Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or any of its characters ^_^

Dawn and Moon Wars

Chapter Fifteen

Millardo stared at the woman standing before him and slowly smiled. He watched as she tensed and licked her dry lips, her eyes darting around the chamber, widening at the tapestries and throne. Anger blazed in their depths as she lowered her gaze on him once more. Her hands were tied behind her back while two male guards stood at either side of the prisoner, ready incase she tried anything. The guards wouldn't be needed soon. Brunx had returned with very promising news and a sample.

"Good day, Lady Pluto. Wine?" He motioned toward a cowering female who ran forward, splashing half the pitcher's contents on the floor.

"Dear, Mother..." The prisoner whispered as she stared at the female who trembled as she held out a golden chalice toward Millardo.

"Oh, yes, interesting isn't it? She was a noblewoman of the Court. Surprising, how fast those that so quickly enslaved us can be taught the finer pointsof serving. Isn't that right, dear?" He directed the last toward the former noble and Sylvia gasped as the woman dropped to the floor and began kissing the ground before the Moon's feet.

"I live to serve, oh radiant one!"

Millardo lightly patted the woman on the head as if she was a well-behavedhound and Sylvia fought the urge to heave. "What do you want?" She snapped, wishing she could erase the scene before her but she knew... Mother, she knew it would haunt her.

The Moon motioned the female slave away and slowly lowered himself into his throne. "What do I want? Why, I just want what is best for my lands."

She scoffed, "You want the Cup."

Millardo leaned forward, a twisted smile on his handsome face, "Yes. I want the Cup. Will you give it to me?" Sylvia's eyes widened and she involuntarily took a step back as the Moon suddenly leapt to his feet and stepped closer toward her. "It would be quite helpful and rewarding for you to place it in my care, Lady Pluto."

"You are an usurper. The Cup belongs only in the hands of its holder or the Dawn. I will never give it to you." Sylvia smiled coldly, "Never."

Millardo raised one elegant eyebrow, then slowly bared his teeth in a sadistic smile. "So be it." He motioned toward one of the guards... And that was when the screams started.

*

Relena's body trembled as she continued to pour her magick into the spell that allowed Heero to retain his panther form. She felt as if her body was on fire and she wanted to scream, yet instead she clamped her teeth together and tried to endure the pain that was buying Heero's dream. It took all of her will power to not release her hold on her magick at the sound of a new voice.

She turned to stare at the figure and felt her mouth drop open. A man wearing a billowing cape and a conical hat stared at them with a smirk on his somewhat handsome face.

"Edward!" Dorothy yelled and then Relena fell into darkness as a wall of Spirit slammed into her already spinning mind. Relena's eyes rolled upward as she landed in a crumpled heap on the soft earth. Her magick cut off as if severed and Duo yelped as the panther clawing at him suddenly changed into a man.

Heero jumped off of the elf and stared at Relena's still form and Duo watched as a slight tremor swept through the black-clad man before he turned to face the mage. 'Interesting turn of events.' Duo sighed and jumped to his feet, his cat-like violet eyes on this Edward fellow. Behind him Dorothy crawled toward Relena and checked the Dawn's pulse. Dorothy stared down at the woman that for years had been her closest friend and felt a stab go through her heart. 'I can't hate you... But I fear I don't know you anymore.'

The sorceress slowly raised to her feet and took a step toward Duo when Edward's eyes fell upon her. "Well, well. You do have interesting saviors, milady. Three elves, the Panther, and a witch. Strange companions for a half-breed wench. Have they bought you to share? Perhaps you and the witch?"

Duo snarled, "Keep your tongue still, mage, or I will remove it from your mouth."

Edward tilted his head at the elf and smiled. "Really? Anger solves nothing.Tsk-tsk. You wouldn't want to learn the same lesson he did, now would you?" The mage prodded Solo's body with a polished boot and his smile widened. "However, if you wish, I don't mind repeating the exercise."

Heero picked up his fallen sword in a smooth, fluid motion and advanced toward the mage. His cold blue eyes boring into the mage's. "I will kill you."

"Not very articulate, are you? Well, animals very rarely spend their time polishing their conversational skills. They usually prefer to eat, mate, and become very nice rugs."

Heero snarled and would have lunged forward had not a hand restrained him. The Panther turned to stare into Duo's violet eyes. "Not all mages fight fair. It would not be wise to rush forward recklessly."

Edward yawned, "Don't mean to be rude, but I've no time for sentimental moments between owner and pet." The mage pointed toward the figure standing behind Duo and Heero and beckoned. "Come."

