^A^It has been over 3 weeks since I posted and I've been receiving knocks on my door. People are wondering if I'm still alive. Well SURPRISE!! JK. ^_^ Yes I'm still here and writing, but didn't I tell you that I'm a snail. I want to say thanks to those who have always been at my side encouraging me and bearing with me. **sweatdrop** Don't worry, I will finish this series if it kills me and I hope you enjoy. ^A^

Standard Disclaimers apply: All the characters in this story belongs to Sun Rise and other companies (not including Mark who is MINE). I do not own Gundam Wing in any way, but this story does, so DON'T COPY. That's plagiarism and illegal. This story is plainly for the reader's enjoyment.

Notes
(           ) - means my thoughts or comments
*          * - means a subconsious level of thinking (more emotional)
words in italics - mean a conscious level of thinking (more logical)


Wings of a Dove

Chapter Eleven: Challenges of Love (sounds like a heartbreaker doesn't it?)
By Pixie^A^
Rated: PG-13



            Nine hearts full of hope and worries raced across the sky. Although uncertainties surrounded the nine mobile suits, a ray of hope shone through. Making the entire sky turn a soft orange. Making their mobile suits and hearts shine brightly in the sky.

            "BRING IT ON!" Duo cried out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

            "Give me the stats" a cold commanding voice demanded.

            "Yes Yes Sir" stammered the man. "Wing Zero has broken through our first line of defence and is currently working through our second one. Our third line of defence is has been notified and is ready."

            "Continue"

            "Yes, well our sensors have picked up nine new unauthorised objects heading this way..."

            "The rest of the crew" the voice whispered in a deadly voice.

            "Yes" the soldier agreed weakly.

            "These are my orders and listen carefully because I will say them only once. I want all available soldiers to go to the 2nd line, including those at the 3rd line. I want them ready to attack everyone but the Wing Zero. I want a clear path to the FP. Don't worry about him I will take care of him."

            "Yes SIR"

            "I want link to the Satellites Centre"

            "Yes SIR"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Relena was in a daze. All she saw was fog: one large, gray, massive surrounding cloud. Slowly, she became aware of herself. Her head screamed in pain, as did her wrists, the centre of the pain that gradually engulf the rest of her body.

            Then she heard something. First barely audible like a gently breeze... uncertain calls, and then it grew until Relena heard the sound clearly. Moans soft horrible moans and growls, but if they were so horrible; why wasn't she scared? Did she have no more fear left? Or was it something else?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Heero blasted his way through a crowd of Caprias, each blowing up the second he passed through them. He didn't see any of it didn't hear any of it. Until there was a faint buzzing noise over his telecom. At first, it was unnoticeable, yet the sound and persistence grew, until finally, he heard the voice.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

            This is Lord and Master Shadow speaking to all All soldiers allow Wing Zero to come through but attack anyone else who passes with all your effort until death stops you. Do not forget the punishment if you don't. Heero. This is my challenge to you. Meet me at the green field to the left of the base Relena will be there. We will finish this once and for all one on one"

            "Can you believe that?!" Duo demanded.

            "Yes. I just heard it with my own ears" Trowa responded.

            "THANKS Trowa, you're SOO much help" Duo snapped back sarcastically.

            "No problem"

            Duo smacked his forehead. **SMACK** "HOPELESS!!!"

            "That means we should get ready to attack their men. You heard Shadow's orders." Sally added.

            "Why would he do such a dumb thing like that? Why not just say his challenge to Heero?" Dorothy frowned.

            No one knew until... "His orders. He demanded that they fight 'til death and said something about the Black Collars oh no" Noin's clear voiced died.

            "What?" Quatre questioned, fearing for the worse.

            "Before I invited all of you the Preventers already had problems with Shadow's men. They wouldn't say anything because of the Black Collars. The last man was going to tell when he was electrocuted to death because of those collars. It was horrible I think that is what Shadow was saying."

            "And why would that concern us?" Wufei frowned.

            "Because that means these people will be fighting against their will to except this fate. To dye by our hands, to run into our weapons because of what lies behind them is more frightening oh Gods."

