~~ OkayI know a lot of people write about a New Year's Eve Party and blah blah blah. But just work with me here. I had to get romance between certain characters in here, and this was the easiest. I personally think it sucksbut don't be too harsh on me! Be nice, please? Pretty please? <puppy face look> Oh, and this is dedicated to a special friend Alice. She's paired up with the love of her life, Quatre. HAHA! *Sarcastically* You were so helpful, Chris! What would I have done without you? ~~

**** Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing or any of its characters, although I wish I did. This is just for fun so please don't sue me! I'm just a poor high school student! ****

==========================================================

 

A New Year

by: Silver Starr

 

Relena sighed. The maids were running all around the room, trying to get her and Noin ready for the New Year's Eve party. She looked at herself in the mirror. Relena wore a strapless white dress with a bare back. It fell right down to the floor and swirled beautifully as she walked, added the silver lining. And her hair was in a bun with curls coming out of the bun. Usually she wore very conservative clothing, but tonight, her brother had insisted that she wore this dress. Milliardo said that at the age of 18, she should be dating and having fun, not working all the time. So this year, he invited many young men who were sons of the other diplomats, in hopes that Relena would find at least one of them suitable. However, Relena was only interested in a certain boy with unruly hair and Prussian blue eyes. Heero, she thought. She had given Heero's invitation to Duo since he saw Heero once in awhile. But she could only wish that he would come.

"Relena, are you all right? You look like you're in lala land," said Noin, her sister-in-law. Milliardo and Noin had come back to earth a few months ago and gotten married.

Relena smiled. "No, I'm fine. Just thinking about the party and how revealing this dress is."

Noin chuckled. "Your brother really is desperate to marry you off. But I think you've got plenty of time. Come on, it's 8pm and the guests are arriving. We should go meet them." So the two girls walked downstairs to the ballroom. There were already a few people coming in, and Milliardo was standing at the doorway greeting all of them. Relena and Noin walked up to Milliardo. He turned to greet them with a smile.

"Wow. You look stunning Lu. And you too Relena."

Noin blushed and Relena just smiled. As Milliardo and Noin walked off, Relena started to welcome the guests in. After a few minutes, the first face she recognized was that of Quatre Winner. With him was an Asian girl with layered hair down to her shoulders. Relena smiled at the couple.

"Quatre! It's good to see that you made." Quatre came up and gave Relena a friendly hug. "So who's your friend here?" she asked looking at Quatre's partner.

"Relena, this is Alice, I just met her on L4 a month ago. And Alice, this is Relena."

"Miss Relena, an honor to meet you," Alice said.

"Same to you, Alice. Please just call me Relena," Relena replied. "Why don't you two go enjoy yourselves? I'll talk to you two later." The couple nodded and left for the dance floor.

"Hiya 'jousan!" came a friendly voice behind her. Relena turned around to find Duo and his girlfriend, Hilde. She walked up to them and gave both of them a hug.

"Wow! Your house is beautiful! And huge Relena!" exclaimed Hilde. Relena just chuckled.

"I bet you've got lots of food too, 'jousan. Where are the snacks, in the kitOUCH! What was that for Hilde?" cried a Duo rubbing his head.

"Is that all you ever think about, Duo? Food?" exclaimed Hilde? Relena laughed at the two. They made a cute couple.

"So, Duo, did you give the invitation to Heero?" Relena asked with hopes in her eyes.

"Well, yea, I got it to him. But I'm not sure if he's coming."

"Oh." Relena sighed.

"It's okay, Relena, I'm sure he'll come. I bet he wouldn't miss it for the world." Hilde tried to comfort her friend the best she could.

"Thanks Hilde. I appreciate it."

"Come on Hilde! I'm hungry. Let's go get something to eat." Duo dragged an exasperated Hilde to the food. "We'll see you later Relena!"

Relena smiled at the two retreating figures. Same old Duo. I wonder how Hilde puts up with him.

Fifteen minutes later, she heard the sound of grumbling and groaning and a familiar female voice. "Come on Wufei! It's going to be fun!"

Relena looked at a tired Sally dragging an angry Wufei by the arm. "Woman! Let go of me! I know how to walk to the front door!" Then he mumbled something about stupid woman. Sally rolled her eyes.

"Relena! How are you?" asked Sally finally letting Wufei go to give Relena a hug.

"I'm fine. And it looks like you've got your hands full." Sally smiled at Relena's comment.

"It didn't take that much to get him here. Just some rope and masking tape. That's probably why we're late." Sally gave Relena a wink and both girls smirked at Wufei.

"Hn. Whatever woman. You're the one that spent an hour doing your hair." Wufei glared at Sally. Sally just shrugged and dragged a reluctant Wufei to talk to Lady Une who had arrived a few minutes earlier with Mariemaia.

