Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or any of its characters ^_^

Dawn and Moon Wars

Chapter Sixteen

Sylvia fell to the ground, her shoulders shaking as sobs escaped past bleeding lips. She'd bitten through the tender flesh and could taste the coppery liquid of life on her tongue. Her back stung and her clothes lay in tatters on the floor. From neck to calf she was covered in ugly, bleeding lashes. When they dragged her from her cell, she'd first feared they'd found her globe, but the Moon had merely wanted to hold another interrogation before he retired for the day.

The noblewoman was surprised at her own ability to remain quiet as he calmly asked her about the Cup. She'd screamed, begged, cried, but not once had she revealed the truth behind her dangerous hoax. When he'd ordered her rags to be removed, she'd felt fear enter her heart and for a second she'd been sure she'd break down if any of these men laid a hand upon her But he didn't care for flesh Or at least not hers. It had shocked her to realize that his complete lack of response to her bareness scared her more than anything he had done so far. He no longer truly seemed human Even his own soldiers had exchanged glances.

She hurt. Mother, her body felt as if it was on fire and she was positive that infection was already seeping into the wounds.  Behind her the Moon soldier tightened his hold on the rope whip and Sylvia could not control the whimper that fell past her lips as the knotted end whistled through the air. However, a hand reached out and caught the whip before it could touch her sensitive skin. Millardo took the whip and tossed it aside, kneeling beside the crying lady.

"Why do you force me to such extremes?" He asked as if speaking to a child sniffling over a boxed ear after stealing an apple tart. She tried to glare at him as he gently pushed up her chin with one elegant finger, but instead a tear slid down her face. Millardo sighed and wiped it away. "All I ask is a simple answer. Tell me and this will all end."

"You're mad." Sylvia managed through painful gasps. He frowned and slowly stood, his eyes hardening into crystal ice.

"Take her back to her cell." The Moon turned and stalked from the room, his white blond hair catching the beams of moonlight drifting through the high windows. The Moon guards allowed Sylvia time to pull what was left of her clothing on and then dragged her back to her cell, locking her in the dank dungeon once more.

Darkness crept outward and a tiny squeak announced the arrival of a rat. Sylvia squeezed her eyes shut, not wishing to see the disgusting creature. She hummed softly to herself, wondering how far her globe had traveled by now.

"I applaud you, lady. Not many would accept their destiny with such grace." A somewhat familiar, yet strangely ethereal voice sounded and Sylvia opened her eyes, only to lunge to her feet and begin clawing at the stone wall, screaming. The figure causing such commotion merely removed her moon-shaped spectacles and rubbed them on her green robe. However, as the lady did not seem to be in any mood to stop her antics and was angering the guards outside her door, the figure finally narrowed her eyes. "It is rare that the dead visit the living, messenger. I'd advise you to stop screaming and listen."

Sylvia swallowed and faced the misty figure. "But How?!"

A grim smile danced across Jaclyn's lips, "Web-seer's see the future, what is to be. Haven't you ever wondered how? It is because those of before weave the webs. I am forever sewn into the weavings of time and as such can fashion myself to come before you."

The noble was slowly calming, but apprehension still presented itself in her eyes and features. "Why then?"

The wraith smirked, "Why, indeed."

   *

Lucrezia crept through the shadows, her chest still as she flattened against the wall, watching the Moon soldier parade by. It had been surprisingly easy to sneak into the Galaxy Court. It seemed Millardo's men were brutally magnificent in battle, but were lenient on guard-duty. Too many years of hiding behind illusion in the woods, she supposed. Leaving her companions had been harder. She'd volunteered for first watch, yet it had taken hours for the male to finally close his eyes and slumber. Sneaking away had then been easy and she suspected that the two were probably still sleeping soundly.

She began to slide against the wall as the guard passed and slid behind a large tapestry as she heard footsteps. A pair of guards dragged a bleeding and dirty woman by and Noin's eyes narrowed at the sight. This was what was happening to the people?! She clutched her dagger and slipped into the room that the guards had exited with the prisoner. She knew this to be the Council's room, the place where they met those that came with important news But she barely recognized it. Scenes of battle seemed to cover the walls and instead of the once proud thrones of the Galaxy in their place stood a monstrosity. His throne.

It took effort to drag her eyes away from the sight, but when she did she spotted a door near the throne and quickly Noin crossed the room, her eyes darting about for archers or guards. She saw none and cautiously opened the door. It led to a short marble hallway and her feet made no sound as she stepped forward. She had removed her boots at the Court walls; she could run and fight as well with them on or off. Her feet took her to a second door and upon opening it, a large, magnificent bedroom was revealed. Like the Council's meeting room, the room had also been redecorated to bare his banner, but its walls and furniture showed a greater taste in the hunt than battle. However, her eyes were not on the room's décor as she quietly stalked forward. Among the silk sheets of a large mahogany bed rested a man with hair the color of the moon and it was he that held her attention as she raised her sharp dagger.

"Long live the Dawn" Noin whispered harshly as she brought the blade down upon the handsome man that slept so soundly.

   *

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" Dorothy's savage yell echoed through the clearing as the group turned to stare at the sorceress. She had both hands to her head and eyes squeezed shut as if in pain. Her eyes snapped open and she met their unwelcome gazes, only to groan as Duo stalked forward.

"He's back and you didn't tell me?!" Dorothy stiffened as probes of violet magick sifted through her mind then suddenly were gone. The elf advanced toward the sorceress, only to have one pale hand come in contact with his chest. "The shields are broken and he's placed his own weavings through the bond! When were you going to say something?!"

The sorceress glowered, "It's none of your concern, majesty." Her face paled slightly as he grabbed her wrist and pulled her close, his face flushed with rage.

"You are half elf, milady, meaning it is my concern. I'm trying to help you."

Dorothy tried to yank her hand back, "Help!?" You're using me! At least be honest, king!" He released her wrist and the blonde stumbled backwards, pressing against the wide trunk of a tree. "This is my life. I accept my responsibilities. He is one of my responsibilities, not yours. I'm tired of being used to help others. My life, Duo, and I will live it as I see fit."

"If you go to him, I will find you." Was all the Elysian King said before turning away to glower at Edward who had watched the exchange with curiosity. Dorothy frowned at the elf's back then faced the Reborn Dawn that stood beside her. Relena's bloody hands had been hidden away by black gloves and the Dawn seemed more at ease now that a truce had been called between the two groups.

"Your bonded?" Relena was surprised at how calm her voice sounded speaking those words. Yet, the idea of a male mage no longer horrified her. It was now an accepted reality that her childhood friend was bonded to a mage.

"Relena, do you remember how we used to tell each other everything?" Dorothy waited for the other woman to nod and a bitter smile curved the sorceress's lips upward. "You could never understand how it feels to have another person inside your head. He's always there; his thoughts, his emotions, his desires. It scares me because in some ways-." She hesitated and Relena place a gloved hand on her arm.

"We're no longer little girls, Dorothy." The Dawn glanced toward Heero; "We're allowed our secrets now."

Grim laughter bubbled past Dorothy's lips and her shoulders shook as if she cried. "That's the thing, Relena." Her eyes met Relena's and the Dawn paled as she noticed the somewhat fevered and chaotic gleam in the sorceress's blue-gray depths. "My secrets aren't secret to him."

Someone coughed, then groaned and Une slowly sat up. She pressed a hand against her throbbing temple and stared at the scene before her. Duo stood a mere foot away, smiling down at her concernedly as the human sorceress stood beside a strange woman.

