Disclaimer: GW doesn't belong to me, sadly. However, this little story, Heero Maxwell, and Melody Yuy do. No money is made from this fic, so please no lawsuits.

All comments welcome, no flames please. Sel_Barton@yahoo.com

 

Pairings: HyxRP, DMxHS, WCxSP

Rating: G

Author's Note: This takes place after The Grave. This is from Heero Maxwell's point-of-view mostly.

 

Little Heero's Big Day

By Selena Barton

 

"Mom, can I go to Uncle Quatre's?" I called into the kitchen.

"Is your room clean, Heero?"

"Yes, mom."

She turns and looks at me softly. "Well, maybe in a little while I can take you to see Quatre."

"Can I go to Uncle Trowa's then? I'm bored."

"Heero that's a long walk for such a young boy."

"I don't mind. I can handle it."

"Alright go ahead, but be careful."

"Thanks mom." I said and flew out the door.

"Whoa, buddy, where yeah headed?" Dad called from beside the house as I almost crashed into him. His braid swung around and brushed across my face.

"Uncle Trowa's."

"Alone?"

"Dad, if I'm gonna be like you, I have to be strong and brave."

"Still, that's a long walk." Dad's always like this when I try to go anywhere.

"As a future pilot, I must succeed in my mission. To get to Uncle Trowa's."

"Alright, just be careful."

"Always Daddy."

Finally, I'm on my way. Oh, in case you didn't realize, my dad is Duo Maxwell, pilot of Gundam 02. He calls it Deathscythe. My mom is Hilde Maxwell. She and dad were in the war in AC 195.

That leaves me. I'm Heero Maxwell. They named me after Heero Yuy. Well, not exactly. No one really knows Uncle Heero's real name, just his code name. I don't mind.

I'm six now, and Uncle Heero has been back for about one year. I don't know the exact details. I just know what I've read. I know six year olds aren't supposed to read well. I do though. Uncle Quatre taught me. That's why I love going to Uncle Quatre's, all the books.

Anyway, back to what I was saying. Uncle Heero was gone for five years. The first five years of my life, I heard that Uncle Heero was dead, at least from everyone except Uncle Quatre. He swore Uncle Heero was still around; just he was hiding. I don't know why he'd hide from everyone.

Everyone is so nice to me. I keep being told I'm just like him. Aunt Relena always gave me a hug and with teary eyes would make me promise not to leave her like her Heero did. I promise. I always do, and I always will. She keeps me when mom and dad have to go somewhere, if she isn't busy that is. I stay by her side; I'm her little bodyguard.

Okay, I know how silly that sounds. I'm six, not stupid. But we're both happy with that way of looking at it so don't complain.

Oopps! Almost tripped over that huge branch. I always start thinking and do that. You'd think I'd have learned in three years not to forget to watch where I'm going.

Oh, Uncle Trowa just lives over here. It's a really long walk, but I can do it. This is the first year that I get to go alone. I think I'll sit here for a moment though. I'm getting tired again. Usually when I get tired, Dad gives me a piggyback ride. But I'm a big boy and I'm gonna have to do this alone. I have to get stronger, so I can protect everyone when I'm bigger.

Yeah, I have a dream. I'm gonna be the bodyguard for Aunt Relena and her daughter. Melody was born almost two months ago. I can't let anything happen to her. I don't even like letting all of Aunt Relena's workers near her. Uncle Heero laughs at me for it. Says I'll make a great bodyguard for her, as long as I keep acting like him instead of dad.

K, I better keep going. If mom and dad call Uncle Trowa and I'm not there soon, they'll have half of Preventers out looking for me.

Preventers? Yeah, I know about all of that too. I read everything I can get my hands on, including journals that my family wrote during the war. I know it isn't right, but I have to learn about it and they don't talk about it much. They don't think I'd understand. But I do.