The collar around Dorothy's neck flared to life and the sorceress began to claw at the metal as she took an unsteady step forward. "He's using my magicks!" She yelled and Duo's eyes widened.

"Now would be the time for recklessness!" He told Heero and together Panther and elf lunged forward. Heero snarled as he swung his sword toward the mage while Duo summoned his scythe and it leapt into his hand. Edward watched their weapons with boredom, then motioned slightly with his hand.

The earth heaved under their feet as Dorothy screamed a warning... Then suddenly it ended and Edward's eyes widened. "A bondling?!"

Laughter bubbled from the sorceress's throat as she mentally thanked Quatre for intervening... The bard-mage had felt her magick being compelled and had used his own will to pull it back into her control... She supposed it would be the first and last time she was ever thankful to be bonded to the Possessed bard.

The sword caught him in the arm while Duo's scythe slashed across a sudden shield of Wind and Spirit. Edward backed away from the two, his hands raising to form hasty elemental spells of warding.

"Uh, uh." Duo clucked his tongue as his scythe cut through another shield. "Don't you suppose it's time we taught this meddler a lesson, oh furred one?" Duo asked; Heero answered by shoving his sword upward till the point touched Edward's skin and Duo happily wrapped bounds of Spirit and Wind around the mage's wrists and feet.

Edward fell to the ground and stared up at the three surrounding him. A pale sorceress whose eyes danced with cruel glee, an elf whose maniacal grin and violet eyes revealed a sadistic humor, and a cold eyed assassin whose every movement promised death...

And suddenly the mage found himself praying to gods he'd long since forsaken.

*

Hilde marveled at the tiny crystals that gave off light. They were truly remarkable and it was obvious to both warrior and spy that they had been strategically placed along the tunnel walls by an intelligent species. Could humans live so far underground? The blood warrior seriously doubted it. Being a rare and somewhat magical creature herself, she knew that others also holding magnificent and unusual powers lived. If she was correct in her assumptions, then they'd wandered into the caverns of the dwarves.

Dwarves. Now there was a creature of legend. Dwarves, sadists, elves, free men. They were the wondrous creatures that mothers would use to frighten children and bards used to entice noble and common alike. Yet, dwarves did exist. Hilde could feel their strong earth element pulsing around her. Blood warriors and dwarves were elemental siblings. However, an icy chill traveled through the blood warrior as she studied a crystal.

It was dwarves that created the magical weaponry so sought after by otherspecies... Weapons as fierce as any wielder... Weapons created in the substance of pure untainted elemental earth in its most unique form.

A blood warrior's own blood.

Hilde backed away from the crystal and her hand tightened around the hilt of her short-sword. Her kind were rare because greed and jealously had driven people to hunt them down for the very thing that should've made them invincible.

But blood warriors weren't invincible. Poison, fire, strong magicks, beheading... She could be affected by it all.

However, it wasn't the dwarves that had destroyed so many of her kind. The dwarves had asked for blood or had been given the bodies of disgraced prisoners... Dwarves held no true greed. They lived in a world of endless treasure and their magnificent weapons were merely an entertaining hobby. She had very little to fear; the greed of other species, Sadists, and the loss of her own honor. The dwarves accidentally began the greed and killings, but Hilde didn't fear them or hate them...

But the memories of watching her own kind hunted down and killed... The loss of her family at the hands of jealous neighbors... All started because of the dwarves' talents.

"We're being followed." Midii's voice brought Hilde back to the present and the warrior turned to look at her. The Spy Mistress wore a warm smile on her pale and dusty face. "Don't turn around. There's more than one. How many can you handle if they turn nasty?"

Hilde grinned, her white teeth flashing in the crystal's light. Her eyes darkened though as she hefted her short-sword, "As many as need be. Though I don't like fighting on terrain they obviously know so well."

"We can't always choose our battles. When we turn this corner, we'll face them."

"Perhaps they don't mean ill."

"One must be prepared for any outcome." The Spy Mistress answered, a dagger sliding easily into her open hand. Hilde nodded slightly; she'd expected no less from the Mistress of Spies.

She shook her head once, sending her dark, short hair flying out of her eyes. "Back to back then?" Hilde asked as the corner came closer and closer with each step forward.

Midii frowned , "When the numbers dwindle, yes, but till then just focus on those coming at you." A gleam entered those gray eyes and Midii's mouth quirked upward. "Now prove your worth with that blade."

