CHAPTER XVI- Boom.

"You all owe me for this!" Duo complained as he stumbled along, the very unconscious Heero slung across his back, "Especially you. I’m never gonna let you live this one up."

Relena walked beside him silently, while the others walked ahead, unburdened as the others, Duo by Heero’s weight and Relena by her own sadness.

She stared at Heero’s impassive face under the moonlight that poked through the dense rainforest, the darkness of night still enfolding them in its blackness.

Oh Heero, why didn’t you say something?

 

 

"Une’s after Kheft, Ariel. You’d better get out of there." The informer growled desperately.

Ariel smiled at his compassion, "I’ll leave now then."

"You had better," he murmured, "you had better."

 

 

"Colonel, is this the right thing to do?" the lieutenant asked nervously, looking back at the steely woman that sat behind him. Her brown hair had been braided back, and she was wearing glasses, a strange expression flitting across her face.

"Follow your orders, soldier, that’s all you’re required to do," she demanded, "A soldier must never second-guess his commanding officer."

"Colonel, still, don’t you think this a touch drastic-"

She was indifferent to his words, eyes cold and dead.

"Just do as I say, or must I discharge you for treasonous behavior?"

"Yes, ma’am."

If Heero Yuy had been there, he would have recognized the cold transformation as extreme emotional distress, for he was much the same.

But he wasn’t, and there was no one to stop Une from falling down the fiery path madness.

 

 

There were soldiers still searching, of course. They were beating back the plants desperately, well aware, they would be punished it they weren’t found.

They heard the jet, but they were too late. Everyone was too late.

 

 

"This is Colonel Une of the ESUN Special Enforcement Department of Preventers. You are under arrest for charges regarding the kidnapping Vice Foreign Relena Darlian, citizen Mariemeia Kushrenada, and suspicious trafficking of illegal substances." He face was fury. It was unconquerable.

Mr. Kaliya was experienced with dealing with police, "Please allow us to confirm that." He asked calmly over the comlink, "Please land and allow us to discuss this."

Her eyes were hard and inimical, "I’m adding the charge of resisting arrest."

"Colonel, let’s discuss this like reasonable people-"

She smiled, and it was more frightening than before, "I’m sorry, but I’m not very reasonable right now. All I can seem to think about is Mariemeia. She’s still there, isn’t she?"

"Une, if this is about Mariemeia, I’m certain we can negotiate something."

"ESUN does not negotiate with terrorists!"

"We’re not terrorists, Colonel, merely businessmen."

"Bullshit."

"We’ll kill Mariemeia!" Mr. Kaliya threatened. He was losing his cool. He knew it. She knew it. Perhaps irrationality, like a virus was borne upon the wind, infected the most sane of people. He looked back to his guards, "Bring her in here!"

It was done in moments, and Une was allowed to look upon the daughter she had considered her own. She was carried, for she could not walk with the aid of a wheelchair.

"Mariemeia-"

Mr. Kaliya ripped off his mask, revealing smooth middle-eastern features. He looked…normal, "Turn around, Une, and go home, or your child dies."

Mariemeia smiled slightly through her stiff and bruised face, a good-bye smile, "Une, don’t let me hinder you. You must bring them down!"

She mjoved her hand to the gun at the holster of the man carrying her and did not even hesitate to put it to her head.

"I’ve always loved you like a mother, Une."

The gunshot was sudden and loud, exploding through the silence and piercing every heart with despair, the kidnappers for the loss of their hostage, and Une for the loss of her daughter of heart.

"Lieutenant," Une commanded coolly, "Give me ramming speed."

Mr. Kaliya smiled," This building extends deep underground, Colonel, you won’t harm us with a mere jet explosion."

She smiled, "But it won’t be merely a jet explosion, my friend."

^The shuttle did not descend to land in the fields, but careened forward, gathering speed in the air. The soldier piloting bit his lip.

She closed her eyes, she knew that Treiz Kushrenada would be waiting for her on the other side with open arms, and Mariemeia would be by his side, grinning with childish enthusiasm.

The world went red, then black.

And the sky exploded with a thousand sparks of pain, joy, and hate.

 

 

Ariel Yuy watched the blast from the safety of her plane, grinning to herself. She had just ridden herself of any proof that she had associated with a criminal association.

All she had to deal with now was a rival and a little brother.

 

 

"Is everyone alright?" Relena asked into the depths of the forest, her ears still popping from the change in air pressure from the detonation. Burning shrapnel was falling upon them, and the light from fire was lighting the darkness.

Duo grimaced and shoved the oblivious Heero off his back, "We had better get out of this country, it’s far too combustible for its own good!"

 

 

A/N: Nooooo, I’m not done yet. Sorry to Padme for not killing off Relena…We still have many things to resolve before I can conclude this story. Thank you all for your wonderful support! Sorry for any Une followers for killing her and Mariemeia off, it was important to the plot…L

~ML