Dorothy disdainfully glanced at Lady Une before turning her attention toward the sky. The trees seemed to stretch upward, reaching out toward the beautiful night sky. They would need to rest soon Their strange little group

"You never use to worry so much, Dorothy." Relena followed Dorothy's gaze toward the sky and rubbed her arms. She used to stare out her balcony and watch the stars, dreaming of adventure "But then we've both changed, haven't we?" The Dawn lowered her eyes toward her gloved hands and repressed a shudder. "Tell me, what will you do about the prophecy surrounding you here?"

"I will do what I must." A pale hand reached out and beckoned, Relena watched with ill-disguised hatred as the blood dagger leapt into the sorceress's hand.

"And what will that be?"

"I'm going to free the slaves here."

   *

He leaned against the cold granite wall, watching as she shifted in her sleep. The caverns were dark, the only light coming from the faintly flickering crystals embedded in the halls. His hand wrapped tightly around his sword's hilt, listening to its silent song of magick. How long had it been since he'd been gifted with the Sword? If he closed his eyes he could still see them circling him as the Sword named him. He had been full of bitterness and darkness. He had wanted to take the sword and fight. Millardo had fed his hate, filling his head with lies of justice. Millardo's idea of justice was revenge and the Sword did not agree.

"You're going, aren't you?" The blood warrior's voice jerked Wufei out of his ominous thoughts and he glanced toward the direction of her voice. In the darkness he could barely see the faintest outline of her face and body. He didn't answer, but instead looked toward Sally's sleeping form. Hilde followed his gaze and chuckled softly. "You're an old softie, falling for the healer." She smiled and punched his arm, "Don't worry, your secret's safe with me."

He grabbed her wrist tightly and faced her. "I have no secret."

Hilde rolled her eyes, pulling her wrist out of his grasp. "I'm going, too." She glanced toward Sally's form; "She's not a fighter. The Sadists would kill her instantly."

"I don't need your help, woman."

She raised an eyebrow, "My name is Hilde and you do need my help. You don't know how many are out there and your sword may be magick, but it won't help you if they attack you at the same time with their own spells." Hilde shifted her weight, "Any ways, the healer's my friend. I won't have her risking her life."

"You both underestimate her." The soft, deadly voice of the Spy Mistress spoke from the shadows. Midii chose not to step into the sparse light, instead allowing the darkness to embrace her. "She has powers we don't understand. Perhaps she is the only one that can stop the Sadists while you two will merely get in the way with your meddling."

"You don't know her." Hilde protested, but Midii's cold laughter stopped her from saying more.

"No, I don't. But how long have you known her, warrior? Or you, male? Neither of you know her as well as you're trying to pretend. The healer may have hidden strength that you're overlooking. Go, but I'm staying behind."

"Fine." Anger flashed across the blood warrior's expression, but she bit the inside of her cheek. Wufei's eyes passed over the Spy Mistress then he barely nodded and followed the blood warrior down the hall. Midii shook her head at their foolishness and scowled as Galea rubbed against her shin.

"What do you want?"

'I doubt even Sally could heal your pain.' Galea mused as she watched Midii disappear down a different hall.

"Galea?" Sally yawned as she sat up, shocked out of sleep at the sudden addition of weight on her legs. She sleepily stroked the catriffin's velvety fur. "Go to sleep." The healer lied back down and closed her eyes. Tomorrow would come and she would help the dwarves

   *

"Do you know how long this war has been prophesized? Ever since the beginning of slavery it has been set into motion. A lie can exist only for so long before the truth is brought to light." The fade smiled bitterly at the beaten Sylvia, her green eyes flashing.

"If you and the other web-seers knew of it, why didn't you warn us earlier?!" The lady yelled, her hands curling into tight fists. "How could you allow this to happen? Don't you care about the people?!"

She arched an eyebrow; "I care, but not as much as you. My short life was spent being looked down upon because of my parentage or feared because of my powers. Humans have showed me only scorn and fear. Why should I show more loyalty toward them than the ruling of the webs? You do, however, have my respect for enduring such treatment as long as you have." She raised a ghostly hand toward Sylvia; "I'm sorry if I seem heartless, but I have seen the worse and best of humanity No web-seer can walk away from their calling and no web-seer is ever left unmarked from their visions."

Sylvia looked away, no longer wishing to argue with the wraith before her. She swallowed then whispered softly, "You knew, didn't you? That this would happen to me You knew that day You told me my past was for me to find."

"I knew, but what good would it have done you had I told you? You would have lived those days in fear, unable to enjoy the beauty of life around you." Jaclyn walked toward the cold wall of the cell and closed her eyes. "You are the messenger of bad tidings. I bring you a message to bear." She raised her hands to its cool surface and Sylvia watched the faint glow of magick surround the girl. "In this world, there are many lives crisscrossing in an endless chaotic web of life. They create a tangle of reality, allowing what once was impossible to become possible. The New Age is arriving. People that once seemed average hold the chance to change their world, this world. Races that haven't been seen by humans are awakening. A war that they think has already begun is just starting."

"What do you mean they think? This is war! Battles are raging around us. The people are rebelling against his rule." Sylvia's eyes widened as her speech was halted by the silver ropes that danced from the dead web-seer's hands. The ropes clung to the wall, painting outward and crossing each other in a web of light and dark. It was beautiful, yet ghastly The power emitting from it caused Sylvia's mouth to become dry and parch and her eyes itched with the need to blink.

"Yes You would assume that these are the true battles." Jaclyn tilted her head at her web, smiling slightly as she studied the smooth silver webbing. One hand reached out, dancing across the web's middle, allowing her magick to travel outward adding her signature to its surface. Leaves unfurled and thorns beckoned with glittering points along the silver as a white flower blossomed in the middle. Every web-seer held her own personal signature This was hers.

"If the taking of the Galaxy Court wasn't a true battle, then what is?"

"This." She pointed at one of the spaces between the webbing, the wall wavered like water and Sylvia leaned forward as an image appeared. Three elegantly dressed men stood in an oval room of marble, a shining wooden table held a fragile vase of roses and a crystal bottle of wine. The Lady Sylvia's gaze danced across their features, swallowing convulsively wishingfor water.

"Who are they?"

"Duke Treize Khushrenada, Lord Dermail, and Lord Tubarov. They are Elysians and the battle they fight can change much of the outcome of this war."

"Elves" Sylvia breathed the word, her eyes widening in awe and fear.

"Elves. Dermail doesn't believe the rightful King Maxwell should hold the throne because of his mother. Maxwell's mother was a peasant who was crowned Queen upon her marriage to the King. Both have passed on to the gods leaving the throne to their only son. However, Dermail needs the Duke's support before announcing his attentions. Tubarov is his loyal lackey, doing whatever is needed for the promise of power and wealth."

"What does that have to do with the Dawn?!"

Jaclyn shook her head; "It is merely a small piece of the large picture." She motioned toward another space, causing another image to appear. A woman that seemed clothed in shadow smiled maliciously as she beckoned with a pale hand. She licked her lips slowly and seductively, eyes dark with cruel glee. Sylvia felt a cold chill pass up her spine as she took an involuntary step forward toward the woman. Her pale beauty beckoned like a flame.

"A Sadist."

The woman threw back her head and laughed, white teeth flashing in the dark. Jaclyn watched her with a frown. "A Sadist Known as dark elves by some. They are distant cousins of those creatures that dwell in their cloud castles, but their personalities tilt more to their relatives, the nymphs. What do you know of such creatures, lady?"

