Dark Wings of the Abyss by Tomorrow

AN: This fic is definitely original... if there's another one like it, I have no idea where it would be. I really hope you enjoy it an let me know what you think. Thanks everyone!

Disclaimers: I don't own Gundam Wing or the song "Let Me Be Your Wings," which is from the movie Thumbelina (I hate the movie, but the song is REALLY good... I just love it).

 

 

 

"Let me be your wings... let me be your only love. Let me take you far beyond the stars..." Relena sang to herself as she picked out the dress she would wear to the ball that evening. "Let me be your wings... let me lift you high above. Everything we're dreaming of will soon be ours..." she continued to cantor as she twirled around in front of her bedroom mirror, holding one of her possible gowns against herself. "Anything that you desire, anything at all. Everyday I'll take you higher, and I'll never let you fall."

Hushing herself for a moment, she quickly stripped of her nightdress and clothed herself with the garment, giggling to the melody of her romantic descant. The gown was a beautiful silk that draped over her licentious physique, flowing along her body as the down of swan wing in imperial elegance. Its long sash wallowed about her form in regal grace, keeping her modesty and blooming chastity from wandering eyes of lustful fantasy. Upon her bodice would lie a simple necklace whose diamond of gingerly cut glass of crystal dew would be in the form of a crucifix, she supposed. Her sun-shaming tresses would create a tiara themselves as they were both wrapped around her forehead in gentle curls, decorated with white roses adorned with glass drops of rain, and the rest cascading down upon her back, the way many people preferred it most. As she thought of how gorgeous she would look that night, hoping to impress only one, she again began to make whimsical music with the tender lyrics that escaped her lips.

"Let me be your wings... let me be your only love. Let me take you far beyond the stars. We'll see the universe, and dance on Saturn's rings. Fly with me, and I will be your wings." She finished as Sally walked into the room. "Oh! Sally, I didn't hear you come in," Relena said, blushing a bit.

"That's okay Relena, I just came in to check up on you, but from the way you were lost in your dreams back there, I would have to say you're feeling much better," Sally said with a smile.

"Oh yes I am, Sally! Isn't it just a beautiful day?"

"Relena, it's storming outside."

"Why, that just makes it all the more wonderful."

"Relena," Sally interjected, "is there something you wanna talk about?"

"Talk... about? No, I don't think so," Relena chimed back innocently.

"Come on Relena, what happened last night that made you so happy?"

"Well, it's just that..." before she could finish, Relena found herself in the middle of a coughing fit, and after a few seconds she grasped her throat in pain.

"My goodness, what am I doing? I came here to check on you, and I get lost in trivial gossip." Sally scolded herself, rubbing her hands along Relena's neck and monitoring her breathing, checking her lymphnodes and for any irregular breathing patterns.

"I guess I haven't quite gotten over it yet."

"I'm not surprised Relena, pneumonia is a difficult disease to shake."

"Well, no matter how I feel I'm still going to the dance tonight."

"That's fine, just make sure you rest between dances, okay," Sally pleaded to her in a motherly tone.

"Yes Sally, I will... I promise." Sally then left the room, and Relena wrapped herself in her sheets and curled up to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Oh Relena, you look great tonight," Hilde said as she fixed Relena's gown.

"Thanks Hilde, that's comforting to know."

"Umm, Relena, Sally told us that you were really acting weird this morning, and from the way she described it, I would have to say that it's love," Catherine asked as she winked in Relena's direction, causing her to look away.

"Oh, it's nothing, really," Relena replied sheepishly.

"Come on Miss Relena, you look like you've turned into a rose bush by the color in your cheeks... so who's the lucky one huh?" Dorothy prodded her.

"Really Dorothy, it's..."

"It's Heero isn't it?" Hidle called out.

With the mention of his name, Relena's smile turned into a melancholic gaze, tears beginning to fill the ducts of her eyes.

"I'm sorry Relena, I didn't mean to make you upset," Hilde said taking Relena's hand.

"No Hilde, you're right, he did come to me last night."

"Miss Relena, you know that he wouldn't have done such a thing. I know it's difficult for you to accept, but he doesn't love you. He told you that three years ago," Dorothy whispered, trying not to overstep her bounds.

"How can you say that? He did come to me last night, and he whispered sweet words into my ears, staying until I fell asleep!"

"But Relena, you were running a 105 degree fever... I think you were hallucinating sweetie," Catherine noted.

