"Midnight Kiss"

 

The mansion that had been the home of Relena Darlian as she grew up was decorated tastefully to a fare-thee-well. The Lady of the manse, the former Mrs. Darlian, had spared no expense in throwing a grand, wonderful New Years Eve party for her high society friends. Her New Years parties were the most extravagant and fun out of any thrown in that sector of town and were always a highly anticipated event. Everyone wanted to be invited to a party that was thrown at the Darlian mansion, they were renowned for their elegance and style, which could be directly attributed to Mrs. Darlian's good taste.

The floors were polished until they shone and reflected the lights strung up on the walls and the crystal chandeliers on the ceiling. There were long streamers and ribbons everywhere one looked, complete with decorative bunting and banners proclaiming "Happy New Year!" for all to see. Mrs. Darlian, now going by her maiden name of Elenora Madison, had spared no expense to have the place decorated in the most extravagant manner for the holiday and many important people were expected to be in attendance.

Not the least among which was Elenora's own daughter Relena, now happily ensconced in her position as Vice Foreign Minister between Earth and the Colonies. Relena had always been a precocious child, wise beyond her years. Even though she hid it well, Elenora had always been able to tell that Relena had felt the need to hide her intelligence in order to appear more like the model child of a politician and a socialite. As it turned out, the pretense had stood her in good stead, people had tended to underestimate her and so had been looser with their tongues around her. Relena had learned early on who and who not to trust. Elenora had always been rather proud of her daughter's abilities and instincts, which were now used actively in her role in politics.

"No, no, no! The floral arrangements of lilies and orchids go next to the kipper's plates and be careful not to brush the cake, that frosting took all day to perfect!" she called to the flower boys who were putting the center pieces she'd ordered on display at the secondary banquet table. They were sweet boys, really a trifle on the dull side but generally well-meaning.

"And speaking of young men," she murmured. "I think all of the ones I invited to the party have accepted their invitations. My daughter is bound to like one of them! After all, she is twenty three years old, she should be thinking of marriage and providing me with lots of little grandchildren to spoil rotten. How busy can she possibly be? There's always room for romance, I say. Romance and grandchildren, simply marvelous." And if the reluctant Relena had to be helped along in that department, wellwhat else were mothers for? Elenora would be more than delighted to arrange a picket line for her daughter's perusal. Lots and lots of nice suitable young men, of the right class and station of course. No daughter of hers would be marrying below her station! Yes, it was right and proper that the young woman should concentrate on raising a family, Elenora did not really approve of Relena spending all of this time alone in her office or closed away in those Unified Council meetings or attending to those diplomatic affairs. Not that there was anything wrong with that, butElenora wanted Relena to know the joys of having a family all her own. She wanted Relena to have a wonderful and loving husband by her side and know matrimonial bliss like Elenora had know it with her Richard.

Ms. Madison looked over her shoulder in time to save a waiter loaded down with a huge spun-sugar sculpture nearly loose it to a collision with a towel-boy. She leaped over just in time to steady the plate and its precious cargo while the poor man steadied himself. Breathing a heavy sigh of relief, she relinquished the plate to the man and righted the disarrayed towels.

<I should go and check on the caterers in my kitchens, everything has to be perfect for tonight.>

"Hey, lady! Heads up!" some one called from the side. Elenora looked over just in time to see the crystal punch bowl take a nose dive for the floor, fortunately some guard she'd hired to watch the grounds tonight with quick reflexes saved it from shattering on the floor.

"I don't know where they find these young men, but a lot of villages must be missing their beloved idiots!" she muttered. "Excellent job young man, thank you very much," Elenora called over to the guard who'd saved her heirloom punch bowl.

"No problem," he said tonelessly.

As Elenora took in the guard's unkempt appearance she wondered if it would be against regulations to tell him to go and brush his hair before the guests arrived. Deciding that it would not be out of her jurisdiction, as she was paying them to look good as well as take care of her house for the evening, Elenora imperiously summoned young man, pulled out one of her emergency combs and peremptorily said

"This is a comb, I trust you know what to do with it."

The youth took the comb from her. Looked at it, looked at her with an expression of you're-joking-right? on his face, but Elenora made every sign of being serious. In fact, it appeared that if the young man did not comb his messy hair, she was going to do it for him. She stood there watching him expectantly, challenge in her eyes, until the lad ran the comb through his hair and tamed it into some semblance of neatness. With a satisfied nod, Elenora waved him off and moved on to other business.