"They are as cruel as they are beautiful. Their nature is reflected in their name as sadists. They are sadistic and focus their attention on carnal pleasures of the flesh. The death of innocents amuses them as does their corruption. Called dark elves because of their physical similarities, but while elves are creatures of light and sky and air, Sadists are of the shadows and fire." She forced herself to look away from the Sadist female and focused on the ceiling. "They create an aura that propels humans toward them; some are said to be so beautiful one feels compelled to do whatever they ask just to stare upon them."

"Correct, yet you assume much. Like any species they are not fully evil. No one is. No one is fully good. Not even the Dawn." Jaclyn motioned toward the Sadist; "She waits to play games with warriors that come to kill her and her kind for the dwarves. Though she smiles and laughs, inside her thoughts go toward a young boy that sleeps in her room fighting for each breath he takes. She is Sadist second and mother first, though she fights it."

Another image formed and the seer smiled slightly. "There stands the Elysian King and the half-breed Sorceress."

"The Dawn's Advisor!"

"No. She is no longer the Dawn's Advisor. They're arguing." Sylvia bit the inside of her cheek as she watched the braided man throw his arms up as he yelled at the blonde sorceress. Dorothy smirked and tossed her hair over one shoulder, mouth moving though Sylvia couldn't hear her words. The Elysian King's hands dropped and his lips widened into an impish grin as he said something and winked. The sorceress's eyes narrowed, she snapped something, and stalked off. The King yelled something after her and ducked as a pinecone flew over his head. "They plan to set into action a prophecy, but he fears for her safety. She's unused to anyone caring overly for her, even the Dawn usually assumed that she could handle anything. She pushes him away and hides behind the false hope that he's only using her Because if he's only using her then she doesn't have to face a hidden shattering realization."

"What does any of this have to do with the Dawn?! You're not making sense!" Sylvia cried and the web-seer bit her lip once before turning to face the lady.

"There are secrets that you must accept. There are facts that you must see. You must become to understand."

"What do you mean?"

The web-seer glanced once toward her shimmering web, "Lady Sylvia, your beliefs on slavery and the Mother I've come to tell you the truth." She faced Sylvia, ghostly green eyes somewhat glassy as she spoke. "And only the truth."

   *

Air escaped past Lucrezia's lips as blue eyes snapped open and locked with hers and a strong hand wrapped around her wrist. Millardo smiled coldly as he tightened his hold, using her surprise to his advantage and prying the dagger from her hand. It clattered against the far wall and Lucrezia's eyes narrowed as she found herself on her back with the Moon looming over her.

She spat in his face, ignoring his outraged yell, and kicked him off. Lucrezia jumped off the bed and lunged for her dagger, only to have a large body slam into hers. She growled and shoved her hand upward, the base catching him in the chin. He stumbled back then returned her growl with a snarl and ripped the sheet from the large bed, twisting it before snapping it at her. Lucrezia jumped once before grabbing one end of the sheet and yanking. He pulled back and she fell forward, catching a knee in the waist as she tried to turn out of his grasp. Her hand reached out wildly and wrapped around the loose, long strands of his white blonde hair.

Millardo's eyes widened as she pulled and found himself falling with her. He ignored the pain and his hands found themselves around her tan neck. Lucrezia struggled, releasing her hold as she landed a punch. Blood streamed from a once perfect nose and dripped onto her face as he continued to choke her, his eyes lit with a cool gleam.

Then something snapped into place behind those cold eyes.

"Lucy?" His hands didn't move from their position, but Captain Noin found she could breathe once again.

Her eyes widened, "No You can't be!"

"Lucy" His deep voice cut through her and she found herself seeing the Moon for the first time, actually seeing the man instead of the menace.

"Oh, Zechs"

   *

Catherine watched as her brother pushed aside a low-hanging branch, allowing her to pass through first before releasing it. He had been this way since they had awakened to find the Captain missing. His silence worried her as it continued throughout the day. Of course, she had also been furious when she realized Noin had left during the night. Why had the Captain deserted them? Catherine had the suspicion that the Captain had left because of her

'I did what I had to do.'

'Those people are dead because of me'

Stormy gray eyes locked with emerald and silence reigned. Then two words were spoken, pushed past pale pink lips. "I'm sorry"

Trowa looked toward the starry sky, "I know."

"Are you okay?" It was Trowa's soft voice that brought Catherine around, forcing her to realize that the scene she'd just witnessed was another of the visions that plagued her. Midii Midii and Trowa

"No!"  Trowa raised an eyebrow and a faint blush painted Catherine's cheeks. "I mean-I I'm fine. Another vision." He continued to watch her and she felt a surge of love as she saw worry hidden in his green eyes. Her brother She'd never let him be taken away again. Never. "Trowa, I'm fine. It was so short that it barely registered, just surprised me."

Liquid silver couldn't move as fast as the former slave acrobat as he pushed her aside and slammed his hand down on a twisting form. Curved fangs lunged for his hand as venom dripped like acid rain. Trowa threw the snake aside and straightened slowly. It happened so quickly that Catherine was still struggling to sit up by the time he was fully standing and offering her a hand. Her small hand was enveloped by his as he easily lifted her to her feet, his face softening slightly as he watched her.

She tightened her hand around his, refusing to release him. Her eyes sought his as she spoke with a frenzied urgency, "That snake. You saved me from a snake just like that before. How much do you remember? Do you remember mother?"

He yanked his hand back, turning his face away so his bangs hid his features from her probing eyes. "Why do you care? So I can invoke that cup? You never found me."

"I searched for you! I told you that! I searched everywhere, but she hid your trail! I love you, Trowa! No matter what happened I've always loved you. You're my brother. Nothing can change that." Tears slid down her face and she flung her arms around him, ignoring the way he tensed in her grasp. "The Cup is yours to do with as you wish. I'll support you whatever you choose. Trowa, I never wanted to lose you. The day you were taken away a part of me died and now I feel as if I'm truly alive again."

He gently removed her arms and pushed her away, "I don't know you and you don't know me. All I have are dreams and all you have are memories. People change over the years."

"You are still my brother."

"Not even blood can keep love alive. Sometimes hate and disgust are stronger." His quiet words caused a shiver to run through Catherine's body Her mouth moved soundlessly as he turned away and resumed walking through the woods. Finally, she followed after him not even bothering to wipe the tears from her face.

   *

Light flooded the small clearing where seven figures moved, each following orders that had been given to them by their various leaders though each order had first been issued from one mouth. Sorceress Dorothy Catalonia stood in the middle, her cool blue-gray eyes watching the man before her with a small malicious smile. The clothes she now wore had been retrieved from the inn by Duo who had cheerfully informed her of the innkeeper's sudden demise.  A plain brown cloak flapped behind her; it would soon be clasped to hide the green tunic and brown leggings. Her tall brown boots kicked idly at a clump of grass and Edward winced each time her foot neared him. 'Pathetic.'

She tossed her hair, the loose strands waving in a sudden chilly wind. Relena shivered from where she stood beside Heero, her own cloak reclaimed and draped around her shoulders. The hood was down, but would soon be lifted to hide her honey blonde locks. The Panther eyed everyone suspiciously, black paint marked his face once again and his vest had been mended from the cuts Duo's scythe had made. Healing had been done for all during the night and morning.

Winter was coming. Dorothy lifted her eyes toward the sky and licked her lips. Winter was never a good time for war. Snow caused troops to march slowly and could trap people inside their own fortresses. Snow also melted causing floods; roads would become rivers of mud. On a fighting field, a sheet of ice or a puddle of mud could end a woman's life. The cold winds and ice could mark death for the unwary soldier if she wandered away from the troop. All in all, winter was not a season she welcomed this year.