Since Uncle Heero returned, I've learned a lot more. He has scares from the war. I found a journal he started. Don't tell him though! All the scares have a story. The main stories I've read about though are during the five years he was gone. All the horrible things that happened. I can't believe that one person can withstand that much pain. He says that it's do to Aunt Relena and the love they share.

Most kids my age at this point would say: "YUCK! Girls are yucky. I don't need a girl." But not me. I'm more mature than that. I understand that in life you need friends, family, and love. Okay, I'm not a typical six-year-old. Look at the people I call family. None of us are real normal.

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention Uncle Wufei and Aunt Sally. They live nearby. I know he hid Gundam 05. He won't say much to me. Says I'm too weak. He does try to teach me martial arts though. That's fun. No wait, Uncle Wufei gets after me for saying it's fun. It's educational and empowering. It is meditation. It strengthens the spirit. It is training befitting a son of a Gundam pilot.

That's a lot to remember for someone my size. Some of the words are bigger than I am. But I have to be strong in mind and body.

Almost to Uncle Trowa's. I love going there. He always does the silliest things. Then again what else can I expect from a clown. I know Uncle Trowa is more than a clown, but he smiles when he's the clown and I don't like to see him without a smile.

Sometimes I wonder if it's my fault. But then I think about the war. All of the things everyone went through so that this world would be free and safe for my generation. It's nice to know that they cared that much.

My first grade teacher said for us to do a history project for the social studies fair. I was supposed to do one with the class, but instead I did one on my own. I still have the ribbon with me. This first place ribbon is why I'm so eager to go to Uncle Trowa's. My project was on the war. Who better to do a project on the war than the child of one of its heroes? Everyone thought my parents did the project until I gave my speech. Well, they call it an interview, but I worked so hard on the words and Aunt Relena helped me make sure it sounded professional.

Finally, I was getting tired again. I'm here.

"Heero, where's your dad? Did you leave him in the woods somewhere?" Catherine called to me.

"No Aunt Catherine, I got to come alone. Where's Uncle Trowa?"

"He's outback. What do you mean you came alone? That's a big walk."

"I know, but I have something to show Uncle Trowa."

"What?"

I pulled out the ribbon. "First place for my project on the war. First place, Aunt Catherine. I have to show Uncle Trowa."

Okay, Aunt Catherine and Uncle Trowa live together. But they aren't a couple. Aunt Catherine is Trowa's sister. Some people don't know that. It's funny when they take me places and people look at us and say what a cute family Uncle Trowa has. Aunt Catherine and I laugh.

"Great, Heero. Take it back and show Uncle Trowa. Just be careful. He has one of the lions back there."

"Cool! Thanks Aunt Catherine."

I race out back. I love when he has one of the animals from the circus home with him. I begin walking when I round the corner so I don't scare the lion. Uncle Trowa looks up at me and I quickly put the ribbon behind my back.

"What have you got there, Heero?"

"A surprise Uncle Trowa."

"Well," he says and looks curious. I love when he shows his emotions. I've seen the emotionless mask he wears and I don't like it.

I hand him the ribbon and pause as he looks at it.

"First place Uncle Trowa. I won first place on the project on the war."

"You should have. It was very well done for a child. It looked like something your Uncle Heero would have done when he was younger."

I smile. I don't like everything my Uncle Heero does, but perfection has to be one that I do like. I don't mind being compared to him sometimes. Just when it's something I don't like.

"I still have to tell Uncle Quatre and Uncle Wufei and Aunt Sally."

"Where's Duo and Hilde?"

"Home. I came all by my self."

"Well, how about we get some lunch and then we walk back together?"

"YEAH!!!"

The lion roars and starts to move.

"Oh, I'm sorry Mister Lion." I apologize and pet him.

"Can I ride him?"

"Well, back to the cabin, but not through the woods."

"Thank you Uncle Trowa."

~ * ~

Well, Uncle Trowa, Aunt Catherine, and I had lunch. It was good. Then Uncle Trowa walked me home. That was fun. He told me a few stories from the war. He knows how I love those. Then dad said that everyone was going to Uncle Quatre's for dinner.

