THE WARD

Chapter I- The Travesty

A/N: hehehe…Romantic Comedy…:P

She sat on her chair, legs up on the cushion and book nestled onto her lap. Her room was medium sized and not overly ornate, with all of the fundamental furniture and a few choice trinkets that reflected her taste.

However, the place in which she lived was centuries old, With smooth marble columns and delicate woodwork. Outside of her room, the plush, overly intricate walls and rooms reeked of wealth and sophistication.

She had stripped her room to the barest of essentials, believing that that would help her concentrate on her work, which was, to put it bluntly, to keep the Earth and the colonies from killing each other.

She sighed and stretched, glancing at the clock that told her that she had once again read into the wee hours of the morning. Her joints popped and she put down her book on her bookcase with one graceful movement.

Her books contained titles such as Pacifism in Modern Times, The Power of Nonviolent Resistance, Compromise, the 53rd Edition, and other intimidating titles. She hadn't read a fiction book in one whole year. Resolutions and other bills that were being considered in the Senate were piled on her desk, spread out on the floor, and generally strewn about everywhere. Each one was thoroughly dog-eared and highlighted.

She had to keep up to date with current resolutions, advising the senators on which bills would be advantageous to their region and lobbying her own pet project- the terraformation of Mars- to everyone else. It was a grueling job.

The girl settled herself in front of her mirror, careful hands untying her flaxen hair. She shook her head, so that it would loosen up and float down to her shoulders. She studied her reflection intently. She was still as thin as she had been in the war, and she forced a twinkle into her sparkling blue eyes.

There, that was better. That was the old Relena. Why was it so hard to be something she used to be every day? She yanked on her pajamas wearily and then opened the door of her room.

There was a foot shifting sound and a rustle in the shadows.

"Relena."

She turned to Heero distractedly and nodded at him, "You should go to bed."

"My shift will be over in ten minutes." He assured her.

She awarded him a small smile, "That's nice."

She yawned again and walked over to the bathroom to brush her teeth.

A few minutes later, she walked past again, and with a final goodnight, went into her room.

Heero stood on guard several minutes later before he ventured to open to door a crack. Luckily, she was asleep. She had pillowed her head in the crook of one arm, her hair flung about in sleepy disarray.

He dared to give the unconscious person a half smile.

Four months ago, she had held him close, whispering words of assurance as Mariemeia was carted away on a stretcher and the corpse of Dekim Barton was being disposed of. He suddenly found himself envying the blankets that covered her, the teddy bear that was allowed to sit on her dresser, watching her constantly…

He never thought that he would envy a bedroom of all things.

He worried deeply about her, and especially about how the court order that was to be issued the next day would affect her life. A tap on the shoulder awakened him from his reverie.

"I didn't know you still-"

"Of course." He said, turning to face the careful and composed man who was to replace him.

His name was Trowa Barton. Well, actually that wasn't his name, but it was close enough for him, "There is nothing more painful than unrequited love."

Heero looked up, his deep blue eyes searching his friend's playful green, "She's too busy to notice my feelings, and that will spare her any guilt. I don't have any problem guarding her, even if I can never her call her mine."

The shadows were deep in the hallway, which was only illuminated by a skylight above. Trowa shook his head, "You should tell her."

"She can't understand love. Everyone has used or deceived her in the past. I don't think she could every bring herself to trust anyone."

"You could help her."

"No, I know too little about it myself."

"Ah yes, you told me once during the war when you were recuperating. A child who ran away from home, worked as an assassin, and became the most dangerous Mobile Suit pilot all before he reached the age of sixteen."

Heero was almost seventeen. Trowa had just passed his eighteenth birthday.

Heero forfeited his gun and walkie-talkie to the tall acrobat, "Take care of her."

"I always do."

Heero walked of. Relena slept on, unaware.

 

 

"Ms. Relena Darlian-Peacecraft, are you prepared for the decision of this court?"

Relena had spent the past year and a half putting off her court time, citing Pegan, her trustworthy butler, as her temporary guardian. But that did not please the ESUN's judiciary branch. Which was why she was no standing in front of a judge, watching her life be tossed around in the hands of strangers.

Was she prepared for the decision? No. Never. She knew they wouldn't approve of her request for independence from a parent, for the ESUN really wanted someone to keep an eye on her, making sure she didn't manipulate the people to her own desires.

"I am prepared." Was that her voice? Yes, yes it was. It sounded strained though. She cleared her throat.

"It is the decision of this court that you, Relena Darlian-Peacecraft, being a minor and a person still needing to be guided in the ways of this world-"

'Needed to be guided.' She guided the world daily for the past one and a half years.

"-will be placed under the legal guardianship of a citizen of the ESUN. It has been decided by this court that the Noventa family, who were close political allies to the previous Sanc Kingdom, would be the best suited to help you into the world of adulthood. When you reach the age of eighteen you will be allowed to make the decisions of an adult and will be freed from this obligation."

Relena sighed and nodded, "I understand."

Relena Darlian, a key person in the war one and a half years ago and a girl who was admired by many, was now a ward of the Noventa family.

She supposed she wouldn't be seeing much of Heero anymore.