Cracks In The Mirror

By: Tracie Somebody

Chapter One: What Happened?

 

Relena blinked, slowly regaining the conciseness she had previously lost.

"Holy shit!" this came from some where in the room, from someone she knew she recognized.

"Duo?" she asked. The braided pilot looked down at her, frowning in worry and shock. "w-what happened?"

"How should I know?" Duo said looking around, "I just got here and found you! What a mess! I'll go call the preventers." Relena's eyes shot open.

"No, don't call them," she begged, "Zechs will put so much security on me that I won't be able to breath. Let alone get my work done," Relena begged. Duo got down on one knee and looked into her eyes and began to examine her wounds.

"Lena, I wasn't going to call Zechs," Duo said. "The last thing I need is to talk to Zechs when he's in a bad mood, heck it's even hard to talk to him in a good mood! Besides no matter who I call he'll find out," He added helping a very dizzy and uncoordinated Relena to her shaky feet. She looked at him puzzled as she set herself down on the bed, after resting her aching head on her hands for a moment she faced him again.

"Who WERE you going to call?" She asked. He gave her this look that told her he was hiding something she wanted to know. "Duo Maxwell," she said testily, "Who were you going to call?"

"Uhjust somebodyyou knowumsomebody you and I can trust" Duo was turning an unpleasant red color. Relena's eyes narrowed, an uncommon feature to her usually pleasant face.

"Who?" she asked again. Duo turned even redder.

"Heero," he said squeakily. Relena's face changed immediately from anger to disbelief.

"You know where he is," she said this in a quiet disbelieving voice. He nodded still looking at the ground. "You could've just told me, I don't blame you for not telling me before when I asked." She said.

"It's just that he swore me to secrecy," Duo said. Relena nodded. "Well if you'll excuse me I have a phone call to make. You should rest, it looks like you took a nasty fall." Relena nodded once more and laid back on her bed, and fell back asleep.

"Relena?" this came from Sally. "Relena wake up, I need to examine you." Relena groaned in protest, but she opened her eyes and met the sight she had expected to see, well almost. Wufei was there, just as she thought, looking at the fragments of glass and glaring. Duo was hovering behind Sally jumping up and down with worry and anxiousness all the while blabbering about what he saw. Zechs stood behind Duo frowning and barking orders to the people dusting her room for finger prints. The only unexpected thing was a solitary figure standing in the back round, giving her an icy stare.

"I'm fine," Relena insisted as Sally stuck a thermometer in her mouth. "Really I am." Sally ignored her protests and looked through her hair making comments on the damage where glass had cut her skull.

"You have a few cuts on your head, and from all the blood I would assume you should be dizzy for awhile, but other then that it seems your fine. Although to be on the safe side I think you should come down to head quarters so I can check for skull fractures and internal damage," Sally gave this report half to Relena half to the expectant Duo and Zechs.

"What happened?" Zechs asked giving her a warm look that he reserved for only her and Noin. Relena tried to remember, but it was all very fuzzy.

"I don't really remember," she admitted.

"She'll probably remember later, she's still in shock from the incident no doubt," Sally said helping Relena to her feet. "I'll take her to Head Quarters now," Sally said leading Relena out the door. Relena held her head as her vision crossed itself and then readjusted, she had a killer head ache.

"Hold on I'll get you escorts," Zechs said.

"That's not necessary," Relena protested. Zechs' eyes narrowed.

"After tonight, I think it certainly is. Who knows if this guy is still hanging around?" Zechs said. "Yuy, escort Relena to Head Quarters." Heero nodded in response from his corner of the room. Relena walked down the hallway with Sally on her side and Heero behind her. She held onto the railing for support as she made her way down the stairs and into the entry way.

"We'll take my car, you follow O.K.?" Sally asked Heero.

"Relena and I should be in the same car. I can't protect her from a distance," Heero said. Relena and Sally both gave each other questioning looks, but shrugged it off at the same time as 'the perfect solider doing his job' and nothing more.

"Fine but there's not enough room in my car for three, I have all my medical stuff in the back, which needs to be delivered to Head Quarters. So it looks like you to will have to go in Heero's car and me in my car," Sally said. Heero nodded and took Relena's arm. Startled, but not completely off balance Relena walked with Heero to his black van and got into the passenger side.

She looked out the window and got prepared for a silent car ride, but Heero surprised her once more by speaking.

"Put on your seat belt," He said. And as soon as she did Heero started to drive, if you can call it driving. Relena lurched forward as he stopped suddenly at the end of the drive way and then floored it down the street. 'Now that's going to leave a bruise,' she thought feeling the place where the seat belt strap had slammed into her. She winced as they sped down the street at an alarming pace, the red light on the van going on, and the siren starting.

"Heero if you don't slow down your going to kill someone, and it's going to most likely be me," Relena said as Heero stopped suddenly for another stop light. 'How many bruises do I have?' Relena wondered meekly. The car started forward again, but this time at a slower pace, just fast, instead of breakneck fast. The rest of the car ride she kept her mind searching for what happened the night before. 'I came home after joggingI put my key on the tablegot a towelfor the SHOWER! That's itin the bathroom, the shattered glass! Then I was knocked out! I remember!!!' She contemplated the rest of the story until she had it straight.

"Heero" she said looking at the young pilot who was spending all his effort on driving. He turned slightly to her so that he saw both her and the road. She bit her lip, not so sure telling Heero was the wisest choice, but what other reason was there for catching his attention? "I remember what happened." Was all she said, unsure how to continue this very awkward, one sided conversation. Heero was no help, in fact he gave no indication he noticed what she had said. Relena was almost sure that talking to a wall would be easier. Why'd she even want to tell him? It was because after all this time she wanted to share something with him, but like always, he was making it much harder on her then it needed it to be. She was very aware of the stale silence that had followed her statement.

