Disclaimer: Blah, blah, blah--I do not own the Gundam Wing characters, but do own the idea of this story ^_^

Dawn and Moon Wars

Chapter Five

 

"Two days, my Moon." Wufei placed a hand on the hilt of his sword and watched as Millardo turned away from him, his eyes on a distant object.

"Has the Panther made any moves?"

"He merely watches her as if waiting for the right time. He knows we know." Wufei frowned slightly; "He sent a message to one of my men stating that if we did not interfere in his plans then he would leave us be."

"And if we do?" Millardo took a step toward the object of his yearning gaze.

"Everyone knows the Panther's reputation."

"Too bad he wouldn't join us. He's a free man, after all."

Wufei shifted his weight to his other foot, "They say that he's not truly human, but centuries ago two bondlings changed him from his original form and into that of a man. Because of that he neither cares for either gender."

"I've heard the stories, Wufei."

"Shall I prepare the men?"

"Yes... Prepare today, move tomorrow."

"I still don't see the wisdom in attacking on the coronation. What if something goes wrong and she's crowned? I say we should attack now, while there's time."

"It must be the day of the coronation. The webs say so."

Wufei muttered, "I've never trusted the webs as you, Millardo."

"You should, my friend. You should."

He grunted and started to turn away when he finally saw the object of Millardo's yearning eyes... 'The Dawn's Court? You need to put aside your feelings or you'll get us all killed.'

      *

"Finally." A Driver gave a weary smile as they rolled into the capital. "It's good to be home." She smiled at the woman riding beside her and got an answering smile.

"You can say that again." The other Driver motioned for the caravan to follow her through the castle gates. "Soon the Star will become the Dawn. Have you seen her?"

"Yes... As beautiful as the Mother herself and she radiates calm peacefulness. She will make a grand Dawn."

Quatre sighed and tried to ignore the two Drivers. 'They call this home... Just another prison for us.' As they neared the castle he peeked through the canvas and paled as he saw a young man walking with a noble lady. 'Maybe I should be more grateful... At least I'm not a pleasure slave. Thank the Mother that I have a talent for the lute or else I could be just like him... A mere bauble for some rich lady, used the way she wants... The stories...' He shuddered and leaned back, catching Trowa's concerned gaze. 'Ever since that attack he's been worried.' Quatre frowned, 'What exactly happened that day? I feel... Strange... Yet...' He smiled slightly, 'I feel like anything is suddenly possible and it's because of her... Her. Lilacs; she smelled like lilacs...'

In a way Quatre was worried about the way he felt about the mystery singer... It bordered on the thin line of obsession, yet something in him screamed for her. To just smell that scent of lilacs...

"Quatre..."

Trowa's voice pulled him from his thoughts and he smiled at his friend. "Yes?"

"Time to move. They want us washed and ready for a night performance." Trowa jumped down from the wagon, ignoring the admiring looks from the Drivers. Quatre slowly followed his friend's process and saw that not only were the Drivers watching, but a few noble ladies had stopped and were examining them with curiosity. Quatre sighed heavily as a young female stopped walking across the courtyard to stare at him with wide eyes... Then blinked as an older woman yelled at the staring girl.

"SALLY!"

"Ack!" Sally jumped and bolted after the Master Healer.

"Move!" A Driver poked him and he started walking.

"Hey, don't bruise the pretty pale skin." Another Driver snickered, "After all, if the ladies don't care for his music, there's always other ways he could entertain them."

Quatre tried to ignore the laughing, but his ears burned from embarrassment and anger. And a tinge of fear... Because the Driver was correct. If his music wasn't enough then they could... He tried to control the wild beating of his frantic heart. But the thoughts wouldn't leave him and he washed and dressed in a sort of daze.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine..." Quatre forced a smile, "Don't worry, Trowa."

Trowa raised an eyebrow; "Maybe you should ask to see a healer."

Quatre snorted, "Do you really believe they'd listen to me? A lowly slave?"

The acrobat was silent for a long time as he placed his white mask on, covering half of his tan handsome face. "You're not a lowly slave... You're a noble slave and a talented musician. They'd listen to you... Nobles, no matter what gender, are always above us commoners."

"Trowa..."

"It's time." Trowa walked out of the room and Quatre peeked from behind the tapestry to watch as Trowa entered the clearing. The room was a large, round circle that held the Dawn and the closest members of her court, including the Morning Star, the Dawn's Advisor, the Star's Advisor, the Captain of the Swords, and the Galaxy Court's representative. It took him awhile to realize another woman also stood in the room, but she hid in the shadows and he couldn't place her. The Dawn and the Star sat in the center, their advisors sitting on either side of their queens, while the Captain stood behind the Dawn. The representative sat between the Dawn and the Star.