"It's not true, he was with me last night, and he will return like he promised me! He promised!" Relena huffed as she descended the grand staircase, plastering upon her face the smile that could capture millions in its siren-like power. For the rest of the evening, she acted as if nothing bothered her, watching all of the couples as they waltzed along the floor in endless bliss.

*Oh Heero, was I really just dreaming, or were you really there with me?* was all Relena could think to herself as the evening withered away. Many suitors and other eager gentlemen asked her to do them the honor of just one dance, but each time she refused, the pathetic sorrow that shown in her eyes through the passionate waters that threatened to flow was the only reason they needed to dismiss her as a possible partner. The whole night she stayed at the table, dipping her fingertips into the spring water that had been set at the table when the ball had begun, wondering if her own bitter tears which she may need to shed would fill such a glass as the one that set before her.

It grew to the hour of 11:00, the festivities only beginning three hours earlier, and she felt herself becoming dizzy, tired, and faint. She stealthily glided over to where Trowa and Catherine were standing at the punch bowl, chatting, and told then she was going to retire for the evening due to illness.

"Relena, are you sure you're all right, you look pale?" Catherine said in a concerned voice.

"Don't worry Cathy, I'm just tired, that's all. Please don't fret, I'll be fine in the morning."

"Take care of yourself Relena," Trowa added, though his voice remained as impassive as ever.

"Thanks Trowa, I will," Relena said before heading to her room.

Once she closed her door behind her, Relena shed her dress and wrapped herself in her long, turquoise nightgown. It matched her eyes perfectly, enabling one to see the beautiful sparkle and light which they always held, but was very thin and not particularly concealing. The billowing satin fabric trailed along the floor, being held to her body only by two thin straps that curled around her shoulders. Down the sides of the fabric were slits that didn't adjoin again until the top of her petite thighs, and the piece which shielded her breasts hung low and tight, giving a worthy glimpse of cleavage. As soon as she was in her gown, she pulled the sheets over her shoulders and fell into a restless slumber, perspiration beginning to glitter along her forehead.

An hour had now passed, and the clock struck midnight. The distant glass doors to her balcony flew open, the lace that tied the curtains revealing only the silhouette of the figure that gazed upon the fair child shivering in her bed. Slowly he crept towards the young woman, his outline the only revelation to his person, and yet no shadow followed his body's movements along the floor. Kneeling by her bedside, he stroked her pale cheek, noticing the hellish warmth that burned the skin upon his fingertips. Her breath was harsh and fleeting, while a crimson rash ornamented the crevice of her throat. He lay his forehead against her own lips, choking back his sorrow as he beheld her in such misery, and delicately intertwined her locks of golden silk amongst his fingers--kissing each strand as it cam within the view of his eyes.

"Heero?" she called to him in indolence. "You came back to me, I knew you would. Oh but Heero, what will..."

"Shhh my angel. You need your rest, for your time in this world grows short... as does mine," he whispered into her neck, kissing her earlobes as he chided this gentle phrase.

"No Heero, I won't let him..." she murmured before he silenced her with his lips taking life from her own. It was an unsure union, for they both knew that what they have done... what they have felt is forbidden.

As their mouths parted, he whispered, "We shall conquer Relena... we shall conquer." Resting her head upon his firm chest, she fell again into deep repose, but this time a sleep of more promising dreams awaited her. Wrapped within her eloquent tresses, he left a gift to her, so humble and yet filled with the aura of appending vengeance... a single, red rose. Giving her one last look, he lay her back on the pillow and disappeared into the darkness, the nightingale singing their nocturne of demonic glory as he passed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You see, you see he came last night, just as I told you he would," Relena rasped as she weakly held up the sentiment which he had left behind for her to find.

"Relena..." Sally argued.

"No, it IS from him, and he kissed me and held me and... hmmm," she hummed to herself as she closed her eyes, remembering the flaming magic that devoured both of them last night in that fragile moment as she traced the flora along her lips.

"Relena, we don't know how the flower got there, but it wasn't from Heero. We asked the guards who were stationed all around your balcony as well as your door. They said they saw or heard no one last night in your room," Catherine reasoned with her.

"Then they lie Cathy, for he was here. I can still taste the dark flavor of his kiss, and I can still smell his musky scent of mesmerizing sweat."

"You're feverish Relena, and I'm afraid your health has gone down hill since yesterday at this time. Instead of thinking about what cannot be, think about what you COULD be. You need to rest for a few days straight, so stay in bed, and if you need anything then just call, okay?" Sally stated, a bit of annoyance hinting her voice as she spoke.