The two walked around the corner and together faced whatever danger followed them.

*

Lucrezia Noin eyed the surrounding woods with disdain as the trio pushed their way farther into the dense forest. Out of the corner of her eye she glanced at the Lady Pluto and a frown tugged at her lips. 'How could she not tell anyone?! How much of a coward can she be? She's not worthy of her title.'

They walked in silence; the sounds of wildlife echoing around them. Lucrezia found herself thinking of her home... of the life she'd lived for so long. For so many years she had lived for the Dawn and the Dawn's Star. She had wanted nothing more than to protect them and do her job well. The Dawn had been a friend and the Star had made her smile...

The revelations of the prophecy had caused a young Captain to age overnight and suddenly realize the burden she carried. She'd accepted it, though, and had done everything in her power to keep the Dawn's Star safe. Lucrezia had known that she didn't fit any of the warriors the Reborn Dawn would need so desperately, but she'd still tried. Tried and failed...

The Reborn Dawn was lost, perhaps dead, and their only hope lay in the woman that for years had been her rival. However, the telling of her past concerning this man and Pluto had altered much of the Captain's opinion of the Spy Mistress. Midii had done what was lawful, but had allowed guilt to rule her judgement over the years as they searched for the true holder of the Cup. It was a somewhat harsh reality the girl had accepted so young. To become one of the nameless. Midii was fortunate in acquiring her present position so quickly. She now had an identity once again...

How did the Spy Mistress feel about stealing this male's identity?

The male named Trowa was carrying the lady's bag and the Cup. She had watched him that night... When he'd lifted the chalice and her flask. He'd seemed so close to summoning the Cup, but then he'd dropped it. At some point he would have to... He had to.

This war. This damn war... So many of her soldiers were dead because a free man had decided to take a throne that rightfully belonged to Relena. This Moon was the cause of this hell. Lucrezia licked her dry lips as she shoved aside a low branch. With the Moon's death, his men would quickly lose faith.

But then what?

She glanced at Trowa and her frown deepened. What of the slaves? What of the men the Mother had ordered them to enslave for the better good?

For now she couldn't worry about that. Relena was the Dawn, the true ruler, and it was up to her to decide who should be free or not. Lucrezia's eyes narrowed; it was Relena's job to rule and it was her job to protect the Dawn so she could do her job.

Meaning the Moon would have to die.

Lucrezia shifted her shoulders, her hand resting upon her long dagger. Assassinations were not unusual for a soldier or even Captain... She glanced at her companions and determination painted her face. They could survive without her... She would kill the Moon... Or die trying...

And she'd wait no longer.

Either he or she would die this night.

*

Duo watched warily as the mage removed the silver, jewel-embedded collar and revealed the pale white neck lying underneath. As soon as the hateful band was off, a shine seemed to waver around the sorceress... And Edward was thrown back by Dorothy's elemental magicks. Anger blazed in her blue-gray eyes as she stalked toward the now wide-eyed mage.

"Five minutes, mage. You wouldn't last five minutes." Dorothy crouched, knocked the conical hat off Edward's head, and clutched a handful of his hair. She pulled his head back, baring his neck, and smiled coldly. "Want me to prove it?" A fine blending of Fire and Spirit carefully woven into his skin caused the mage to buck and scream in her grasp. The weaving connected with his nerve endings as she carefully wove it through his mind and tears streamed down the mage's face as he begged for her to stop.

It started softly, then built up and Duo's eyes widened in horror as Dorothybegan to laugh at the man's expense.

"Dorothy, stop it! DOROTHY!" The King of Elves ran forward, only to have his way blocked by a sword. He looked to his left and into the cold eyes of the panther. "Move out of my way." Duo hissed, but the man-panther merely glanced toward the still form of the Dawn.

"Please! Please! Stop! GODS! STOP!" Edward sobbed uncontrollably, his speech slurring as he screamed. His shouts began to become scratchy as he wore his throat out. Dorothy had stopped laughing and now watched Duo even as she continued her torture upon the mage.

The two locked eyes and Duo felt as if in that second Dorothy was showing him more of herself then she'd ever be able to reveal... But there was also fear in her eyes... And the screams stopped as Dorothy cut off her weavings.

She was the first to look away and he heard her soft whisper, "You are using me just as they did. So, leave me be and let your accusations lie on another." The sorceress stood and walked toward Relena's still form and ignored the Panther's suspicious stare. "Awaken." Dorothy tapped Relena lightly with Spirit and squeezed her eyes shut as pain flooded through her. Spirit was not one of her birth elements and like any sorceress or mage using other elements caused her to actually use a bit of her own energy to power weavings asking for them.