Now, dinner at Uncle Quatre's isn't exactly everything it's cracked up to be sometimes. This was one of those times. I had to wear a suit. YUCK! (Okay, even I'm not that mature yet. Neither is daddy. *Giggles*)

Aunt Relena was all dressed up and all these people kept calling her the Vice Foreign Minister again. I know she hates all of that. I was supposed to stay in the back wing with some of the manganacs, but Aunt Relena said she needed her little bodyguard. See it comes in handy being the little bodyguard. I got to see everything.

The dining hall was filled with people. I don't know where most of them were from. Uncle Heero was with Daddy and the other pilots. Aunt Catherine, Aunt Sally, and mom were over in another area. Uncle Quatre was with Aunt Relena and I. I guess it was because it was his mansion.

"Uncle Quatre?" I whisper in his ear since he's sitting right beside me.

"What Heero?" he whispers back

"Can I stay the night?"

"We'll ask your parents later okay?"

"Thanks." I then sit back down completely and be quiet like I'm supposed to be.

Aunt Relena smiles when she sees the big smile on my face. Most kids would be bored completely out of their mind, but I'm not. Well, not completely. Mainly because my minds thinking all of this and not really paying real close attention. I hear what's being said, I just rather listen more to my daydreams about what is going to happen tonight if I get to stay over.

"Vice Foreign Minister Darlain, why do you wish for that child to be here?" one of the guests says. I know he means me. I don't care. I'm with Aunt Relena and Uncle Quatre.

"He is not just a child. He is my little bodyguard."

"Miss Darlain, that's not proper."

"Excuse me." I say.

Mom blushes and gets this look of "Oh no. What is he going to do?"

Now normally, I don't say anything. But this time, I wasn't going to let Aunt Relena have to defend me.

Dad looks up from his plate. He freezes waiting to see what scene I'm about to create. He doesn't know I'm not intending a scene.

"What child?" the man bellows at me. Uncle Heero is becoming anger with this guy and so is dad.

"I am being perfectly quiet and well behaved. I have done nothing disrespectful or childish. What is wrong with me sitting here and learning how adults behave?"

The man's face turns bright red with anger. Mom almost dies of embarrassment. Dad is beaming. Uncle Heero is ready to hit the man. Uncle Trowa is laughing on the inside. I can see it in his eyes. So are Uncle Quatre, Aunt Sally, Aunt Catherine, and Aunt Relena.

Uncle Wufei stands and looks at the man. "The child must learn. Until he dishonors someone, leave him be."

I was beaming now. Everyone else is staring at him. I know it isn't exactly normal for him, but he likes me. Even if he does dislike dad.

The rude man sits back down. Uncle Wufei is so cool once you get past the initial personality thing. The woman bashing has stopped since he married Aunt Sally. At least that's what Aunt Sally told me. And told me that if I ever called a woman a weak onna like Uncle Wufei, she'd tan my hide. I don't want that so I learned quickly not to repeat all of what Uncle Wufei says. He isn't nearly as gruff as he seems. In fact, he's very strict and tough, but that's only during training. When it's time to have fun and it's just him and me, he's really fun.

The dinner continued and after we ate, it was time for more business. I don't understand a lot of what was said. I think mainly because they didn't want me to. I understood Uncle Quatre and Aunt Relena, but some of the men used huge words that couldn't be natural for anyone to use. And they'd look at me and have this evil smirk that said they were glad it was going over my head. I didn't care.

One man started for Aunt Relena. He put his hand on her shoulder and she jumped. I watched her eyes as the man whispered something into her ear. Her eyes were scared and filled with fear. I tackled him. Uncle Heero saw me. He came over to see what was going on and Aunt Relena was telling me to get away from him while I could.

