Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or any of its characters ^_^

Dawn and Moon Wars

Chapter Twelve

 

Dorothy turned and tossed, not wanting to believe what her heart was trying to tell her. Finally she couldn't stand it and she stopped trying to sleep and stared at the ceiling. She couldn't believe her luck... Finally, a soft, warm bed was here just for her and she couldn't sleep... And why couldn't she sleep?

Because he'd hurt her feelings.

The sorceress sat up, glad for the long blouse belonging to Une. It was too long for her to wear outside, but made nice sleepwear. Dorothy stared at her ruined dress with clear disgust and instead began to search the room. There had to be something here...

A small chest at the bed's edge held what she sought... Dorothy held up a long, simple lavender dress with silver designs trailing along its low neckline and billowing sleeves... Little silver leaves... She sneezed as dust flitted from it. She laid it across the bed and raised an eyebrow...

It was a lovely dress... Why had it been left behind? What would cause the owner of such a dress to flee without even taking her clothes? And why hadn't the innkeeper already coveted these objects? Too many questions...

But for now she thanked the mysterious dress's owner then returned to searching the chest. A green tunic and brown leggings... A pair of strong boots... A brown leather belt... Two more dresses... Nightclothes...

The mystery grew before her eyes...

An ordinary whore has more decency than you.

Her hands tightened around red velvet and Dorothy slowly stood. It hurt... And she didn't understand it all... She had known many males in her lifetime... And had never once felt with one of those slaves what she felt when around Duo... The very fact was that she saw him as an equal no matter what his gender... Or race... And she had never argued with anyone as much as she did with him... Most women had tried to gain her favor knowing the power she held as Relena's Advisor... Noble slaves were the same, trying to court her and take her to bed thinking that would gain them some protection...

She'd refused every single one of them... Oh, she didn't mind the flirting, the slow courting, the brief touches of skin, the brush of lips... But the end result... The fact had always been that as Relena's Advisor she had no time to loiter in games of seduction...

Yet, even though they all acted as if they adored her when she was around she knew that many hated her, despised her... And she'd even argued with a few ladies... But none had ever hurt her...

Duo had hurt her.

His casual words had stung straight to her heart and she suddenly felt very depressed and lonely... She missed Relena and their quiet talks... Yet, those friendly talks were surely lost to her... Lost as soon as the dagger had plunged into the old Dawn...

Duo was her key... A bit of her old life, a lot of her new... As much as she hated it she'd become used to him... Even to his rude manners and their constant arguments...

But his words... They weren't spoken in heated anger... He had spoken calmly...

I don't see why that bard would even wish to bed you...

She needed something to drink... Something to wash out the taste in her mouth... She slipped on the lavender dress and a tiny pair of slippers that she found on inspecting the chest once more. And she made her way out the door and down the stairs...

      *

The simplicity of the spell amazed Quatre as Millardo positioned him in the middle of the bare room. Like most spells, a few drops of his blood had been required... Then the spell had been spoken... It wasn't a difficult ritual in its wording and preparation... It was the sheer power that was needed to actually make it work that proved it to be a rarely used magick.

But the Moon was of the royal line and with that lineage came powerful magicks... Millardo was a mage far stronger than Quatre could ever be... And the bard felt this as his body suddenly felt as if it was on fire... He was burning... Burning...

Millardo watched as the bard threw back his head and yelled as his body jerked with spasms of raw energy... Then Quatre calmed and stared at the ceiling... When had he fallen upon his back?

The Moon helped the man to his feet. "How do you feel?"

Quatre swayed on his feet and blinked, everything seemed to shine and waver before his eyes. It took a while before he could see clearly once more. "Fine, just a bit dizzy... I don't really feel any different." He began to doubt the spell's effects.

Millardo was ready for the bard's doubts and motioned toward a mirror. "See for yourself if the spell works."

Quatre walked toward the mirror and stared, his eyes widened at the view... There was him and he looked no different except for a haggard expression and lines around his eyes and mouth... And the strange aqua aura glow that surrounded him... What was worse were the angry, black streaks cutting through the pretty blue...

"What..."

"What do you see?" Millardo joined him and Quatre could see no aura of color around the Moon. "You are the only one that is gifted with this talent."

"I see color... It surrounds me like a cloak of magick, but..." He hesitated and Millardo raised an eyebrow.

"But what, bard?"

"It's streaked with black... The blue... Black cuts through it like angry lightning bolts."

Millardo waved aside his words, "That's nothing, probably a side-effect from the spell." He turned away and rubbed his hands together as he planned. "You shall leave immediately. Gather a few belongings, only the essentials." He added with a sharp look, "By simply repeating a line of the Dawn's prophecy you will be pulled toward that warrior till you find him or her..."

"I don't know the prophecy." Quatre tried to touch one of the black streaks, but felt nothing...

"You are a bard. You memorize things quickly, correct?" Quatre nodded and Millardo smiled. "Then I shall repeat the prophecy to you and you shall remember it. Understood?"

"Of course, my Moon." Yet, Quatre's heart wasn't in the reply... The black streaks... No matter what Millardo said he had a feeling that they meant something... And none of what he suspected was good.

"The warrior that bleeds with strength, the Elysian king of jests and death, the cat that hides in the flesh of a man, the bondlings of aria that hold betrayal and loyalty, the scholar of justice that carries the sword of truth, the silent clown with the tear-filled cup of sorrow, the woman haunted with shadow memories, and the disciple that clutches myth and reality in her soothing touch." Millardo spoke slowly, emphasizing each characteristic of the warriors... Quatre had the eerie feeling that Millardo was hiding something from him, that he was only revealing what was necessary to ensure Quatre's success...

"Shall I begin to pack?"

Millardo seemed surprised to find the bard still with him... By repeating the prophecy he'd been drawn into old memories and unknown futures. "Yes, yes..." He turned away from the bard and frowned. 'Relena... What will I do about you? Can I kill you sister dear? Can I?'

Quatre left the room, his eyes on the floor beneath his booted feet. 'Trowa, I should've listened to you... I find too late that he is the madman you tried to convince me of, yet he holds the key. THIS holds the key! She can't hide anymore.' His eyes narrowed and a twisted smile played across his angelic features, 'She can't hide.'

     *

"And so there we were... Surrounded on all sides by the blood and grime covered beasts. They weren't humans, but monsters. The rain poured upon us as they came toward Michael and I... They wanted more than our wealth; they wanted our blood."

"What did you do?" April, the pretty serving wench, asked, completely spellbound by his story.

Duo grinned, "We did what any respectable husband would do. We sought to protect our wives! Our long daggers were lost during the first attack so we used our hands and our teeth. I remember leaping upon one, his blade coming toward me with ferocious speed... I clawed his heart out before the sword reached me... So, we fought... Then grabbed our wives and ran from the scene. We were such a view that our own wives trembled at the sight of us and cried of demons."