He noticed that only the Morning Star looked eager as Trowa approached. The girl beside her smiled at the Star's reaction, then turned calculating eyes toward the acrobat. Quatre could feel his lip turn up and nose wrinkle as the other women seemed to ignore Trowa as he started his act.

It was a complicated act and Quatre growled as the women continued to ignore Trowa... Then stopped as the Dawn stood and walked forward.

"You have a great talent and wonderful grace." The Dawn told Trowa solemnly. "I cannot see how your last Lady dared to part with you."

Trowa kneeled, "You honor me too much, great Dawn."

"Rise, young one." It was with surprising tenderness that the Dawn watched Trowa walk away. "Such an honorable boy, so like..." Her voice trailed off and she sat down.

"Go bard."

Quatre hugged his lute and walked out... Before he could even sit to play the Star's Advisor stood and curtsied. "I'm sorry, my Dawn, my Star, but I'm suddenly feeling very ill..." She avoided her mother's gaze. "Please excuse me." Dorothy quickly left the room and the Star watched her retreat with worry.

He didn't notice that the figure in the shadows also left.

"You can play now, bard." The Dawn, however, was focused on her Advisor.

Quatre nodded and slowly began to play a light, soothing tune that flowed through the air. The Morning Star began to smile as she listened and even began to hum along after awhile. He finished quickly and bowed. He would've made a hasty exit if the Dawn's Advisor hadn't stopped him.

"You play quite well, bard. You are of noble birth, yes?"

Quatre kept his eyes focused on the ground. "Yes, milady."

"How old are you, bard?"

"Leona!" The Dawn's voice hinted at anger as she called her Advisor's name. "This is neither the time or place to be thinking of your daughter's contract." She turned toward Quatre. "You do play very well and I enjoyed it thoroughly."

Slowly she stood, as did the Morning Star. Relena's face was deathly pale as she left with her mother. Quatre shakily returned to the room he'd be sharing with Trowa and three other slaves. He understood now why the Star's Advisor had left and he knew what the Dawn's Advisor's questions meant. A contract stating that the girl was at bearing age and should choose a sire had been drawn up... And her mother had thought him a candidate.

He growled as he carefully lowered his lute. 'I tire of this life, of this slavery. I'm not some horse that's used for breeding! I'm a human...' Quatre took in a deep breath... And froze.

Because the air... The air smelled like lilacs.

      *

"SALLY!"

"Ack!" Sally ran after the Master Healer, cursing herself for acting so idiotic. 'Just stood there gawking! But he was so pale... I've never seen a slave so pale. Probably a noble slave, but he carried a lute... So not a pleasure slave.' She sighed and gave up thinking about the strange new slave and instead focused on following the Master Healer to the fighting ring.

Near the edge of the ring a young woman sat calmly waiting for them to arrive. She smiled as the Master Healer kneeled beside her. "Now, how did this happen?"

Hilde grinned, "I did it."

The Master Healer glanced upward from the deep cut on Hilde's arm and stared at the girl... Before realization dawned in her eyes. "The blood warrior, I presume?"

"Yes. I didn't mean to make it so deep, though." Hilde sighed, "The knife slipped..."

"Uh, huh. Well, I'll need to run and get some balm. So wait here and stay calm." The Master Healer stood, but Sally stopped her.

"Couldn't I run and get it?"

The Master Healer frowned, "After the last stunt you pulled, giving that slave our most expensive medicines, I'm not sure I'd trust you to bring back a roll of bandages." With that she hurried off, leaving Sally to sulk.

"He was in pain..." She muttered.

"Who was?"

Sally jumped, nearly forgetting all about the strange blood warrior girl. "No one, just a slave I tended a few days ago."

Hilde nodded, "Oh. Is he better now?"

The healer apprentice smiled, "Completely! You should hear him talk! He rattles on and on about the silliest things."

"Really? Sounds interesting." Hilde looked out, watching as the gladiators fought in front of them. "What's your name?"

"I'm Sally, the Master Healer's apprentice... I think I'll forever be her apprentice since it doesn't seem likely she'll be presenting me before the Dawn anytime soon."

"My name's Hilde... And maybe she'll present you to the Reborn Dawn."

"Maybe... Have you met her?"

"Met who?"

Sally fidgeted slightly, "The Star..."

"Yes..." Now Hilde fidgeted, "She's very nice and intelligent... Yet, very... Human."

"I know. I met her once before, too. I didn't say much though because... Well I was too much in awe to do anything more than squeak." They both laughed and Sally grinned at Hilde.

"Here it is!" The Master Healer appeared and Sally moved to help when a loud bell sounded over the grounds. "Practice fight for the slaves." She mumbled as she applied the balm.