Too late the man already had a hold of me. Daddy was mad. Uncle Heero was too. He couldn't get a clear shot with me in the way. The man's arm was around my upper body. Uncle Wufei told me to concentrate and use my brain. He was right. We had practiced getting away from this before. Why hadn't I thought of that? Duh, I'm six.

I let my body go limp. The crowd screamed and thought I was hurt. The man was confused. The next thing he knew I bit him on the arm and I wasn't letting go. He dropped me. I ran to Aunt Relena and took her hand. Uncle Heero and the man ran out of the room. Uncle Wufei and Uncle Trowa followed them. Daddy followed them after checking on me. Uncle Quatre went with Aunt Relena and I. He was going to make sure we got someplace safe.

I ran down the hall as soon as Aunt Relena was in the den.

"Heero, come back!" Uncle Quatre called.

Aunt Relena was crying because Uncle Quatre wouldn't let her go get Melody. I wasn't going to watch her cry when I could make her smile again. I had a mission. My mission was to get baby Melody Yuy and return her to Aunt Relena, safely.

"Mission Denied. Previous mission already accepted." I called back. Uncle Quatre had to stay with Aunt Relena, so they set and worried about Melody and me.

I came to the room where Melody's crib was. I crept into the room and drug a chair over next to the crib. Melody was crying loudly. She must have heard all the noise.

"Melody, I'm here don't cry. I'll take you to Aunt Relena."

I picked her up. She's so heavy and so big. I have to be careful. I hear over and over again in my head Aunt Relena's voice. "She's fragile Heero, be gentle and be careful."

I walk over next to the door and see the man running in that direction. I leaned against the door to shut it and locked it. I took Melody and hid behind the curtain next to the window. If anything else, we were on the first floor. I could get us out the window. (Learned that from Uncle Heero too.)

The door was jarred and rammed into hard. The man must be trying to get in to get Melody. I heard a gunshot and Melody began to cry again.

"Shh, Melody. I'm your bodyguard. Nothing will happen to you."

How could I be sure? I was terrified myself. I'm six. I'm not supposed to be this responsible. But I can't let down Aunt Relena and Uncle Heero.

I hear the door jarred again and a thud on the ground of what I assume to be a dead body. The door is now being pounded on and I can hear the voices of my father and my uncles.

I laid Melody in the curtains. "Stay here." Like I needed to tell her that, she can't even crawl yet. I crept over to the door. Standing off to the side, I unlock the door. Uncle Heero comes flying into the room and over to the crib.

"Melody!"

They didn't see me. I turn on the light and duck to the floor. I'm afraid of Uncle Heero reacting before seeing me. He spun around. Dad called out to him to stop.

"It's me Uncle Heero."

"Heero?"

"Don't worry about Melody." I say as I run back over to the curtain where I left her. "We hid here after I locked the door. I figured we could get out the window if he got through the door. I learned it from you." I finish picking up Melody in my arms.

Uncle Heero quickly takes her in his arms and then takes me in his arms too. I see a tear in his eye.

"Mission failed." I say softly depressed.

"Heero?" Uncle Heero looks at me puzzled.

"My mission. I was going to take Melody back to Aunt Relena. I failed. I didn't even get out of the room."

Uncle Heero hands back baby Melody to me. I look at him puzzled.

"Take Melody back to Aunt Relena. Do you accept the mission, Heero Maxwell?"

"Take Melody to Aunt Relena. Mission Accepted." I head for the door with Uncle Trowa, Uncle Wufei, and daddy smiling and proud of me. Everyone follows me, but they stay back far enough that I can pretend that it's my mission and I'm on my own.

I walk into the den where Uncle Quatre and Aunt Relena are worrying. Uncle Quatre is the first to notice me. I stand there holding Melody with a big smile on my face. Aunt Relena raises her head from her hands. Tears are like rivers down her face and I walk toward her. I place Melody in her lap.

"Mission complete." I say.

Uncle Heero enters the room, followed by the others.

"Mission completed successfully." Heero replied.

