiously, making sure she didn't see him. She never did, he knew that for certainyet somehowshe knew. She would stop at her doorway as she did then, left hand resting gently on the doorframe as it was then, head bowed slightly, golden hair falling over her beautiful face. No, not beautiful, he amended, just somewhat pretty. As she stood in such a position she would smile knowingly and whisper, "Thank you for protecting me today, Heero. Sleep well." It didn't matter where she was staying or how tired she was, she did it every day anyway. He thought it was very silly for her to speak to him when he very well couldn't have been there for all she knew. And, somehow, he had begun to live for those daily words of praise. He never, ever missed them. Ever. But that was just because he was grateful for gratitude. Right?

He sighed distractedly and took up his roost opposite her bedroom window. He never looked when she was changing -he had at least a little respect for her privacy- but other than that, he was at constant attention. Nothing she ever did went past his notice. And every birthday, she would find a present somewhere, a little reminder that he was there.

He did that merely to ease her mind and remind her of their promise. He didn't do it to see an unguarded expression on her face, and he certainly did not do it so she would look up to the moon and thank him. Oh no, for nothing of the sort. Heero Yuy only acted on his emotions, and Love was certainly not one of the feelings he carried in his heart!

However, he couldn't help but scowl about that Senator his subject had been dealing with. There was something about those yellow eyes that stirred all of the warning bells in his mind. She spelled danger, that woman. And no one was allowed to kill Relena except him!

"What do you want, Heero?" She asked him, tendrils of wet hair clinging to her face. He hated to see her all wet, but it had been necessary to remove her from the protection of her home.

"I will kill you."

"Of course you will. You always say that." She smiled. She always had a smile for him.

"No, you don't understand." Heero growled, voice tearing through his throat, "When you are no longer needed, I will kill you. I will protect you while you work for peace, but when it is truly achieved, I will come for you. Until then, no one else is allowed to harm you."

She was so calm, but her eyes were shining like stars, "I understand. When peace is attained, I will welcome you."

He smiled slightly, a little smirk in the darkness. Until that day, no one would touch her.