Sally suddenly dropped the bandages she was holding. "Practice fight... Oh!" She ran, ignoring the Master Healer's yells for her to come back. Sally only had one thing on mind. 'Duo...'

      *

"Come on slave! Prove yourself." A Driver shoved Duo into the practice ring and he snarled at the woman.

"Push me again and I'll---."

"DUO!"

He looked up at the risers and saw Sally pushing through the few onlookers. Duo forced a grin and waved at her. "Don't worry, I'll be fine!"

"But Duo--."

"Don't worry!" He sauntered into the ring and Sally watched with worry as he faced his opponent.

"Aw, how sweet. The Master Healer's apprentice has finally found a sire." The Driver taunted and Sally's face turned red.

"Say that to my face, you ox!"

"OX?!"

Sally smirked, "Oh, sorry, that was very insulting to the ox, now wasn't it?"

Duo chuckled as he listened to the two women exchange insults. The bell rang a second time and he flashed a quick apologetic smile before shoving his fist into the other man's stomach. He jumped out of the way of the man's fists and punched him in the nose. The man got in a lucky shot and Duo winced as a fist sank into his gullet.

"Ow..."

Duo shot out, tackling the other man to the ground, and landed a quick blow to the man's temple. He stood and brushed the dirt off his pants and saluted Sally who smiled in relief, ending her argument with the Driver.

"Are you all right?" Sally asked once she was by his side.

Duo nodded, "Fine. He only got me in the stomach. Why are you down here, Sally?"

She blushed, "I didn't want you to get hurt... And..." Sally lowered her voice to a whisper, "I've started to trust you and," she swallowed, "care for you. Please, don't tell! They might consider it treason... or they might think that..." She couldn't finish, but Duo grinned.

"That you might want me to be a sire for ya? Thanks, Sally, and I understand. I care for you too." The two continued walking, not noticing the figure in the shadows.

Midii watched the two with concern and wonder in her eyes. 'The apprentice... She holds strong elemental magicks and he's one of the Evening Star's men... Could he have convinced her to bond? They're so close. There must be a reason for their sudden closeness... And I will find it.'

 

      *

 

'Could she be more obvious?!' Dorothy stormed down the castle halls, making her way toward the fighting ring to watch the practices. 'Why is it so important that I bear a child so soon?! WHY?! If she knew... If she only knew the reason I wish to wait, then she wouldn't push it so much. First the acrobat, then that bard... Mother, I feel like a mare ready for breeding!'

She pushed past two surprised guards and slowly made her way down the risers. Once she reached the bar that blocked those sitting from the actual ring, Dorothy hiked up her skirt and climbed over it, ignoring the ladies' surprised gasps around her. She glared at them, "Leave me be and go find one of your pretty boys."

Dorothy snickered as they gasped again and a few bolted off... Then she sighed and cursed her actions. It was rare that she let her anger get the better of her. Now she'd have to find each and every one of those ladies and apologize. She let out a low string of curses and nearly bumped into someone. "Sorry." She looked up into the most startling pair of violet eyes.

"I apologize, milady." The slave bowed and the girl next to him lightly hit him.

"Don't get smart with her!" The girl curtsied and Dorothy tried to smile at her. "Good day, Advisor. You are feeling better, I hope."

"I'm feeling fine, thanks for asking." Dorothy's forehead wrinkled, "Do I know you? You look familiar..."

"My name is Sally, the Master Healer's apprentice. I helped her nurse you when you were ill, but you were unconscious the entire time... You've probably just seen me around the ring." Sally raised from her curtsy and eyed the woman in front of her. 'She looks much better than she did that day...' She gave an envious mental sigh, 'Only a lady could have hair like that... All the way to her ankles and not a tangle in sight.'

"Call me Dorothy and I suppose you must be right..." Dorothy turned, surveying the ring, her eyes pausing to watch as two slaves circled each other. "I come here often..."

"Do you enjoy the fights, milady?"

Dorothy jerked and turned sharp eyes toward the violet-eyed slave. 'Was that scorn in his voice?' Her eyes narrowed, "I enjoy watching the Warriors fight, but I never come to the other fights... I see no purpose in the deaths of those slaves."

"I thought the purpose was to entertain."

She raised an eyebrow, "It entertains some, but I enjoy fighting that has emotion in it, a lively passion. The fighting between the slaves is motivated by only one thing; fear." She sighed, "But few share my opinions... I suppose, in a sense, by watching a slave die at the hands of another male-." Her eyes widened and she suddenly stopped in mid-sentence.

"Are you all right, Advi-Dorothy?" Sally helped support the trembling Advisor as Dorothy's legs almost gave out from under her.