"What were you doin' in the Dawn's lands any ways?" A suspicious man asked from his table and Duo's grin didn't even falter, neither did his tale.

"My father has just recently passed away and I have inherited his lands. Sadly, they border the Dawn's lands and my sister's husband and I decided it would be wise to show some support for the Reborn Dawn in exchange that she not send Drivers into my land."

"A wise decision..." The man nodded, believing and understanding such a tale. The Dawn ruled most of the world and she was not a woman one crossed.

"An ingenious decision." A second voice entered the conversation and their attention turned toward the woman stepping off the stairs and moving toward them. It was the Lord's wife, yet she resembled nothing of the meek and tattered woman from earlier. She wore a lavender dress that flared out at the hips, yet clung near the top. The silver patters glittered in the sparse lighting and she smiled smugly at those she passed.    Her blue-gray eyes laughed at a private joke, yet there was a sadness below the humor... A sadness few rarely saw... She was a delicate woman, but there was a strength about her that made one think twice before crossing her.

"A vision..." A man whispered and Duo half-smiled at Dorothy.

"Yeah..." She smirked in his direction and Duo shook his head. "A vision from hell."

The same man sighed wistfully, "Then let me be damned."

Duo rolled his eyes, then forced a smile at Dorothy. "Lina, what brings you downstairs?"

"I wish to speak with you. It's important." A man pulled out a chair for her and another handed her a cup of ale. Dorothy stared at them in surprise before slowly sitting down and accepting the ale.

"Go ahead, dear wife. Drink up." Duo watched with a sadistic grin as Dorothy glared at him and defiantly raised the cup to her lips... And nearly spat the contents across the table. She managed, however, to swallow the liquid with wide eyes.

"What..." Dorothy gasped out, staring at the cup in disbelief.

"You'll have to excuse Lina, she's never had ale before." Duo raised his own cup and took a large gulp of the strong liquor.

April smirked as Lady Lina stared at the drink with disgust. "I suppose the lady is too delicate and weak-stomached to handle such a strong drink, milord."

Blue-gray eyes flashed and rose to lock gazes with April. "Maybe I just don't have the stomach of a common wench..."

If looks could kill both women would be dead...

"However," Dorothy raised the cup to her lips, "I shall give this drink another try. Maybe it will grow on me." A few of the occupants cheered as she took another sip. It did taste a bit better the second time... She shook her head and frowned. She'd come down here for a drink, but at seeing Duo she realized she truly wished to speak to him... Of what she wasn't sure... Chide him? Confide that he'd hurt her? Never. She would not let him know that he had hurt her. It was a weakness she couldn't afford.

Duo leaned close, leering at her. "How about a challenge, sweet wife?"

Dorothy fluttered her eyelashes, "What sort of challenge, dear husband?"

He raised his cup, "A challenge to see what sort of stomach you do possess. The stomach of a lady or a wench?"

Dorothy's returning smile was more of a snarl, "Sounds intriguing. But there must be more to this than just the realization of what sort of 'stomach' I own... What will you wager if I beat you in this little game?"

He leaned back in his wooden chair, "Let us decide when the winner is chosen. The mystery makes the game just the more enticing."

Dorothy raised her cup to his and they crashed together with a wooden clunk. At the same time both threw the remaining ale in the cups into their mouths. Duo wiped his mouth, "Let the game begin."

     *

Unlike others, Midii had not sought shelter when the rain had started. She welcomed the pouring water; it allowed her mind to settle on more mundane things instead of what to do with memories. What did these woods want with her?! What was she to do? It was done! Over! The boy was gone. Maybe even dead for all she knew... Catherine was safe in her position as Lady Pluto...

Or was she?

The thought chilled the Spy Mistress. The Moon had attacked the Dawn's Capital... The only other true resistance left was the Galaxy Court.

The Moon was an ambitious, yet cruelly wise man. He would attack the Galaxy Court soon before they could set up strong defense.

Cathie was in danger.

Midii faltered in her walking, nearly stepping into a dirty puddle. The rain still came down, but had calmed in the start of the new day. The moon still glowed down at her for it was night, yet day...

Catherine was in trouble...

Their friendship had ended years ago, yet... She had lost that friendship to gain safety for Catherine and now it could be taken away. Midii had no idea what was happening in the outside world... All she knew was the trail of Relena and the Panther... She had to reach the Dawn soon, yet Midii had the eerie feeling that something would happen before that ever happened.

Cathie was in danger.

Yes... Something definitely would happen before she found the Dawn.

     *

Hilde watched as the fire danced before her eyes. The cave was deep with a tunnel that led deeper inside the mountains, but they stayed near the front. The fire had been built with some timber found inside the dry cave and warmed the stone shelter. She glanced to where the healer was sleeping, one hand stretched out as if reaching for something... Near her, actually sitting in the direction the hand reached, was the silent ex-Moon soldier.

His eyes were closed, but she knew he was awake... She sighed, wondering how she'd gotten herself into this mess. So many things seemed to be changing around them... Laws that had been set into place for so many years seemed to be shattering before her very eyes. This man was not a slave and Hilde could not say he was... Because truthfully he wasn't.

She knew that in the smaller merchant countries men were free... Yet, many of those countries were corrupt... But was that truly the men's fault? She'd seen cruel woman before... Not all women were kind and wise...

Why were men different?

Because the Mother ordered it so. But why? Why?

The question haunted the blood warrior as she watched the dancing flames.

     *

The bard was gone. He'd left to find the other warriors. Millardo turned toward his men, ignoring the drizzle of rain that fell upon his armor. "Today, we march." He shouted, "Today, we attack the Galaxy's Court. And today, we WILL WIN!"

A roar went up then the columns of battle-ready men walked by Millardo as he mounted his stallion. 'Today... A new rule begins.'

     *

How many drinks had he guzzled by now? Duo wasn't sure, yet the way the room seemed to spin around him hinted that it had been a lot. Elves had a high tolerance for liquor... Oh, yeah... He'd definitely drank too much then... But it was her fault. If she had just stopped sooner then this wouldn't have happened.

The 'game' had lasted late into the night and many watchers had left or were snoring away on a tabletop. April had also left after receiving a severe tongue lashing from a drunk Dorothy. The sorceress could be truly cruel and devious at times. He chuckled and stood, nearly falling... Yet his elf genes enabled him to keep his balance. And as he stood, the liquor's effects were starting to fade. Another good thing about being an elf, even if you did drink too much the effects didn't last long.

He shook Dorothy who was half sprawled across the table and she blinked up at him and yawned. "Go away... I'm not hungry..." She closed her eyes and he shook her harder.

Dorothy muttered, "I don't want to choose a sire..."

Duo raised an eyebrow and shook her harder. "Dorothy, wake up!" Yeah, the liquor's effect was definitely disappearing with each passing minute.

