PROLOGUE- Shooting Memories

A/N: Agh! A sequel! Read ëMasqueradeí first! Warning: REALLY, REALLY mature themes.

DISCLAIMER: Attempts to raise funds to buy the rights to ëGundam Wingí have failed, so I can clearly state that I do NOT own them. I DO own a really nice Pentel pen and a decent alarm clock. How about a swap?

 

BTWÖ.my computer was meanÖsorry for the bad upload beforeÖL

 

The gun was at Doctor Jís head. This wasnít the first time he had been threatened in such a manner. One got used to it, he supposed.

"Why?" There were tears on the former subjectís face, something that had been programmed out of him a long time ago. "Why did you do it? You knew what you were doing!"

Doctor J steeped his fingers, "We all do regrettable things in a time of war, Mr. Yuy. As you recall, my boy, the original idea of Operation Meteor was to make a massacre so horrendous, no one would ever forget it."

The gun was pressed harder against his temple. The old man sighed. His subject was choked up with emotion, "But I was just a child!"

"Does being innocent deprive you of the obligation to save your world?"

"Does war give you the obligation to destroy the life of a child?"

Doctor J shook his head. Subject Heero Yuy was never supposed to second guess his orders. Subject Heero Yuy was never supposed to misinterpret the intentions of his commander.

But Heero Yuy had never been normal.

 

 

"Odin Lowe is dead."

"What?" The boy that peered up through his bangs at the doctor had eyes that showed he had killed before.

"Odin Lowe was killed in a raid of his house of L1."

 

"Oh." There was something mysterious and disconcerting about the child, and he sulked in a way that set Doctor Jís teeth on edge.

"I can give you a job though. I can help you save your colony. Would you like that?"

Once again, Heero Yuy was given up for another caretaker, another person who wanted to use him. He would later discover that Relena Darlian-Peacecraftís life had been very similar.

"Okay."

 

 

The corpse of a puppy amidst a pile of rubble.

A child buried in her unnatural grave of debris and glass.

A daisy, withered from lack of water.

 

 

A giddy sensation. A release previously unknown to him.

"Do as we say, boy, " the doctor had said, holding up the powder-filled packet, "And you will receive more."

Do as they say.

Do as they say or remain deprived.

Did he really have a choice?

He was addicted.

He was alone.

He was the perfect tool.

 

 

The gun clattered to the floor. Doctor J smiled, "I loved you like a son, Heero, but war called for sacrifice."

Heero Yuy bent down for the gun and shot it near the manís foot.

"It wasnít your sacrifice to bestow. The price I had to pay was too high!" he was furious, irrational, and filled with pain, "All I think about is wanting it. I hurt everywhere. All I want is to taste it again." He cocked the gun, "And you did this to me."

"I did what was necessary." He took a deep breath, "What will you do now, Heero?"

"Iíll find a way to stop my body from telling me what to do. Iíll fight the urge. But I wonít forget what happened, or," he rose the gun again threateningly, "who did it to me."

"You came to kill me tonight, didnít you?"

"I did."

"So why didnít you?"

"Because it wasnít worth it. Because she wouldnít have wanted it."

Heero Yuy left with a flutter of the curtain, and Doctor J remained, fingers steeped.

There had been no other choice.

Had there?

 

1