CHAPTER IX- The Cries of Children Fall Silent in the Blackness of Space

 

A/N: This was going to be longer, but I broke it in half so I could concentrate better on both parts. Please enjoy this morsel, and tell me what you think!

 

Heero looked up groggily, trying to identify his surroundings. He picked up a variety of sounds, and quickly singled out and identified them.

A low-pitched hum that peaked every three seconds. Class 4A Shuttle Engine for long range flights.

The familiar tap of fingers on keys and beeping of machinery muted by a curtain. A cockpit precisely 5.8 meters away.

The creak of an overstuffed seat below him. An expensive top of the line spacecraft.

And a delicate swish of cloth, as well as a rhythmic tap of shoes on metal plates. These sounds, as well as a very special scent, made him aware of his fellow passenger.

"Relena."

She must not have heard him. Carefully, he opened his eyes and tipped his head slightly. She was clutching her arms and pacing nervously, brow creased in nervous concentration and shoulders tensed. Her light hair had come loose of its bun.

She looked disorderly and unprofessional.

He finally coughed slightly to alert her to his presence. She looked up, startled, and then plastered on a fake smile, "Heero, you’re awake."

He was not one to shy from the point, "What’s wrong, Relena?"

She shrugged, "Nothing’s wrong-"

"What is wrong?" his voice was commanding and dangerous. She vaguely remembered just how strong the man she faced was.

A year ago she would have called him a boy. She would have called herself a girl instead of a woman- immature, hopeful, and idealistic.

But it was not his age that gave him the title of man, nor hers the title of woman. It was perhaps the look in their eyes, or the way they both held themselves- passionate, thoughtful, and lonely.

Or maybe it was just the fact that they had both seen death and despair. Or maybe because they had both been manipulated and betrayed.

In our teenage years our eyes are opened to life, and that period of adolescence is the time when we try to break free from the cycles of life we are confronted with, and our adulthood is when we accept those truths as unchangeable.

Both of these people had seen life and accepted it, even if they were far too young for such a horrible burden. It was very unfair, for some people live their whole lives in blissful ignorance and die happily, while they realized it far too early for any person.

But that’s what happens sometimes because life is cruel.

She sighed and broke her gaze away from him, "I need your help, Heero. Duo told me once you have excellent hacking skills-"

"He was not lying."

She looked up at him, as if his interruption disturbed her delicate train of thought, "You know about the Mafia, right?"

He nodded.

"My sources at Earth tell me that they were behind the attack. They don’t want my interference because they want to control the mining colonies. It is said that they even run the mining companies." She took a shaky breath, shoving stray hairs from her face, "I need you to find out anything you can about them, who are their moles in the local governments are, any plans they have-"

He looked very focused, "I will do as you ask."

 

 

"My name is Commander Jour," the man at the podium announced. He was a strong man, with a thick waist and large hands, and it looked more as if he would snap the microphone under his large fingers rather than hold it, "and I am running for the Office of the President of the ESUN. As you all know, I am opposing Senator Wayridge for the nomination from the People’s Unified Party. Senator Ariel Yuy is running unopposed as the candidate for the United World Political Party.

He looked across at the sea of people who were looking up at him, "I believe that we as a nation must protect ourselves. Revolution will only serve to destroy the precious peace that we have created. In the past four years, pacifism has been the proper way to rule the ESUN. However, this uprising needs to be crushed by stronger means. I believe in pacifism. We all do. But I also believe in self-preservation. Pacifism is not an excuse to step aside and allow thugs to poke fun at this beautiful federation that we have created. Pacifism is the ideal that no one should fight without a reason, but that we should protect ourselves when necessary.

"Didn’t Relena Darlian-Peacecraft, the founder of this way of life, suggest the same in Brussels when Dekim Barton and Mariemeia Kushrenada had a coup d'état to gain control over the ESUN? It is with these thoughts in mind that I promoted the creation of the Eliminator Project.

"This project began many years ago, but it was canceled by Colonel Une after the Barton Scandal. We believed that it would no longer be necessary to have such a powerful weapon. When the skirmishes began throughout the mining colonies, I revived that project." The politician lifted a heavy hand to the screen behind him, where a sleek machine, much like an overturned spider, came into view. He smiled at the crowd and endured the flashes of cameras that twinkled and flickered like stars. "The Eliminator is piloted by highly trained specialists. Once inside, that person focuses the energy of the machine and sends that energy to a designated location.

"This weapon is not going to be used as a tool for domination. This weapon is a warning to all those who dare oppose our precious peace. No one will cross this line on my watch. We have achieved peace, and now we must protect it!"

The crowd erupted into cheers.

 

 

"A clever move." Ariel murmured, staring at her video screen and rubbing her thumb with her forefinger, "You are twisting Relena’s ideals to gain control of an almighty weapon and also have deluded them into believing it’s for their own good."

She grinned and switched off the television, "Very clever, my enemy, but I can do better than that."

 

 

The quiet cabin was filled with the sound of tapping keys on a computer. Relena had collapsed onto a chair and was staring out at the blackness of space as Heero typed frantically. It was an hour before he spoke again.

"Come here, Relena," he said, eyes never leaving the computer screen.

Curious, she straightened and walked over to him, undoing her hair with one hand and her shoes in another. He glanced at her from the side. She looked tired and determined. He knew there would be no convincing her to rest when she wore such an expression.