"Fine... Fine..." But Dorothy's eyes were on Duo and he gazed right back at her. 'He's a gladiator... He could die tomorrow, even today... My son... What if my son...' "I think I just tried doing too much too soon..."

"Oh. Well, let us help you to a bench." Sally motioned for Duo to help her and slowly the three made their way to a wooden bench.

Dorothy sat down and stared at her feet. 'What am I to do? I used to not have problems with controlling my emotions from showing... But this is different. A few polite, well-worded speeches aren't going to fix this problem...'

'So this is the Star's Advisor... Not what I expected, well not completely... What made her lose control just then? Maybe it's the bondling link...' He glanced around sharply, 'I have to escape from this place... This was only to be a test and now... I have to go home.' Duo sighed and turned his attention back toward the two women. 'Before these women drive me insane...'

      *

Relena stood on her balcony, staring at the country that spread out before her. "It's so beautiful..." She sighed and leaned on the railing, her eyes drifting to the sky now. "So wonderful..."

Mrow.

Flap. Flap. Flap.

Relena blinked as she stared at the creature flying before her. Then she started to giggle as Galea landed on the railing and meowed again. "Galea! What are you doing up here?!" Galea was well-known by all of the castle's occupants and some joked that the catriffin was the court's mascot. She was fed and loved and cared for by all, including the Star.

The Star ran a hand over the cat's smooth fur, scratching where the wings connected to the body. Galea purred and Relena giggled again. "You're sweet, Galea." She sighed and continued to pet as she watched the stars above.         "Why can't more people be like you?" The catriffin meowed and Relena smiled slightly. "I'm sorry... It's just my coronation is after tomorrow and... I'm so scared. What if I hurt the people? I couldn't stand to see them in pain because of me..."

"I wish Dorothy was here for me to talk to, but she keeps running away... I think it's mainly because of her mother and the contract of birthing. I feel sorry for her, but I'm also worried... If she is to bear soon then so must I. And that scares me, too."

Galea's purring became louder, but her large eyes weren't focused on Relena... But on a figure that hid in the darkest shadows, a figure of pure grace and danger. "I wish I was more like you, Galea... You always seem to be content. Cats are graceful, confident, intelligent, and beautiful... And I'm," Relena heaved a heavy sigh, "me..."

Galea meowed and nipped Relena's hand playfully, then spread her wings and leaped into the air. Relena watched her fly for a second before walking into her room. The catriffin circled once, twice, then landed on the man's shoulder. Galea meowed and the man smiled a small smile. He nodded and turned from the balcony. Galea pushed off his shoulder and flew into the sky once more while he disappeared.

      *

"You can no longer find him?" Millardo questioned as Wufei stood before him. His second-in-command nodded stiffly, one hand on the hilt of his beloved sword.

"The Panther has disappeared and cannot be found. He seems to have decided to leave the Star alone. We no longer have to worry about him."

"Maybe... or maybe not..." The Moon swirled a cup of Star-bright, a strong ale, and took a large swallow of it. "Doesn't truly matter. We move tomorrow and then... Soon the capital will be ours and I'll show them... She shouldn't have banished me, Wufei. Her own son, she banished her own flesh and blood just because I'm male..." His eyes narrowed, "My sister will not be crowned..."

"Yes, my Moon."

"You remember my orders concerning the Star?"

"Yes." Wufei watched as Millardo took another swallow of the Star-bright. "If possible she is to be found and captured, not harmed, but if worst comes to worst her crowning is to be stopped by any means possible."

"Relena..." Millardo sighed, "I don't hate you, Relena... Sweet Relena..." He stared into his cup, "I remember holding you... Before I was banished to the woods... banished because a male royal child couldn't be seen any longer now that a girl had been born..."

Wufei nodded and quietly left Millardo, walking through the small manor. The manor was wrapped in protective elemental spells that hid the free men from the prying eyes of the women. Wufei walked outside and breathed in the scent of flowers and earth and trees. He leaned against a tree and forced himself to entertain the idea.

'Is Millardo mad? His main reason for doing this is revenge, to take back the throne he believes is rightly his... That's not the right reason... And he's become so obsessed. The way he watches the moon and Dawn's castle worries me... During battle will he be able to keep a cool head and give out the right orders or will someone be forced to silent the ravings of a mad man? And will that someone have to be his closest officer... His second-in-command...' Wufei sighed and tried to meditate.

Above Millardo watched as his second-in-command leaned against the tree. 'Wufei... Will he follow me through this all? He already questions some of my commands and the prophecy... The prophecy speaks of the wielder of the Sword of Truth coming to the Reborn Dawn... But does the wielder come to kill her or to help her? Can I continue to trust you, Wufei? Or will I be forced to...' His thoughts drifted as he turned his gaze toward that of the glowing moon.

      *