Relena's eyes fluttered open and she stared at her Advisor. "Dorothy?"

"Is it possible to hate and love one person?" Dorothy asked, her voice tired and weary as she helped her Dawn sit up.

A sigh escaped past Relena's lips, "Yes..." Her eyes immediately went to Heero and the Dawn struggled to her feet. The Panther grunted as she flung herself at him. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

The Panther ignored the startled looks being traded between elf and sorceress as he lightly smoothed a hand down Relena's back. "You have given me hope where once none rested." He whispered in her ear and she smiled up at him, tears sparkling in her bright eyes.

Dorothy shook her head and made her way toward the fallen Solo with trembling legs. Duo met her there and placed a hand on her arm. "I'll take care of him and Une."

She stared at his hand with its poisoned claws, then slowly met his cat-likeeyes. "What are we to do now? She nearly killed you..."

"Why do you care? She is your Queen. I'm only a male elf to you." The blonde sorceress flushed and Duo raised an eyebrow and a slow smile adorned his handsome face. "Unless... perhaps, I'm more?"

Her lips flattened into a thin line, "Do not presume too much. There are reasons I'd rather you live." She began to move away when he grabbed her arm.

"What reasons?"

Dorothy frowned, "I already told you the Dawn's prophecy and the part youplay in all of this. It will be the Dawn's warriors that decide the outcome of this war. That is why I'd prefer you live. I do not wish to see the Moon's rule to continue."

Duo removed his hand from her arm as his blood seemed to chill and bitterwords full of elfish venom fell past his lips. "For once an honest answer from thy lady wench. That scene with the mage was the true you. I heard rumors of your unnatural cruelty while a slave... You are a most magnificent actress, milady."

"Thank you, male, and you have my gracious welcome for finally uniting you with my Dawn as you desired. I'd attend your man and woman. Neither is looking well." A grim smile graced her lips; "I have business to attend to. My love for cruelty has not been abated." Dorothy turned away from the elf and started toward the still sobbing mage. At her approach Edward's eyes widened and he flattened his self against the trunk of a large oak.

"Please! Keep her away! I won't stop you! You can go through with the prophecy! I have nothing against half-breeds!" Edward held his hands up in surrender, begging any to stop the enraged sorceress... For something about his words had caused Dorothy's face to contort in pure rage and wind whipped around the powerful woman.

"SHUT UP!" She yelled, her hair twisting like a thousand snakes, and Dorothy raised both hands with her fingers curled as if she'd claw at the mage.

"Stop this insanity, Dorothy." Relena's calm voice spoke behind her and Dorothy's lips curled upward in a snarl.

"Who are you to command me? Minutes ago we were fighting each other. Have we suddenly become allies?" Skepticism layered her words and behind her Relena winced and Heero planted his feet as if ready for another fight.

"My enemy's enemy is my friend." The Elysian king carefully lowered Une's body next to Solo's after healing her wounds. He hated healing. It was not a skill of his and he suspected that Une would have quite a headache when she awoke. It was better for both to sleep for now, to allow their bodies the rest they would need after his crude healing. The air trembled around him as he set his illusion of humanity and stood, once more a slightly tan and violet-eyed male human. His scythe rested by his feet and he made no move for it as he stared at the Dawn, her protector, and Dorothy. "It's a saying where I come from."

A tightening at the corner of Dorothy's mouth caused Edward to shudder. "He is not your enemy. I am the only one that has a dispute with the mage. Only I was collared by him. Only I was taunted by him as I was enslaved. Only I watched as he-." She cut off and shook her head, "He is my concern and I will handle his punishment, whether it be pain or death. You have named me a traitor, my Dawn. I am the murderer of your mother with the dagger that rests upon the ground near your feet. I am bonded to he who should have been your bonded, but believe me," briefly the sorceress squeezed her eyes shut, "I have done you more favor than you can believe by taking him first. The dagger lusts for blood, but even so it was my own brief weakness that caused me to lose control and plunge it into the flesh of the former Dawn, your mother. Name me traitor if you wish for her death for I have done no other wrong toward you and your rule."

"My mother's death..." Relena licked her lips and swallowed, "I believe that it was fate that brought upon her end. In the moments of madness and rage I named you traitor for aiming your own magick at me. Was I wrong to name you such? I brought you from the slavery of Ransik unsure of what I'd do when you awakened. I sought to save you from he who I now believe only wished to protect you." The Reborn Dawn moved away from Heero and reached out for Dorothy's hand. "I beg you, release me of this confusion that has haunted me since that day! Are you friend or foe?!"