He brought up several windows on the screen, and scrolled hurriedly through the computer code.

"MC-4203 is considered one of the most important places for the Mafia," he began, bringing up a series of blueprints as he spoke, "Rumor has it that it is run by Duncan Sharpe, a famous hitman of the late Parvoti Stane, a man most people liked to call ‘The Rock.’"

"How original."

Heero gave her an annoyed look, "Apparently, Parvoti is a little more idealistic than his predecessors. He wants to turn the mining colonies into his own private nation that he can rule over in the open. Other Mafia leaders don’t like all of the publicity, but Parvoti is too powerful to go against. He’s got connections in every major company and federal office in the entire ESUN."

"And I will be meeting with him on this insane trip?"

"Yes." Heero was angry at her, and it showed in his clipped tone. While online, he had thoroughly researched her reasons for joining the envoy, and was not happy with what he saw. Those stupid diplomats probably told her about the bad working conditions and starving children and she probably took up the job with open arms, forgetting about her reasons for withdrawing from the political arena.

She loved people far too much.

She had intercepted his unusually harsh glare and seemed wounded, "What is it?"

"You're sending the wrong signals, Relena." He stated.

She was, to say the least, very confused, "What do you mean?"

"You resigned from your job and yet you take it up again. You are confusing a great many people. The public believe in you, but you are constantly deceiving them."

She broke eye contact with him, "Do you really think so lowly of me?"

Heero stood up angrily, and the air grew tense in the expectation of an argument.

Before the conversation could escalate, the voice of the copilot interfered, "Miss Relena, there's a call for you, audio only. Do want to accept it?"

Heero glared at the man, ever attentive, "Did you ask who was calling?"

Relena looked at him pointedly, tucking her hair behind her ears and straightening her jacket, "Of course I'll take it."

She walked up the aisle to the far end of the cabin, where a small alcove was nestled beside a generator for her to receive private messages.

"Please state your purpose," the computer requested politely in a smooth and gentle tone. She sighed appreciatively. Sometimes it was nice to escape Heero's grating and threatening baritone.

"Intercept call for Relena Darlian."

"Receiving. Call origins: Mars surface, exact location indeterminable. Audio only."

The screen turned black and Relena smiled. This could only be one person, "Hello Milliardo."

"Good evening, Relena." She recognized her brother's voice instantly, and it soothed her in a way only the sound of a sibling's voice could, "I'm establishing a visual link." And then his face flickered into view, light blond hair falling into his eyes and piercing eyes seeking out her heart.

"It's good to see you again."

"Yes."

"Relena, I wanted to ask you something," he said, eyes boring into hers.

"Feel free to ask me anything," she gave him a sweet little sister smile that she knew would make him feel strong and comfortable. She sighed to herself. Perhaps she was a little too good at understanding people.

He cleared his throat and cut straight to the point, "Why did you reaccept the position of Foreign Minister? Don't you know that you are going against what you said was right?"

She blinked back a few stubborn tears and forced herself to look relaxed, "Are you and Heero psychically linked?" she said cheerfully, laughing at his outrage, "He just asked me the same thing!"

Milliardo Peacecraft, otherwise known as Zechs Merquize, looked suddenly dangerous, "What is Yuy doing with you?"

Relena shrugged, "Don't tell me you aren't following the news. He just saved my life."

Relena's brother looked rather angry, "I respect Heero very much, my sister. He's courageous and pure but also not to be trusted! He's psychotic!" The man known as Zechs drew a deep breath, "There are some people who can't throw away the code of being a soldier. I can't. Heero can't."

His eyes implored her, "Relena, did he force you back into your job? I know he's always had this crazy idea that you are the bringer of peace or some other such nonsense-"

She shook her head, "Heero didn't force me into anything, but I swear to you I'm not doing this at my own free will."

"Relena-"

"I don't want to talk about it." The subject was quickly filed under 'unmentionable topics' in both of their minds.

He mumbled something angry, but the former queen of the world chose to ignore it, "Anyway, Relena, I was going over the candidates for this last election. Jour and Yuy are out of the question, and our current president has refused to run for reelection. That leaves only Wayridge as the best choice for peace."

She nodded. They often had these political discussions, "However, Wayridge isn't popular enough to win."

"Exactly. You should mention your support for him in one of your speeches."

The girl nodded knowingly, "I don't want to guide the people into anything, though. Their thoughts should be their own."

"Yes, Relena, but what other choice do you have? A crazy Marquis and former general or that snake of a senator?"

Relena rubbed her shoulder, avoiding the subject, "I'm going to rest now. There are a lot of things I need to think about." She reached for the 'terminate call' switch.

"Relena," Milliardo intervened, "watch yourself over there. The mob won't be pushed around eagerly."

"I will, my brother."

"I guess I feel somewhat reassured that that damned pilot is with you."

He was awarded a puzzled look. "Why?"

"Because Heero Yuy would sacrifice his life for you without a second thought."

The conversation ended, leaving Relena with many things to think about.

 

 

Milliardo Peacecraft sighed, stretched, and stood up, glancing over at the beautiful woman that stood in the doorway.

"Heero's right, though," Lucrezia Noin pointed out in a gentle tone, "She is the key to peace, the only link between Earth and the colonies."

The man who was considered dead sighed and switched off his computer, "I know. I know."

And a small shuttle docked at a rundown colony, where the occupants would meet an interesting reception.