CHAPTER III-The Truth

 

~~~

RECAP

The year is A.C. 1136, and the archeologist 'Elen' and the man that has come to shut down her excavation ('Reo') have stumbled upon an ancient computer counsel, which has given them a direct video linkway to the past.)

A face flickered onto the screen, the face of a blond teenage girl, finely boned and delicate.

Trae let out a breath nervously, "Elen...she looks like you."

The screen fuzzed again, but the image was restored.

"My name," the phantom image said in a clear, resolute voice, "is Relena Darlian-Peacecraft."

~~~

 

The silence in the camp was beyond profound- it was practically tangible.

The girl cleared her throat, "I would like to say that the accusations placed upon me by the ESUN are completely correct. I demand that you all stop rioting. I have indeed been manipulating the public. Now you must put down your arms!

"I must have manipulated you if you can act this insane over a stupid court order," Her hands were shaking on the podium and her voice was wavering, "The rumors you have heard of my interrogation are...are completely untrue. I was merely dealing with the shock of this announcement.

"Please, citizens of space and Earth, unite one more! Lay down your weapons and stop this bloodshed!"

The screen fuzzed again. Someone had assembled these recordings almost as if they wanted someone to come across them.

Another man, a blond man who resembled the girl from before was leaning close to the camera. He looked half-starved. The date above blinked a 'A.C. 197', "I just got a message from Heero. He got Relena safely, and the ESUN still can't find them. Heero knew this was coming. We all did. I think Relena did too, but she was always slightly too idealistic. She believed that they would have a trial. I can't blame her for what happened. Noin and I...well, we're going to try and last as long as we can. Emery is safe, though. Sally came by to drop of supplies and gave us the news.

"The ESUN is cracking down hard on the Preventers too. They don't want another OZ on their hands. She doesn't know when she'll be able to sneak over again. I told her to take Emery just in case. Noin knows how long we have. We don't harbor any delusions of us making it through this year. God, I hope Heero can keep Relena safe. I know he will do his best- that's why I asked him to help us. As if he wouldn't, that boy is so in love with her he doesn't even realize it.

"I hope the people don't forget. I wonder how long they will be able to make it. We don't have long. There isn't enough fuel for a return flight and the ESUN certainly get a man who committed treason."

His eyes pleaded with the people that watched, "God help us all-"

"They killed him." The girl had been crying, but her face was composed, "They killed Duo. I know he told me they would track him down after Relena and Heero escaped. I just hadn't expected it to be so soon." She was smiling softly, "He used to be so good at hiding. His gundam on stealth mode was undetectable. I guess he got sick of it. I guess he wanted to die a hero's death, not be silenced in his sleep. He said that the Preventers would lose interest in me if he was gone. I hadn't expected him to mean gone as in dead. But I would give anything and everything just to spend a few more seconds with him..."

She shook her head, "Sally delivered to me Milliardo and Noin's child. She couldn't afford to take care of her with the Preventers being so closely monitored. What with Trio on his way," she patted her stomach adoringly, "And taking care of Emery, that gave me an idea. I hacked into the records of the bases of the gundam pilots' training facilities and found a way to start over. Sperm banks. I hired a couple of women to help me out.

"Duo always called me a rebel," she grinned, "I guess old habits die hard. The ESUN will certainly get a surprise."

He eyes flickered down to her computer, "Shit, they're pirating the frequency!" she pressed a couple more buttons and leaned over to another screen, "Scramble, people, scramble!

"She looked back furiously, "The only way you'll stop me is if you tear me apart, and even then, the people will find out the truth!"

The screen fuzzed over again.

Elen's hand reached for the 'terminate' switch, but the device hadn't finished yet.

Reo put a hand to his gun. As soon as the recording ended, he would have to put an end to this.