Disclaimer: I just borrowed the characters from Gundam Wing. I dont own anything here except maybe the plot.

A. N. Both "Where my heart lies" stories are standalone pieces. You dont have to read the other to understand this one. But if you want to grasp the whole picture and you're curious enough to know what's going on inside Heero and Relena's heads, then go ahead and read both. If you ask me, I'll like it better if you read both :). For comments, suggestions, flames or reviews, you can email me at raizenheero@aol.com


Where my heart lies: Heero
by Neesah




Heero hurriedly parked his rental car and ran towards the Palace. He's late. Very late. He didn't expect his interview would take that long. He thought that it'll be a snap since he's been working there part-time for the last 5 years and he's been the best programmer there even in his young age. What else do you expect from the Perfect Soldier? But no. The President insisted on interviewing him personally, welcoming him not as one of the in-house programmers but the new Director of IT, though he just recently graduated from college. Well, he's not the one to complain. He smirked as he remembered how the President tried to make small talk with him. He never liked small talks. He always had kept to himself, silent, just blending in the shadows and observing, talking only when the need arises. He would rather keep his mouth shut than be involved in an endless stream of useless, senseless chatter. Talking to him has always been as hard as fighting Gundams, as tedious as pulling teeth and as frustrating as talking to a wall. Only a few people know the trick how to elicit a response from him or make him smile a little (which always come out as a smirk if it's not HER making him smile).

HER. He smiled as he gently touched the gift hidden in his trouser pocket. I hope she likes it, he thought to himself. He quickened his pace. Aside from his interview, this gift is another cause of his tardiness. For some quirk in nature, there was a delay in his order so he has to wait for it all day, making him miss his flight. Then he has to wait 2 more hours for the next shuttle that will take him to Earth. But now that he's here, all he could think of is her. It'll be all worth it, the waiting, the worrying, the agonizing when he gives her the gift and sees the look on her face.

He rang the doorbell. The butler opened the door for him and led him inside the Grand Ballroom of the Peacecraft Palace. Heero just stood there and surveyed the crowd. He saw Zechs, Noin and Lady Une talking to some dignitaries. Duo and Hilde, Quatre and Dorothy are in the middle of the dancefloor, dancing. Sally and Catherine are sitting at their table, talking while Wufei is sitting beside Sally looking bored. Trowa is standing by the window near their table as if watching something. He scanned the room again. Where is she? He then saw her two bodyguards at the far corner of the room. He went to them and asked, "Where's Relena?"

"She's in the ladies' room, Mr. Yuy."

"Hn." Heero started to go when a hand stopped him.

"Hi. Want to dance?" the young lady asked. She's about his age, with curly brown hair and sparkling green eyes. She really is quite a looker.

"No," Heero said flatly. He then started to go to the opposite end of the room. As he walked, he could feel admiring glances and whispers from the ladies he passed by even without using his heightened senses. He just can't understand why girls seem to be drawn to him, always flocking him everywhere he goes. It's not flattering in any sense. It's really very irritating and uncomfortable. He doesn't know what they see in him --- he's cold, anti-social, callous and he's an assassin for Christ's sake (not that they know really). He doesn't hate girls, he doesn't even care enough to hate girls in general. He just doesn't look at them that way. Besides, he only has eyes for one girl. Heero shook his head. No, a woman now. She turned 21 today.

He decided to stand at a dark corner where nobody can see him but he could clearly see everyone entering and leaving the ballroom. He's waiting for her, his blue-eyed, golden-haired angel. It's very funny really, the way things turned out to be. Who would have known that the Perfect Soldier would fall for the Pacifist Princess? For all he knows, it never occurred to anyone, especially to him, that this is where everything is headed. Or did it? If you can call threatening a girl to kill her but didn't and instead saved her life many times as an unusual kind of courtship, then maybe everyone had expected this.

He smiled as he remembered the first time they met. He was sprawled on the beach, lying face down, unconscious. When he opened his eyes, the first thing that registered to his mind was those sky blue eyes of hers full of concern, peering down on him. But she has seen him, she's now an obstacle to his mission so she must be eliminated. He had several chances and made several attempts but he never did kill her. He couldn't kill her. In those days, he was baffled. He's a trained assassin, the very best, the Perfect Soldier. How come he couldn't kill one helpless girl? The answer came to him eventually. And he accepted it without question. He has always believed that it's ok for humans to act on their emotions.