"This won't possibly work." The mage's words dragged her from her ominous thoughts and she raised an eyebrow.

"And why is that?"

"They're slaves. They don't know how to be free." A bit of his courage seemed to be returning with each word he uttered. "They'll panic like cornered animals."

"Perhaps." Her smile widened, "But I'm here only to free them not to lead them."

"Spoke the cold-hearted witch as she conversed with her prisoner." Duo's mocking voice caused Dorothy to stiffen as the elf joined the two. "You do seem to have the makings of a heroine, Dorothy dear."

"As you have the makings of a true ass." Dorothy hissed, ignoring the slightly surprised glance sent her way by Relena The sorceress also didn't miss the wonder that replaced the surprise or the way Relena's eyes became hooded and turned away. The Dawn had grown stronger Dorothy knew she wondered about the change in the sorceress, but at the same time Relena also focused on how those changes might affect her own goals. Did Relena still hold any of the fragile innocence she'd once possessed?

Duo stumbled backwards, hands held to his heart, "Ah! Thy lady wounds my delicate heart!"

"Your Majesty, it is time." Une announced, clearly avoiding looking at the sorceress. Both elves had been revived and told of the events to pass during their sleep, including Dorothy's parentage. Une had been strangely quiet since the telling and Dorothy had felt her brown eyes following her when Une believed Dorothy to be unaware.

Dorothy clasped her cloak and allowed twine to be loosely wound around her wrists What came next though nearly broke through her façade of ice Gleefully, Edward raised the silver, jewel-embedded collar and moved it toward her pale neck. Duo, Relena, and she had each worked on it the night before. It no longer blocked her magicks, but the thought of what it had once done to her The feel of its cold metal pressed against her flesh. She squeezed her eyes shut and waited

A light finger ran across her cheek gently and her eyes snapped open to lock gazes with violet pools. Duo's grin was missing as he tenderly placed the collar around her neck, his eyes never leaving hers. He brushed another finger against her cheek as he pushed a strand of hair behind one pale, slightly pointed ear. Dorothy's breath came in short, quiet gasps then she jerked away, breaking the eye contact.

Duo watched her for a second, then spun to face the mage with a growl. His whispered words went unheard by the sorceress as she joined Relena, but the Panther listened with disinterest. "If she is hurt at all during this, I will hunt you down and kill you." He grinned widely, showing slightly sharp teeth, "The God of Death never breaks his promises."

Edward shuddered and nodded frantically, collapsing in on himself as soon as Duo had turned away, his violet eyes watching as Dorothy whispered something to Relena. When the Dawn wasn't trying to kill him, he'd found that she was actually quite nice if a bit shy. However, whenever he talked to her he'd get the feeling that he held only half her attention She always seemed to have an eye out watching for her silent companion. How those two ever came to be traveling buddies he'd never know But then again were they as strange as he and Dorothy?

Duo forced a friendly grin, "Well, we aren't much help in this, are we?" He placed an arm around the Panther's shoulders and ignored the cold glare he received. "The girls sneak in, throw a magic show, and then we come running in to rescue the damsels in distress." He lowered his voice somewhat; "You didn't like this plan, either. Why didn't you say something? Relena would have listened to you." Duo and the Dawn had quickly established a first name basis, both understanding that as royalty they were equals no matter gender or race. The Elysian King had been surprised to see how calmly Relena accepted the fact of elves and males, but then again her panther friend had explained the truth to her.

"Hn." The Panther shook Duo's arm off and walked away, ignoring the braided elf.

"Not much of a conversationalist, I take it."

"Idiot." A feminine voice whispered in an almost affectionate tone and he glanced sharply toward Dorothy, but she was facing Relena, her hair swishing behind her in a curious manner... As if she'd spun around very suddenly.

He scratched his head, "Now, I'm hearing things."

Dorothy turned away from Relena and Edward grabbed the end of the twine that held her hands loosely. She looked around once, eyes gazing over each of their features. She locked eyes with Edward, "If anything happens, I will come after you. Trust me." The mage glanced sharply at Duo before swallowing and nodding.

Relena pulled her hood up, "Good luck."

The sorceress smirked, "I create my own luck."

   *

 Sally's eyes snapped open as she hissed in pain, jerking her hand out of the reach of a jaw full of very sharp teeth. Galea stared up at her, her eyes clearly stating that the healer had been allowed enough sleep and it was time to wake up. "You couldn't think of a more gentle way to wake me?" Galea meowed and jumped down, her tail whipping through the air as she paced. Sally watched the catriffin, one hand playing with the multitudes of braids that still adorned her head. "What is wrong, Galea? Hungry?"

She stood, stretching much like the catriffin before her. Her soft, intelligent eyes surveyed the cavern she'd slept in and listened Not a sound A frown marred her features as she took a step toward the room's opening. Yesterday, the caverns and tunnels had been a bustle of noise, but now Anxiety began to thread its way through her blood and her steps quickened till she was outside, standing in the center of an empty tunnel. "Hello?"

A slight click announced the arrival of someone, though Sally supposed later that the noise was for her benefit only. The person creating the noise stepped out of the shadows, gray eyes watching the healer closely, not missing any details. Blonde hair had been twisted into a tight bun and the Spy Mistress's clothing had obviously been laundered and mended, a short sword hung at her side, and a black ribbon was laced around her three middle fingers, the sign of mourning. Sally met the Mistress's eyes easily, no longer the once timid healer's apprentice she'd once been.

Midii raised an eyebrow, "The dwarves are praying."

"Praying?"

"To their gods. They think it'll protect the two warriors." Midii leaned backwards, her weight supported by the granite walls.

"Why would Hilde and Wufei need protection?"

A grim smile appeared on the Spy Mistress's face, "They left to fight the Sadists."

Time stopped as the healer stumbled backwards, her face bloodless with shock and fright. "They Damn it!" Worry replaced shock and fear But anger soon overwhelmed all emotion. "Mother take them! No one trusts me, no one believes in me. The dwarves brought me here to save them. I have the Glove."

"They don't want you to get hurt. Anger won't help you They could be dead by now Anger merely wastes time that could be used to help them. I don't think any of us were brought here for no reason. Fate is twisting our lives as easily as a web-seer twists a web." Despair laced with self-hate could clearly be heard in each word spoken by the spy.

"Where is Queen Mariemeia?" Sally asked after a long pause, allowing the Spy Mistress's words to cut through her anger It still resided somewhere inside of the healer, but for now she'd focus on the task set ahead and not on hurt feelings.

"With her people." Midii pulled a scroll of paper from her belt and handed it to the healer. "She asked me to give that to you when you awoke. It's a map leading to the Sadists' caverns." A dagger appeared in her left hand, seemingly from thin air, and she placed it in Sally's other hand.

Sally shook her head and took the map, holding the dagger out for Midii to take. "I'm a Healer. I save lives, I won't kill."

"The Sadists are not kind. They will torture you, kill you, seduce you. You need a weapon."

Steel entered the healer's voice; "I will not kill."

Silence reverberated between the two, then Midii shrugged and turned away, taking the dagger as she did. "It is your life."

"I'm sorry."

Midii paused and glanced over her shoulder, "Sorry?"

The healer motioned toward the black ribbon. "Sorry for your loss."

Dove gray eyes locked on the ribbon and softly whispered words fell from her lips. "Don't be sorry I lost them long ago" The Spy Mistress wouldn't meet Sally's eyes as she lifted her head, her feet not making a sound as she seemed to disappear into the shadows.

