Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or any of its characters ^_^

Dawn and Moon Wars

Chapter Fourteen

'Dorothy... Don't cry. Oh, damn... Bloody hell! Why is she acting this way?' Duo sighed, his illusion of death allowing him to do so without anyone else seeing. Dorothy was now crying on his chest, still muttering about him keeping his promise. He was keeping his promise!

He knew every enemy had a weakness, even this strong, elemental witch... And if he knew women, then it was that black dressed man. Gods, it hurt. The little witch was too powerful for her own good, especially with those strange blood-covered hands... He knew that her hands and her red eyes reminded him of something, but whenever he reached for it it'd disappear.

Her lightning bolt had cauterized the wound, so he wasn't worrying about it getting infected as his skin slowly healed. Elves healed faster than humans, but even so this wound would take days to heal completely. The pain was what worried him, though. If he passed out before removing the illusion then they might bury him... An eerie thought... It was a fear among elves, to be buried alive. Elves were forest and sky creatures... Places where the sky could be seen.

He had to keep from yelling in surprise as Dorothy called the witch Dawn. 'She's the Dawn?!' Now, he remembered what the hands reminded him of. The blood rage... Then he felt himself tense at her words.

 

"My Dawn, you have exacted a most worthy punishment for the death of your mother."

He was a worthy punishment? What was going on? 'Death of the Dawn's Mother?' Duo's mind was spinning as he tried to pull up every single thing Dorothy had ever told him about her past... About what happened at the Battle of the Eclipse. She'd only told him the barest details... He knew she'd killed the old Dawn with the blood dagger, that the Dawn had been taken away by a man in black, and that Dorothy's bonded had killed her own mother before he'd come for her... She was very quiet about her past, as was he... Duo suddenly realized how little he knew about the woman crying on him.

She sounded so upset that Duo wanted to pat her on the head and tell her he was okay, but he couldn't... Not till the black-man was closer... He'd lunge when they least suspected and kill the man. The witch, or Dawn, should be stunned enough to allow him to trap her with thin threads of Spirit.

But after this, he was going to talk to Dorothy... A real, long talk... He suddenly had a lot of questions for the blonde sorceress.

Duo focused on the magick that rested deep within him and squeezed his eyes shut. It was pain and pleasure and it was life. Elemental magicks were nothing compared to pure Elf-sorcery. It was violet ice and molten lava that flowed through his body, filling him with the delectable magick of his birth.

Dorothy had once asked if he used one of the noble-swords and he'd told her the truth. He was no soldier. He was royalty and had a weapon that he'd made... It had been created from his blood, soul, and magicks. It was a part of him and incredibly powerful... It was a beacon for any mages or sorceresses... But he had no weapon and truthfully... He'd seen the black-figure fighting with Solo and he wasn't sure if a plain sword or dagger would kill him...

Someone gasped and he stared through the illusion to see Dorothy and... There was a shine around her... His magick sang inside his blood... And something was twining around it as he slowly formed a web of summoning... Something was singing to him...

It was coming from Dorothy.

He remembered this feeling from when he'd helped her after the bard had stolen her magick. Something inside of Dorothy was singing to him and it felt so...

His weapon was coming, forming in his hand... And as it solidified, Duo's illusion shattered and he lunged to his feet and toward the black figure. The silver handle was long, only a head and a half shorter than him with silver vines wrapped around its length, and it was topped by a silver scythe, an amethyst jewel embedded in both sides of the weapon.

He'd told Sally he was the God of Death... That it was a nickname...

People were given such names for a reason...

But even as he fell upon the strange, wild man something else bothered Duo... 'Dorothy... What are you?'

     *

Sally blinked and stared at the ceiling above her. It was rock... But it was such a startling white with bits of silver threading through it... It was wondrous and reminded her of the Dawn's Capital with its many wonders and beauty... All lost now.

Her eyes widened and she sat up, the heavily embroidered white and gold blanket sliding from her shoulders. "How? What? Where am I?!" Panic was creeping in. The last thing she remembered was running with the dwarves and Wufei... And now she seemed to be inside a strange white room, covered in soft, yet unfamiliar sheets.