Dorothy moaned and opened her eyes, slowly sitting up. "Duo?" Dorothy yawned and smiled sweetly, "Hello, Duo." She giggled and pulled his braid. "Ding, dong!" Dorothy laughed harder and Duo's eyes widened.

"Time for bed, Dorothy." He helped her to her feet and she swayed.

"Bed? Why, Duo," she purred, nearly falling on him, "I didn't know you cared." He caught her as she started giggling again. He finally gave up putting her on her own feet and picked her up.

"Definitely never going to let you drink again."

She yawned again and curled up against his chest. He kicked their room's door open and placed her on the bed. He sent the open chest a curious glance before raising the sheets to cover the sleepy Dorothy. He moved to close the door. He'd sleep on the floor. Just tonight though. Tomorrow when she was lucid, she could sleep on the floor.

Coming back he sent the sheets around Dorothy an envious look before settling on the floor... But a voice stopped him from getting comfortable.

"Duo?"

He looked up to find Dorothy staring at him. There was something strange about the way she looked right then... Vulnerable, he realized with shock. She looked vulnerable.

"Yes?"

"Stay with me. Please."

"Dorothy..."

Her eyes began to drift shut, "Promise me... Please..."

He was quiet and her voice came out as a plea, but also foggy... As if she were speaking more in a dream state than reality. "Please. Please, don't leave me alone."

"I..." Duo closed his eyes, "Promise, Dorothy..."

She smiled peacefully and with an innocence that came with sleep, "Than-." She was asleep before she could even finish the word.

Duo stared at her sleeping form, wondering about what she'd just asked of him. Then lied back down. She was drunk and tired. She didn't know what she was saying. Yet, he didn't stop the next words coming out of his mouth. Words spurred by a force unknown to him. "I'll protect you, Dorothy." He tucked the sheets tightly around her. "I promise..."

The promises seemed to shimmer in the very air around him, like gold... Then disappeared with a sigh...

     *

Lady Pluto left the court early morn, the first rays of light glinting off her auburn curls. She turned once to stare at the magnificent castle that had been her home for so many years. After witnessing the sudden death of her mother the Pluto Manor had held too many ghastly memories for her to stay there. As soon as she had accepted the station as Pluto, she'd moved into the Court.

Now, she was leaving it... The mask of Lady Pluto faltered and Catherine felt tears slide down her face. She'd left a warning for Sylvia, hoping that maybe someone would heed it... Yet, she doubted it. So many people... Many would die in this second battle...

She forced herself to look away and squinted at something down the road... Two somethings... No, two figures running toward her. She gasped as the first runner skidded to a stop, nearly ramming into her. Catherine's eyes widened, "Trowa!"

Trowa stared at the woman. "How do you know my name? Who are you?" His stance had become suspicious and he radiated danger...

"Lady Pluto!"

Catherine recognized the woman that had joined them. "Captain Noin, you survived! We thought you dead!" This was too much. Her brother was here, standing right before her. The Dawn's Captain was alive.

           "Trowa, stop her! Stop her before she ruins everything!" Noin shouted as arrows rained down on the two.

           "At any cost... The Dawn must win this war." Trowa replied coldly before chasing after a cloudy figure. "Stop!"

Catherine gasped as the vision left her and Trowa caught the swaying girl. "Who is she?"

Noin raised an eyebrow at the pale young woman, "She is Lady Pluto, the youngest member of the Galaxy Council. What is wrong with you, lady?"

"Visions... Seer-visions." Catherine managed to stand on her own feet without Trowa's support. "What are you doing here?" 'With him,' Catherine didn't add though she desperately wanted to know what her brother was doing so close to the soon-to-be massacre.

"We come to warn the Council. The Moon and his forces are moving to attack the Galaxy Court." Noin stared at the lady sharply, "What are you doing out here, lady?"

"Escaping before that battle comes. I have to find the Dawn. I can't explain. No time! We must go! You can't go to the Court! You won't be able to stop it!" Catherine was close to hysterics now and she grabbed Trowa, "I will not lose you again! I won't!"

Trowa's eyes widened as he stared at the sobbing woman. There was something familiar about her... Yet, when he tried to grasp the memory of where he'd seen her, it disappeared into a mist.

"We must go. The Galaxy Court cannot fall like the Dawn's Capital." Lucrezia answered stubbornly, but her words were punctuated with an earth-shattering sound and the three watched as the earth shifted around the Court and flames danced above it.

The Moon and his soldiers were here.

"Too late..." Lucrezia whispered and Catherine nodded through her tears.

"Trust me. There's nothing we can do, but leave before they see us."

           Flames danced around a woman sheathed in light. She advanced upon her enemy with fury raging in her eyes.

"Damn her for doing this to me." She muttered as once again Trowa was forced to support the trembling girl.

Lucrezia sent another look toward the Galaxy Court and the battle raging around it. She took a step forward, but Lady Pluto's sharp, commanding voice stopped her. "Do not, Captain Noin. I need your help. By leaving me for that battle you will only die foolishly. Duty first to the Dawn."

With a painful moan, Noin turned away and faced Lady Pluto. "Aye, my lady... Aye..."

Noin grabbed Catherine's arm and pulled her toward the woods lining the road. Trowa followed, his eyes darting toward the fighting in the distance. He could hear the screams of the dying from here. He'd been too late. Millardo would take this Court just like the Dawn's... It was over. There was no more true resistance left if he won the Galaxy Court.

Trowa pulled his attention away and toward the strange woman. She wore a hooded cloak of navy blue velvet, obviously wealthy, and if Noin was correct than she was one of the most powerful women in the Dawn's lands... She didn't look like one for traipsing through the wet woods. She carried a small pack beneath the cloak, slung over one shoulder. He'd caught a glimpse of it when he'd caught her. It seemed to be packed with clothes mainly, only a highbred noble would think to bring soft, embroidered clothing instead of a weapon. He shook his head. This woman confused him. How did she know his name? How? He'd never seen her before, yet...

And what did she mean by not losing him again? When had she ever lost him to begin with? Trowa entered the woods with a troubled expression. His heart told him to trust this Lady Pluto, yet old habits died hard... For now, he'd continue to be suspicious of both Lady Pluto and Captain Noin...

     *

Dorothy blinked and stared at the ceiling. She had to be dreaming... She was in a soft bed, warm, and cozy. She smiled sleepily and turned over and gasped. There on the floor next to her was Duo. Last night's events slammed into her and she fell backwards into the soft mattress. She realized briefly that the mattress was filled with soft, down feathers... Expensive for such a low-class inn...

The rest of her mind was on much more important details.