"I do not know... The one I'd wish to follow... I don't know! Everything's changed. I've changed. Can I follow the woman you've become knowing what I know now? I cannot agree with slavery anymore. I cannot!" Dorothy jerked her hand out of Relena's grasp and tried to hide the tears in her eyes. She blinked them away and bit her lip, tasting coppery blood. Crying had not solved any of her problems.

"Dorothy, you can't possibly know all that has been revealed to I." Relena sadly stared at the ground, "All these years we have been following the beliefs of an angry goddess..."

"You know...?" The sorceress turned to face her Dawn and Relena's eyes widened, then she glanced sharply at the elf that stood nearby.

"Yes."

"What will you do then, Relena? What will you do?" The words came out harsher than Dorothy had meant, but she still wished for answers.

"I will reclaim my throne and right the wrongs we have committed. Perhaps I will be overthrown, but I shall try." The Dawn's words seemed to echo around the group and slowly Dorothy nodded and she lowered in a curtsy... However, Relena knew... The curtsy was only the barest bending of the sorceress's knees compared to what her Advisor had once graced her with. "I understand." She whispered, "You will be my weapon, my warrior, but in the end..."

"I will be your friend if you will have me... But I fear my future lies in a different direction than continuing the tradition of Dawn and Advisor."

"Then I will accept what I can." Relena offered her hand and Dorothy took it, both women wearing grim smiles... But hope had grown in that single moment...

*

Sylvia curled around the glow, trying to hide it from any curious eyes. Her body hurt... Mother, it hurt. She winced as the movement pulled at her torn skin. She knew she was actually fortunate that he had only flogged her... If she continued this, Sylvia knew that eventually the tortures would become worse... Much, much worse.

The glow grew brighter and Sylvia smiled slightly as she stared down at her pride and joy. An orb glittered back at her, seeming to laugh as her smile widened. She would help her Dawn anyway she could. Sylvia released the mage globe and watched as it darted out of the cell, past the guard who was looking the other way...

The globe had to reach the Reborn Dawn... It held details of the Moon's plans and what he was doing in the Galaxy Court. The Dawn would need such information if she was to ever regain her throne and Sylvia suddenly frowned.

You are the messenger of bad tidings.

The web-seer's apprentice was now dead... Her prophecies locked away inside of her close friend, Lady Pluto. Sylvia hoped Pluto was safe... But most of all she hoped the Cup of Sorrow was safe. She shuddered, remembering the web-seer and the way nothing had seemed to touch her... The girl had shrouded herself in mystery, locking herself away inside her world of the future.

Perhaps she was the messenger of bad tidings... But these tidings had to be delivered. The Dawn had to know what she was facing.

Sylvia sent a quick prayer to the Mother, hoping her globe would reach the Reborn Dawn soon.

*

Sally winced as the short maids bound her hair in numerous braids, the Queen watching dispassionately from the other side of the cavern. "I meant to ask, why do the women all wear their hair in braids?" The healer gritted her teeth together as her hair was pulled tightly in several different directions. Her clothes had been replaced with a tight sapphire blouse that seemed to be in fashion with several of the younger nobles and loose gray silk pants that were tucked into heeled black boots with ribbons laced through them. The healer felt strange in such garments, but at least they were somewhat comfortable. Unlike the hairstyle...

"The braids symbolize the complexity of life and the weavings of fate. The number represents rank, which is why many of the servants and lower guards bare only one while nobles flaunt many." Mariemeia answered calmly, her cool eyes on the healer's stunning white hand. Sally felt the Queen's eyes and rubbed the hand, her eyes clouding with wonder and worry at being gifted with such powers.

"But I am of no rank!" She argued, wincing once again.

"You are of a rank that is higher than even I." The Queen smiled as the maids moved aside and one of them raised a mirror for Sally to stare at her reflection. Suddenly the pain seemed worth it now that she could see the finished work. She had never paid much attention to her appearance before, but this... She shook her head slightly, sending the numerous braids swinging, and smiled.

"It's... beautiful. Thank you so much." She told the dwarf servants and theybeamed before leaving the cavern.

"Come. We celebrate your arrival." The two walked outside and were met immediately joined by Wufei who had chosen to keep his own clothes. For a brief second, Sally was sure that she'd seen surprise and then wonderment in his onyx eyes, but then his stern expression had returned and he merely joined them in their walk to the large cavern that existed as a ballroom for the dwarves.