"You finally wake." Sally jumped and watched as Wufei stepped out of the shadows of an adjoining hall, no... That wasn't a hall, it was a tunnel. His cold black eyes never wavered as they watched her and his voice was strange. As if he was relieved, but what reason did he have to be relieved?

"What happened?" She slowly slipped out of the bed and winced as her bare feet met cold, hard, rocky ground. "The last thing I remember is running and... Hilde..."

"You passed out." He told her calmly as he curved his fingers around his leather belt. Sally tilted her head; he wasn't wearing his sword. "You've been sleeping for two days. They said it was because of the taint."

"They?"

He frowned, "The dwarves."

"Oh." She shook her head; "I just fainted? But..." Sally's voice trailed off as a new creature pranced into the room and Galea gracefully landed on the bed that the healer was being forced to lean on. Her legs felt a bit weak and she was trembling. 'What is wrong with me?'

"They say it's because of a taint that's been drifting through the mountains.Their Queen wouldn't speak much with me. She seems more interested in you." Wufei looked away and focused his stern gaze on the cavern wall.

Sally nodded absently as she studied the room. It was like a giant had scooped out a hole inside of the mountain... The floor and walls were harsh granite with those strange sparkling crystals that caught the light. The very air seemed to dance with something she couldn't quite name. She felt wondrous and so... Alive. Yet, she also felt strangely sickened...

"How are you feeling?" She jerked as Wufei tensed and stepped aside, allowing the Dwarf Queen to step inside. Her hair was still done in its numerous braids and her entourage wasn't anywhere to be seen. Sally licked her lips as she stared at the small Queen.

'She's so young...' It was true. The red-haired Queen was obviously youngerthan Sally and Wufei, yet she held herself with the grace of royalty. She reminded the healer of the Reborn Dawn... Yet, this Queen had something that not if Relena had possessed last Sally had seen the Reborn Dawn. This Queen held the pain and wisdom of her rule.

"Very well, your majesty. I fear I do not remember fainting." Sally answered, wondering if she should bow or curtsy. The healer knew very little of dwarves, just what she'd heard in myths.

"I already told you, such titles should not exist between us. I am Mariemeia, Ruler of the Star-Light Dwarves. I welcome you to my realm, Healer." There was a way she said the title of healer that made shivers travel up Sally's spine.

"I, we," Sally shot Wufei a glance, "thank you for your help earlier. That mage was insane and after us. My name is Sally and he's Wufei." She took a step forward, trying to fight against the nausea that threatened to overwhelm her. "I wish there was some way we could repay you."

Mariemeia smiled slightly, "Healer Sally, I fear you misunderstand. There is a way for you to repay us." The strange Queen tilted her head at them and the jewels at the end of her numerous braids reflected the crystals' light. "Trust me, there is a way."

Sally's blood seemed to chill... And it had nothing to do with the cavern's temperature.

     *

It was a small, dank dungeon chamber that the Galaxy Council members were forced to share as they awaited the Moon's decision concerning their lives. Eight members were fairly past their prime of life and accepted death with open arms... However, one member had barely even begun to live and they surrounded her with both motherly concern and confusion.

"What do you think you are doing, child?" Venus asked the woman that stood in the middle of the small circle. A few days ago this woman would have averted locking gazes with any of these women. She'd have answered their summons without a second thought... But war could change a person. The woman standing before them was no longer a mere noblewoman. She held herself with the bearing of a queen and the bravery of any warrior.

"I am doing what must be done." She answered, her voice soft so the guards would not hear.

"Do not be foolish! They will kill you!" Saturn hissed, but the woman just turned a sad smile toward the Galaxy member.

"If they do, then so be it. I live and die for my Dawn." She raised her eyes toward the ceiling; "A destiny lies before every person born, yet so many fear to grasp it. I do not fear. I will accept my fate."

"Where is Pluto?" Mercury asked, her voice gravelly and harsh.

