Relena Got Run Over by a Gundam

 

It was definitely Christmas time, the ground was covered in a thick blanket of snow, the yard were lit up with bright colorful strings of lights and other decorations, and the air was filled with the happy sound of laughter as party-goers and other revelers delighted in the occasion.

"Trowaaa!" Quatre said in delight as rachid opened the door to reveal the uni-banged face of Trowa Barton and his elder sister Catherine Bloom.

"Hello Quatre," he said quietly.

"I'm so glad you could make it to my celebration," said Quatre. "Most of the others are here already. I think you're the last to arrive."

"Well thank you for inviting us Quatre," said Catherine. "We're always delighthed to spend more time with our friends."

Trowa and Catherine were divested of their outer wear by the eager hands of three of Quatre's maganac Corps men. They follwed Quatre down the entry foyer and into the living room where the bulk of the celebrations were being held.

The room was lit up brightly and the holly boughs hanging on the walls only added to the over all christmassy fell of the room. The tree was eight feet tall and lit up bright as a bon fire. Trowa was mildly surprised to see everyone there.

Heero was standing in the corner talking, well more accurately listening to WuFei and Sally Po as they told him of their latest excursion into the Peruvian jungles to check up on the rumors of a pocket of rebels. Hilde sat with Lady Une and Mariemaia Kushrenada as the little girl in the red velvet dress recounted and episode she had endured at school. Milliardo and Noin were talking with Dorthy about the inticasies of a good game of chess. And last but not least Duo and Relena were bent over a table chortling together about something they were writing.

Trowa just barely caught the edge of their conversation as Relena said

"Oh, come on! You know it and I know it...What's the most annoying thing that I can say?..."Heeerooooo!"

Duo and Relena promptly burst into fits of giggles, for Relena was a wicked mimic of herself.

"Quatre," said Trowa, taking in the two of them laughing uproariously. "I think you'd better go check the egg nog."

"Hey! It fits! That's perfect!" Relena exclaimed suddenly.

"Oi Ojousan," said Duo. "I think you're right, Milliardo really would kill him."

Trowa drifted off into the room and was absorbed into a conversation with Wufei and Sally as Catherine joined Lady une and Dorothy. It was one hour later when Relena and Duo stood from whatever it was they had been working on together, both of them looking a trifle buzzed from the egg nog.

Relena grinned and sat down at the piano. Duo sat down on the bench next to her, both of them were grinning form ear to ear as though participating in some marvelous joke only they knew about.

"Attention everyone," said Relena. Funny, she still sounded sober. "I have a song that I'd like you to hear to commemorate this holiday season. Remember... it's all in good fun."

"Ready?" asked Duo.

"Whenever you are," she replied agreeably.

"Hit it."

Relena began playing the piano, Trowa recognized the opening tune as belonging to that of a very old humorous song called "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."

Grinning fit to slit his face in half Duo gave a quick glance at Heero before starting to sing. By the end of the first line there were surprised guffaws, quickly surpressed. But they noticed that Relena herself was laughing so they allowed themselves to laugh freely. By the end of the chorus, they were all laughing so hard they could barely stand.

 

The song went something like this:

Relena got run over by a gundam,
Coming home from Quatre's Cristmas Eve.
You may say there's no such thing as Heero,
But as for me and Milliardo we believe.

She'd been yelling too much (relena) "Heeerooo!"
And the poor boy finally snapped.
Soon he had her in his gun-sights,
And with an Omae Wo Korosu she was trapped.

Chorus:
Relena got run over by a gundam
Coming home from Quatre's Cristmas Eve.
You may say there's no such thing as Heero,
But as for me and Milliardo we believe.

When we found her Christmas morning,
At the scene of the attack...
There were beam marks on her forehead,
And a giant metal footprint on her back.

(Relena and Duo, grin)

Now we're all real proud of Milliardo,
He's been taking it so well.
But if he ever catches Heero,
(Relena and Duo together)
He's gonna blow the Gundam pilot straight to hell!

 

 

At this point the two of them burst out laughing, having held it in to finish the song. When they finally conquer their giggles, Relena says

"Now, I didn't write this song to make fun of anyone...although I must admit it's a rather nice bonus." She grinned. "No, the purpose of this song was demonstrate to everyone the value of humor. If nothing else, one must be able to laugh at ones self. Without that ability the world can become a very dark and depressing place. And if you ask me it's already dark and miserable enough without our help. So if I can laugh at myself and all of my foibles, and I admit there are plenty of them, surely everyone can learn to appreciate the purely human sense of humor and let it act as a guide to handling the various situations the universe puts us into."

"Ya gotta admit, this world's a pretty strange place," added Duo. "If I couldn't find a way ta lighten it up, I'd prob'ly go nuts. No one said it'd be easy, but I think the ability to share a laugh every now and then makes it all worth it. So there ya go, my sentimental drivel for the year is done with."

"Out of the mouths of fools and babes," muttered Wufei. "The sun will surely rise in the west tomorrow...Duo Maxwell has actually made a good point!"

Sally, standing nearby, chuckled and said aloud

"Let's hear it again!"

"Uh-oh," Relena muttered to Duo. "I think I've created a monster."

She motioned to Quatre.

"Hey Quatre, take over for me please."

"Of course," he said and took her place at the bench.

Relena for her part, followed Heero out onto the balcony, which had been swept clear of snow. Her breath made little clouds of vapor as she breathed out.

"So Heero," she said conversationally, but her eyes were sparkling with mischief. "What did you think of my little song?"

"Omae Wo Korosu," he said in his usual monotone. Then he have his little smirk of a smile.

Relena chuckled (a little releived that he hadn't taken it personally).

"Why are you doing this?" he asked suddenly. "Why go to the trouble to parody something that is bound to be popular and remembered for a long time to come? They'll never let you live it down."

"Well," she said shrugging slightly. "Did it make you laugh?"

"...It did," he allowed, after a pause.

"Then my job here is done."

THE END

And as always, I own nothing. All the characters used in this fic belong to other people (you know who you are, unfortunately I don't).