Aunt Relena gave me a huge hug and told me to never run off and leave her like that. I didn't see it as leaving her. I saw it as protecting her. Now, I see why Uncle Heero is gone so much. Maybe I'm more like him than I think. Maybe this is why daddy is gone so much and doesn't have time to play that much too.

Uncle Quatre picked me up and gave me a hug too. I know I'll hear about taking off like that if I stay the night, but it's well worth it to protect baby Melody. It's my mission. Just like it's Uncle Heero's mission to protect Aunt Relena, and it's daddy's mission to protect mom.

I have to protect Melody. I know I'm only six and that's a lot of responsibility for a little kid, but I'm the son of a pilot. I'm the son of the God of Death, and I can handle it. I have too. I have given myself a mission. I now have a reason to exist. Not to play, or eat. (Those are daddy's main missions when he's not working, especially eating.) The reason for my existence is to protect the ones I love. I may be small, but I'm still someone to be reckoned with.

I knocked that guy to the ground when I tackled him. He underestimated me. I'm not to be seen as a threat. Maybe that's one of my strengths that Uncle Wufei keeps mentioning.

"Uncle Quatre, can I still see if I can stay the night?"

"Yes."

"Daddy, can I?"

"I guess so. As long as you don't pull anymore stunts and act like Uncle Heero any more."

"I did a good job, didn't I?" I asked. I don't know. They have to tell me these things.

"Yes." Uncle Wufei said before anyone else had a chance.

"Good. More practice though, right Uncle Wufei and Uncle Heero?"

"Yes," they said together.

Uncle Quatre set me down on the ground again. Melody was sleeping again. I saw a book on the self in Uncle Quatre's den. It was the book about Cinderella. I walked over to Aunt Relena and looked at little Melody sleeping there.

"Don't worry Princess, I'll be your knight." I said softly.

Aunt Relena and Uncle Heero looked at each other. I saw Aunt Relena's eyes. Her eyes were happy, but there was sadness there.

"Don't worry Aunt Relena, I'll still be your little bodyguard."

Aunt Relena begins to cry softly again.

"What did I say wrong? Daddy? Uncle Quatre? Uncle Heero?"

"Nothing wrong exactly," Uncle Heero says quietly and walks over to Aunt Relena.

"If it wasn't wrong, then why is she crying?"

Uncle Quatre picks me up. He starts to carry me out of the room, but Aunt Relena starts to speak.

"Little Heero, you promised you wouldn't leave me like Uncle Heero."

"I won't."

"Promise you won't leave Melody either."

"Aunt Relena?"

"Promise me Heero."

"I promise."

Uncle Quatre sets me down after I squirm and wiggle trying to get down. I run over to Aunt Relena and give her a hug.

"Please don't cry Aunt Relena. I won't hurt you or Melody."

Uncle Heero looks down at me with a small smile. "Heero, training tomorrow afternoon. Mission accepted?"

"Mission accepted." I reply smiling.

I run back over to Uncle Trowa and Uncle Wufei. "I'll make all of you proud of me one day. Mission accepted." With that I run out of the room and down the hall to mom and the rest of my aunts.

------------------

"Mission completed." Heero says looking at his wife holding his daughter.

"He doesn't even realize what he just did," Duo says softly.

"What do you mean?" Quatre asks as he and Relena exchange glances of confusion.

"He saved Melody. He got to the room before that guy did and locked the door. He hid with baby Melody in the curtain next to the window. If it weren't for little Heero, things may have been completely different," Heero replied gazing at his sleeping daughter.

"He remembered a lot of his training tonight," Wufei added.

"He's going to make a good pilot, Duo. He's going to be a formidable foe for those who oppose peace," Quatre says softly.

"Of course, he's the son of the great Shinigami."

------------------

I know Mommy won't like what happened so I won't tell her. She'd be upset to know I was alone with that guy around. I just look at the room full of people and find my Aunt Catherine.