She sank back into the car's cushioned seat, unwilling to continue what she had started to say. She sighed and looked out the window, loosing herself in the passing trees and neat little houses. She sat there deep in thought, brooding over what had happened to her in the past 24 hrs, and thinking about the young man right next to her. Sure she knew she still liked him, she was even daring to call it love, even after the two years that had gone by with out word from him. Sure she had the occasional relationship, it wasn't like she was completely hung only on him, but no one else had ever touched the same place in her heart that he did. It was always him she had thought of late at night, not the others, always his icy blue eyes baring into her. She snapped out of the trance she had unknowingly slipped into, because something barricaded the silence that was still in the air.

"What happened?" this came from Heero. She was stunned on the inside, but none of it was let out on her face, or her voice. Embarrassment was there though, she didn't know where to start, or how to start.

"I came home late last night, and when I got upstairs the T.V. was still on. I saw the report on the 'Mirror Murders' and then went into the bathroom. The mirror was already cracked and shattered, and the note was there," she paused remembering the fear she had felt seeing the message written, in what looked to her like blood.

"We found the note, it said 'The mirror cracker,'" Heero said prompting her to continue.

"No that's not what it said when I saw it. It said 'Look behind you', I remember because that's why I started to turn and run. That's also when I was knocked out and I heard the person's voice, it said 'The mirror's cracked,'" She said looking at Heero. His face was set in deep concentration. He pulled into the Preventers Head Quarters and got out of the car. Relena undid her seat belt, and went to get out of the car, but before she could open it, it swung open. Heero offered her a hand, but she pulled herself out of the car. For the first time noticing the scratches that raked her arms, and realizing her hair was filled with blood.

If she didn't need a shower that bad before she really needed one now. Heero and Sally escorted her to Sally's medical office. There she was given x-rays and poked and prodded until Sally was sure she wasn't permanently hurt. All the while the two kept up a good conversation, shared between the two good friends.

"How'd you ever get together with Wufei? I thought you'd never hook up," Relena said. Sally smirked.

"Wouldn't a better question be, 'how do I think you can hook up with Heero?'," Sally's eyes twinkled as she smiled knowingly at Relena's blushing figure. "I really have no clue how to get you two together, because neither of you are willing to make the first move," Sally said.

"I don't need to 'get together' with Heero. I justI just don't know what I think of him anymore," Relena said as Sally made her lay down on the small flat table in the middle of the room.

"Oh come on, I know better then any one else that you still like him. Frankly though, I would let him make the first move. That's what I did with Wufei. If he likes you he'll do something," Sally said busying herself with medical instruments on the counter. Zechs walked in at this point.

"How is she?" Zechs asked not even bothering to ask Relena.

"I'm fine," Relena said stubbornly.

"She's going to be O.K. she just needs some rest," Sally said.

"I have arranged for you to have a full time security guard, until we catch this person," Zechs said.

"Ugh, I have enough security on me already Zechs," Relena protested willing to fight this issue to the end. "Besides a 'full time guard' sounds more like a babysitter! I'm 18, don't you think I can handle myself?"

"Nonsense, you're a very important person Relena, besides being just my sister you're also my number one advisor for the Sanc Kingdom, this is serious. It's not just a little prank that you can dismiss easily," Zechs insisted. Relena crossed her arms, knowing she had lost this argument she tried to figure out what she was giving into.

"Who?" Relena asked.

"Heero Yuy, he's the best one for the job," Zechs said.

"Oh no," Relena said putting her head on her hands as soon as Zechs left. "Why'd it have to be him?" she asked Sally.

"Hmmminteresting choice your brother made I was under the impression he didn't like Heero all that much" Sally remarked almost to her self.

"Oh you're no help!" Relena said in a light tone of voice. Sally smiled.

"I'm not here to solve your problems, just to check your pulse," Sally said just as lightly as Relena.

"Heero just shows up today and already he's part of my life again! Everyone is acting as though I never thought he was gone forever, maybe even dead for the past two years! It's kind of annoying," Relena said. Sally rolled her eyes to the ceiling. "Not that I'm upset he's suddenly come back into my life. I guess this is in the true Heero Yuy style too. Silent, somewhat subtle, but on the whole, daring and dangerous," Relena told herself more then Sally. Sally nodded along used to her friend's one sided conversations. Relena put her head on her hands. "I'm taking a shower in five minutes no matter what," Relena added once again taking notice of her disorientated body.

"You know if it were any one but you I'd be surprised that you weren't scared out of your mind to ever go into a bathroom again. But I guess you've gotten used to the whole death threat thing," Sally said laughing.

"Hmmm speaking of death threats I have to find out where to put Heero, because I assume the whole 'full time body guard' means night time too" Relena said.

"Your hopeless, you know that right?" Sally said.

"Hopeless? Me? But I bring hope to the whole world," Relena said winking. "Time for my shower." She hopped up and took off to the small shower that lead off of the examination room.

"Hopeless" Sally said and shook her head, then she got an evil idea. 'Should I or shouldn't I?' she contemplated the idea. She went out into the hall way and greeted the silent Heero with distraught running through her voice.

"Heero, Relena slipped in the shower and can't get up, she's unconscious and I can't lift her," Sally said mixing urgency into her plea. "Could you lift her up and get her to a spot where I can examine her. I think she might have fractured her skull!" 'To late it's done,' she told her self as regret creped into her mind.

"Hn" Heero took off with out a second thought and went into the examination room. Not even thinking he went into the small room that lead off from it and opened the shower curtain 0.0

 

AN: Hehehe I AM evil. Tell me what you think at traciesmail@earthlink.net Oh yeah Flames please feel free to send them to my attorney. By the way I don't have a attorney.