Many people believe that he's devoid of all emotions and that he's a hypocrite for preaching that it's ok to act on one's emotion to Trowa. But the truth of the matter was, all of his life, he acted on his emotions, his instincts, his gut-feeling or whatever else it is called. He's the Perfect Soldier, true, but when his logic conflicts with his emotions, he follows his emotions. That's why even when he knew that he has to kill Relena in order to protect his anonymity, he didn't because there is something inside him telling him not to. His emotions told him to finish Odin Lowe'a final mission, made him choose to protect the Vice Foreign Minister Darlian instead of assassinating him, made him accept Dr. J's offer to pilot a Gundam [All of these are from Episode Zero] and made him bury Mary, the dog he accidentally killed. Also, his emotions prompted him to save the New Edwards base in the behest of Sally, to ask Marshall Noventa's family to kill him as payment for what he has done and not to kill Zechs because it will make Relena sad.

Memories came flooding to him. He remembered the first time Relena invited him to her birthday party. He ripped the invitation and that's the first time he saw her cry. He remembered when Relena protected him from Duo even if just moments before that he had threatened to kill her. He remembered when they first danced and when she said that she's going to fight beside him. He remembered her quiet acceptance of his decision to kill her when she became the Queen of the World. And this quiet acceptance of his decision was mirrored again when he destroyed the underground bunker where Dekim is holding her hostage. She's the strongest girl he had ever known. And she never was afraid to die. She never flinched even once for all the times he held his gun in point-blank range at her. And most importantly, she always believed in him. The memory of their last talk in Libra is etched in his heart. It is the time he truly needed something and she gave it to him --- telling him that she believes in him. It's the second time he saw her cry. He's always the reason she cries. She's always so concerned about him, never worrying about herself. He can recall the time he symbolically killed Marimeia then collapsed. Relena rushed to him and caught him in her arms, relieved that finally it is over. He has no need to kill again. She strived hard to maintain peace so that soldiers like him would never have to fight again, so everyone will never experience the pain, suffering, fear and hopelessness war brings.

Come to think of it, the focal point of his life came when he met her. It is only then that he became truly alive. All these years, she has been his beacon, his light. He had spent the entire war trying to die and only at the very end did he realize that he had to survive. For her. He was thankful that he followed his emotions on not fulfilling his promise to kill her. And that's one promise he was happy to break.

Promises meant a lot to him, especially his promises to her. He had made 3 promises to her throughout the years they've known each other. One, the promise that he'll protect her whoever her enemy may be. Two, the promise that he'll never kill again, he doesn't have to anymore. And three, the promise that he'll return to her when the right time comes. He didn't exactly say this last promise outloud, but he silently conveys it to her whenever they're together, which happens only once a year during her birthday bash. They have this unusual arrangement of not communicating with each other. He knows that it's solely his fault. He's the one who didn't initiate contact and Relena just followed his lead, giving him space and respecting his wish for solitude. He can feel that Relena was hurt with this but also understood his need to settle some things first on his own. But he couldn't forget her and he wouldn't miss the one chance when he could hold her in his arms.

Everyone who knew them are curious to what kind of relationship they had. Well to be honest, he doesn't really know too. Sure, he had saved her life, he had almost kissed her on the Libra, he had kissed her on an abandoned colony, he gave her gifts on her birthday and he, consciously or unconsciously, give off signals with romantic undertones to her. But are these sufficient enough reasons to consider them as lovers, or to make her his girlfriend? He hadn't even asked her on a date yet nor told her what he really feels. Actually, it's not that surprising. He's not really an ordinary guy so he doesn't do things in an ordinary way. And he's never been good in expressing his emotions. Acting on them, yes but expressing them in words, no. But there's no question whether or not he loves her. He does. Very much. More than life itself. It's like a flame burning within him, consuming the very fiber of his being, lighting up his soul. He loves her. And only her. Forever.

He looked at his watch. Five minutes have passed since her bodyguards told him that she's in the ladies' room. There's nothing suspicious about that, girls tend to spend a large amount of time in bathrooms afterall. But something tells him that this is an exception. Something is not right.