'What the hell came over me?! I asked him to promise me to stay with me! Why? That ale! That cursed ale!' She moaned and covered her head with the covers. 'Who are you kidding, Dorothy? You knew what you were asking of him last night.' She felt tears spill over in her eyes and slide down her face. 'I just don't want to be alone again... I've always been alone... No one's ever just seen me and just talked... They've never just spoken to me like an average person. Relena used me for my advice, so I could help her rule. The nobles used me to gain favor with Relena. My mother tried to use me to sire her grandchild. Quatre uses me for my magicks.'

'But isn't Duo using you, too?' A nasty little voice spoke up in her mind. 'He only wants you so you can speak on his behalf.'

'He doesn't lie to me. He tells me the truth. Doesn't he?'

The voice laughed bitterly, 'How do you know? He didn't tell you about being an elf till he couldn't hide it anymore.'

'It's done. I can't take it back. The truth is... He's all I have for now... I'm weak without his help. Without him Quatre would find me immediately probably and then what? What would that man do?' She shuddered, 'What does he want?'

"Dorothy?" Duo's voice called to her groggily as he sat up and saw the sheet covered woman. "Dorothy? Are you awake?"

She pushed the sheets away and sat up, still clothed in the lavender dress. She smirked at him, "Yes." She stood and moved around him, toward the basin with its sparkling mirror. "Do you think you could go down and ask the inn-keeper if he could drag some water up here and a tub. I feel positively dreadful."

Duo yawned and rubbed his eyes as he also stood. He nodded slightly, "Sure." He started toward the door and his hand was on the knob when her voice made him halt.

"Oh, and Duo," she turned toward him, "what I said last night." Dorothy's smirk widened, "Just forget about it. I was drunk and for a second..." She shrugged, "Just don't think about it."

He hesitated for a second, then nodded and forced a laugh. "I understand, milady. You humans often become addle-minded in your cups." Then Duo opened the door and was walking down the stairs to fetch the inn-owner.

Dorothy watched him go then turned to face the mirror. She stared at her face, glad that Duo had not looked closely... Or he might have seen the tears still streaming down her face...

     *

Quatre moved quietly through the woods, repeating the prophecy over and over as he walked. He could feel tugs from five different positions... Two were very strong... He could feel three glows from those two... Three warriors clumped together... The other three positions only held one warrior apiece. He would go for one of the clumps... But which one?

He repeated again and spun to the west. They were closer... So much closer... He didn't know which three warriors they were since he was repeating the entire prophecy... But for now the simple fact that three were waiting...

Quatre smiled. He'd find them and they would bring him to Dorothy and then he could kill them. He frowned. He had to for Dorothy's benefit. He began to walk westward.

Hours passed with him continuing to repeat the prophecy... After awhile he was disappointed to realize that the warriors he was going toward did not contain Dorothy, but in a way that was a good thing... If he was to join them as a spy he couldn't have Dorothy and that gladiator revealing him in the very beginning. He sighed as he continued to trudge along the wet woods, angrily snapping branches as he did.

He was close. So close.

     *

Hilde's head snapped up, as did Wufei's. "Someone's coming..." Wufei slowly stood and walked toward the blood warrior who was now standing at the cave's entrance.

"Who?"

She winced slightly as she reopened another wound, not because of the pain, but because she knew the healer would let her hear about it later on. Hilde looked out with her enhanced vision and raised both eyebrows. "The one that freed that man; the blonde haired one..."

"The bard... He's a mage, a powerful one." Wufei frowned, "Did Millardo send him after us? If so, how did he find us? I thought you went out and hid our trail."

She also frowned. "I did..."

"My sword is also magick... But it cannot repel his attacks... It chooses who it kills... It would not cut down the Reborn Dawn. Can your blood powers defeat him?"

Her hand tightened around the hilt of her short sword, "I am stronger than most humans, including yourself... If he harms me, my strength will merely multiply... Take the healer and go into the mountain. She will need your protection if he gets past me."

Wufei made as if to argue when a moan sounded behind them. They turned to see Sally yawn and blink sleepy eyes toward them. He slowly nodded, his eyes hard with grief and guilt, but he knew she was right. He grabbed Sally's arm and hefted her to her feet, ignoring her protests. "We have to go. That bard is coming after us."

"But Hilde-."

"I'm going out to stop him, Sally." Hilde smiled, "Everything will be fine, healer. Just follow him... I'll meet you soon."

Sally shook her head, "No." Wufei didn't waste anymore time. He swung the woman over his shoulder and started down the tunnel. "No! Hilde! No! Wufei, put me down! Hilde!"

The blood warrior sighed, then began to make her way into the woods.

     *

Une watched as her King slumped into a chair downstairs. He stared at his hands and she had never seen him look so... sad... Even when he'd showed some of his sorrow for his father's death, he hadn't looked so... hopeless... She moved to walk toward him, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her.

"I'll speak to him." Solo told her, then walked around her and toward their depressed King. Duo heard Solo's approach and plastered a grin on his handsome face.

"Good morn, Michael."

"Good morn, Bryan." Solo sat down across from Duo and thanked the wench that brought them each a bowl of warm stew. "What ails thee, cousin?" He whispered after making sure no one was in listening distance.

Duo continued to grin as he blew on his spoonful of stew, "Eh? I'm fine. Do I look that horrible?" He laughed, "I should probably follow Lina's example and take a bath."

"Is it her that bothers you? The human woman?"

Duo glanced sharply at his cousin; "She is the key to my meeting and speaking with the new Dawn. She's annoying and snobbish." Solo just continued to stare at the braided elf and Duo sighed and dropped his spoon into his bowl. "I promised her, Solo."

"What?!" Solo had to force his voice back into a low whisper. "You promised her what? What did you promise her, you fool. You wretched fool." The elf soldier gripped the table with white knuckles. "Earlier you mentioned promising to return her to that Dawn... yet, that was a lie. Thank the Mother and Father for that, but this? You've promised her what, Duo?! What have you promised the human woman?"

Duo winced, but had expected this. "Solo, I cannot say..."

The elf soldier actually began to tremble now. "Gods, what have you done, Duo? What have you done?"

"I know the consequences, Solo. I know, damn it!" He slammed a fist on the table, earning curious glances from a few. "I am the King." He hissed in a low whisper, "I understand what I have done and I will handle it."

"Cousin, King, friend, elves must keep their promises, no matter what the cost. We cannot break our word. We cannot. Have you destroyed us all with this promise?"

"No... Only I am involved. Only I."

Solo stood, "You are the King. Only you includes all of us. I pray, cousin, that this promise was worth it. I truly do."

Duo pushed his bowl away and stared at the tabletop. "So do I... So do I..."

     *

Dorothy stepped out of the now ice cold water and dried herself off with one of the inn's threadbare towels. She walked toward the chest and slipped the red velvet dress on and frowned... Her shoes from earlier were more holes than shoes and the purple slippers were a bit loose... She sighed and lifted the boots out of the chest and fitted them on. Like the slippers they were loose, but didn't fall off when she did a kick. She towel dried her hair as much as possible then moved toward the door.

