^A^ I know, I know! **hands up in mercy** It's been so long since I posted but I have a REALLY good reason this time. **some people plug their ears** HMFP!! Well I'm sure a lot of you will understand anyways. It's that time again: E - X - A - M - S. Enough said. ^_^ Lack of sleep, stressed, no time, grrrrrrrr. I don't believe that I will post any more until they are over but you can always cross your fingers. **crosses all her fingers and toes** In the mean time, enjoy this chapter and please don't flame me. Thanks!! ^A^

Standard Disclaimers apply: All the characters that you recognise in this story belongs to Sun Rise and other companies. I do not own Gundam Wing in any way, but this story does, so DON'T COPY. That's plagiarism and illegal. This story is plainly for the reader's enjoyment.

Notes
*          * - means a subconsious level of thinking (more emotional)
words in italics - mean a conscious level of thinking (more logical)


Wings of A Dove

Chapter 13: and what You are Not
By: Pixie^A^
Rated: PG-13


            "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!"

            Heero watched in horror, his arm stretched out as the rope that held Relena loosened, plunging Relena into the pit. His eyes widen as he saw her falling, only to hear a thud as she hit the bottom of the pit.

            **Crack** The fall had broke a bone if not more. In seconds her body was covered with other gray, brown and black bodies. Heero turned away feeling the tears form at the back of his eyes.

            "No." He muttered, making fists with his hands. "NO!" hitting the crane making it rattle. This couldn't be happening. Fate couldn't do this. *Why not?* Shut up just SHUT UP!

            There was an arising sound of growls, moans and snarls. A long howl rose into the air, climbing from the soft notes of rolling thunder to the highest pitches of the wind. Heero hit the crane again with a pained expression on his face. He closed his eyes tightly trying to block the sounds, trying to blink away the tears that continued to run down his face. "No, no, no, no"

            "HEERO!! LOOK!!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            "Thank the Gods that's over" Duo grinned. "I think we can be called experts on these hopeless battles"

            "I guess you're not the God of Death, if YOU'RE thanking the Gods," a sarcastic voice came over the telecom.

            "Hilde, if you're kidding-" There was a burst of laughter of the telecom.

            "No comment"

            "HILDE!!" Duo whined, "Shouldn't we go to help Heero?" Duo suddenly spoke out, thinking of his best buddy.

            There was a collective sigh. "Duo, he's a big boy," Hilde began slowly as if she was going to spell out each word letter by letter. Trowa interrupted her by finishing the obvious to everyone (but Duo).

            "He can take care of himself"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Heero slowly pried open his eyes. What now? Blurry images reluctantly took form as a suspicious moisture that formed in his eyes dropped away. Suddenly he gasped deeply clearing his eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Relena cried out in pain through the gray fog as the sense of weightless was replaced by shocking solidity that hit both wings badly. One was broken for sure as well as an elbow. The cry seemed to cut the fog in two, pushing it away. The dull sense of agony slowly crept towards her back from her wings awaking her to the real world.

            Something else entered the space that the gray cloud was leaving. Large bodies. Warm, and sniffing her. Worried about her. An incredible sense of familiarity and comfort surrounded her though the obvious sounds were quite the opposite. Relena strained her ears, once again trying to make each growl and moan into single ringing tones.

            WAKE             UP             UP!             UP!!!

            Relena felt herself being pulled through layers of mud to the waken world. Her eyes fluttered open. Huh? Suddenly she opened her mouth in a piercing scream.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            RELENA!! Heero's eyes widen as he heard the unmistakable scream from within the pit. But how?!!!! **Does it matter?** BUT **She's still alive, fool. Act!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Relena suddenly felt a single furry finger over her mouth and she silenced. Sweat pooled down her forehead, as she looked at these monsters that only the devil could imagine up.

            Are you ok? Relena's eyes grew in round wonder. "How on earth"

            Where these creatures really the ones that were speaking to her all this time? How as this possible?!! Suddenly it clicked. They were speaking to her just like the cats through the glass. She had talked to the cats, why not these creatures as well? And all this happened right after the splicing.

            So the splicing had more of an effect that she could have ever imagined, Relena realised, feeling both terror and wonder.

            **Flashback**

            "Amazing you just have proved an amazing concept." Doctor O's voice said in astonishment.

            **End of Flashback**

            She did? Was being able to communicate with all animals really that amazing? No. It was all because of the splicing.

            "Yes" Yes, I'm fine The horrible noises quieted down turning to mental smiles and filling her with a warm fuzzy feeling.