"Aunt Catherine, it's all over. Everybody's in the den."

"At least everyone's safe. You did a very brave thing biting that man."

"No, I just did what Uncle Wufei told me to do."

Aunt Catherine just looked at me funny. I guess she didn't realize what Uncle Wufei had meant. I guess that's a good thing. Oh well, I did a good job, and protected Melody and Aunt Relena. That was what mattered to me.

Mom came running over to me and picked me up hugging me. I almost couldn't breath she was hugging me so tight. She was so glad I was okay.

"Daddy said I could stay the night with Uncle Quatre," I finally say cheerfully.

"Okay, you were good so I can't argue."

Everyone applauds as the others return to the room, Aunt Relena still carrying Melody. When the room is silent, Aunt Relena begins to speak.

"I'm sorry for the interruption," she says.

I watch her walk to the front of the room followed by Uncle Heero. Standing in front of everybody, Aunt Relena's eyes catch mine. It's as if they are telling me I belong up there too. I look at Uncle Heero, my eyes pleading for permission. He nods and I walk up copying the way Uncle Heero had walked up there.

I take my place on the left side of Aunt Relena. Uncle Heero's already on her right side. The man from earlier that didn't want me there is turning red again. I notice Uncle Wufei walked up behind him and is standing there.

Aunt Relena's talking again; I better listen.

"Heero Maxwell, you were very brave tonight."

I start to blush. I didn't do anything they wouldn't do.

"My little bodyguard, you protected me and my daughter tonight as a true bodyguard should. I wish to thank you, Mister Maxwell."

Mister Maxwell?! She's never called me that before.

"It was an honor and my pleasure Vice Foreign Minister," I answer. I hope that sounded right; it sounds like something an adult would say.

Everyone applauds again, even that rude man. But I think that's because of Uncle Wufei. I bow like before a martial arts battle. I hide my smile quickly. Smiling right now isn't very Uncle Heero-like.

Aunt Relena walks off stage followed by Uncle Heero and then me. Melody starts to fuss again. Aunt Relena says Melody's hungry.

Uncle Heero takes Melody and says he'll take care of her.

"Want to help?" he asks me.

"I have to protect Aunt Relena."

"Well, you complete your mission, and I'll complete mine."

"K, Uncle Heero."

The evening went on and nothing really exciting really happened. That rude man made the mistake of complaining about me to dad. He didn't realize it was my dad though. That guy's supposed to get x-rays once he gets to the hospital.

Once the rest of the guests left, my family set down and talked for a little bit. I don't know what was said though. I stayed with Melody while she slept.

Her crib was moved to the den. So I set in a far corner with a dim light reading a few books Uncle Quatre pointed out. I'll be reading forever it seems like, but I don't mind.

I can hear Melody's soft breathing. She's so small compared to our parents. I'm afraid she'll be hurt. I won't let that happen if I can help it.

------------------

"What happened Duo?" Hilde asked quietly.

"Hilde, babe, he acted like a real future pilot."

"By doing what? What did our son do?"

Quatre looks at her quietly, "He single-handedly protected Melody."

"WHAT?!"

"Now, Hilde, babe, he was safe. He was locked in the room and hid with Melody until it was safe."

Wufei sat here next to Sally. The solitary dragon was in a world of his own.

~~Wufei's Thought~~

That small boy did all of that by himself. He remembered everything I said about being trapped. All I had to say was for him to think and he found the answer. How could any child of Duo's be so smart? Duo's not that smart is he?

I'll have to step up all of the training. He will get bored with it soon if not. He created his own mission. What ever gave him the idea to go for Melody?"

~~End Thought~~

"Wufei?" Quatre spoke softly.

"Quatre?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. What gave Little Maxwell the idea to go to Melody?"

Quatre and Relena looked at each other.

"We aren't exactly sure." Quatre answered.

"I was trying to go get her and Quatre wouldn't let me out of the den. I bet since I couldn't go to her and I was crying, he tried to get her for me."