            "So he's letting us know that if we kill them, we'll become butchers." Dorothy paled.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            "The message was sent out SIR"

            "Excellent"

            "The FP and target is also ready"

            "I will be there bring the Doctor too"

            "Yes SIR!" The soldier there stood tall until the monster left. Once he did, the soldier breathed a sigh. "What I wouldn't do to get out of this Hell." He whispered recalling what had happened to those who were punished rather then fooled by the Black Collars.

            Uncomfortably, he tugged on his own. The punishment was 5 days in the Punishment Room. To be strapped to a chair and be asked a billion of questions. At first, all the questions will be impossible to answer. For each incorrect answer, the person would receive a shock, higher than the one before. For four and a half days, this would continue. The person would be starved, having no sleep, suffer from shock as well as have terrible burns. The last twelve hours would be about loyalty. Questions of pledge. Any soldier would be willing to say yes then. Anything to avoid the pain.

            Sudden death sounded like paradise compared to that.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            Heero watched as the Caprais slowed their attack and cleared a path he frowned. Not that he was complaining at the state of the situation. This was the fastest way to Relena.

            Relena. She was alive. Shadow might have not said that, but he proved it. Why fight over a dead body? Something lifted inside him. Hope? Whatever it was, the burden on his shoulders and chest lifted, and he took a deep breath. Only to find himself choking. Heero blinked in surprised. He hadn't known he had been holding his breath the entire time Shadow's message was on. Hanging on to every word that some how related back to her. To Relena. He was finally able to admit it.

            He blasted onwards

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            "I don't wanna fight" a soft whisper came.

            "Shhh!! Don't let Shadow hear that!"

            "I'm sick of it I want this Black Collar OFF!!"

            "Shut UP! If you don't, he'll hear! Besides we ALL don't want to die. If you HAD to choose who would you pick? The Gundams or Shadow for death?"

            "Gundams" there was a shiver.

            "Then fight, there is no other choice"

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            The battle had began Caprias vs Gundams and Obterians but there was something different. None wanted to fight, though the Gundams and Obterians were holding their own, they felt weak. They felt like every person they killed was just being slaughtered.

            Just like at the butcher shop, and unknown to them, it weakened their resolve to fight. So slowly the wheels began to turn and they were out for a battle that would be no easy walk in the park.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            Heero saw it the field. With 2 small dots and a very large one. He was so close to Relena, he could see her smile again.

            As he got closer he noticed something Relena was hanging on a crane. Her hands were tied together and placed above her head, the rope tying her hands together connected to a crane hanging high above the ground.

            If this made no sense, another sight threw all logic out the window. Heero blinked twice before fact hit his mind. His mind went out of focus as he felt his body freeze. His grip on the control disappeared and Wing Zero went spinning downwards to the earth. Finally crashing to the ground.

            No Heero thought as he tried to get up. It wasn't true Shadow wouldn't have couldn't have. He winced as he unbuckled his seat belt. He opened the hatch to get out of Wing Zero. It just couldn't be It just wouldn't make sense.

            Heero fell out of his Gundam and a few moments after hitting the ground, he struggled to get up. Using the strength in his two arms he looked up. Luke, Shadow or whatever he wanted to call himself was a freak. What had he done? What had he done to Relena?

            She was hanging from the rope unconscious no doubt, wearing red and white clothing. That was normal until you came to realise that she was enveloped by white feathers together forming the wings of an angel.

            Wings she had wings. Heero just froze. What did Shadow do to her?

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            Sally gasped for air. She couldn't do it because every time she killed another Capria, her guilt grew, leaving her weaker when she faced another opponent. This wasn't like her she was not weak. Perhaps Wufei's Justice had rubbed off on her. Where was the justice in killing an opponent who didn't want to be placed in the battle in the first place? It just wasn't right, it was like killing civilians.

            Mediator extended her two arms destroying two more Caprias who had gotten too close. Sally closed her eyes as she heard the two men scream before the fires licked their suits and bodies hungrily. Death unnecessary death was all around.

            Sally felt warm tears quietly pour down her face.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            Heero stood up coldly and stared at the two figures close by. One was an old man. white doctor's coat and chains. He didn't seem like the suspect. The man in the black cloak beside him did.