   *

Dorothy stumbled as Edward pulled her along, Relena and the Panther followed at both sides of her. She cursed him soundlessly, watching from the corner of her eyes as they entered Ransik. The people ignored their passing; it wasn't an unusual sight. Edward was just leading another slave to the cages Something inside Dorothy seemed to bubble as she watched the people. How could they allow this to go on? How could they allow anyone to live under the circumstances these slaves were forced under? How? She tossed her head and Edward glanced backward, eyes already wide in fear. She ignored him, trying to control the anger inside of her.

She silently urged Edward to speed up, but the slow steady walk continued. By the time the cages were in sight, Dorothy was nearly fidgeting. This wasn't right. No one person could hold this much anger. Her head snapped upward and she mouthed one name, her eyes no longer seeing the cages before her or Trant as he questioned Edward about her return.

'Quatre.'

The image of him as he made his way through the very woods she had just come from was so clear she felt she could touch him if she just tried. A lute was strapped to his back and he seemed normal Except not a sound came from his mouth and the woods were silent as he passed. His entire being emitted rage, hate, and possession

"Dorothy?"  He glanced around, finally feeling her presence. "Please, go away. I don't want to hurt you."

'Why are you so angry?'

His eyes widened, then narrowed and his answer sent her mind reeling with its force. "Why?! WHY?! He took you away from me! He took you away! And now you're helping him, traveling with him, caring about him!"

'So, this is why your anger is coming through the bond and adding to mine. I don't care what you think about Duo, Quatre. You do not own me!' His next words caused shudders to run up and down Dorothy's spine.

"Leave before I do something we both regret, Dorothy" The intensity with which the words were spoken hit a chord deep inside Dorothy and she fled like a child running from the dark, fearing the unknown

  "So, ya be back, I see." Nattie's voice called to Dorothy and the sorceress blinked, her eyes focusing on the setting around her. She had been placed inside a very familiar cage, outside Relena and the Panther discussed prices with Edward and Trant. She rubbed a hand across her face, wiping away beads of sweat. She met the scarred warrior's eyes and forced a smile.

  "I thought you might already be sold."

  "I be too costly for these. Nobles comin' today." Nattie motioned toward someone and the hunching figure of the crone stumbled forward, a glass of water in her gnarled hands. "What happen to ya? Ya barely did stand the day they sold ya. Not a scar now."

  Dorothy took the glass from the crone with a smirk, drinking it easily, the sand grinding against her teeth. She licked her lips and thanked Crone before straightening, her head nearly touching the low roof of the cage. "I had to return, Nattie. I have a prophecy to fulfill." Silence reigned inside the small cage as the remaining women edged closer, their eyes wide as they listened to the sorceress speak. Dorothy held out a hand to Nattie and she took it, an eyebrow raised as she waited for an explanation. The sorceress liked the fighter before her; Nattie was smart, yet kind in her own way. Her imprisonment hadn't beaten her down, but made her stronger.

  Dorothy tightened her hold on Nattie's hand and propelled their entwined hands into the air, her voice like a whip. "There is no difference between me and this woman. We are both considered slaves, both considered lower than animals. All of us here are thought of in such a light. No more! You wait for 'The One' to come and save you when the truth is, you all are The One. Only together can you gain your freedom, only by struggling and fighting for it will you succeed. One woman cannot do that, no matter what the prophecy states. Together you are free."

  Nattie's eyes widened at each word then slowly she smiled at the sorceress holding her hand. She threw back her head and let out a blood-curdling yell of primal rage, somewhere in the crowd of people that had begun to surround the cages to listen to Dorothy's speech someone answered Nattie's roar. Dorothy released Nattie's hand as the women in the cage joined the warrior woman. A commotion was starting in the cages nearby, male and female slaves alike were answering. Yet, Dorothy knew that this wasn't enough. Not a single slave was attacking the walls or trying to fight Some were already quieting as Trant and his men made their way toward the cages.

  The sorceress threw off her cloak and pulled the blood dagger from her belt. It sang for blood and the collar fell from her throat, landing at her feet. Trant yelled out orders as a sound bubbled from Dorothy's throat Laughter

  "To set those suffering serfs free!" The yell burst free and Dorothy's hair whipped around her as her elements were unleashed. Her eyes widened as part of her magic was diverted from the stream and her eyes locked on the blood dagger. It glowed

  To fear it is to fear a part of yourself. To fear yourself is the worst fear of all

The voice that whispered inside her head wasn't Quatre's It was light and wispy and feminine. It tasted of ancient power and life and death. Dorothy nodded slightly, her hand moving unconsciously, the dagger singing through the air. Power emanated from both sorceress and dagger, there was no sorceress and dagger. They were one and Dorothy's solemn face turned toward the slaves watching her with both awe and terror.

"STOP HER!" Trant continued to issue orders to Rashid, but the towering giant of a man could merely watch as Dorothy pointed the dagger at the prison's locked door. It flung open and the slaves raced forward, all but two that walked behind the blonde sorceress.

Somewhere, the ground trembled and another cage was opened. Trant spun around, watching as a cloaked figure raised gloved hands to the sky. Night followed at her side, cutting down those that threatened the figure. The whites of his eyes showed as a calm voice broke over the chaos surrounding him. He turned to see Dorothy making her way toward him The crowds split before her, those that tried to harm the sorceress were either taken out of the fight by the scarred woman that followed her or by the dagger Dorothy clutched.

Trant turned; Rashid's men were being outnumbered and the sorceress had obviously found another of her kind to help her. He was escaping before he lost his own life. He slammed into a figure, stumbling backwards as his eyes surveyed the man before him. Medium height, medium build, handsome but Trant had sold men handsomer. A long, chestnut braid draped over his chest, nearly coming to his waist, and violet eyes were his most notable attributes That and the sinister grin he wore and the gleam of madness lurking in those violet depths.

"Going somewhere? Ah, but the fun has just begun." Duo wrapped a hand around the man's throat, his grin widening. The elf's illusion faltered and Trant gasped, kicking as he was lifted upward. He pulled a dagger from his belt and thrust it at the elf. Duo's free hand caught his wrist and he twisted, relishing in the sound of bones breaking, and the dagger fell to the ground. Trant tried to yell, but the hand around his throat prevented such an action.

"Your life is mine." Duo whispered menacingly as the slave driver struggled to free himself.

   *

Wufei struggled to open his eyes as a hand smoothed his hair back. The small hand caressed his face and soft lips pressed gently against his temple. He blinked, a hazy image appearing before him. "Meiran" The hoarse, throaty murmur surprised both speaker and listener. Wufei shook his head and saw that the person before him was not Meiran. Just the thought of her name caused pain to stab through him and he pushed both good and bad memories aside.

Waves of chestnut and black streaked hair fell upon pale white skin, a perfect pair of milky white breasts called to be-

"NO! Get away from me, woman!" Wufei pushed the Sadist away, struggling to sit up. He had been placed in a large bed, black silk hid the two from any curious eyes. He snarled as his body protested, yet finally managed to lean his upper half against the headboard. The Sadist before him laughed softly as she watched him struggle to do such a simple thing.

Her web-like dress clung to every curve and brown eyes mocked him as she crawled closer. "It has been a very long time since I have seen such a delicious example of humanity." His onyx eyes met hers and he found himself falling into their warm depths. She was perfect in every aspect. He raised one unworthy hand to touch her face and her smile widened. "That's it, my lovely one. I am the only one-."

"The prince, your majesty!"