            I have proved that there is a world where animals can understand each other!! Relena's mouth rounded in awe as she comprehended this, when something interrupted her. She heard a loud *THUD*, followed by an uproar of howls.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Heero couldn't believe it. They devoured Shadow, yet they hadn't touched Relena. Dazed and unsure of what to do, he stood there, confused until he heard her screams. Without thinking, he stood from the crane and did the most stupid thing he could have done. Jump into the pit. **Thud**

            Heero crouched low to the ground, as he slowly lifted his head. Stupid you didn't even analysed the situation. ** If this was the result of acting on my emotions, I won't be alive for long.** If these was the results of acting on your emotions, he wouldn't be alive for long.

            Heero frowned. Strange. The beasts had moved out of his way, making him land hard on the gundamium floor pit.

            The Perfect Soldier looked around scrutinising the situation, getting to his knees. He noticed something right away. They've surrounded me. Over in the corner was a red ugly mess: Shadow and in the centre where Relena's body fell, he realised something else. They're PROTECTING her!!. Straightening slightly at this, only to find some large heavy body attack him from behind, biting him hard on his neck.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Relena eyes searched for the noise. Yet the bodies of these creatures blocked her view. What was going on? She felt the heavy pressure of protection. They're protecting me!! Yet from what?

            Princess A gruff voice came into her mind. We protect you because you are one of us. We all are living creatures. Notoriously abused living creatures. In such times, we must help even our natural enemies. For in the end, we depend and help each other survive. Relena looked up at the speaker. It was female, with large round yellow eyes of an owl, and claws. Yet her body didn't match, a mixture of bear fur and with large smooth patches of scales here and there.

            Suddenly she heard a pained grunt.

            Wait a second that sounds like-- "HEERO!!!!!!!!! STOP!!! STOP IT!!!" STOP!!! Her mind cried out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Heero grunted painfully, as he felt several large teeth pierce the layer of skin. There was a cry, but he heard none of it. The weight on his back, and the pain occupied his entire mind, and he fell to his knees. Heero closed his eyes, feeling the warm blood trickle down his neck. So much blood. Too much. For once in his life, Heero stopped fighting, stopped any struggle and fell flat to the ground. Life was cruel and cheap. Relena I'm sorry--

            The weight on his back lightened, then disappearing. The Perfect Soldier's first emotion was confusion. What was this? Was he dead and being lifted off? No. It couldn't be. He still felt the dribble of blood and the pain that made him wince. Yet how did he know what death felt like

            **Flashback**

            "So, how does it feel to die?"

            "Don't try it, because it hurts like hell." He responded back dryly. There was a short laugh.

            **End of Flashback**

            Maybe I am dead **You're scared** What?!! What could I be scared of? Heero thought angrily. **Why won't you open your eyes then? Scared of what you might see?** If I'm dead, what is there to see? **You act so knowingly but you don't. How do you know you are dead?**

            I do-- Not. He didn't and he knew he was scared. Scared to face the reality that maybe he really was dead or maybe still alive. He didn't know which.

            Soft cries finally reached his ears and he recognised them. **Relena** RELENA?!! Heero groaned to himself as he forced his eyes to open. Blurry images greeted him, until they slowly took form. The beasts surrounded him, all were staring at him. Frozen like. If this wasn't dumbfounding enough, the beasts made a path to a fallen form. Relena.

            "Relena" Heero whispered to himself, rising to his feet. The blood made him feel light on his feet as he stumbled his way down the path to her. His heart pounded loudly in his ears as he staggered to her side, falling to her side.

            "Heero"

            She looked up at me with those big blue eyes. How can I explain how much that one word meant to me. The acknowledgement it gave. The forgiveness. Everything as her large eyes just swallowed me up, surrounding me with warmth. **Thank you Heero for coming. And yes I have forgiven you.**

            He gently picked her up trying not to tremble when doing so. Carefully he held her trying to not disturb a broken wing and elbow as much as possible. Finally he was holding her. "Relena... I'm so sorry."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            "ONNA!!" Sally winced. She was going to get it now, wasn't she? "Come out of that suit immediately!!"

            "Wufei, this suit is called Mediator and my name is Sally." She shot back rebellious at the treatment she was receiving. She unlatched the seat belt and opened the door out. Sally didn't have a chance to get out as Wufei had already leaped to the door. Crouching low he laid his patient eyes upon her.

            "What did you think you were doing?" he asked. Unexpectedly, Sally turned red with embarrassment.

            "GEEZ, Wufei. What's your problem?!! I was scared for you in your helpless state so I reacted," She turned her head away from him, "I know it was stupid, but the lease you could do is thank me!"

            There was a soft sigh. "Sally"

            "What did you say?" Turning her head back to him.