"Promise, Dorothy..."

She shook her head. It was over, done with it. She had told him to forget it and he would. Dorothy opened the door and descended the stairs... Only to be met halfway by the inn-owner. The greasy man's eyes widened as he surveyed her clothes and he began to mutter as he stumbled away from her. She raised an eyebrow, but made no move to stop him as he flattened himself against the railing as she passed, then bolted up the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairs she was greeted by Solo... If you could call it a greeting... The strong, dark elf soldier's eyes locked on her and before she could gasp he had her arm in a viselike grip. "What are you doing? Let go!" She hissed as he pulled her into the shadowed area beneath the stairs.

"What did he promise you, human?"

It was the first time she'd ever seen him angry before... Solo had always been silent and gentle around her, but now... Now, she understood why he'd been chosen to wield one of those strange, deadly swords. "What does that have to do with anything?" She raised both eyebrows, "And how did you find out anyway?"

His eyes narrowed and the illusion around him flickered. "He told me he promised you something, but he won't say what."

"If he doesn't wish to tell you then I see no reason for me to. Good day, Lord Solo." She moved to pass him, but he blocked her efficiently. "Move out of my way. I care not if you be lord or soldier or elf. To me you are, but a man and where I come from men are mere slaves. Do not push me, male." Her eyes were like shards of ice and Solo realized that the blood dagger had slid from where she'd placed it in her sleeve and into her ready hand. Dangerous that dagger was... Dwarf magicks.

"You are not in your land anymore, human." Solo answered in a low, dangerous tone. "His promise to you is a deadly one."

Dorothy waved him aside, "I told him to forget it any ways. Why worry so much?"

Shock registered on his face, "You told him to forget it? He didn't tell you... Damn you, Duo... Why didn't you tell her?" Her muttered the last more to himself than her, but Dorothy's hand tightened on the dagger.

"Tell me what? What is it, Solo? What should he have told me?"

"Elves must keep their promises, little one." He explained; his tone once more gentle. "It is more than honor, it is in our very genes. We must keep our promises. We must. Even if our minds wish not to if we've promised to do something we will do it no matter what we wish."

Dorothy sighed, "If you must know, all I asked was for him to stay with me that one night." She was lying somewhat... She hadn't specified a day or time for him to stay, but Solo didn't need to know that.

"Well..." He was silent for a minute or two and watched as she slid the dagger back into her sleeve. "There is a way for us to be sure... A way for you to break the promise."

"I already told him to forget it!"

He shook his head, "That won't work. There are particular words that must be said."

"What then?" She looked toward the common room, wishing he'd hurry so she could eat breakfast. She sighed... This was her fault. If she'd only kept her mouth shut last night, hadn't drank so much of that cursed ale, hadn't allowed him to get under her skin and hurt her feelings...

"By the stars, moon, and sun, I swear that there be no promise between us. Before the Mother and the Father, I cut all such bonds away and shatter the promise connecting us."

"What father? I don't even know my father." She frowned angrily, then stopped as she noticed his surprise. "What is it now?"

"The Father is one of our patron gods... We worship only two. The Mother and the Father..."

Dorothy's eyes widened, "What?" Breakfast was suddenly forgotten as Solo began explaining his religion and as he put it, the true religion that her ancestors had once practiced themselves...

     *

Quatre stopped and his eyes drifted toward his right. Someone was coming... Trying to circle him... It was one of the warriors in the cave. How? How had they found him and why had they come out to meet him? He called to his elemental birthright magicks, earth and wind, and called out to the lurker.

"Whoever is out there show yourself! I mean you no harm."

A figure stepped out and he took a step back in surprise. It was the strange warrior woman that had helped Wufei and the healer escape and she also had an aura... Only hers was red and streaks also cut through it, but they were not black... They were white and they seemed to mock his black streaks. He cursed his luck. Why did she of all people have to be a Dawn warrior? But then he forced a friendly smile. Of course, he hadn't been with the fighting soldiers so maybe.

She drew her short sword and he saw that blood coursed down one arm. "So, mage, what brings you so deep in the woods away from your master?"

Or maybe she had spoken to the healer and Wufei. Quatre tightened his hold on his powers and watched as she approached him warily.

"I am the only master of myself, a fact that you females never understood." He frowned, "You've been talking to the traitor?"

"Wufei? Yes. He told me a little of you, but it is what I've seen of you and your deeds that makes me meet you with an unsheathed weapon."

"And what have you seen of me, warrior woman?"

"I saw you set free a young man then have the healer take the blame. I saw you watch from a window while she and he were about to be killed. I have seen enough, mage, to know that I do not trust you." Hilde smiled coldly, "And I will not let you hurt her or the soldier, no matter what your master wishes."

Quatre's jaw jutted out stubbornly. He knew he was to wait for a signal from Millardo, but... If two warriors already knew about him, shouldn't he get rid of them first? Well, of course not Dorothy, but this woman...

He raised one hand and released raw energy of earth and watched as the woman jumped out of the way of the shifting, heaving earth and rolled a few feet away from him. She slashed with her sword and he jumped back. Quatre carried no weapon, but his magicks... He only had his lute, which the gladiator had shown him could become a useful weapon in times of dire need. However, he did not want to waste it on this woman who he'd quickly take care of.

Hilde's smile widened, her expression bordering on psychotic pleasure, as her blood poured faster, dripping to the ground. The fighting was opening the wounds the healer had tried so hard to heal with the few plants available. She came at the mage faster, ignoring the earth that rippled beneath her, trying to knock her aside. Her sword cut closer and closer to him, twice cutting through his well-made traveling clothes.

Quatre cursed as the sword nearly nicked his skin for the second time and doubled his efforts. However, it was hard to use earth when she was so close... The ripples had managed to trip him twice now. He grabbed at wind and loosed it, watching as the warrior woman was thrown back into a tree.

     *

Heero glanced back at Relena, watching as she fiddled with the gloves he'd loaned her and a cold wind caused her to shudder. A night in the rain, plus the death of that nameless soldier, were not faring well with the woman... He turned away. She would soon catch a cold if the weather continued its continuous rain and cold winds. Winter was here and making itself most definitely known. He growled under his breath. He did not like snow...

And traveling with a female human was not helping things... She needed shelter, a warm fire, a well-cooked meal... They would not find these things in the woods... Heero cursed his luck. He hated villages as much as he hated snow...

He brought a map of the terrain up in his mind and smiled slightly. Ransik... The one merchant country that he was almost positive the Moon's soldiers would not be waiting. It was a place of too many double-dealings, suspicious disappearances, and thefts. He could hide Relena there... People went to Ransik to hide and no one would ask too many questions if he showed he wouldn't answer any.