"I do not know. She left me a letter explaining about the battle, but I had barely finished it when the Moon's men were upon us." Sylvia faced Mercury, "You understand why I must do this. He wants the Cup and she has it. If they believe she is still out there then they will search for her and might find the Cup also. They cannot have the Cup! If they believe I am Lady Pluto, then he will merely spend his time questioning me."

"They will torture you for information you cannot possibly have and then eventually you will break and reveal to them that Pluto is not here!" Neptune reached out toward the younger woman, but Sylvia shook her head.

"You do not understand. Jaclyn once told me that my future was for me to find myself... And I know now. I am the messenger of bad tidings." Sylvia's eyes were also incredibly sad, but a mischievous glint danced in them. "I will be his messenger. I will do this for my Dawn and if I do break... Then he will realize that it is too late. Pluto will have the Cup and be far from here by then."

"What harsh times these are when children are forced to accept such responsibility."

Mercury's eyes narrowed as she eyed Sylvia then she slowly nodded. "Such harsh times will force children to become adults, Venus."

     *

Trowa slowly moved Catherine's head off his lap and stood. For a second, he just stood there and watched her sleep. It couldn't be true... His dreams... Those dreams of a life with a smiling girl called Miss Bloom and a beautiful woman that always had a treat for him... It couldn't be true.

But it was.

He was Trowa... And he could only remember a happier life through dreams.In some ways it made him want to cry. His sister... This Midii... He barely remembered a figure that had drifted through his dreams. He remembered blonde hair and gray eyes and blackness... The Dawn's Spy Mistress had stolen it all away from him, yet strangely he didn't hate her. Something told him that long ago he'd forgiven her... But how?

His movement caused the Captain to turn and stare at him. She didn't say anything, just blinked once then returned to staring at the forest surrounding them, watching for the Moon's men. Trowa bent over and lifted the chalice that the two seemed to find so important. The Cup of Sorrow.

And he was the holder.

He stepped over the blackened remains of their fire and picked up the Captain's canteen. It was half full... They'd need to start moving in the morning... Moving farther into the woods and away from the Moon and the captured Galaxy Court. Both these women wanted to find the Dawn and help her, but what about him? If the Dawn regained her throne then he'd just be a slave again...

Or was the Captain right? Could the Dawn change things? Could she end this unfair enslavement? He wanted it to be true...

But for now all he knew was that the Moon did not need to be ruling. He was deranged and revengeful.

And for now he had only one truly powerful enemy...

Trowa uncorked the canteen and lifted it above the Cup.

The Dawn...

The Moon...

His eyes landed on the sleeping woman.

His sister...

The Cup fell from his fingers and landed noiselessly on the fire's ashes.

He wasn't ready.

     *

Relena winced at Dorothy's venomous words and felt Heero tense beside her. She reached out and placed a hand on his arm. "No." He glowered down at her before sullenly nodding. Relena could feel his muscles relaxing under her hand, yet she did not dare to move as she watched Dorothy stare at the elf's still body.

The sorceress's tears had stopped, but there was such a sense of loss in Dorothy. That scared Relena. Traitor or not, Dorothy had always been so sure of herself. How could this male elf's life mean so much to her? How?

Dorothy gasped and Relena's eyes widened as the supposedly dead elf suddenly leapt to its feet and lunged at Heero. A despairingly beautiful scythe whistled through the air and Relena felt herself being thrown back by Heero as the blade came toward them.

"Mother, no!" Someone screamed shrilly and numbly Relena realized that it was her voice. She struggled to stand as Heero dodged the elf's attacks. She felt her body tremble with shock as she caught sight of their fight. The elf was liquid silver and the scythe wasn't a mere weapon in his hands, it was a part of him.

"No!" Another voice joined hers and air escaped through clenched teeth as Dorothy slammed into her. Relena gasped and tried to shove the blonde off, but Dorothy stubbornly clung to her, digging her long nails into Relena's flesh.

"Get off! Mother! Not him!" Relena kicked and screamed, but Dorothy merely narrowed her eyes and didn't budge.