The voice cut through her layers of enchantment and Wufei drew back his hand, cursing the Sadist before him. She didn't even bother to look at him as she leapt from the bed, shoving aside black silk to run from the room. Wufei watched her leave with confusion and rage and, shame filled him, yearning. A part of him still wanted the woman that had sat before him.

His muscles felt weak and he didn't even bother to try and stand. He knew that what his muscles needed now was rest Rest and then he'd think of escape 'Gods, how did this happen?' He didn't want to think of what the blood warrior was going through Was she even alive?

Hilde and he had followed the Queen's directions, entering the Sadists' territory without confrontation That should have warned them, but they both had been too worried over what would happen if they failed to notice the lack of guard till they entered the Sadists' Hall. Cloaked in shadows, they had been everywhere. Their beauty, magicks, and skill had quickly overwhelmed the two warriors. Together, he estimated, they had killed over a dozen Sadists and wounded others. He had to admit that it was the blood warrior that had allowed them to last as long as they had. Her ability to become stronger with each drop of blood she shed had been their only protection after a bit Till she was knocked unconscious

The Sadists had descended with fierce determination and the last thing he remembered was seeing a figure of beauty, her beauty so that even a few Sadists had fought the urge to step toward her and obey. She had come toward him, smiled, and he remembered no more

Till he had awoken here in the Sadists' lair Under her care Her majesty. The Queen of Sadists, but what was wrong with the prince to cause such a reaction in the usually calm and perverse creatures. He lied his head back, staring at nothing But seeing much more inside his mind.

Wufei stared at the sword that he held, its gleaming blade seeming to mock him. Justice, truth, honor. She had stood for those things, always ready to fight for what she believed in And she had believed in him. He had let her down A low cry escaped from Wufei's mouth, the sound of an animal in mourning. He stabbed the sword into the earth, falling to his knees as tears slid down his face. How could the gods do this? Meiran was worth a thousand of him How could he survive while she died?

"You and I aim toward the same goal, sir." The voice that spoke was articulate, almost musical in its huskiness. Wufei leapt to his feet and aimed the sword toward the figure that stepped forward.

"Who are you?"

"I am Millardo. I'm raising an army to fight the Dawn and her soldiers. I would like you to join, Chang Wufei."

Wufei lowered the Sword, "Why should I join you?"

"The Dawn's soldiers killed your wife. They deserve justice for what they have done to you and others. I need your skills. Help me and your wife's death will be avenged."

"Perhaps." Wufei sheathed the dirt-covered sword and walked past the tall man.

"I'll be waiting." Millardo smiled as he watched Wufei disappear into the woods.

Wufei opened his eyes as someone prodded him. "Get up." A man of an unnatural beauty forced him to stand and he was glad to find that his muscles had received the rest they had needed during his short nap. He eyed the Sadist guard before him and smirked when he saw the man was armed with a black spear. So, they weren't underestimating him.

They left the chamber and were joined by three more Sadists, two females and another male. Wufei allowed them to lead him down tunnels and through caverns without uttering a word of protest. He mentally mapped the way, not allowing any curiosity to show on his face. It didn't take long for him to realize where they were leading him when he began to recognize a few of the tunnels and caverns

The Sadists' Hall was once again full of the creatures, yet now they sat on benches and risers. A few were obviously nobles, though he found it hard to depict the difference between commoners and noble-born. They all seemed to wear the same extravagant, revealing clothing and each was beautiful, seductive. The center of the Hall was cleared except for two bound prisoners and guards. One prisoner lay on the ground; her eyes closed as a male Sadist played with her hair. Its bright coloring seemed to attract many eyes and he easily recognized the blood warrior, Hilde. The other prisoner was held by two guards, both looking confused as she continued to struggle.

"Release me!"

"Sally." Wufei cursed and lunged forward, "Sally!" The Sadist guards reacted and he found his way barred by crossing spears.

"Sally" A voice purred and all eyes went to the figure that sat upon a black throne. She stood, her legs rubbing against each other as she walked toward the prisoners. She no longer wore the web-like dress, but black pants similar to his own, yet they clung much tighter to her. She wore no shirt and at her waist hung a single black dagger.

Wufei shoved against the spears, but they wouldn't budge. "Have you no honor, woman?!"

"It was once believed that names hold power over one." Black fingernails tapped Sally's chin, forcing the healer to meet her brown eyes. A faint blush painted Sally's cheeks as she took in the woman's upper bareness, but her gaze never faltered. "Courage, little one. You'll be needing that."

"Are you sure it won't be you needing courage?" Sally responded, jerking her chin out of the woman's grasp. Black nails cut into her skin and blood welled.

The Queen of Sadists smiled, "I like you, Sally. My name is Lanetta. Now, we are even if names do hold power." Her smile widened, revealing her white teeth. "You have trespassed upon my lands and punishment is inevitable. However, I give you a chance to save yourself and your two friends. A duel, of sorts, between you and I. If you win, I will allow you and your friends to go unharmed. If I win, you will be forced into slavery," she motioned toward Wufei, "he will become mine," a single finger pointed toward Hilde's unconscious form, "and she will be killed."

"And if I refuse?"

Lanetta moved away, motioning for the guards to lower their spears. She reached Wufei and caressed his face, forcing him to look into her eyes. A pause and then she wrapped her arms around the taller male human. "Then I win." She purred as Wufei lowered his mouth to her neck and lightly kissed her pale skin.

"Don't. Touch. Him." The venom placed in each word shocked the assembly and the Queen looked toward the healer. Sally seemed to have surprised herself as her eyes widened, then slowly narrowed. She stepped forward, her Sadist guards having released her. "Release him and I will agree to your terms."

Lanetta coyly peered through long lashes as she moved away from Wufei, removing her seductive magick from him as she did. His eyes widened and he sent Sally a questioning glare, but the healer shook her head. He would never hear from her what had happened. "Then let us begin." She eyed Sally's apparel and a sadistic smile danced across her red lips. "I had a feeling you would agree as soon as we captured you."

"You haven't given me much of a choice. I suppose this is the arena."

Lanetta nodded and motioned toward a young female Sadist. The girl held a small box, which she offered to her Queen with a slightly awed expression. The Queen opened the box and offered its contents to the healer. "My people have gathered to watch this. I will not delay for it has been a long time since such entertainment has been possible. Here lies your weapon. Remove your blouse and the fighting will soon begin. Your bare chest is to announce your openness to the blade and that you hide no shame for what you are about to do."

Sally stared at the black dagger that lied among velvet and bit her lower lip.

"I will not kill."

She raised her eyes to meet Lanetta's and slowly the healer's hand closed around the dagger's hilt.

*

  Relena fought to control the blood rage as it sought to be released. It wanted to kill, destroy, and defeat its enemies. The Reborn Dawn gritted her teeth as she freed another imprisoned group of slaves. It helped if she kept convincing herself that these people weren't her enemies, but Dorothy's. Relena paused in mid-stride, trying to fight the nausea that threatened to overwhelm her. Holding back the blood rage, using so much of her new and still unknown powers, and seeing so many people killed were beginning to wear on her soul and stomach

A hand grasped her arm and she turned to see Heero watching her with those dark Prussian blue eyes. 'A woman could fall in eyes like those and die happily' She thought with a small smile before realizing what such thoughts could lead to. She couldn't harbor feelings for him Mother, he just wanted to return to his original form He was an animal. Even if he looked human, inside he was still a panther. He could never feel the same for her And even if he did, she could never hurt him like that. He was and always would be a panther at heart.