They had only entered the cavern when the guards rushed inside. Mariemeia stepped forward as a ring of scarred and hard soldiers shoved forward two bound humans. "What is the meaning of this?"

"They were searching the tunnels, my Queen, and attacked."

"You attacked first!" One of the prisoners yelled and Sally's eyes widened.

"Hilde!" The healer rushed forward and the guards parted before her so she could reach the blood warrior. "We thought-Hilde!" Sally smiled warmly at the warrior; "You're alive."

"These are your friends, I presume." The other voiced and Sally stared as the Spy Mistress raised her head and gray eyes lurking with shadows met hers. "We meet again, healer."

"You know them?" The Queen asked and Wufei mutely nodded. "Release them! They are friends of our guests!" She eyed the two as the guards sullenly cut the bonds. "One is a blood warrior. How dare you attack an earth sister!"

The soldiers exchanged fearful glances as they fell to their knees before their enraged Queen. Hilde stepped forward. "My friend saw their weapons and attacked first before they could drop their weapons. Please, it was our fault."

Mariemeia didn't look any less angry, but she nodded and turned away from the kneeling soldiers. "I welcome you as friends of the Healer."

Sally tried to ignore the surprised glances exchanged between Spy Mistressand blood warrior at the revered tone the dwarf Queen spoke her title. Instead, she stared at the burns covering Hilde's arms and lightly placed her white hand on the blood warrior's right arm. "What time of day is it?"

"It was light when we entered the tunnels." Hilde answered confusion clearin her eyes as she stared at the healer's strange white hand.

Sally nodded and closed her eyes as she felt for the magick that now rested in her hand. It coursed through her like liquid fire and she released it in a smooth flow of weaves. It wrapped around the warrior's arm, fading into her skin as the healer practiced what she'd been taught for years... Except without the benefit of herbs and poultices. A white glow surrounded both healer and warrior then suddenly they both flared into colored light.

Wufei shielded his eyes as an aura of red surrounded the startled blood warrior and Sally merely smiled as a soft orange light, one he recognized, danced around her.

Mrow.

The light disappeared and several eyes drifted toward the catriffin, whom was staring at the newcomers with wide eyes. Only the dwarf Queen knew that the catriffin's continuous meows were actually laughter.

Four! Four Dawn warriors. Galea smiled as only a cat or catriffin could smile. Things are definitely looking up.

The Queen frowned as Galea purred smugly.

*

"As lovely as this all is." Duo spoke wearily and the two women turned to stare at him. "What are we to do about him now?" The elf pointed at Edward and Dorothy's eyes narrowed once more.

"Kill him."

"Dorothy!" Relena cried, but Heero nodded and took a step forward, his sword in one hand. Duo stepped forward and blocked the Panther's way.

"I want to know the reasons why before I allow this man's blood spilled. Who is he and what has he done?" Duo met Dorothy's eyes and his earlier anger disappeared at the despair painted in those blue-gray depths. The mage knew something the sorceress did not want revealed.

"I'll tell! Just keep her away!" The mage scrambled toward Duo and the elf stared down at the man in disgust as the man cowered at his feet. "I work for Trant," at that name fury rose in Duo's violet eyes and his illusion wavered. Only Heero glimpsed the faint madness that rested in the elf at the sound of the slave driver's name. "He wanted me to create something that blocked a sorceress's powers because of the prophecy. So, I did and then she was found. I heard the other slave talking to her. She's half elf, half human and fits the prophecy! She's supposed to free the slaves." He shuddered as Dorothy took a step forward, her eyes seeming to plead with the mage. "Keep her away!"

" I AM HUMAN!" The sorceress yelled, her eyes darting around to stare at the three. Heero merely nodded, as if the mage's words didn't surprise him. Relena gasped and raised one bloodstained hand to her mouth while Duo just stared at the blonde. "I'm human." But it didn't sound true to even her ears because she knew the truth... But did they have to know? Did they have to know her shame? She was a half-breed and a bondling. Would her shame never end?!

The scythe leapt into Duo's hand and his eyes narrowed as he advanced toward the blonde sorceress. "Sing." His voice held no room for argument, but Dorothy could merely stare at him in shock as he raised the scythe at her.

Then her own eyes narrowed, "No."

"Sing." He commanded once more and Dorothy's lips thinned.

"I refuse."

