A/N: Yes, another HYxRP. I'll put out other stuff soon! ~ML

"Why did you ask me here?" He asked, the collar of his windbreaker flapping against his chin.

She turned away from the side of the bridge to look at him, drawing her gaze from his slim figure to his deep eyes, and resting finally on the crown of his rumpled hair. The boy before was named Heero Yuy. His clothing was worn. He hadn't shaved in several days. He had been wandering aimlessly for years now, so it was only to be expected.

She let a smile play upon the corners of her mouth, "Why," she mocked lightly, "did you come?"

He didn't reply. She didn't expect him too. Her name was Relena Darlian. She was an excellent observer of human character. It went with her job.

She was also, Heero mused softly to himself, rather pretty. She was not beautiful in the physical sort of way, simply dynamic and compelling. When you stood in her presence, you felt as if the world would stop for her to listen to you.

That's what made her so dangerous.

"Why this bridge of all things?" he finally asked, unnerved by her silence. That was usually his role.

"I wanted a sign, you know. A symbol as to which direction to take in my life. That's why I chased you around so much," Relena finally said, occasionally spitting out the brownish hair that danced in her mouth, teased by the light breeze, "I didn't love you, even have a crush one you." She didn't blush. People who suffer as much as she had suffered don't blush. "That came later." She didn't meet his gaze. She still leaned over the edge of the stone bridge while he stood behind her, fighting the urge to grab her by the waist to make sure she didn't fall.

"You asked me here to tell me that?" Heero asked.

"No," she replied, "I wanted to see if you were still alive. I already knew -I heard you by my window every night- I just wanted to see."

"You weren't supposed to know I was there."

"You know we share a strange connection, Heero. How could I not know?" She retorted, a giggle bubbling her tone and making it sound gentle and even more beautiful.

But there was a catch in her voice, a subtle alteration that deepened and enriched it.

Again, there was no reply.

"I followed you around, I pestered you so much, because I saw some of my passion in your eyes. Something in you sparked and connected with me. That's all." She took a deep breath. He could see her shoulders quiver, "I just wanted to tell you not to waste your life on me if it's not personal. I work so that everyone can lead normal, happy lives. Including you. Don't waste your time on this Earth over nothing."

"Protecting the peacekeeper of the world and each colony is not-"

"Nothing?" She hissed. He wished she would turned around, "What will happen when you're old? Who will lay her head on the pillow beside you? Who will sit on your knee and call you 'Oujii-san?'" she sighed, "That's the kind of life I'm talking about."

Heero's voice was a growl as always, "You know perfectly well that you and I are not meant for such lives, Relena."

She was quiet for a long time. The sun was lowering itself towards the mountains, and the river's sparkling waters grew dark and murky with night's mysteries, "Perhaps you're right, Heero. But doesn't the fact I'm capable of loving you prove you wrong?" She smiled and turned to him, spreading out her palms, "The fact that I put my emotions before the world is evidence enough."

He stepped closer to her. He was always a tactile person, not one who could express himself with words. So when he lifted his hand to her cheek, she leaned into it, yet knew it was not a declaration of love, "No, you put the world first every time. I was a lonely waif, a physical representation of the colonies: mechanical, abused, and angry." He tucked her hair behind her ears, stormy eyes attacking the tranquility of hers, "But you, you were Earth, loving, open, innocent. You felt the pain of the world and bore that pain with such pride and wisdom, no one could harm you; not even me."

"Heero I-"

"But how can the moon love the sun? How can darkness touch light?" She sighed and he went on, "You knew that. I knew that. And yet, somehow, we managed to forget that."

Relena smiled again for him, but with sweet sadness, "I can only wait for the day, Heero, when you realize what a good person you are. Come to me whenever you need to. Your gentle soul is just waiting to be let out."

"Relena," he snarled, eyes dark with repressed emotion, "I could not ask you to wait-"

"Shush! I will wait. It'll take years for you to mend, but when that happens, I will be there. I will always be there."

He left with the darkness of night, but Relena stayed on the bridge a great deal of time longer, watching with longing as the moon dragged itself into the dark blue sky. The cold of night no longer held bitterness for her, only hope.

If Heero had spared a moment to think of his own emotions at that time, he would have also discovered the sudden shift.

That day was approaching. All that was necessary was patience.