All of the girls left the room, leaving the princess to hopefully get some well-needed sleep. Sally and the others periodically checked in on her various times throughout the day, but her condition didn't seem to be improving. In fact, it looked as though it was getting worse.

Again the clock had struck midnight for the second night, and the same figure as the night past entered into her presence and knelt by her side. He bent his head down shyly to kiss her upon her lips to rouse her, but as his brushed against her own, he jumped back in shock. Her lips were as cold as ice, and the once luscious, dark hue that stained them was replaced by that which colored the sheets.

"No... NO! Relena, you can't, you can't have left me yet! I won't let it end this way... it can't end this way. I'll make it right... I'll make it right," Heero chanted as he slid his arms behind her knees and around her back, sweeping her into his arms with one, graceful motion.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Relena, are you all..." Milliardo asked quietly as he entered Relena's room and found her missing. Without even thinking of her privacy, he ran into her closets and bathroom, calling out for her as he did so.

"Zechs honey, what's wrong?" Noin asked him as she heard his cries for Relena from the kitchen downstairs.

"Relena's missing, is she down stairs with you?"

"No, we haven't seen her all morning."

"Well what in the he..." before Milliardo had a chance to finish, the phone in the hall rang, and he went to go answer it, huffing to himself on the way.

"Hello," he said in a gruff voice.

"Uh, yes, Mr. Peacecraft, this is Father Coros of the Sanq Kingdom Cathedral."

"Oh, hello Father, I'm sorry I was so blunt, what's the matter?"

"Well, I think you need to come down here and see for yourself... leave right away," the priest said before he hung up the phone.

"Who was that Zechs?"

"That was Father Coros, the head of the cathedral, and he said we needed to come down there now. Come on Lucy, we'd better just go down there, I don't want to worry anyone if nothing's really wrong."

"All right Zechs," Noin mumbled, chewing on her bottom lip as he told her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"So what's going on here Father?" Milliardo questioned as the clergyman led him through the basilica's corridors.

"Here, right in the room where Mass is held. Look at the picture next to the alter, and you'll see why I called you here," he said while pointing to the specified portrait. As Milliardo and Noin sauntered to the painting in question, Noin clasped onto his arm and shouted out in desperation. Milliardo's eyes went wide, and he could find no words to express the feelings that churned inside of him as he took in the whole depth of the meaning on the canvas.

There right in front of them, was a picture of Heero and Relena as depicted in two worlds of eternal salvation, in both vanity and devotion. At the top right-hand side of the portrait was Relena, and she was kneeling regally among the clouds of heaven itself, her beauty indescribable. Her shimmering locks cascaded about her body, sprinkled delicately with the stars of the sky and tears of all those who have fallen asleep in their faith. Upon her head lay a crown of hallow royalty, for she was a special servant of His Most High, and its magnanimous glow outcast even the radiance of the sun. Blossoming from her back were the wings of a dove, fragile feathers of lamb-scented purity falling all around her, and about her bosom God had clothed her with holy robes of eminence in his name, creating for her an elegant gown of mystical presence. However, her eyes were not looking above herself, for instead they looked down upon another soul, her angelic being holding her hand to him that he too may feel the grace of forgiveness. Heero had been placed in the lower left-hand corner of the painting, burning in the fires of Lucifer's kingdom. The flames were lapping him with incredulous hunger, hoping to keep him within the bowels of true nemesis itself. His body was scorched and charred, his eyes searching for the hand that would lead him to his infinite hope and freedom. Lying on the ground next to him were dragon wings of scales and leathered skin, while now he too had sprouted the same divine wings as Relena had gracing her own back, and these were lifting him away from the tongues of grueling fires and into the world which he would now belong. No longer was this boy a child of darkness and dire perfection, sent into our mortal world to plague mankind with war and death, but a fallen angel that has found his way back to his love for his soul-mate as well as his love for the Father.

When Milliardo's startled eyes left the painting, he looked beneath it to the ground and found Relena's sea-tinged sleeping gown next to Heero's signature tank top and black spandex shorts, lying entangled within these garments a red rose in full bloom, a mythical light surrounding its petals. And as the wind echoed through the windows of the church, if one listened closely, he could hear the wind singing a beautiful aria of passionate hope, "Let me be your wings...

 

 

AN: Now that was different, wasn't it? I told you it would be. I don't know about you, but I really liked this idea. I really hope you guys did too. Thanks for reading, and I really want you to e-mail me on this one. Because I liked the way this came out, I want to know if you liked it too. Thank you everyone, bye!