"I am not playing games, Dorothy. Sing." Duo's illusion faltered once again, but Dorothy shook her head, sending her hair flying.

"I won't." She stiffened as cold silver pressed against her pale neck. Dorothy looked into Duo's violet eyes and saw grief for what he was doing, but also steely determination.

"Sing or I will kill you."

Calmly, Dorothy responded.

"No."

Duo's eyes hardened and the sickening sound of sharp metal slicing across a fragile surface seemed to vibrate through the clearing.

*

"Four in my kingdom?" Mariemeia questioned, her eyes narrowing with calculation and the Spy Mistress raised a questioning eyebrow, her foot tensing in its plain boot. "You did not tell me that so many rested nearby, Galea. What games are you playing to hide such information?"

Games? I play no games. You are the one hiding behind a pretty celebration. I've warned you not to play your Great Game of intrigue with these humans, but you continue. The catriffin calmly licked a velvety paw, ignoring the flash of anger that crossed the Queen's face.

"What are you hiding, majesty?" Midii's voice softly bounced off the walls as she took a step toward the young monarch. Her dove-gray eyes were cold as if she had seen the worst the world could offer and feared death no more. A pain rested inside the woman and she welcomed the freedom death would bring. "I have dealt with women of your mind and desire to know why we four are so important. Why is the healer important to you and your people?"

Mariemeia eyed the blonde spy and frowned, "Who are you to question me so?"

"I am Midii, the Dawn's Spy Mistress."

The woman haunted with shadow memories.

The dwarves watched as their Queen met Midii's darkened eyes and slowly nodded. "I wish you greetings, Dawn warriors, and ask a boon for the gifts we have bestowed upon you." Galea chuckled coldly, but said nothing as Mariemeia continued. "You wish to know why your coming is important... Our lands are being tainted by twisted magicks and it is slowly killing my people. We cannot fight those that wield such malicious powers and were forced to wait for she who could heal our lands. Healer Sally can heal our land and defeat those that slowly poison us. My people cannot last much longer under such circumstances and I beg of you," those words seemed to be pulled from the Queen's proud mouth, "help us."

Wufei reached out to restrain the healer, but she shook his hand off and ignored his stern eyes that ordered her to keep quiet. The healer smiled warmly and took the dwarf's hands. "I have dedicated my life to helping others that are in pain. I would not be able to call myself a healer if I did not help you." Her warm eyes hardened, "But I do not enjoy being led about like a lost lamb. If you needed my help, all you had to do was ask instead of pretending that you merely wanted to gift me with the glove."

"Who taints your lands?" Hilde asked angrily, old traditions causing fury to rage within her. Who dared to harm her earth siblings? In wars long forgotten, blood warriors and dwarves had fought side by side. Ancient ties bonded the two races and the warrior took her short-sword from the dwarf that had taken it from her earlier.

Galea smirked. Yes, who taints your lands, runt?

The Queen struggled to calm her features and answered softly, not trustingher own voice to not betray her fear and anger. "Sadists. Their ruler seeks our caverns and wealth. Her people came as we were weakened by a human's thefts. A mage stole enchanted jewels. He killed five of my guards and the loss of men and gems allowed the Sadists to enter my realms in our time of mourning."

Sadists. Terror stole its way into the hearts of those listening and Sally looked away from the Queen and dropped Mariemeia's hands as tales of those legendary monsters played in her mind. Yet, strangely fear began to abate and a small smile surprised both Queen and Dawn warriors.

However, Galea returned the healer's smile. 'You are a true healer, Sally. No matter what happens, you will always be that.' She eyed the other three. 'Too much information has allowed them to overlook details, but we have no time for thorough explanations. Seek the Sadists out and set into place what centuries of fate and prophecies have spoken of.'

*

"Damn you, Dorothy!" Duo yelled as his scythe cut into the sapling's weak skin. The young plant shuddered as he removed the blade from its flesh and threw the weapon aside. "I want the truth! Just sing! I need to know!"

"I will not!" The sorceress shouted back, her hands tightening into fists. "You want the truth!? I'm a bloody half-breed! My father was an elf! I'm a monstrosity! A bonded and a half-breed! That's the truth! Are you happy? Are you, Duo!?"

"Prove it."

The two stared at each other, ignoring the still cowering mage, Reborn Dawn, and Panther. They only saw each other and slowly Dorothy's lips parted. "Cry, little one, cry..." Melody flowed from her lips like golden honey and Relena gasped. The simple words drifted through the air, her voice carrying the fluidity of water.