"Now there's a lady who walks where no mortal dares to tread," another guard said cheerfully, from behind the one who had just straightened his hair. The now neat-haired guard glared at him and continued checking the perimeter of the place for any sign of threat.

"We're here to make sure that nothing happens to the Vice Foreign Minister before she can attend the Summit Council for those peace talks, Duo. We are not here simply to crash the party," said the guard (A.N. as if you haven't figured out who it is by now!)

"Spoil sport," the braided one muttered.

"No! Not over there! I told you, the bread course goes in between the pastries and the fruits. Now get it right!" Elenora put one hand to her head to massage her temple. "I'm surrounded by idiots," she muttered. "And speaking of idiots, where is that head fellow anyway, he was supposed to be back with the rest of the catering staff an hour ago. And where is that candle arrangement I ordered, I don't see it!"

"Relax mother," came a soothing voice from behind her. "I'm sure everything will be just fine. The caterer fellow is running behind because of traffic difficulties, it is the holidays you know, he just called to say that he should be here in about ten minutes. The candle arrangement is coming with him. These people are professionals, they'll have everything ready in time or die trying. The man at the bar is really very entertaining and you look like you could use a good stiff drink."

"You know that I do not drink before these events dear," said Elenora, still massaging her temples. "There will be quite enough of that going on later tonight, there always is."

"Come now, you know that New Years has always been an excuse to get drunk and pass out, why would that change now?" said Relena rhetorically, smiling at her. "Why don't you just sit down for a few minutes and I'll handle some of the details."

"Nonsense dear, I won't hear of it. This party is for you to enjoy. You're my guest of honor and I will not have you slaving away at the preparations, you work yourself hard enough as it isnever leaving you any time to socialize. This is your opportunity to be among your friends."

"I don't even know most of the people you invite to these things mother," she reminded her.

"Well all the more reason for you to rest up and relax before tonight, you don't want to look tired and frazzled at the party. After all, you never get a second chance-"

"To make a first impression, I know mother," she finished, her tone conveying her over-familiarity with the phrase.

"Don't be cheeky dear, now do be good and let me handle things, I know what I'm doing. Oh, and would it kill you to be a little moreinviting to the young men this year? You're twenty three years old, don't you think it's time you at least started to consider settling down? I would like to have some grandchildren to bounce on my knee while I'm still young enough to bounce them."

 

"Oh no, not this again!" Relena muttered under her breath through now-gritted teeth. Every year it was the same thing, she'd get read the same lecture about how she wasn't getting any younger and shouldn't she be settling down with some nice, high-society man to raise a passle of screaming brats in a house with a picket fence and a canine.

These New Years parties she threw every year were nothing more than an excuse to introduce Relena to as many young gentlemen as possible in the span of a few hours. So those said young gentlemen might later pop in on her at odd times (usually when she was in the middle of something vitally important) for a cup of tea or an invitation out to dinner. Unfortunately, Relena had been brought up with impeccable manners, so usually had to drop whatever it was she was doing and attend her guests first. It was a royal pain in the neck.

Fortunately, Relena had come prepared this year. Before her mother could make with the "introductions" Relena planned to have Milliardo on her arm. There was nothing like the menacing vibes of a Protective Elder Brother to counteract the Unwanted Suitor Introduced By Mother.

"Mother, we've been through this," said Relena, exasperated. "I'm simply too busy right now to worry about finding a husband and raising a family. Besides that, I happen to love my work and it's vitally important that I keep at it for a while. I'm only twenty-three, don't you think that's a little young to be concerning myself with building a home and having a family?"

"No time like the present," replied Elenora, looking at her daughter hopefully. No dice, Relena was wearing her stubborn expression. Elenora sighed wistfully and looked pitifully at her daughter. She was about to make with the trembling lip thing when she was interrupted by on of the caterers wanting to know where he was supposed to put the white linen napkins. Elenora bustled off to attend to the matter personally.

"I'm just going to gofreshen up," Relena commented to no one in particular, and drifted out of the formal ball room. Once out of sight she leaned against a wall and hit her forehead on it. Hard. It was going to be a long night.

<It can't be worse than all of those long Council meetings that last all day,> she told herself. Prior experience, however, told her otherwise. It could indeed be worse.

With a sigh, Relena wandered upstairs to her room to prepare herself for the party.

End Part 1.