CHAPTER VII- Two to One

"What are they called again, Mr. Basu?" Ariel was staring at her attendant with her acid yellow eyes, head tilted archly in a regal pose, "This group you have unearthed?"

"The are called ‘Kheft.’ It’s a drug ring that is so top secret, not one member knows the identity of another." Mr. Basu replied, his words dripping in an Indian accent, "And it seems like they have found Ms. Darlian a threat. They do not like politicians getting out of hand."

"I see. Do we have an agreement with them?"

"Yes, a minor one. They are worried about the Reconstruction Act, which calls upon democratic methods of voting for a new Senate, meaning that they could lose a lot of their puppets. Their plan is to take out Relena, then force the politicians they own to vote ‘no’ on the Reconstruction Act."

"How did you learn all of this, Mr. Basu?" Ariel asked, posture displaying attentive interest, fingers drumming on the desk..

"Because…because I am a member, ma’am." The man bowed several times, "I thought it wise to tell you, in case you wanted to sever all of political ties to me-"

Ariel smiled. She was used to such devotion, "No, that won’t be necessary, Mr. Basu. I trust you, but I’ll need you to get some inside information. Perhaps we can arrange to join forces."

 

 

"Heero, what are we going to do now?" Relena asked softly squinting up at him under the heat of the sun above them, "I mean-"

"I’m going back to the meeting. We’ll draw up a new guard detail for you." Heero replied, looked down at her coldly, all traces of passion gone from his eyes, "You are going home, and Duo and Trowa will be guarding you. Got it?"

"Heero, I still have some voice behind what happens to me!"

He pressed his forehead against hers. She forgot that she was mad at him, "I know, Relena. Just let me take care of you for now. I get the feeling that no one’s ever done that for you before." He smirked slightly at her jerk in surprise, "At least until you get back on your feet. Besides, you’re in danger at all sides."

She remembered why she was mad at him all of the sudden, "Heero, please tell me who did all of this. I know you know something-"

He hugged her once more, "Now is not the time-"

She pushed out of his arms suddenly, "It is if I say so! Heero if you really do care about me, you’d understand how important this is to me! I’m not a doll that will break at any moment! I’m person just like you!" She grabbed one of his hands and pressed it against her throat, "I have a pulse as well!" She lowered her voice, "And as you recall, we still have a promise between us that you must fulfill when the time is right."

Heero looked down desperately at Relena, but she would not give in. She looked at him coolly and levelly, "Our love —if that’s what you’d call it- has a time limit. But until then, I deserve as much respect as the next person." She pressed a hand against his cheek as he stood shocked, "Please…"

He pulled out of her grasp and avoided her inquisitive eyes, "Her name is Ariel…Ariel Yuy-"

A soft sigh escaped from Relena’s lips, as if she had been relieved of a heavy burden, "She wouldn’t do this. It isn’t logical. If she didn’t want the Reconstruction Act to pass, the last thing she would want is my to get sympathy. I don’t see any reason-"

Heero chose this moment to intervene, "She has a more personal reason," at her inquiring glance and continued, "We’re related."

"What? You and I are related?" she laughed nervously, "This isn’t some sick soap opera joke, is it?"

"No, Ariel and I are…siblings." His voice seemed coarser than usual, its deep monotone thickly coating any fear, "Half-siblings."

Relena seemed to go limp, her shoulders drooped and her head rolled down to stare at the concrete, "So…she wants to get back at you by hurting me?"

"I think so."

"Still, Heero, how do you know you really are related to her?"

He reached into the back pocket of his jeans, eyeing her nervously, "I thought I had a few memories, so I did some hacking to find proof."

"And…?"

He tossed her the packet, "Photos, letters, and articles confirm Heero Yuy had a grandson, and-" he fished out two more papers from his front pocket. Relena unfolded a birth certificate, with the name 'Heero Yuy' printed neatly on the top, "-these are the baby’s handprints. Those on the other paper are mine."

"Identical," Relena breathed.

"I think she was telling the truth —to some extent."

"But why would she-"

"Our mother died giving birth to me, the son of the man who had raped her. Also, when the Yuy family household was bombed, Odin Lowe took me and left her to die. She must have hated me."

"Odin Lowe? The famous assassin?"

"Yes. What’s so important about that?"

"Why, it was the political move that brought Ariel Yuy’s career forward. She authored a bill to promote the arrest of assassins eight years ago. She used that resolution to push the search for Odin Lowe. When he was killed, she came out as a heroine-" understanding dawned in Relena’s eyes, "and avenged the fact that he didn’t save her."

Heero pulled out an article from his wad of papers that confirmed Relena’s words. He seemed very calm, "Therefore, it justifies why she would be willing to risk her career hurting you."

"No, it doesn’t," Relena replied stoically, "There are better ways to wound a politician than through flesh and blood. A reputation is more essential than any organ in the body."

And then, Heero understood.

 

 

Ariel Yuy was leaning back in her chair, feet propped up on her desk, enjoying the spring breeze from her window. She was in the study where she had met her brother, eyes centered on the exact piece of carpet where he had been standing. Oh, what a glorious day that had been!

"Ms. Yuy…" Ariel looked up quickly, eyes centering irritably on the small dark man before her.

"Mr. Basu."

"Ms. Yuy, I would like to present to you the South American contact for Kheft, Mr. Black." Mr. Basu simpered, stepping aside to reveal a large man, whose glittering belt made proof to the fact that his visual appearance was holographic.

"Why, Mr. Black, I’m pleased to meet you." Was Ariel’s reply. She made no move to make herself look more official. This inaction made her seem equally or more important than the druglord, an important action if she wanted to appear dominating.

"And you, Ms. Yuy. We’ve all heard so very many wonderful things about you."

"You flatter me." Ariel brought her feet down from the desk, point made, and straightened the papers on her desk, "Mr. Black, I believe we have so business to discuss."

"We do?"

"Why yes," Ariel waited until he was seated. Mr. Basu remained standing, "I have heard that you have a vested interest in Ms. Relena Darlain."

"I did not know that that rumor was public knowledge."

"Are you validating it then, Mr. Black?" Ariel rebutted.

There was an uncomfortable pause, "No, Ms. Yuy, I am doing no such thing."

"What a shame," she stated carefully, "for I had an interest in her as well. I was hoping perhaps, that we could help each other."

Mr. Black did not reply, only walked out. Mr. Basu followed, and some minutes later, returned, beaming.

"Mr. Black has been impressed by you, Ms. Yuy." Her aide replied, bowing joyously, "You have been invited to the Kheft’s annual meeting, a masquerade."

"Oh, and what of Ms. Darlain?"

"Apparently she is invited as well."