            He was grinning evilly. "Well, well. You must be Heero. Do you like my new version of Relena?"

            Heero restrained the urge to leap upon the man and rip his throat out. "You must be Luke Marshall." adding the venom he usually saved for the worst of enemies.

            "Yes, well I am no longer Luke, but then again. You already know that, don't you?"

            "You b*stard. What did you do to her?" Heero began to walk towards the monster. What did that monster do to her? Were there any words to explain? How much pain did she feel? How much pain was she still feeling?

            "I didn't do anything, Doctor O did it all with my **chuckle** support." Shadow pulled his lips back to show his teeth, making a soft noise a distinct hissing noise. "Quite a pretty thing won't you agree? Now she can actually live up to her name."

            Keep talking. Just wait until I'm close enough to... Suddenly Shadow's face, mostly hidden in his black cloak, came into the light and into focus. Heero frowned as he looked at the face. His eyes had a strange tint of red. Heero stopped walking and stared. That looks familiar Suddenly Heero laughed.

            The Shadow frowned. What was HE laughing at? "What's so funny?!!"

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            Catherine whipped another pair of blades at her opponent as he had carelessly gotten to close with an empty gun. Down. Cathy wiped her brow with the back of her hand wearily. There was SO many of them how was she going to keep this up? She flew over to the dead Capria and picked up her blades. Her entire life was about knives, blades, and swords. Anything that could easily pierce through the thin layer of skin to the river of blood that would gush forward.

            They were used for cooking, and entertaining. Did not people have death wish? They found excitement in her use of darts and knives. There were some that ran into battle wishing for death. Call her a genie in a bottle, because she granted their death wish. Got them close to death, excited them killed them.

            However the black collars changed all that. She was fighting people who didn't want to die, but she killed them anyways because they were there. In her way. This wasn't granting wishes. It wasn't even fighting as everyone who died, died without purpose. This was slaughter.

            "How many dead?" she commanded of Death Blade. An electronic voice responded back.

            "23"

            "How many to start with?"

            "From viewing point dividing by 9, you had 87 to kill. Now 64 left" Gods, 64? She would be the murderer of 64 more people? She would have to kill 87 people who didn't want to die? How much longer could she keep this up? How would she ever erase the guilt?

            "Just breathe" a calm voice interrupted her thoughts. It was a command, no doubt. But that voice hid many emotions. Emotions seemed to slide off his mask. Yet Catherine found comfort. She closed her eyes, knowing it would be ok for a second and breathed deeply.

            "I'm here whatever happens, I'm here. I'm here Cathy"

            Catherine smiled at the childhood nickname. "Thank you. Thank you so much, Trowa."

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            "What's so funny?!!" demanded the Shadow. Heero stopped and grinned evilly.

            "That"

            "What?!" Heero pointed at his face.

            "Your nose. *She* broke it didn't she" it was a statement. Shadow turned a deep red.

            "You taught her didn't you" a shadow passed over his face. Unexpectedly he changed to a thoughtful look. "I like a woman who puts up a fight."

            Heero's dark mask fell across his face. "Your challenge..."

            "Oh yes, I forgot about that for a second. We will have a battle, you and I. Whoever cries out mercy loses understand? If you win you get Relena in one piece, I tell my soldiers to back off and hand over their suits. If I win I get Relena, all your Gundams and Obterians and you back off" he trailed off.

            "And?"

            "And?" Shadow repeated and slowly grinned. "Oh yes it will be timed by a clock in this little remote right here" Shadow withdrew a black controller from his cloak and grinned. Heero frowned. The Shadow smirked. "Wait there's more" Shadow held out a small device and pressed a button.

            BEEP. Heero felt the ground tremble. It was all a trap! An impossible to defeat challenge. *You're speciality* Heero almost grinned.

            Shadow rubbed his hands together. "Things are just getting good now." To Heero's amazement, the grass beneath Relena began to separate. Slowly a first, and gradually turned into a smooth pace giving way to a deep circle-shaped metal pit.

            Probably a connection to their base the Perfect Soldier cued in. Yes probably.

            "This is the FP. A short form for Field Pit. Notice how the walls are made of gundamium alloy. It is necessary, for our most special element."