As she watched them go, she heard, "Miss Relena! A pleasure to meet you!" from behind. She turned to see Trowa and two women with him.

"Trowa, good evening. May ask who you have brought with you?" Relena questioned looking at the two girls.

"Relena, this is Catherine, my sister, and Midii, my date." The three girls exchanged handshakes. Seeing Quatre, Trowa nodded to Relena and walked over to him along with Midii. Catherine walked over to a group of young men in one of the corners.

Relena sighed. It was now 8:30 and Heero still had not showed up. There were no more guests coming so she went out to the dance floor. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up of having Heero come, she thought. All of sudden she could see most of the men walking towards. She groaned. Oh no. Here comes all the endless talk about me. One of the young man approached her and asked her to dance. Being her polite self, she couldn't refuse and agreed. After a couple of dances with different people, Quatre and Alice decided to come talk with her to get her out of dancing with all of her suitors.

"Thanks so much. You don't know what it's like to dance with these boys." Relena sighed.

Alice smiled. "It's okay Relena. I'm sure Quatre here will be willing to give up a few dances with me to keep the sharks away from you." She winked at Relena.

"Why don't we go now, Miss Relena? It seems that one of the diplomats is bringing his son to meet you," Quatre replied looking at the advancing figures.

"Oh no. It's Mr. Bourguard, a representative for L1, along with his I'm-the-Most-Handsome-and-Smartest-Man-that-All-Girls-Dig son." Relena gave a fake smile as Mr. Bourguard came up.

"Miss Relena. Pleasure to see you again. I must congratulate you on your speech regarding the dissolving of all mobile suits and other military weapons. Now, you remember my son, Chris." Mr. Bourguard smiled and pushed Chris forward.

"Relena, may I ask to dance with you?" Chris inquired. Relena gave a nervous smiled and gave a slight nod to Quatre.

"Um, I'm sorry, but this dance is already taken. Shall we, Miss Relena?" Quatre held out a hand to Relena. The two walked out to the dance floor. As Relena turned around, she saw a reluctant Alice being led to the dance floor as well by Chris. After a couple of dances with Quatre, the two went back to join Alice.

"I'm sorry Alice that you had to dance with all those other guys." Relena apologized to Alice.

"It's all right. I understand how you feel now. But how do you deal with it at every party?" Alice looked at Relena as if she was crazy to be able to deal with being attractive to all these men.

"Well, you get used to it."

"Poor Relena. Look at all those men drooling all over her." Hilde looked at Relena. Next to her, Hilde heard the sound of a loud munching noise and turned to see Duo stuffing his face with all the food within his reach. "Duo! Stop eating all the food! Can't you do anything else but eat for once?" Hilde looked at Duo with a glare that told him to drop the food, now.

"Gosh hon. I'm sorry if I have such a big appetite. But this food is just great!" Duo wiped his mouth clean and grabbed a glass of wine. "So, what were you saying about Relena?"

Hilde rolled her eyes. "I'm just feeling sorry for Relena. Anyways, did you even deliver the invitation to Heero? Knowing you, she shouldn't have trusted you with it."

"Well, I'm glad you think so highly of my skills," Duo replied sarcastically. "But seriously, I did give it to him, in person too. I asked him if he would come, but he said maybe. I bet you he'll be here before midnight."

Hilde looked at Duo mischievously. "Is that a bet?" Duo grinned and nodded. Hilde smirked, "Your one, mister. Loser pays for all the expenses for our vacation next week."

Relena was now once again trying to avoid all her suitors, engaging herself in discussions with the older diplomats. Getting bored of all the political talked, Relena walked over to the table where Trowa, Quatre, Midii, and Alice were.

"Miss Relena. You should sit down for awhile. You looked extremely tired." Quatre offered the seat next to him.

"Thank you Quatre. I'm getting tired and annoyed at all the guys trying to ask me to dance. All they talk about is how stunning I look and congratulate me on my political victories." Relena sighed and accepted the glass of wine Midii offered her.

"Catherine seems to be having a wonderful with all her suitors." The usually silent and stoic Trowa was looking at his sister with a frown and started glaring at all the men around her.

Midii gave Trowa a playful poke in the ribs. "And you say she's over protective of you."

Relena sighed. She looked at all the happy couples around the room. Especially her closest friend, Quatre, and his date, Alice. They sure seemed content with each other. If only Heero and I had a relationship like that. But he probably doesn't even care for me. He probably on thought of me

"Earth to Relena? Come in! Okay, you spaced out for a moment there." Alice looked at Relena with a worried expression. "You okay?"

"I'm fine, thank you. It's just the stress is getting too me." Relena leaned back in her seat. "All these kind of parties are just so tiresome!"