            "Sally" Wufei repeated before reaching in the cockpit and grabbing Sally's hair pulling her towards him for an earth-shattering kiss.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            "Hello? Anyone there?" Catherine looked at her telecom. Perfect timing. She quickly turned on her link.

            "Yes Noin. The battle has just finished. We are now collecting the prisoners together."

            "Make sure to check for any civilians."

            "Of course."

            "What about Relena?"

            "Heero was sent over to do battle with Shadow to save her. So far we haven't heard anything from him."

            Noin shook her head smiling. "Well, I'm sure everything is fine. Though I can't say I like this time of waiting. Anyways, the Preventers have finally cleaned up the ship of crewmembers here. Some decided to rebel a bit, but no problems. We will be heading over in a while." Noin threw a look over her shoulder. "Probably a lot sooner than you think. Milliardo is getting itchy here."

            Catherine grinned, "Understood"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Relena painfully looked up at him with swarming emotions. He was here. He was here for her. "Oh Heero" she cried as she grabbed onto the material of his shirt and began to cry.

            Carefully, Heero picked her up surprised at her weight with those two huge wings and looked around. Strange. Those beasts didn't look so scary up close. If possible they even looked sympathetic.

            "I just don't get it" he muttered standing still. He wasn't going to threaten the beasts, the odds were against him and with Relena in his arms, it was mission unattainable.

            "Heero!" Heero turned to find Doctor O at the edge of the pit with obvious delight on his face. "Over here!!"

            Heero glanced at the creatures before moving very slowly to that edge of the pit. Miraculously each one-stepped back out of his way. Heero shook his head at the sudden turn of the events but didn't try to make sense of it.

            How will I get us up? Then he remembered the rope around his waist. Perfect. Putting Relena down for a second, he grabbed the rope and unloosened it, tying one end of the rope around his foot just like Wing Zero cable.

            "Doctor" He threw the other end up over the top of the pit. "Tie it to the crane," he ordered. "I'll climb up."

            "Heero" a small voice asked him. "What are you doing?"

            Heero softened at the voice. Slowly he knelt down to Relena and as gentle as possible explained. "I'm going to climb up. You can't move in your state, I'll get Wing Zero and pick you up. I don't know why but I don't think 'they' will attack you."

            Relena smiled feebly. "I know they won't." Heero looked down at Relena startled but ignored it. This was not the time. Later, Heero promised himself. Later.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            Relena bit her lip as Wing Zero landed with a soft thump in the pit. Amazingly all the creatures at backed off respectively to the machine. With the sounds of turning knobs, Wing Zero reached down and picked her up, holding her carefully in both hands.

            She looked down at the pit. For some reason, she did not see a bunch of mutated creatures, yet something almost acceptable in her eyes. How could she express her gratitude?

            Thank you thank you so very much.

            Go.

            Accept life

            Go.

            "Heero, can we save them as well?"

            Accept death

            Leave us, we wish to end it now

            WHAT?! she cried out. You wish to die?! Instantly she understood. All this time they had repeated the same message to her over and over again because they knew. They knew their coming choice and what their decision would be. Yet still grieve hung over Relena. Why? Why won't you give yourself a chance?

            Accept chaos and order

            For they have always been, always together. Never more one than the other for balance is what this entire world is about. For we are too full of chaos, it is not fitting in life.

            NoIt's not fair. I'm sure that I can--

            And most importantly, accept who you are and what you are not.

            You are only one soul with one purpose. It might take a lifetime to find that purpose, but do not lie and mislead yourself. It will take down a road with no meaning and no end. You are not God. This is our decision.

            Is there anything I can do?

            Yes one thing. Save those who are inside the building. They are balanced, they should live.

            "Heero?" she whimpered sadly.

            "Hm?"

            "There are other creatures inside that building" Relena explained pointing in the correcting direction. "We have to save them. As for the one in the pit, we will not save them. Please" Relena felt warm tears roll down her face, "Please end their pain."

            Heero looked through the monitor to Relena. A ripping emotion gripped him as he slowly replied. "Favour Accepted."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            "Everyone. Shadow is dead. I got Relena. She's fine but needs medical attention. Noin, bring some paramedics and have some large rooms with blankets, and water available. Gundams report to the black building North and retrieve prisoners. Note that they have been changed by Shadow, so Duo - don't gawk. Obterians, I believe that you are taking care of the prisoners. Keep an eye on them though there is doubt that they will actually rebel. Doctor O has been found and is fine. Signing out."

            "GAWK?!! Did he say that *I* gawk?!!"

            "Hm lets see. Heero said and I quote 'Note that they have been changed by Shadow, so- DUO - don't GAWK.' Need that to be any clearer?" Dorothy smirked.

            "No that's quite fine. I heard you perfectly," muttered Duo.