            Heero heard another beep -the remote no doubt. Silence. Heero frowned. Was that moaning?? Heero edged closer to the pit there were 3 doors that were open in the 25-feet deep pit. Heero strained his ears the noise. Whatever it was, it was getting louder. Closer.

            There was a sudden roaring as gray masses charged out of the doors with wild red eyes. Heero gasped. What was this?! "By the Gods" Heero for once in his life felt ill.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            Duo raised his scythe slicing his enemy cleanly in half. Behind him, covering his back was Hilde in Night Wing.

            "This is CRAZY!!" he called over the telecom.

            "Have a better solution?! I'll LOVE to hear it" came the tired out of breath reply. Duo bit his tongue. He didn't have a better solution. But still

            "Heero might be needing our help!! I can't leave him to fight that lunatic alone!!" For heaven sakes Hilde understand. He's my friend. I need to be there for him.

            "Duo, Heero will be FINE. You heard Shadow's challenge. ONE on ONE. Besides, we need your help. **pause** I need you to cover my back too!"

            Duo grinned wolfishly. "You're right baby... well then I won't go. Heero is a big boy. Oh by the way Hilde, did you just ADMIT that you need help from the Great and Mighty Shinigami??? Oh my GOSH!!"

            "Shut up baka and watch your head!!!" Deathscythe ducked just in time. "You baka..."

            "Love you too Hilde"

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            Heero stared at the pit with horror.

            Inside the pit was approximately 20 live creatures. The explanation ended there. What *were* they? They were larger than any normal human being some covered with feather, some with fur, some with spikes, most had all three. Many were multicoloured with shades of gray mixed in. All were some type of split between human and many other creatures all at once.

            All had red eyes and all looked raving mad, clawing at the walls, climbing over each other, fighting at times. Heero took a step back. This little movement got the attention of all the monsters. They turned to him, and in a blink of an eye, began to claw at his side of the pit.

            "What ARE they?!!" Heero said clearly disgusted.

            Shadow grinned. "Humans or at least they use to be. Now they're just mistakes from the experiment. Now aren't you glad that Relena wasn't the first test?"

            "You're sick"

            "Is that suppose to mean anything? Because it doesn't. You have to defeat me before the candle burns threw the rope and Relena drops into the Pit with those beasts"

            Heero turned to the Shadow. "You wouldn't"

            "Yes I would. Her alive or dead doesn't matter to me. If she dies, you lose don't you? (whether she's alive or dead, it doesn't matter.)Though I prefer her to be alive, all I need her for is the symbol of our New World. Dead or alive." "Yes I would. Her alive or dead doesn't matter to me. If she dies, you lose don't you? Whether she's alive or dead, it doesn't matter to me, though I prefer her to be alive, all I need her for is the symbol for the start of our New World." Shadow clapped his hands together. "There you have it Heero Yuy. That's the challenge. A fight. No weapons... nothing. Just you and me. So are you ready?"

            Heero didn't answer back. It saved energy, and his silence usually made his opponent nervous.

            "Ready" Shadow began. "Set" Shadow grinned evilly at Heero. He dropped his voice to a menacing whispered. **BEEP**

            The Doctor eyes widen as the two young men leaped at each other. This was going to be some battle, a deadly battle, and there was nothing he could do. He was stuck where he was because of the Black Collar. He could perhaps do something against Shadow's wishes, yet how long would he get away with it and be electrocuted to death? What good would a dead Doctor be?

            Suddenly the load growls reached his ears. The Doctor looked from the battle of Shadow and Heero and looked at the pit. The pit seemed to be less monstrous. At least they only fought because it had become their nature to survive. To kill or be killed.

            But Shadow's battle? What was it for?

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

            Dorothy wiped the sweat from her brow. "How many more?" she asked with a raspy voice as her Obterian blew out liquid nitrogen that froze the enemy on contact. An equally tired out voice answered.

            "30 or more" Dorothy bit her lip. At the rate they were fighting at, and the condition they were in, they wouldn't make it. She looked down to her hands. They were red from the constant strain. They were ice cold and trembling. In fact, her entire body was trembling with the burden.

            "We're not going to make it unless there happens to be a miracle" She answered back in a 'matter-of-fact' voice.

