CHAPTER X- A New Plan, a New Problem

A/N: Thank you Laura for your excellent support in being my new beta-reader! Sorry you couldn't read this one in advance...:( This one's for you! (See, people out there who didn't review me???? SOME people like me enough to say so!!!...or else they're really, really bored.) Also, to Bolt Rocket, Seda1418, Lady Saffir (who asked about the pigeon theme!!!), Nightheart (ß man, I love her stuff :P), and anyone else I forgot for reviewing me so kindly! I feel giddy! Okay...on with the show...lights! camera! ahhhhhhhh-ction!

 

The podium was heated from the lights set up around the dais. Sylvia Noventa only smiled at the sea of hungry reporters.

"Ms. Noventa!"

"Isn’t it true you are here at the express disapproval of your government?"

"Ms. Noventa!"

"Please update us on the status of-"

"What has happened to the Gundam pilots? Why can’t we get statements from-"

Eventually, the questions died down, seeing as the woman to whom they were directing the questions wasn’t saying anything at all. There was something different about Sylvia Noventa today. Usually, she was light-headed and nervous, blushing at the sight of cameras and journalists. Her innocence, however, was one of the keys to her political success. Her slight resemblance to Relena Darlian and similar peace-based motives had easily gained her a seat on the Senate. Her country, a political strong, but very small European nation, had pushed her into the Senate in the hopes of drawing attention to themselves.

But as mentioned before, Sylvia Noventa was different today. There was a glimmer of determination in her eyes that no one had ever seen before. There was something wild and intriguing about her that made the air seem to crackle. It was this potential that strengthened her likeness to the vice foreign minister, and gained respect from the crowd.

And it was at that moment when Sylvia chose to speak, "As many of you fine people have already learned, the Republic of Alkenia has forbidden my appearance to you tonight. Everything I say is the complete and honest truth. Unfortunately, what is right and what is best for your political career are two very separate things. As you all know, I am up for reelection this year, and that I am currently leading in Alkenia by fifty-three percent. By tomorrow, those percentages will be greatly different.

"Of course, this makes it seem as if I am making a confession about my personal history. That is partly true. I am mainly going to speak of the events involving Relena Darlian and the Gundam pilots."

A flurry of voices interrupted the girl, and she rose a hand for silence. Her quiet dignity permeated the room and peace was regained.

"Please hold all of your questions until the end, " she continued on in a gentle yet firm tone, "My father was killed by a Gundam pilot, pilot 01, in fact. My father was on a quest for peace, and at first I was angry at this pilot, this stupid soldier, who had murdered our last chance at peace.

"But then, about a month after the accident, the pilot came to my house and asked for my forgiveness. He handed me a gun and offered me the chance to avenge my father’s death. I, of course, refused. Free copies of a security tape that recorded this discussion are being passed out right now.

"Relena confirmed, when she carried the cases of the Gundam pilots to court after the Barton incident, that this act had been an accident. For some reason, many of you reporters have been lead to disregard this as a falsehood, or ignore it completely. Others may recall Gundam 04’s rampage in space. The pilot destroyed two colonies, both of which were partially evacuated. His actions were later cleared, when it was proven he was in a state of mental instability at that time. You now replay the footage and forget the fact that the event you demand atonement for has already been resolved.

"My association with Heero Yuy will probably lose me my reelection. I do not, however, find that encountering and befriending a person who fought for peace is a bad thing. Therefore, I will no longer take the advice of my government and keep this information from you.

"I said that I wanted to say two things." She lowered her head. "This last thing will probably really kill me. I wanted to inform the public of a society that has been running things from behind. Relena stood up to them, and that has made her a target. What you have not been informed, for fear of hysteria from the public, is that Ms. Darlian has been kidnapped, and there is solid proof behind that fact.

"Unfortunately, I cannot confirm or deny the rumors of relationship between Heero Yuy and Relena Darlian, but I must remind you that photographs are no longer solid proof in our day and age.

"I fear too much for my safety to delve more deeply into this association behind the scenes. I can inform you in advance that very soon an ‘accident’ or deathly illness will soon be arranged for me. These are probably my last few days of freedom. But I suppose that it was worth it, if the people are informed."

No one stopped Sylvia Noventa from walking away from the podium with a gentle pride that stirred the hearts of many. This, however, was soon forgotten, and a stream of journalists rose and followed in her wake.

 

 

Mr. Kaliya was walking between the rows of his fragrant crop, not even waiting as Relena trailed him, trying to keep up with his long, elegant stride. She was reminded of a noble tiger, fierce and cunning. The striped face of the mask he wore only reinforced this image.

The masses of workers sweated over the plants, experienced fingers twisting off the plants’ precious bounty. Mr. Kaliya seemed very proud of the crops, "Look, Relena, here I employ of the locals for harvesting. This business is very profitable and very good for the local economy. If Kheft did not exist, this town would collapse into financial ruin."

Relena made no reply. Her eyes were on the terrain and the region she was in. She knew a little about the local wildlife, but not enough to survive. She assumed that there was a town nearby, and that all she had to do was find it. Behind her rose an ancient building, its foundation so old and well settled, it seemed as if the building was part of the Earth, a mountain tamed into the gentle geometric shapes.

"Well, Relena, as you now know, you are currently our prisoner, " Mr. Kaliya said to the wind, his white mask bright in the sunlight. Relena felt almost as if she was intruded on his private thoughts, "An ugly word, I know, but truthful. I’m afraid that to cause the chaos necessary, we will need to kill you."

Relena smiled wryly, "I will be viewed as a martyr. You will only strengthen peace."

Mr. Kaliya grinned, "Not if they don’t know who did it." He looked up to the clear blue sky, "And there will be plenty of organizations to point fingers at each other."

 

Ariel Yuy flipped off her T.V. in disgust, "Can you believe that Noventa character? She’s really trying to get the people to accept Relena’s supposed martyrdom. ‘She stood up to this organization.’ Bull shit!" She began to walk across the floor, vibrant and filled with thoughts.

Mr. Basu watched her with fearful fascination, "Does this ruin the plan?"

"No, it only improves it," Ariel concluded, "But it means I’ll have to talk to our new friends again."

"You spoke with the representatives of Kheft, then, Ms. Yuy?" Mr. Basu asked humbly, watching the tigress of a woman pace like a caged animal.

"Yes." She spat, "And it seems my plans have changed. Your friends are very clever, Mr. Basu."

"What is it, Ms. Yuy?"

"They will dissolve the Reconstruction Act by fracturing the unity of the ESUN." She shook her head, "A ‘new threat’ will coerce the people into believing they want another war. Clever. Very clever." Her smile turned hard and angry, "In the end, I will find the conspirators, reunite the Senate, and come out with presidency and an eternal debt to the Kheft organization."

"And Relena Darlian?"

"She’ll be dead."