"I won't allow you to hurt Duo." She hissed and hot tears slid down Relena's face.

"Please!"

Dorothy stared down at Relena, fury and despair painted across her pale face. She opened her mouth, but no sound came out as her eyes suddenly widened and fury and despair was replaced with disbelief and horror. A tremor swept through the sorceress's body and she released Relena. The Dawn watched as her Advisor raised a trembling hand to her head and whispered hoarsely. "No! Not this again!" Her other hand reached out and closed around the glass-like dagger's hilt and Relena felt a jolt of shock go through her as she finally recognized the blade.

Heero grunted as the scythe slashed into the flesh of his left arm and Relena tore her eyes away from Dorothy and onto the fight raging before her. The elf was grinning wickedly as he pulled back his scythe, blood slowly streaming down it. Heero's blood. The Panther snarled and kicked out, catching the elf in the stomach. The grinning elf merely grunted then charged at Heero, the scythe spinning over his head. It shone in the light; the cold silver, hateful amethyst, and chilling blood.

'Mother, help me... Heero.'

Relena screamed, as her feminine magicks seemed to be torn from her body in a torrent. It was a constant river of light that poured from every pore and it burned... Relena tossed her head as she raised one hand. It hurt.

Her eyes snapped open and she summoned.

"Change."

Heero obeyed.

     *

Quatre sang softly to himself as he made his way through the strangely silent forest. Everyday he was a little closer to her. It was remarkable how far one could travel when they had such an important goal to reach. He grinned widely, then winced as the movement caused the skin around his wound to pull. Quatre raised a hand to his cheek and his eyes narrowed. It was healing, but so slowly and it was going to scar without magical help... And Quatre was no healer.

He glowered at the forest around him, mentally cursing the warrior that had scarred him. She was dead now. Quatre sighed and focused his mind on more important matters.

Millardo should've taken the Galaxy Court by now. Yet, the Dawn and her warriors still lived minus one or two if he counted his self. The blood warrior had been destroyed, but what of the others?

Quatre ran a hand through his messy blond hair and sighed. He missed Trowa and his advice. The acrobat had always been able to see things in a much clearer light than he. Was Trowa even still alive? Was he safe?

He wanted this to be over. He wanted the war to end and for his life to be simple again. He didn't want to kill... But this war would only end when a victor arose... The Dawn would have to die.

 

"How could this be happening? Mother, how?! How could she?! No!"

Quatre stumbled at the sudden tempest of emotions coming from his bondling. Pain, anger, fury, despair... And relief. It flooded through him from Dorothy... The bard squeezed his eyes shut and a twisted grin played at the corner of his lips. The psychic shield was wavering like a sheet of water. Something was causing Dorothy's magicks to work against her. A large burst of magick had backfired onto her, causing her to lose her already perilous hold on the shield she had formed.

"Dorothy." He whispered to the woods and smiled as in his mind's eye, the shield shattered with the name and his way toward Dorothy became clear.

Hastily, Quatre began laying carefully formed threads of Spirit through their bond, tying the weaves around it so any shield would crumble immediately. He would not allow his bondling to lock him out again.

Even as he created the weavings, he knew something was wrong...

Something slashed out at him and Quatre cursed as his eyes snapped openand he lost concentration on the last weave. The dagger...

Anger flooded through the bard as he damned the dagger that shared a bond with his bonded. It had interrupted him from completing the last weave, but there was still enough threads of Spirit to destroy any of Dorothy's shields...

It would last long enough.

Long enough for him to destroy both gladiator and dagger.

He smiled.

      *

"Are you all right?" Hilde asked concernedly as she struggled to her feet and toward the Spy Mistress who was wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

The blood warrior frowned as Midii seemed to stare through her, her gray eyes revealing a pain and loss that Hilde would probably never understand. Silence settled around them as Hilde tried to remain standing and Midii continued her silent apologies. Finally, however, the quiet became too much for the warrior who was becoming irritable. "I don't know if you'll want to come with me or not, but I am going to see how my companions are faring."