"It is time." Relena cast one last glance toward the shining form that was Dorothy and licked her lips. They would meet in the woods where horses waited for a few of them Yes, only a few They would meet and then separate once more It had been discussed deep into the night before and even though she didn't want the blonde sorceress to leave her so soon, she knew Dorothy had to. War was inevitable and an army was needed.

Duo had pledged himself to her cause.

Which meant the elves would be there to help her fight the Moon and claim her throne. Relena wasn't sure why the Elysian King had so readily agreed to help her, though she supposed it did have something to do with her former Advisor She would not question his reasons; the truth was she needed his support. Duo was to leave for his homeland and gather his people and Dorothy was to leave with him. Heero would continue to accompany her as she returned to her own home and sought for any Dawn soldiers that had escaped the Moon's wrath. It was dangerous for all of them, but it had to be done

Relena allowed Heero to pull her into the woods. 'Whether or not you can create your own luck, Dorothy, I still wish you some more.'

   *

"Zechs, what do you think you're doing?" Lucrezia asked as Millardo poured them both large amounts of Star-bright. She stared at the ale with ill-hid sorrow; she could still remember stealing sips of the strong ale with her favorite companion, the young noble slave named Zechs Zechs Mother, he was the Moon?! How could the sweet boy she'd known so long ago turn into this man? How?

"I am merely reclaiming what is rightfully mine." He handed her a glass, his fingers lingering upon her hand before turning away from her confused gaze. "You know who I am, Lucy We tried to ignore the fact when we were younger, but we both knew the truth. I am Millardo, brother to the Reborn Dawn. Her elder brother and this kingdom belongs to me."

Lucrezia slammed her glass down, lunging to her feet. "I saw how well you treat your people, Zechs! I saw that woman! She couldn't even stand! This kingdom belongs to Relena and you know that! You are male!" She yelled at his back, only to find herself faced with brilliant blue eyes. Millardo grabbed her hand and Noin thought of numerous curses, fighting tactics, yet she couldn't She couldn't hurt Zechs When they had been children, he had been the only one to see her for herself and not as a mere commoner Too young for prejudice they had become friends She had known who he was, but had refused to admit it to both him and herself Till, he'd disappeared

She had seen him hold his baby sister, seen the way he'd stared at Relena with such fierce protectiveness. He had known what Relena's birth meant for him, but still he had loved the little girl. The day he disappeared she swore to protect the Star as he would've wanted. Lucrezia had wept for him She had cried day and night for his death. She had tried to hate Relena, but it was impossible to hate the sweet princess So, she protected and she loved and she tried to fill the pain inside of her with her duties to the Star.

But here he was, alive. Zechs was alive and trying to take Relena's kingdom. To whom did her duties lie? With the boy she'd befriended so long ago or to the princess she'd sworn her life to?

"I know I am male, Lucy. I would have it no other way. For years, women have imprisoned men and forced them to bend to their will. It is time this came to an end. These are my lands, my people, my throne, and I will treat them how they deserve to be treated. That woman is a traitor." Millardo released her hand and took a step back. "I wonder, what are you, Lucy?"

"Captain Noin, Captain of the Dawn's Swords. That is who and what I am. I am sworn to protect the Reborn Dawn and her lands." Lucrezia met his eyes and her next words shattered the fantasy that somewhere had always lived inside of her. "I will fight till the throne belongs to the Reborn Dawn."

Millardo's hand twitched and he half raised it before turning away from her. "Leave, Lucrezia."

"Zechs"

"We are children no longer." He spun around, hand raising to strike her, "Leave!"

A tear slid down her face and her whispered words seemed to echo through the air. "I cannot. Please, let me stay with you Just for a while."

Millardo's hand fell and he looked away, unable to meet her eyes.

   *

Wufei was forced to sit in the front row to watch the duel between the Queen of Sadists and the Holder of the Glove, as people were referring to Sally as. The healer held a dagger that matched the Queen's and her blouse had been removed. In the beginning, a faint blush had traveled down her neck to cover her chest, but now she was too focused on the Queen to care. Around him bets were being placed on who would win, though many agreed that their Queen would quickly overwhelm the human healer.

So far, the two merely circled one another, the Queen occasionally speaking in a conversational tone. He couldn't always understand what she was saying to Sally, but from the healer's reactions he probably didn't want to hear what the Sadist was saying.

Sally jumped backwards, nearly tripping over her own feet, as the Queen's dagger stabbed forward. Her heart pounded wildly as she dodged another strike and anger coursed through her blood as she realized Lanetta was merely playing with her. The healer lunged forward, dagger slashing through the air, and Lanetta calmly stepped aside. Sally jerked her arm back and the circling began again.

"He's watching. What do you suppose his attention is really focused on?" Lanetta chuckled softly as Sally glowered. The healer tried to block out the Sadist's taunting words, but the woman really knew how to barb her words. She focused her attention on the woman before her and the healer in her began to take over. Veins called to her, pressure points sang, and joints beckoned. Sally knew how to heal a person, what to do to stop excessive bleeding, how to stitch a wound And she knew what could cause the injuries to need her attention.

"Enjoying the view, human?"

Sally looked upward and frowned, Lanetta lunged forward and a cheer went up as the Queen's dagger slid across the healer's collarbone, blood welled to the surface and slid down her chest, painting it red. Sally stumbled backwards, pain lacing through her body. Lanetta loomed over her and Sally stabbed the dagger upward, cutting into the Sadist's arm, tearing throughmuscle and tendons. A roar shook the Hall as enraged Sadists jumped to their feet. Lanetta snarled and a cry escaped past Sally's lips as the Queen's dagger plunged into her side. Fire and ice seemed to burn through her as the blade was pulled free and Lanetta stood, surveying her work. The Queen's left arm hung useless at her side and Sally watched as the Sadist brought the blood covered dagger to her lips and licked one side of it clean.

"You lose."

Sally curled around her wound, the cut across her collarbone itching, but that was easy to ignore. The pain from her side The healer bit her lower lip as the pain cut through her over and over. Her hand throbbed and she tasted blood as her teeth broke the fragile skin of her lip. Mother, her hand hurt

She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block the noises around her. Somewhere a commotion was being stifled, yet Sally ignored it all as she focused her mind on the throbbing ache in her hand. She felt As if a shield was raising and she raised her pearl white hand, pointing it toward the gloating Queen Lanetta. A gasp went up as a soft orange glow surrounded the healer then slammed forward, knocking the Sadist Queen off her feet. The orange glow began to turn black as if it was rotting and a shrill scream shook the cavern as the Sadists rushed toward their Queen.

Sally's eyes opened and she threw her head back as her skin knitted back together, the cuts healing as quickly as they'd been given. She struggled to her feet and pushed her way through the crowd till she reached the Queen The sight before her shocked her

The once beautiful Queen twitched and convulsed as her skin blackened and cracked at certain areas. Sally kneeled beside the female Sadist, ignoring the hisses behind her and the delicate hands that tried to pull her away.

"Please" Lanetta's warm brown eyes met hers, "Please, help me GODS! HELP!" She clutched her stomach and whimpered. Sally felt tears sting her eyes as she watched the Queen.

"What have I done?"

"Sally, no!" Wufei tried to push his way through the Sadists, but was rewarded with a jab in the side by the blunt end of one of the guards' spears. He snarled at the offending Sadist and grabbed the spear, twisting it out of the guard's hands.

She looked up and watched as the male tried to fight his way to her and shook her head sadly. He didn't understand. All her life she'd been taught all life was precious Taught to save those precious lives and now A low keening started in her throat and she placed her white hand upon the Sadist's forehead. Wufei didn't understand. Healing was who she was. She could not ignore the being before her

And Sally healed.