"It's true... Isn't it? That was you I heard..." The elf raised a hand to his face and rubbed it wearily. His head pounded as he stared at the red-faced sorceress. "I had to know, Dorothy... I had to do it."

The sorceress didn't seem to be paying attention to Duo, though. Instead she tilted her head and a slight smile drifted across her lips before her eyes seemed to snap into focus and a mask fell upon her features. "Speak to the Dawn, King Maxwell. That is what you've been desiring these weeks." She pushed past him, only to be stopped by Relena's hand on her arm.

"Dorothy, why? Why keep such a gift a secret?"

A cold smirk appeared upon the Advisor's lips, "And what, Relena? I'd havemerely become the Dawn's Songbird as well as Advisor and Sorceress. Perhaps I wanted something that was mine alone... But I have lost even it now."

The Dawn released the woman and watched as Dorothy wandered to the far edge of the clearing, her sharp eyes focused on the whimpering mage.

 

*

"Cry, little one, cry..."

Quatre tilted his head and smiled widely. "Why are you singing, Dorothy?" He spoke aloud, his voice seeming unnaturally loud in the quiet woods.

"Why do you care?"

The bard fell forward and stared at the ground as he slowly pushed himself to his knees. She'd answered. Her sweet voice had sounded in his mind as clearly as if she stood before him and the scent of lilacs flooded his senses as he stood. "I care about you."

"Why? You stole from me. I nearly died because of your own greed for more magicks."

The blood drained from his face and he leaned against a tree for support. "You nearly died? Oh, Dorothy! I never- Dorothy! Please, I'd never hurt you intentionally. I swear it."

"Words... That's all I hear now... Meaningless words. I want actions not words! And this is what I receive. I was a fool to believe... No... Help me. I'm tired of being used." She began so heated and angry, but her tone drifted into pleading and was so soft...

"You deserve more."

She chuckled, "Do you think I deserve you? You're desperate, aren't you? Duo says you're a Possessed Bondling. My psychic scent seduced you into madness. Poetic..." Bitter laughter came through the bond and Quatre winced. "How do you feel about this, Quatre? Do you enjoy your lunacy?"

 

"I don't consider it lunacy. I consider it a gift to be bonded to you. Just to speak to you like this... It's a wondrous joy. When you say my name, I feel as if I could do anything... As long as you were by my side. Why won't you come to me, Dorothy?"

"I'm not sure it would be safe if I came to you. Bondling children are forbidden for they have powers of both male and female and could destroy the world in infancy. Duo seems to understand these things."

"Duo." The bard spat the name out. "Why is he in your thoughts? I know he's more than a gladiator now, not even truly human, but an elf. Why, Dorothy? He took you away from me! Why do you believe him so readily? Why do you follow him?"

Silence came from the sorceress, then slowly her thoughts poured through in fragments.

"Why, Dorothy? Duo uses you. No! Oh, Mother, what are you doing? I follow because... I care because... Why?! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

Quatre quickly left Dorothy alone as her shouts rang through his mind. Why did she continue to travel with the elf? What was going on between his bonded and this Duo? He frowned and blinked at his bleeding knuckles. Strange... He didn't remember punching the oak tree standing before him...

*

"They'll soon be coming, your majesty." A smooth voice intoned in the dark room. Black silk covered the marble walls, cold onyx decorated the few objects adorning the cold room, and a large bed sat in its center, a woman slowly raising to a sitting position. Long chestnut brown hair, streaked with raven black, fell upon the bosomy pale female. Slightly tilted brown eyes fell upon the servant that had spoken and dark red lips quirked in amusement. She slowly stood, revealing the spider web-like dress that clung to her voluptuous curves.

"Interesting... Well, we must prepare the welcoming party." Her lips parted, revealing perfectly pearly white teeth. She raised a pale, long-fingered hand and waved the servant away, her long, black lacquered fingernails drinking in the sparse lighting.

The servant quickly departed and she turned back toward the chamber's bed. She sat down and smoothed a hand over a pale, but beautiful young boy's face. Her fingers brushed aside locks of chestnut brown hair and he blinked up at her, smiling weakly.

"Mama?"

"Sleep, darling. Mama has to prepare herself for some visitors, but I'll still be nearby." She leaned over and placed a light kiss on the boy's forehead. He yawned slightly, then closed his eyes, and the woman watched as he struggled to breathe. Sweat beaded his clammy skin and a single tear shone in the woman's eyes as she stood.

Then she turned away and smiled maliciously.

*