He noticed that Duo and Hilde, Quatre and Dorothy were done dancing and are now sitting with the rest of the gang. Zechs, Noin and Lady Une are in their table too. He decided that it's time to leave the shadows and join his friends. He's getting anxious to see Relena and they might know where she is.

Duo was the first one among the group to see him approach. "Heero, buddy! You're late. We thought you stood us up," he greeted. There's a collective "Hi, Heero's" that followed Duo's greeting.

Heero just grunted in response then turned his attention to Zechs. "Where's Relena?"

Zechs looked around. "She's here somewhere." Zechs saw Relena's bodyguards. He signaled to them and one came to him. "Kyle, where's my sister?"

"She's still in the ladies' room, sir."

"Ok. Thanks." The bodyguard then went back to join his comrade.

Heero narrowed his eyes. Zechs tensed when he saw Heero's expression. "What? Is something wrong?"

Heero's answer died on his lips when he saw Trowa look at him. Silent understanding passed between the two men.

"Nothing," he answered as he went over to join Trowa by the window. "Trowa," he greeted.

Trowa nodded to him and said in a low voice, "She's in the garden. I saw her sneak out earlier. I didn't follow her coz she might not like it and the area is pretty secure. But just to be on the safe side, I kept watch on her from here. She walked further so I lost her maybe 2-3 minutes ago."

"I'll go look for her. Thanks."

Trowa gave him a half smile then watched him leave.

"Trowa, where is Heero going?" Catherine suddenly asked. Everybody turned to look at him.

"In the garden. He just wanted some fresh air."

 

 

 

************************************

 


Heero started to feel something akin to panic when he couldn't find her. The possibility of her getting hurt or getting killed gnawed on his mind. She's always being targeted but stubborn as she is, she always sneaks out alone, refusing protection. He tried to shrug his fears away. Relena's death will also mean his death. Without her, nothing is holding him back from total darkness and destruction which was his future before she found him, before they found each other. And he wouldn't let anything happen to her while he's still alive. Anyone who dares to hurt her nor touch her in any way, much less try to take her life will pay tenfolds from the wrath of the Perfect Soldier.

These dark thoughts vanished when he finally saw her, standing by the pond. He started to approach her. He froze on his tracks when he heard her speak.

"Heero, where are you?" she said, somewhat desperate. "Tonight is the only time I can see you. You always come to my birthday. Why aren't you here?"

"I'm here, Relena," he answered.

He saw her whirl around to face him. "Heero. You came."

His heart constricted at the sight of her. Gazing at her beautiful blue eyes he said, "Of course. As you said, I always come to your birthday. I wouldn't miss it for the whole world."

"Why were you late? No, you don't need to answer that. It's ok. You're here now. That's all that matters."

He smiled as he heard her words, but still decided to answer her question. "Small complications." His smile disappeared when he remembered that she sneaked out again. "Why are you out here, Relena? Don't you know that it's dangerous to be here alone, especially at night?" he sternly told her.

She just shrugged. "I needed some fresh air."

"Won't they miss you inside? It's your party after all."

"I don't think so. Everyone's enjoying themselves. Most of them are drunk. And I've been only out here for 10 minutes so Milliardo and the others wont panic. Yet."

He didn't answer. He just stared at her. Her golden hair was swept up, curly tendrils framing her face. A tiara rests on the top of her head. Her shoulders where covered by a blue shawl, matching her midnight blue gown. Her gown is simple but elegant, consisting of a tube bodice and a flowing skirt that falls to her ankles. Her face is flushed --- maybe from walking and from the cold air. He saw her look away and stare at the moon's reflection on the water. He noticed that she's holding herself, trembling.

"Cold?" he asked.

"A little." she replied.

Heero's lips twitched up a bit. He knows she's lying. He could clearly see the goosebumps on her arms. He inched forward and wrapped his arms around her, offering her his warmth. He could feel her surprise but it only lasted for a second. She snuggled closer and leaned her head back to his chest. He smiled. They stayed like this for a moment. Holding Relena in his arms really feels so right. He was getting drowsy with contentment that he barely heard Relena ask him a question.

"Heero, How are you?"

"Well," he replied.

"So, what's new about you then?"

"I just graduated from college."

"Really? Congratulations."

"Thanks."

"Do you already have work?"