            "This is the second best way to die"

            "Quatre?"

            "I'm just saying what you would say. I rather die then fight like this but I rather fight then to give up and retreat, for Relena. We both have points, but neither needs all this fighting. This is a pointless battle with no meaning. Only pain and death."

            "Yes." Dorothy whispered. "Quatre?"

            "Yes?"

            Dorothy secretly blushed. "If there is another life after this one will you find me?"

            "If it takes that life time and another" A promise that would be kept. Dorothy nodded and froze another enemy. A promise she could count on.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

            This was no fight, it was more like a tumble. They had each other in such a lock that neither would be able to exchange a decent blow or kick. It wasn't boxing, nor honourable fight - it was an animal's fight. Doctor O turned his head away.

            Heero grunted frustrated. This was pathetic. He groined Shadow hard. This let the tight grip on his hands loosen. Good. Heero blinked angrily, and quickly stepped on Shadow's feet, breaking his nose for the second time today all at once.

            "YOU @$*&!~&#%!!" Shadow swore as blood poured down his face. Heero didn't answer. Just steady himself for Shadow's launch at him. It came, Heero ran swiftly underneath the lung, bring his fist in and up Shadow's stomach, knocking the breath out of him. Shadow fell to his hands and knees, coughing. Gasping for air.

            Heero stepped closer ready to finish the match when he stopped. The black cloak trembled with the evil laughter. Was Shadow laughing?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Sally ached everywhere, not that she was going to admit it. Especially if Wufei was nearby. She lifted and passed through a split up enemy. How many had she already killed? How many to go? Sally shook her head as she felt her strength slip through her fingers. Sally looked around. No one was paying attention to her right now.

            Sally quickly released the control and cradled her hands. They were trembling and were in extreme pain.

            "SALLY!!! WATCH OUT!!!" Sally looked up and froze. A Capria raised his gun and Sally closed her eyes. Nothing happened as she heard the sound of gunshots. Sally snapped open her eyes and gasped.

            In front of her was Shelong, protecting her, taking the blasts. Wufei growled angrily, extending his gundam's arms, stabbing the Capria making it explode. Sally breathed deeply and grabbed her controls again. But victory was short lived as Shelong when to its knees.

            "Wufei?" Sally whispered to him as she heard quiet curses over the telecom.

            "Stupid onna not moving out of the way" she heard him responded a bit louder. Sally shut up. "Malfunction in the knees" he continued, "Back up available. Shifting articulate-" Wufei muttered angrily. Stupid onna. She could have gotten herself killed

            Angrily, he fixed his "knee" problem, unaware of his surroundings.

            Sally looked up from Shelong and paled. Six Caprias had taken noticed of him and were gathering around. Wufei was helpless, for once.

            "Wufei?" she whispered.

            "Shut up ONNA! Didn't you cause enough problems already? You almost got killed back there!" Sally grinned shakily. That was the best show of emotion yet. Mediator got up and around Shelong, blocking him from view of the Caprias - protecting him.

            "Do YourWorst" she whispered.

            "HUH?! What are you walking about Onna?!" Wufei cried with frustration. "You're blocking my view too!" Suddenly Wufei was cut short. He noticed something strange. In the corner of his main monitor, though occupied mostly by Mediator, there was a distinct yellow colour. Capria.

            "SALLY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!!"

            "Protecting you," came the soft reply. "My love" There was a sad laugh before Wufei realised that she had disconnected her telecom to him.

            Wufei began to panic, his "knees" were still not functional. Wufei un-strapped himself and leaped to the monitor, "SALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


tbc




^A^ Will I survive if I laugh at you guys? Of course I'm joking. Hehehehehe, Sable this ending if for you. :p I always hated those 3 letters, now YOU must suffer!! Muhahahahah!!! **pixie is obviously enjoying this** Just playing with ya. Chapter 12? Where? Where? Me don't see it. I guess no Chapter 12 yet. ^_^ One last thing, please do email!! pixie_angel_girl@hotmail.com. You know the saying, blackmail if no email. Hehehe Bibi for now! OOOOOOo, XXXXXXx and Cookies ~Pixie^A^