Midii shook her head and blinked, "Yes... You'll be needing a true healer's attention soon enough..." Her voice sounded as if she were speaking from far off and her eyes never lost their melancholy shadows.

Hilde nodded and led the way to the cave entrance, her eyes darting around incase the bard-mage should still be about. If he'd followed Sally and Wufei into the cavern then perhaps she and the Spy Mistress could surprise him with an attack from behind.

They entered the cave and began walking down the tunnel, only the steadysounds of their breathing to announce them. Hilde was too deeply immersed in her worries for her companions to pay much attention to the Spy Mistress's silence. When they reached the tainted lake Hilde began to reach for her recovered short sword so she could enhance her sense of smell when Midii gently laid a hand on her shoulder and shook her head.

"They were here." She motioned toward the rocky ground before the pool and kneeled. "See, one of them drank from the water and then spat it out over there and here," she pointed to a slight dent in the ground, one Hilde would never have noticed if Midii hadn't pointed it out, "is where a sword was grounded into the floor... Your friends were here..." She frowned and glanced around. "Something happened though... You see the dust that came from their shoes leads that way." She pointed toward another tunnel, "Meaning they had to be running suddenly."

"How...?" Hilde stared at Midii with a newfound respect and the Spy Mistress smiled slightly.

"I am a spy, warrior. Let us find this healer and warrior of yours."

Hilde nodded and the two made their way down the tunnel, unaware of theeyes watching them.

      *

Heero watched as the elf came toward him, the scythe whistling through the air as it sped down at him. Out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of a strange golden light that seemed to be threaded with white before he heard the actual word.

"Change."

The light slammed into his body and the elf halted, his violet eyes widening as he watched Heero change. Heero threw back his head and yelled, yet no sound came out of his throat as his skin shifted and rippled. His bones twisted inside him as fur sprouted along his flesh. He had never felt pain like this before. His eyes widened and he raised fur-covered hands to his face as his eyes changed. Claws sprouted from his fingers and he fell forward, his black tail lashing angrily behind him.

The elf backed away as the panther stalked forward, its yellow eyes calmly watching his every movement. Heero bared his teeth and gathered his strength, his tail slashing through the air... He leapt and the elf let out a startled yell as the scythe was knocked from his hand and Heero fell upon him.

Duo twisted under the panther's weight, its hot breath playing across his throat. Heero dug his claws into the elf's shoulders and snapped at his throat even as Duo tried to raise his poisonous nails. The elf hissed and snapped back at Heero, his own sharp teeth nearly grazing the panther's flesh.

"Hmmm... Interesting." A silky voice intoned and suddenly everything slowed to a stop as four heads turned to stare at the man watching them, at his feet rested a very pale Solo, whose breath seemed to be coming in slow wheezes.

"Edward!" Dorothy shouted and chaos erupted.

      *

"What do you mean?" Sally asked, trying to ignore the fact that Wufei had settled himself into a fighting stance beside her. "We have nothing to give you and my only skill is healing. I'd gladly heal one of your people if they need it."

Queen Mariemeia didn't answer, but glanced at Galea who tilted her head and seemed to smile slightly. "She does not know!" Mariemeia gasped, then glared at the catriffin. "Are you mad, Galea? What have you been doing?"

Galea hissed and only the Queen understood her words. I do not follow your orders, runt. My orders come are from a higher power. She did not need to know.

"Friend or not, Galea, you do push one to extremes." Mariemeia looked back toward Sally and beckoned with one hand. "While she has failed to tell you, I shall not. Come with me and I will show you your destiny."

You're scaring her. Galea calmly licked one purplish paw and her blue eyes seemed to be laughing at some private joke.

"I wouldn't be scaring her if someone had done their job." The dwarf Queen spat and Galea's wings unfurled as she hissed.

Now, you are pushing your limit.

"Please, are you actually talking to her?" The healer was watching the two warily, unsure if she should trust her eyes and ears. However, a quick glance at Wufei proved to her that if she was going insane that she wasn't alone.