Now, that he had a location in mind, Heero turned his thoughts to other problems... Like the disappearance of the half-breed. Where had she gone? One minute she'd been there with them, the next...'It's because of her that I saved this woman and now she's left me without word of where she's gone. The mind of a bird, she has.'

"Heero?" Relena whispered, "Do we have any food left?"

Another problem... Their food supply had relied heavily on the game he caught... But with the rains it was hard to snare an animal... Most were hiding away in their burrows so they had begun to eat what was in his small rations... A block of cheese, a hard loaf of bread, and his canteen of water.

"We'll reach a village soon..."

"A village?" The pleasure in her voice was undeniable. "How close are we? Which village? Are there many people?"

"Not one of yours. A village in Ransik, a merchant country."

She paled, "But..." Then Relena sighed, "I suppose any human civilization is better than none."

Heero stayed silent... It was only right that she want to see her own kind... After all, he only looked human, inside he was not.

So why did he feel angry that she'd rather be in a village with humans than in the woods with him?

     *

Hilde blinked and shook her head, trying to rid her vision of the blurry stars. She had slammed her head against the tree when he'd used his other element. She growled as she slowly got to her feet, watching him warily. He wasn't paying much attention to her, but was walking in the direction of the mountains once more.

"MAGE!" Her voice lashed out like a whip and he spun around, his face betraying his shock.

"You live!"

"Aye, but you shall not for long!" Hilde raised her sword and let out a war-cry as she barreled toward the surprised bard. Quatre backed away and fell over his own feet. Her sword slashed down at him and he rolled out of the way mere seconds before being split in two. A quick jump to his feet saved him from being skewered.

His blue eyes narrowed, "Surrender and stop this foolishness!"

Hilde threw back her head and laughed; cold, brutal laughter... The laughter of a blood warrior in battle. Hilde's blood sang with the dance of combat and her mind coolly calculated where she should swing her sword.

Quatre scrambled away from the insane warrior woman, trying to shove her away with wind but she seemed immune to his attacks... The more he lashed out with magicks, the more he slashed through her skin, the more blood he spilled... The more aggressive and agile she became...

The sword cut through the air and Hilde smiled grimly as it caught fragile skin and tore. Quatre let out a pain-filled and stunned yell as his hands rose to his bleeding face. Her sword had caught him across his right cheekbone, slashing horizontally toward his nose... Blood dripped down his face and he stared in surprise at the blood on his fingertips.

Surprise and pain soon turned to rage and hate. "You." He called to his magicks, not just his birthright elements, and released.

          Hilde screamed as fire lashed out at her and the earth heaved, but not to trip her... The very earth rose and surrounded her while the wind tore at her, chapping her lips, as the fire scorched her flesh.

Quatre turned away from the screaming blood warrior and, with the cold eyes of a deranged killer, made his toward the mountains...

     *

Dorothy stumbled away from Solo without another word, her mind teeming with new information... She vaguely heard him mention that they were going to buy some horses... Horses would be nice... Just like the clothes... Warm food, that was nice too.

'We've been wrong all these years.'

'No! No!' A part of her stubbornly clung to what she'd been taught for all these years... 'He's lying! He has to be! Male! Male lies! Lies!'

'No... Not lies... Truth... Mother, what have we been teaching our children?' She shook her head, 'Father? We know nothing of the Father or even a mortal father... My own was a slave whose identity my mother kept from me... My mother...'

She rubbed her left temple and leaned against the inn's doorway. 'I don't even feel the grief anymore... I rarely even think about it... My mother is dead and I killed the old Dawn... Nothing... I feel nothing... It's too far in the past. Too much has happened since then. Too much.'

A man, more a boy, pushed by her and into the inn, gasping hard. "News!" He leaned over, his hands on his knees, "From the Dawn's lands!" Another intake of air. "The Galaxy Court has been taken!" Mutters from the inn's occupants. "The Moon has taken it for his own! He calls it the Moon's Capital now! He rules the land of she-demons!"

Dorothy's eyes widened and she stumbled. 'The Galaxy Court... Taken? Not possible. Not like the Dawn's Capital. No! Relena.' Her eyes hardened, 'Relena is the rightful ruler. SHE is the DAWN!'

Someone steadied her and she turned to face violet eyes set in a handsome, yet frowning face. "Your Dawn still lives or else the Moon would be shouting of her death. There is still a chance." Duo whispered in her ear and stiffly Dorothy nodded. "I think, however, this news shall force us on our way sooner. We must buy some supplies and horses."

"Of course." He released his hold on her and a slow grin took its place on his lips. Dorothy continued to remain emotionless, the shock of the news affecting her more than she let on.

"I meant to ask, where do the clothes come from?" Duo asked as the two walked outside, waiting for the two elf soldiers.

"The chest in our room." She frowned, "Someone just left them there... Well-made clothes, too... Why would someone leave in such a hurry that they'd leave their clothes?"

"Someone who is running from something might."

She nodded, "I thought of that... But why hasn't the innkeeper taken the clothes for his own then... Why just leave them in the same chest for so long that they begin to gather dust?"

Duo also frowned, "I don't know..." He inspected the dress, then shrugged. "A mystery... Michael, sister dear!" He exclaimed as Solo and Une joined them outside. Once again the two soldiers wore illusions that hid their swords from sight and their elf features.

Dorothy did not pay attention to their surroundings as they began to walk... She focused more on the ground before her. 'The Moon's Capital... Who is this Moon? How could he have hid his army from us for so long? It must be huge to have overrun the Galaxy Court and the Dawn's Capital in so little time. More mages? Is he a mage? And what of Quatre? Is he with this Moon? What if he is? What shall I do? I failed once in killing him... Will I fail again if I face him in the oncoming battles?'

'Where are you, Relena? Are you safe? Are you even alive? That figure in black... He took you away, but to safety or death I do not know... And if you are alive, could you forgive me for being weak? For letting the dagger take over and killing your mother? Am I a traitor? Am I? Not even I am sure... In the beginning... I would have placed my head before you, my life was yours for the taking... But this traveling, it has changed me in so many ways... Will we be the same girls when we meet up in the future? Or have we both changed so much...'

'I find it hard to remember what happened mere weeks, or is it a month, ago... It seems years have passed since we were sneaking below the commoners;' seats in the gladiator arena and I was scolding you to put your shoes back on. We were naïve, Relena... Even though we were two of the most powerful women in the Dawn's lands, we were so naïve...'

"These will do very well." Solo's voice brought her back to the present and she stared around in bewilderment. She didn't even remember stopping at the small grassy enclosure. It was a fenced in area and a small herd of horses grazed inside. Dorothy turned to see Solo handing a hostler a pouch of coins... And Duo was leading two horses out with Une right behind him leading two more.