            "WHAT DID HEERO SAY ABOUT RELENA?!!!" Milliardo suddenly roared over the telecom forcing everyone to lower the volume on it.

            "MILLIARDO, stop it!" Noin's voice ordered. The Obterian and Gundam pilots quieted listening to the brawl.

            "Give me the telecom!! When I get my hands on Heero, I'll-"

            "You will do NO such thing. Now give me that or else!"

            "You heard him too!! Relena-"

            "Zeches" there was a warning tone in Noin's voice. "Give me the telecom." There was a pause. "Thank you. Pilots, we will be arriving in about half an hour as we have increased our speed. We will meet you at your current location."

            "In any case," Dorothy chuckled, "We got things under control here, so you Gundams better go collect those captured civilians."

            "Dorothy?"

            Dorothy blushed and turned to Sandrock. "Yes?"

            "Take care,"

            "Quatre, I'll be fine! I can fully take care of myself."

            "I know that."

            "Then why did you bother saying it?!"

            "Just to make sure you know that I care, Dorothy."

            "Quatre" There was a long pause.

            "Dorothy?" Quatre paused, then suddenly blurted it out "Will-- Will you marry me?"

            "WHAT?!!"

            "I was meaning to ask you at Relena's birthday party. I--" Quatre fumbled over his words. Why couldn't he say it right? He had been meaning to say it for so long, looking for the right moment. Then suddenly everything was spoiled in seconds as he spilled it all out. "I had gotten the ring a while ago, it was the one we saw in the gallery"

            Dorothy gasped as Quatre showed her the ring he had gotten for her over the monitor.

            **Flashback**

            "And here are the three famous sapphires known as Blue Orbs, cut out during the 16th century. They are worth millions as it said to be cut of from La Coeur de la Mer or the Sea's Heart. The largest most beautiful sapphire in the world or as legend has it. The story goes that the Sea's Heart was broken went the River God tries to give it to the Goddess of the Earth for her hand in marriage. She had refused him afraid of admitting her love. The sapphire broke into several pieces making our oceans, lakes and ponds. Yet the God's love was eternal and that is was some of the pieces still remain in tack as we see before us." The tour guide walked to the next exhibit, leading the small crowd. How such a small man was able to walk and drone was quite a talent Dorothy decided finally tired of playing follow the leader.

            Dorothy stared at the sapphires, three in total. One was the size of a golf ball, another a large gumball and the smallest, the size of a miniature marble. Why was she here again? Oh yeah, because Quatre had asked her to go with him to the museum. The so-called most famous museum in outer space. Yet no matter what the location, she hated museums with a passion yet she hadn't wanted to be alone Dorothy sighed.

            "Dorothy, is something wrong?" D*mn him, he read her too easily.

            "No. Nothing, I was just thinking."

            "Thinking about what?"

            Think, think, THINK!!

            "It's pretty isn't it?" Indicating to the sapphires.

            "Yes, but you never struck me as the materialistic person"

            "Hmpf! I'm not!!"

            "It's a beautiful legend though, isn't it?"

            "It's a legend Quatre. It's probably just another old wives tale." Dorothy muttered turning her head away.

            "Dorothy"

            Dorothy felt two fingers gingerly take her chin and turn her face to him. When her eyes contacted his, she wanted to melt. He had such beautiful eyes, that endless pool of blue.

            "The story doesn't have to be true, its feeling does. I know that the chances are really high that I will never reach your standards for I am a mere mortal, but I hope you know that I would lay my life for yours." Quatre stared at her intently.

            Dorothy blushed but was determined to return Quatre's stare. Why did he have to say all that stuff? Why did she feel so weak when he said it? It was just stupid nonsense. It was

            "You're not the same person from the war Dorothy. I see it in your eyes. You don't want to be alone or as independent as before. You will always hold those traits but"

            Dorothy couldn't stand it anymore and looked away, fully embarrassed. Everything he said was right. Who have him the d*mn right to be so accurate? Precise? Prefect? She loathed him for it, yet-

            "Don't turn away from me, Dorothy." With that, Quatre laid a soft kiss on her forehead, "Don't make history repeat itself"

            **End of Flashback**

            "Oh, Quatre" Dorothy whispered with a tenderness that made Quatre's heart thumped loudly.



            ^A^ You hate me now, don't you? Admit it! JK. Well I hope you have enjoyed the chapter and don't bash me too much for the cliche ending. *hides* ^_^ Remember blackmail if no email. **grins** I know that this tradition is getting sickening, but it's tradition! Hehehehehe. pixie_angel_girl@hotmail.com. See ya later! OOOOOOOOOO, XXXXXXXXXx and Cookies ~Pixie^A^