"When he took off from the den, he told me he couldn't return. He had already accepted a previous mission. I bet he meant to get Melody," Quatre said after thinking about the events that followed Little Heero's running off.

"It's late. Shouldn't we all be getting home and to bed? I bet the kids are tired," Catherine said.

"Yeah. I bet Heero didn't last long watching Melody sleep," Duo replied.

Relena got up, "I'll go get Melody."

"I'll go say bye to Heero before we leave. I'll be right back Hil'," Duo said and started to follow Relena.

------------------

I was setting in the corner and decided to go get Melody. She was in direct line of the door. I walked over, climbed up on the chair, and lifted Melody out of her crib. I carried her over to my chair. We were hidden from the door.

I turned out the light so it was dark for Melody. I was tired, but I wasn't going to take my eyes off of her. It was my job to watch her. My mission.

The door opened slowly and quietly. Melody was asleep in my arms, so I couldn't move. I watched carefully to see who was there. Aunt Relena walked into view and approached the crib.

"Aunt Relena."

"Heero? Are you still up?" she said not yet looking into the crib.

"Yes. I have Melody."

"Why is she over there?"

"I was afraid she'd be hurt. I didn't want someone coming in and hurting her."

"Heero, she's safe now. Thank you." Aunt Relena took sleeping Melody away from me. I didn't really mind. I was tired and if they went home with Uncle Heero, they'd be safe.

"Bye Aunt Relena."

"Bye Heero, and goodnight," she said and leaned down to kiss me on the forehead.

Dad walked in and saw us in the corner.

"Heero?"

"I'm awake."

"Don't stay up too late," Aunt Relena said softly as she walked out the door.

Too late? It was already way past my bedtime.

"We're heading home now Heero. See you tomorrow evening," Dad said and started for the door.

"Dad?"

"What is it Heero?"

"It was right for me to want Aunt Relena happy wasn't it?"

"Yes, why?"

"Well, Uncle Quatre wouldn't let her out of the room. He said Uncle Heero would protect Melody. Aunt Relena was in tears. I wanted to bring her Melody. Was that bad?"

"No, just dangerous. Why did you lock the door earlier?"

"I had just got Melody out of her crib and to the door. I saw that man coming so I shut and locked the door. Then I hid us in the curtain next to the window. I was scared. I can't be scared though. I have to be strong."

"Being scared doesn't mean you aren't strong, Heero. I was scared tonight too."

"Why?"

"You and your mother were in danger. I was afraid something would happen to one of you. Especially you."

"Me?"

"Yes. Now go to sleep. You're starting to act like me instead of Uncle Heero."

"Uh-oh. Uncle Wufei won't like that." I giggled. I so wanted everyone to be safe and I wanted them to be proud of me.

Dad gave me a kiss on the forehead, "Goodnight Heero. Go to bed soon."

"I will. Promise dad."

Dad walked out the door and I sat there for a little bit.

Dad was scared? I didn't realize adults were scared. Protective, yes. Scared, no. I was brave; Aunt Relena said so. Dad even said I was good. I did the right thing. Wow. My first real adventure.

"Heero?" Uncle Quatre said softly entering the den.

"Yeah, Uncle Quatre?"

Uncle Quatre walked over and picked me up in his arms. He started to carry me to my bedroom. (I stay here a lot, so I even have my own room.) "Alright time for all future Preventer Pilots to go to bed."

"Future Pilot? Really, do you think I can become a Preventer and be like you and dad and Uncle Trowa and Uncle Wufei and Uncle Heero?"

"Yes. If you keep learning at the rate you are now, you'll be Preventer material in no time."

"Soon! Like next year?"

"No, but maybe when you are a teenager. That's when we all started."

"Wow!" I laid my head on Uncle Quatre's shoulder as he carried me down the long hallways. I don't remember ever getting to my room. I just remember waking up there the next morning.