Dorothy didn't know much about horses... But even she could tell that the elves had chosen the best of the lot... A tall black stallion that kept eyeing them and lifting a foot as if to kick any that came too close... A sleek chestnut steed with a black tail and mane followed Duo with an easy step. A tall mare, gray and white, pulled its lips back when it passed Dorothy and she frowned at the horse. Her eyes turned toward the other horse Duo was leading... A beautiful mare that seemed to glisten in the sun's sparse light. Her coat was a light tan with silvery hairs here and there... And a silver tail and mane...

But it was more the way the mare was trying to nip at Duo that caught her attention. Dorothy walked forward and placed a hand on the mare's nose. She leaned forward and breathed in the horse's nostrils, allowing it to take in her scent. It snuffled for a bit, then calmed down under her soothing hand.

"This one's mine." Dorothy answered with a challenging glare to the other three, just daring them to disagree. However, Duo grinned and handed her the reins.

"The most temperamental of the mares is what the hostler said. Of course, she's yours. No one else would be able to handle her."

As if to punctuate his words, the mare snapped at Dorothy's hand. The blonde woman growled at the mare.

Duo laughed, "Perfect." He pulled the chestnut stallion along as Une handed the reins of the other stallion to Solo... They made their way back to the inn and stabled the horses... Supplies had to be bought now, then... One more night in a semi-comfortable inn before it was back to sleeping on hard, cold ground.

Dorothy suspected it would be even worse now... Winter was coming and the frigid winds were dancing around her... A strong, warm cloak would definitely be on her list...

     *

"Where are we?" Sally whispered as they made their way through the deep tunnel. Wufei had long since placed her back on her feet and the healer had learned not to try and run back to Hilde after he'd caught her twice now. The tunnel wasn't pitch black for crystals embedded in the stone walls seemed to throw off light, but still it was hard to see more than ten feet in front of them as they continued to walk. The healer studied the crystals with their inner fires and raised a questioning eyebrow... It almost seemed as if the crystals had been placed there by some unknown presence... But of course that was ridiculous. No one could possibly live inside the mountains!

Wufei didn't answer her question, but kept a steady hand on the hilt of his sword. He had an eerie feeling that they were being watched. A bit ahead he could hear the sounds of water dripping steadily on rock and when he breathed in deeply he could smell the damp, musty scent of water and granite. He supposed that they'd soon reach a pool of water.

He was correct and Wufei growled as Sally ran toward the water. He followed her as she kneeled beside the murky water and watched as she wrinkled her nose at the putrid smell drifting from the foul pool. "It shouldn't be like this..." She whispered and he nodded agreement with her. The water seemed... tainted.

Wufei crouched beside her and scooped a handful of the water up and brought it to his nose. It smelt like decay. He let it fall back into the cloudy pool, then raised a wet finger to his mouth. Sally watched him intensely as he tasted the drops clinging to his skin.

"Death..." Wufei rubbed his hand on his pants and reached for his water canteen hanging from his belt. He quickly filled his mouth with the canteen's clean, cool water and swirled it about in his mouth. He spat the water out onto the stone floor, trying to rid his mouth of the rancid pool's taste. "It tastes like death."

Sally didn't question him on his description. As a healer, she understood what he meant... Death had many flavors... Yet this was a foul death... A taint... But what caused it? Or had the pool always been like this?

A rock scraped against the floor somewhere in the shadows and Sally stiffened. Someone else was in the cavern.

     *

Galea raced through the forest, occasionally leaping from the ground and flying, then she'd land and continue to run. She never paused. She could not pause.

'Foolish! Idiot! Spent too much time with that fool trying to make him see the truth and you forgot what you must do! Sally. Please, don't let me be late! Please!'

The catriffin slowed to a stop as a figure came stalking through the bush. She hid in the shadows of a large oak tree and watched as the blond mage stormed by. Galea's eyes widened as she saw the blue, black streaked aura surrounding the man. 'Too late for him... Too late. Insane warrior, possessed... He will have to be destroyed.' She shook her head sadly, then began to run again as he disappeared from sight.

Moaning... She could hear moaning in the distance and Galea ran toward it... And stopped in horror.    Another of the warriors, one that shone red with white streaks, was trapped waist-high in earth and her arms bore nasty burns while her face was nearly blue with cold. The wind and fires had stopped soon after Quatre had left Hilde, but they had been enough...

Her chapped lips bled and life still flared behind those eyes, those dark eyes... Eyes that had felt pain no human should ever even hear of. Galea ran toward her. 'Not gone! No! We need you! You are one of the true warriors! You cannot die. You cannot!'

Hilde stared at the catriffin that meowed at her and the blood warrior managed a feeble smile. She opened her mouth and tried to speak, but her throat was too dry and parch and only a hoarse wheeze escaped. Galea began to dig at the rock and earth around the woman. 'I will not lose you. She needs you more now than ever... Now that one has been turned... Mage, why? Sally...' The catriffin doubled her efforts and Hilde chuckled silently.

Warm blood coursed from her lips and nose and Hilde winced as she began to move away the earth holding her, the burns on her arms made the slightest movement feel like hell... But she struggled and kicked her enclosed legs and the blood continued to pour...

Galea watched as the woman freed herself. 'Strong... Yet, even death can come to a blood warrior...' She winced, 'I can do nothing for her now. She needs Sally and Sally needs me.' Galea meowed then Hilde watched as the winged cat ran, in the same direction the mage had just gone.

She watched for him as she ran through the woods... He was making his way to Sally, now she was sure. Before she'd only been following her senses to one of the warriors and found Hilde, but now... Sally lied in this direction and he was moving toward her. A turned warrior. A dark warrior. A Moon warrior.

Galea spread her wings and flew below the branches, trying to cover ground faster. She had to reach Sally before he did. Before THEY did.

The mage had reached the cave entrance and did not hesitate as he entered. He was enraged and Galea could now see why... Dry blood coated his face from where Hilde's sword had cut him. She flew over his head, ignoring his startled exclaims and made her way down the tunnel.

'Time... I need time, yet the world seems to have very little to spare anymore.' She pushed her small, tired body even harder and then saw it... Two human figures, one holding a sword in his hands, the other slowly rising from where she'd been kneeling beside a pool. And both humans seemed to glow... The catriffin knew Sally's glow, a soft orange aura that, like Hilde's, was streaked with white. The man beside her also wore an aura, one the color of silver steel; it fit him. She was surprised to see that his streaks were a mix of white and black... Though the white predominated. Galea let out a cry as she began to fall. She had pushed her body to the limit and she was so tired...

"Galea!" Sally cried and her voice seemed to pour new strength into the catriffin.

'Sally.'

She landed on Sally's left arm, panting, yet she had made it. Wufei stared at the creature from where he stood on Sally's right. 'Perfect.'

Shadows separated from the dark and began to come toward the three and Galea smiled. 'And now THEY come.'