   *

"Duo, stop." The elf looked up at the sound of his name, his violet pools glittering dangerously. The sorceress met his gaze easily and confusion slid across his expressions. Dorothy looked serene Her nearly ankle-length hair waved about her as if in a gentle breeze and her lips curved into a sad smile. "Release him, Duo."

A part of him wanted to comply to her wishes, yet he couldn't. "This man is mine. I claim him to do with as I please. He is mine!" He barely recognized his own voice; it sounded rough and hoarse, the ranting of a mad man. Duo tightened his grip on Trant's neck and the slave driver kicked weakly as less and less air entered his struggling lungs.

"He is not yours to kill This chaos," one pale hand motioned toward the fighting surrounding them, "is my fault as much as his"

"He enslaved you." The words were more of a desperate cry than a statement, as if the thought of her harmed...

"And my people, I, enslaved you and so many others. He is not to die in such a manner, Duo. Release him." Duo's eyes flickered over her face and he moaned lowly as he threw the slave driver down, turning his head away from the sorceress. Dorothy watched him sadly, her face seemingly not her own as she shook her head once and focused her attention on the slave driver.

Trant forced himself to his knees and took in deep breaths of air as he met her eyes arrogantly. "What? Did you wish to take the honor yourself? One who barely stayed in the pens for three days? How arrogance and revenge can push one that says she will lead these pathetic fools to freedom!" His voice was weak, but the meaning still came through and Dorothy winced.

"You are right. I have no right to exact revenge upon you when my time in your pens was so short. Which is why I am here I come not to exact revenge, but to place judgement." Blue-gray eyes seemed lavender as Dorothy crouched to face him at eye level. Her whispered words were heard only by four, their reactions varying. "By the web's my sister weaves, I will see you face judgement." Duo turned around, his eyes widening into slit pupils, as Trant blanched and fell backwards as he struggled to put as much distance as he could between himself and the sorceress. Nattie raised an eyebrow, pulling at one of her scars, creating a horrifying mask, and the Crone merely nodded as she sat back on her heels.

"The Gods take you! You are dead!"

Dorothy smiled sadly, "In life, I cursed you. In death, I judge you. Through she who I bid to come and fulfill my curse, I want you to know that I'm truly sorry. When I cursed you I did so only for revenge. It is only in death that I realize the true horror of slavery. This must end. I judge you no longer seeking revenge Your crimes are listed in every human that fights among this crowd. I pity the man you are, Trant of Ransik, for the hell that awaits you will be worse than any death on this earth." She slowly stood, raising one hand toward Trant's white forehead. "You are accused of crimes against humanity and the souls of thousands, for thefts against the Cave-dwellers, and for the deaths of hundreds."

Trant hissed, "I killed you!"

"I judge you guilty of all said crimes."

"I killed you!" The slave driver lunged to his feet, his hands outstretched toward her pale neck. Duo snarled and reached out, his illusion falling as poisoned nails slashed at Trant. Dorothy blinked and a wave of air wrapped around the slave driver, holding him in place even as Duo was shoved back by the same invisible wave.

"Guilty of all said crimes." She repeated, "I play judge, not executioner. That is up to she that allows me to speak as so." She turned toward Nattie and the Crone, "I am sorry Mother, I am sorry." Dorothy faced Trant and Duo once more and smiled. "Thank you." Serenity disappeared as lavender eyes appeared blue-gray and Dorothy smirked. "And the executioner comes into play."

   *

Mrow.

Midii glanced down at the sound and met Galea's stern gaze. "What is it? You think I should have gone with her? I'm not in the mood, creature."

Really? Well, neither am I.

Galea flapped her wings, rising into the air, and slashed across the Spy Mistress's hand, her claws cutting into the strips of black ribbon and causing them to flutter to the ground. Midii let out a startled yell and swung at the catriffin even as she kneeled to pick up the pieces. However, Galea had other plans.

The catriffin swooped low and caught the ribbons in her mouth, her colorful wings then carrying her small body down the tunnels. Midii cursed and chased after her, rage painting the Spy Mistress's usually pale face a splotchy red. Her boots slapped against the smooth floor, smoothed by dwarf magicks and hard labor, and she lunged forward, trying to wrap her arms around the flying creature. Galea meowed her strange laughter as she easily twisted out of the way.

Inside her mind, Midii went over what she knew of catriffins. They weren't truly rare creatures, strange considering their parentage, yet most scorned humanity. Galea had been sought after when she'd lived in the court, yet had stubbornly stayed by Sally's side through the years. Her large green wings were obviously from her bird ancestor, but catriffins were also gifted with hollow bones, which kept them light enough to fly with the added weight of their own wings. Her physical body kept the main attributes of her feline line, yet her eyes were a bit too large and rounded and her fur was slick, so air would pass easily over her body. When flying, they usually would pull their legs and paws in, tucking them under their body unless they were hunting and then claws would slip free and strike. Strong, ingenious creatures; they had fought to survive and had succeeded.

And none of this helped the Spy Mistress as she was led down tunnel after tunnel, chasing Galea. Midii was not a stupid woman and she knew that Galea was not exactly an average catriffin if any of the creatures could be called average. It had not taken her long to realize the catriffin had an exact place in mind as she calmly took various cave tunnels.

"The Gods take you! STOP THIS!"

Your orders have no effect on me. I've been commanded to force you to face your shadows.

Light blinded Midii as she stumbled outside, the last tunnel leading outside. The catriffin landed on a nearby dead log and seemed to smile. Whether you want that or not.

Midii cursed as Galea stretched once and the chase began again.

   *

She clutched at her rag doll, watching as men wearing dark armor set fire to the homes around her. The little girl stood in the middle of chaos, unseen as people ran around her, many panicking while others tried to fight off the armed men. She cried as she watched men and women die around her, many of whom she'd known all her short life. She didn't understand what was happening; she couldn't possibly know that she was watching the Moon's men stifle a small rebellion in one of the Dawn's many towns. She couldn't realize that slaves were dividing into those that were joining the Moon's men and those that were trying to save their mistresses. She couldn't realize that her mother already lay dead in the remains of what once had been her home. She was too young to know any of this, so instead she just clung to her doll and wailed.

A large arm wrapped around her tiny waist and she screamed as she was lifted off her feet, dropping her doll in her shock. She kicked and struggled to reach the fallen doll, but her unknown savior ignored her attempts and ran. The male slave carrying her had loved her kind mother and tears slid down his weathered face.  The girl reached out, still crying as she yelled for her doll.

But her cries were just swallowed by the screams of the dying

   *

  The black ribbon threaded around Midii's three middle fingers is the symbol of mourning in the Dawn lands, yet is also widely known in the lands that worship both the Mother and Father. In the Dawn lands, the black symbolizes the death that has caused the mourning, the three fingers it is threaded around are the three perspectives of the Mother (the Girl, the Maiden, and the Crone), the ribbon connects death and the Mother and symbolzies the one lost, showing that she/he has crossed over and is now in the Mother's hands.

In the lands that worship the Father and Mother, the black and ribbon represent the same thing, yet the fingers it is threaded around are different. The middle finger represents humanity, the fingers flanking it symbolize the Mother and the Father. Thus it shows the union between the gods and their creation of humanity or whatever species uses the Mourning Ribbon.

A/N: I am SO sorry this took so long to get out. I just hope it was worth the wait. Thank you for sticking with me and I promise the next chapters will be out much sooner! Thanks again! And ciao!--Figgy

*^_^*