"Of course. Only a few can actually understand her. All animals can since she is one. I can because I was gifted with the ability at birth. Half-breeds are especially able to communicate with her since she is one herself."

Pure-bloods. Phft. They're all the same. We are unique.

"You... You jest... Right?" Sally's wide eyes stared at the creature that for years had been her constant companion and loving pet.

"No. Now, come." The Queen took Sally's hand, ignoring the warning growl that issued from Wufei's throat, and pulled her out of the cavern. Wufei and the catriffin followed as Mariemeia led the healer down long and twisting tunnels and past numerous dwarves that dropped to their knees at the first sight of their young ruler. Mariemeia released Sally's hand only when they reached a small room guarded by two guards who stepped aside to allow them to pass into the room behind them.

It was an oval room and seemed to be made entirely out of the strange white rock that had decorated the ceiling of the previous cavern. It stood empty except for a pedestal that stood in the middle, a glass covering protecting an object that rested upon it. The feeling of aliveness seemed to pulse through Sally as she stepped toward the pedestal, finally reaching it so she could stare down at the object it held.

A white glove...

"I don't understand..." Sally spoke, eyebrows raising in surprise as she stared at the plain wrist-length glove.

Mariemeia stepped forward and removed the glass covering and carefully lifted the glove as if it were a wondrous jewel and held it out toward the healer. "This is your destiny."

Sally slowly took the glove and, after an encouraging nod from Mariemeia, pulled it onto her right hand. Wufei stood behind her, his eyes watching the guards outside and the Queen suspiciously, his hands tightly gripping his belt as he wished for his sword, which had been taken from him as soon as they had reached the dwarves' caverns... For the safety of their Queen. Galea stood near his ankles, watching the scene unfolding before her intently.

Sally gasped, as a jolt seemed to travel through her arm and up and down her body as the glove rested fully on her hand. "What?!" The glove began to slowly build up a stunning white glow that blinded Wufei and caused him to roar in outrage, fearing trickery. He didn't see the soft orange glow that flared around Sally, then disappeared as the white glove's light faded.

Together, healer and warrior stared at what had once been a glove. It now seemed as if the healer's right hand had been tattooed white... There was no glove. There was just her skin and Sally began to claw at the whiteness, her eyes widening in horror. "What have you done?! Why won't it come off?"

"You are the disciple that clutches myth and reality in her soothing touch. That is your destiny and this," the Queen pointed toward the healer's hand, "will help you. For centuries it has been passed down through my family awaiting your arrival. It is a relic of great power that shall help you succeed."

"What have you done, dwarf?" Wufei asked, his voice low and hoarse as he stepped beside the shocked healer.

Mariemeia eyed him; "I have done my duty for my people."

"How will this help me?" Panic edged Sally's voice, but she was no longer clawing at her own flesh to remove the white glove that seemed to have melted into her skin.

"It has healing properties, with it you could heal one on the edge of death. However, it has one setback, as the Father rules the Moon and the Dawn is ruled by the Mother so is thy power. It will work only on males when night has fallen and on females when it is day."

Sally didn't question the beliefs of a Father. She'd heard many of the men she'd healed at the Moon's camp praying to such a god. Instead she stared at her hand with awe. "To heal like that..."

Wufei watched the healer's face and suddenly found himself stalking from the room, his mouth and throat strangely dry and parch. The healer was his responsibility, a strange set of events had led him to her or her to him...

Outside he leaned against a granite wall and stared upward. What were thegods playing at?

      *

Eek! Well, this isn't as long as some of my chapters and I'm sorry I haven't been working on it. I sorta hit a writer's block. It was driving me nuts! But I've finally gotten over it and I'm writing on D&M continuously. Well, I'm writing on it and 'Clowns and Spies'. However, don't worry! I'm putting this before the sequel to Rapiers and Scimitars. Well, gtg! Ciao! Reviews pweaze? Cuz reviews make a happy Figgy and a happy Figgy likes to write ^_~

Figgy

*^_^*