     *

'He truly doesn't remember me...' Catherine watched Trowa's face in the fire's light. 'They made him forget everything... But his name! He must remember some! He knows his name!' She nearly wanted to cry as she clung to that thin thread of hope. 'He must remember me and mother and,' her eyes narrowed, 'Midii...'

"I'm not sure I understand what you've been telling us, Lady Pluto." Noin spoke from where she was taking the first watch. "The seer transferred her powers to you... And you escaped without warning anyone?"

"Who would have believed me, Captain? It is known that I have no magical powers to speak of. They'd think I was upset over the recent events, jumping at shadows... However, I did leave a note for a friend..." 'Sylvia... Is she dead? Oh, Sylvia...'

"I see..." But Catherine could hear the poorly hidden disgust in the Captain's voice. 'It was the only thing I could do! I am not a fighter! I am a council member, not a soldier... Never a fighter...'

Trowa had heard the same thing repeated over the night between the two women... He'd kept his silence. If the Captain wanted to let the Lady know that she didn't agree with her choice then fine, it was no business of his... Yet, he tired of it. "Did you bring any food?"

She jumped at his voice and turned wide eyes toward him. Trowa winced under those eyes... They seemed to be pleading with him to tell her something, to do something, but what he didn't know. "A little... My pack is more full with what the seer told me to bring."

"And that would be?" Noin sounded sarcastic and Catherine glared at the Captain's shadowy figure.

"The Cup of Sorrow."

Lucrezia let out a hoarse, rattle of breath. "You brought the Cup?"

"Yes... It hasn't been invoked in centuries... But she wanted me to bring it and I did. She believes it'll be needed in the battle for the Dawn..."

Noin slowly nodded, "The prophecy calls for it..."

"I know... And for years I know you and the Spy Mistress have watched me, thinking I might be the silent clown, but I am not. It is someone else who shall invoke the cup."

"No... You never did fit the description as the silent clown... Then who? We have searched and searched for someone of your blood line, but no one, No one!, fit the description."

Catherine lowered her gaze toward her hands, "That's because you searched among women... and Midii led most of the searches..." She raised her head, "Midii knows, or she at least suspects, who the true holder of the Cup should be... After all, it is because of her that he does not remember his past, does not remember his sister or mother, or his destiny... Yet, remembers his name." She locked gazes with Trowa, "The Cup of Sorrow belongs in the hands of one man, my brother, and he sits before me."

     *

"Sir, sir." A serving maid trembled as she sent a glance toward the dark figures waiting in the doorway. "Oh, please, sir!" Her voice was a whispered squeal as she beseeched the inn-owner. "There are some men waiting for you and, oh, sir!"

The greasy innkeeper named Dumin turned suddenly, wiping one hand on his apron as he stared over the cowering wench's shoulder and blanched. "Yes, yes, yes." He moved by her and joined the men, the three walked outside... Into the backyard of the inn, away from prying eyes.

Dumin looked anywhere except at the two men. One was a tall brute of a fellow with a trimmed gray beard and cold, hard eyes that searched for any eavesdroppers. He wore a long black cloak that swirled around him with an air of danger... Yet, it was the shorter man standing beside him that caused shivers to run up Dumin's spine. The other man was lean with an arrogant twist to his mouth and a warm, handsome face. His hazel eyes had a cruel glint to them. He was a man that enjoyed people's pain, enjoyed inflicting pain on others, enjoyed another's suffering.

He thoroughly enjoyed his work.

The tall man smiled down at Dumin. "I hear, Dumin, that an interesting group of travelers are staying at your inn. Very interesting travelers." He threw his gray cloak over his left shoulder, revealing the sword hanging at his waist. "There's talk that one is even an exotic beauty..." He fingered the hilt of that sword and Dumin swallowed. "And that she's been walking around in that witch's clothes. And we both know that only one person should be able to wear those clothes." He folded his hand around the hilt. "And I know you wouldn't be keeping this from me knowing that it is very, very important that I have the one that can wear those clothes. Very important. Now, you wouldn't be keeping such a thing from me, now would you, Dumin?"

Dumin swallowed again and shook his head; "I've been keeping no such thing! No, no! A woman is here and wearing the witch's clothes, but I was going to send for you! Truthfully!" He tried to keep his legs from wobbling as the man's smile widened.

"Really? Well... Of course, you know what this means." His eyes narrowed, "I will not have some sorceress slut ruining my plans of profit. That curse, that damn prophecy, will die as she is sold to some cruel bastard to be his whore." Suddenly he smiled again, "If she's as beautiful as I've heard I may teach her how to please her master." Dumin felt a burst of pity for Lady Lina that he quickly crushed.

"They're gone now, sir." Dumin forced his voice to waver, but it came out as a hoarse whisper instead. "But will return soon, maybe they're back even now."

The man leaned back on his heels, his eyes showing veiled threats. "Describe her to me." He leaned forward and Dumin didn't even have a chance to yell as his hand closed around the innkeeper's throat tightly. "And don't leave a single thing out."

     *

"Stay close to me." Heero warned Relena as they entered the village. "This is not your country and they have an open slave market that deals with both males and females." His hard eyes scared away even the toughest looking thugs hanging around the few shops.

He had already entered the village, more a small town, earlier and had bought Relena a hooded cloak that hid her features from prying eyes. Heero, on the other hand, didn't hide his face and had even replaced the black streaks of paint on his cheeks. He was the Panther and every man in this town knew it and feared it. They would not come near him or the hooded figure he guarded.

He pitied the poor soul that made a move toward Relena right now. He felt like taking on an entire army of humans.

'She would rather be with these debased humans-.' He quickly cut that thought off before it could go any farther. He was the Panther, a creature of the night, a panther trapped in a man's body. He held no love for either human gender, least of all those that could wield magicks like she.

And the fact that she seemed to trust him, care for him, believe in him didn't change the fact that she was and always would be a human sorceress.

And he would always be a wild, savage, bitter animal trapped in a human body... Yet, not forever. She held the key to his freedom.

And he wanted that freedom.

"I'd heard rumors, tales of such things." She answered in a low whisper, her eyes darting around nervously yet she held her head high... 'The grace of a queen.' Heero thought then growled. "When is it held?"

"Tomorrow, always on the first day of a new month." He grabbed her arm and they watched as a wagon carrying a large cage passed by. "The town will be filled with those tomorrow, filled with slaves to be bought and sold and traded." He shook his head, "You humans seem to know nothing, but imprisoning your own kind."

"I didn't know." She whispered mournfully, "I didn't know it was wrong... We're not all like this, Heero." He restrained from hissing at her for saying his name, glad that she kept it too low for any to hear. "We are not all cruel... Some are just... ignorant."

Relena sighed and reached up to wipe a tear away, yet Heero saw and he stared at the crystal like drop on her fingertip...

     *