Alice giggled. "I know. Quatre always drags me to them. He says he'd be bored too death without me there." Quatre blushed and Alice gave him a peck on the cheek. This made Quatre even redder. Alice winked at Relena and Midii, who just grinned back at her.

"Woman! I am not going to have another dance with you! You don't even know how to dance!" The group heard a familiar male voice moving towards them. They turned to see Wufei glaring at Sally who quirked an eyebrow at him.

"I wasn't the one stepping on the other's foot, now was I?" Sally retorted. Seeing Wufei's face start to turn red, she laughed. Wufei snorted and mumbled about weak women.

"Hey you guys. Having fun?" Sally asked as she and Wufei approached the group.

"We're just engaging ourselves in a conversation." Quatre politely acknowledged Sally.

"Look Relena. I think there's Chris again. Don't make me dance with him again." Alice pointed at Chris who was advancing towards them. "He keeps tripping on who knows what."

"Don't worry, Alice. I don't want to put you in that position again." Relena sighed. "I'll just have to deal with it." Chris approached her and asked her to dance. This time, she couldn't refuse, so she followed him out.

"Relena, you look stunning tonight! That dress brings out the shine in your skin and" Chris went on and on about Relena's looks and she almost fell asleep in his arms. Finally, Chris had quieted down. Relena snapped her eyes open in confusion.

"What's wrong?"

"Huh? Oh nothing. It's just so late already. It's 11:30 and I need to get back to my hotel now. I'm terribly sorry Relena. Maybe we can have another dance some other time." Chris bowed and kissed her hand. Then he left the party with his father. Ah, finally. At least he won't be bothering me anymore. Relena looked at the grandfather clock on the other side of the room.

"11:30, almost near midnight." Relena shook her head. There'll probably be a whole bunch of men crowding around me to steal a kiss after the countdown. Maybe I can slip out right now. She looked around the room. Good. No one's paying attention. I'll just slip out into the garden and wait until the countdown is over. Then I can come back inside, herd all the guests home, and go to bed. Relena started walking towards the doors that led to the garden. Suddenly, she felt a strong hand on her shoulder. Great. Caught. I guess I'll just slip out when they start counting down. She turned around to face her suitor. But instead, she gasped at the sight. "Heero"

"Relena." Heero just looked at her with a raised eyebrow. He took her hand and led her to the dance floor. Relena was too in awe to say anything, so she just followed him and started to dance. The men around the room were looking at the two of them jealousy. Heero simply gave them a death glare and they turned away.

"Sowhat are you doing here Heero?" Relena looked at him uncertainly.

"You invited me."

Relena felt her face burn up. "Oh, right." She mentally smacked herself. Duh, Relena. You invited him, remember? She looked up at Heero's Prussian blue eyes that held an intensity that always seemed to mesmerize. Relena thought about how tall and muscular he has gotten, but still the same unruly hair. She was suddenly brought out of her thoughts as all the dancers around them stopped their activities and looked up at the glass ball on the ceiling.

"What's happening?" Heero looked at Relena in a confusing manner. She looked up at him in disbelief.

"You don't know?" Heero shook his head. Relena just stared up at him. All of a sudden, she had an idea. She looked at Heero with an evil glint in her eyes. Heero quirked an eyebrow.

"What?"

Everyone had started counting down to the New Year. "5."

Relena smirked at Heero. Hmmmaybe

"4, 3."

"You know Heero" Heero looked suspiciously at Relena.

"2, 1."

"I've always wanted to do this."

"Happy New Year!"

Relena leaned up, wrapped her arms around his neck, and kissed him. She would have thought that he would pull back or something. But instead, he replied by wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer to him. All around the room, the men and women had grabbed the nearest person of the opposite sex and kissed them. Duo and Hilde were competing with Heero and Relena to see who could hold their breathes the longest. Trowa, being the shy type, had just given Midii a short kiss on the lips. Quatre and Alice had their lips locked together and looked as if though they were suffocating each other. Wufei had tried to sneak his way out of it but Sally managed to place a small kiss on his lips as well. Milliardo had been glaring at Heero the whole time until Noin pulled him into a deep kiss.

Finally, Heero and Relena broke apart from their kiss. Heero leaned in close to her ear and whispered, "Happy New Year, my dove."

Relena glanced at him and asked, "A happy New Year with you?"

Heero smiled a true smile, meant just for her, and replied, "Yes. I'm staying for good."

 

===============================================================

~~ OkayI know! It was the worst fic you've ever read. I'm sorry I don't know how to write, but this is my very first fic that I've actually ever written down! And the idea was influenced by Alice, so if you think I'm a terrible writer and never should have started writing, blame Alice! ~~

*Silver Starr*