"Yes. That's why I was late. I had a job interview. "

"Congratulations again. You're really doing great for yourself, Heero."

"Thanks to you."

"How did I get anything to do with it?"

"Because of you, we're living in peace. Because of you, I had a chance to start over, to live a decent life. Because of you, I'm still alive."

"You know that I didn't do all that. Don't give me credit for everything. As a matter of fact, you're the one who saved the world, who won peace for us. Twice. The other Gundam pilots and soldiers had their contributions too. And I couldn't recall even one instant when I save your life. All I did for you was bandage your wounds, call an ambulance, get you in a hospital and catch you before your face hits the floor. You're the one who saved me many times."

He whirled her around to face him. He looked down at her tenderly, never removing his hands on her shoulders. "What I mean is I survived everything and I am still existing today because of you. Because you believed in me."

"I believe in you, Heero. I always did and I always will."

"I know. I believe in you too."

Heero felt an irresistible force draw him to her. He leaned down and saw her eyes widen suddenly then closed as his lips touched hers. His own eyes closed as he savored her lips, letting her know the feelings that he cant seem to express in words.

When they broke apart, she rested her head on his chest, her hands clasped around his neck. Heero wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him, his chin resting on top of her head. This is it. There's no turning back now. He knows that the right time has finally come.

"I love you, Relena."

She looked up at him and smiled. "And I love you, Heero."

His heart soared at her words. Now for Phase II. He held her chin with his fingers as his intense blue eyes gazed into her sky blue ones. "So if I love you and you love me, " he started saying, huskily, "wouldn't it be just right if I ask you to be my wife?"

Relena gasped. He could see that she didn't expect this from him, that she's having trouble believing his words. He tried to help her believe him by channeling his love through his eyes. I love you, Relena. I loved you since the first time I saw you, though I never understood it then. I may have saved your life many times but you managed to save my soul. You're the only reason I survived. And I promise that I will love you forever.

"Yes," he heard her say, almost like a whisper. Her eyes are starting to water and she's trying to hold back her sobs. Then more strongly, "Yes, Heero. I'll be honored to be your wife. I wouldn't wish for anything else."

His heart seemed to burst from its seams. He couldn't express his happiness. He smiled lovingly at her, maybe the brightest smile he had ever produced his entire life. He leaned over and captured her lips once again. He pulled away as he remembered something and took a velvet box out of his trouser pockets. He opened it. Heero could see the tears fell on her face as he slipped the 5-carat diamond engagement ring on her finger, never breaking eye contact. He then kissed her eyes, her face, gently trying to brush her tears away.

"Are you ready to share the good news to everybody?" Heero asked as he wipe the last trace of tears on her face.

"Yeah. I've never been more ready in my whole life," she said, smiling sweetly at him.

Heero offered his arm and Relena took it.

"Well then, let's go back inside. I want to see the reaction on their faces. Especially Zechs' and Duo's. This will be a treat."

Relena giggled. Heero knows that there'll definitely be a scene tonight. It's not that their friends will not be happy for them. They will. He's positive that they've been waiting patiently for the two of them to get together these past years. But he also knows that the most they'll expect from him is to ask her out on a date or maybe just confess his love for her. Him proposing marriage to her is somewhat ludicrous. What kind of idiot would have thought of asking a girl for marriage when technically she's never been his girlfriend nor have gone out with her even once? Well, me, he answered to himself, somewhat sheepishly. Heero firmly believes that their feelings for each other is a sufficient enough reason for them to get married. There's no need for them to go through all those common rituals of courtship anymore.

Before entering, Heero kissed her fiancé one last time. "For Goodluck," he said to her.

"I guessed as much. You're definitely going to need it with my brother."

Heero grimaced. "I know. I can handle him. What I can't handle is Duo's teasing. Im going to get it tonight and tomorrow and the next day and the day after that"

Relena chuckled. "I get it, I get it. He'll tease you for the rest of your life." She then raised an eyebrow. "Do you want to back out?"

"NO!" Heero answered indignantly. Then he smiled and grabbed her hand. "Never. Ready?"

He saw her nod and felt her squeeze his hand. I know that I don't deserve this but whoever is up there, I still thank you. Thank you very much, he silently prayed. Finally, his heart is where it truly lies --- with Relena. He took a deep a breath then proceeded to face the first of their new lives together.