Disclaimer: Don't own the Gundam gang

Dawn and Moon Wars

Chapter Six

 

Quatre watched as the sun slowly rose and the chilly air began to warm from its beams. He blinked and lowered his hands to his lute and began to play a slow, mournful tune that echoed through the empty risers. He had escaped from his bunk to come out here... The guards had seen him and he knew they were continually watching him to make sure he didn't try anything. But Quatre hadn't come out here for trouble... He just needed to think and...

'Lilacs... Could she truly be here? How do I find her?' He played hoping she'd somehow hear and show herself. He had to see her, to meet her... He had to know who she was.

Two people, however, heard his music. In her room, Dorothy sat straight up and rubbed at her ears as the song haunted her while Duo groaned and climbed out of his rough cot and managed to reach the fighting ring. Duo looked up the commoners' risers and spotted the blond boy bent over his instrument.

"Oy, there! A bit early isn't it?" Duo kept his voice and expression friendly as he jumped over the bar and climbed toward the musician.

"Did I wake you?" Quatre stopped playing and Dorothy heaved a sigh of relief as the song faded. The blond boy smiled at the braided slave. "I'm sorry."

"No worries, I needed to wake any ways." Duo glanced toward the sunrise and placed his hands behind his back. "Such sad music for such a beautiful sight."

Quatre frowned, "It reminds me of those that imprison us. The dawn isn't a beautiful thing. It's cruel and its heat burns."

"But it is a beautiful. Yet deadly too. You can't ignore its beauty because your feelings are bitter and hateful." Duo sighed, "Too many try that route and it never works. So, bard, are you new or old here?"

"New... Very new..." He sighed and ran a finger over the lute's strings, the sound vibrated through the air and seemed to dance on the wind...

Duo glanced sharply at the boy, then at the lute. "Mind playing that chord again?"

Quatre paled and turned toward him. "Why?"

The smile that greeted him was that of a predator cornering his prey. "It reminds me of something." Duo looked away and added nonchalantly, "Reminds me of the wind... with a hint of earth beneath..."

The bard paled even more, "Does it?"

"Most certainly does." Duo yawned and stretched, "So... Tell me, do you prefer bard or," Duo turned toward him and his smile widened showing a hint of teeth, "mage?"

Quatre jumped to his feet; "I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about! Mages don't exist!"

"Oh, but they do... Don't try to hide it from---." Duo's eyes widened, "You! You're the one she's bonded with!"

Before Duo could react Quatre had a hold of his arms. "You know her?! Who is she?! Tell me!" His eyes were feverish as they bored into Duo's violet ones. "I have to meet her! Tell me!"

Duo shoved him away and his eyes narrowed, "You're a Possessed Bondling!" He started to back away as Quatre stood and walked toward him.

"A what?"

Duo frowned, "Possessed... You've grown obsessed by her psychic scent and power..."

"So? Who cares about such trivial details?" Quatre waved a hand through the air, "I need to meet her, see her." His blue eyes narrowed, "And you know who she is. Tell me!"

"NO! You could kill her or worse!" Duo searched for some sort of weapon, but the risers were empty... Except...

Quatre lunged, "I NEED HER!"

Duo dodged and jumped up a seat, then behind Quatre. His hands gripped his one weapon and he brandished the lute like a sword. "Stay away from me." Duo knew how Possessed Bondlings could become... Or at least knew the stories about them. A Possessed Bondling captivated by their other half's psychic scent had once torn a man apart with his bare hands...

Quatre stopped, but watched Duo warily. "You can't do this to me. You know... I have to know. You have to tell me who she is, where she is." He licked his dry lips; "I'm giving you to the count of five... One. Two. Three--."

Duo swung the lute and it connected with Quatre's head. The wood cracked and Duo dropped the broken instrument as Quatre slumped to the ground. Duo checked him and nodded when he noticed that the bard only had a bruise on his head. He glanced down at the lute and stared, as wisps of colored wind seemed to float from it and disappear into the unconscious bard.

'So that's why I sensed it only when he played... He hid his powers in his lute... And now that it's broken...' Duo cursed as he saw a guard enter the ring. He ducked and ran from the scene. 'I can't be caught here! The bard will be all right, but if he finds her...' His eyes narrowed, 'He can't. He just can't.'

      *

Midii walked into the silent room, ignoring the concerned looks coming from the Master Healer. She approached the bed with its still figure and once she was five feet from the unconscious figure she stopped. "He's strong... How did he pass through all the tests?"

The Master Healer moved away from the sleeping bard, "He hid it inside his lute. He got into a fight with a fellow, mystery slave and his instrument was broken during the brawl... It released his powers into him. His psychic strength is almost unbelievable."

Midii eyed the sleeping boy and finally nodded. "Good timing. He's too strong for his powers to be removed..."

"He will be the sacrifice?"

Midii glanced sharply at the Healer, holding her in place with her cold gaze. "Yes, but hold your tongue, Healer."

The Master Healer nodded, "I know my place, Spy Mistress."

Quatre moaned slightly and Midii frowned. "Tomorrow... Keep him well till tomorrow, Healer." Midii turned and left the room.

      *

"They move..." Midii announced to the two solemn faced women. "They march toward the battlements and will be here by early morn tomorrow, during the eclipse."

"Thank you..." The Dawn was so tired and Noin sent her a worried look as she noticed the way the Dawn lowered into a chair slowly and with a heavy sigh. "It begins tomorrow. You two must watch over my daughter."

"Everything will go as planned, my Dawn." Noin tried to reassure her, but the Dawn shook her head.

"Nothing ever goes as totally planned, Captain..."

The three women turned toward the window and waited... Waited for the eclipse to begin... And for a war to start...

      *

Duo sighed as he listened to the sounds of men sleeping around him.

"I NEED HER!"

'Poor guy...' He shook his head, trying to get the bard's words out of his head.

"You know her?! Who is she?! Tell me!"

Duo winced. 'It's not really his fault... Her psychic scent must be powerful enough to induce lust and their link has caused it too multiply into this... And now he's been found because of me. Damn it! Damn honor, damn conscience, damn bard with his damn link! Duo sat up and tiptoed out of the room.

It wasn't hard for him to sneak out of the barracks and across the ring. However it was a different thing when he reached the actual castle. He grumbled, then suddenly jerked as he looked up. Slowly... So very slowly darkness was falling on the earth as the earth's position caused the moon to block the sun. He cursed and dodged into the shadows as a pair of guards marched by.

'The eclipse... Well, at least this way I won't be seen... Now... Where is he?' Duo continued to curse his conscience for causing him to feel guilty about the bard's fate as he sneaked into the castle.

He paused in his search as voices reached his ears.

"I'm so nervous, Dorothy." Relena fidgeted as Dorothy pulled and fixed her long, simple white dress. Dorothy's own dress was similar except it was silver.

"So am I, but we'll be great! We'll show them, me and you, Relena." She smiled, "Come on. We can't be late for this."

They entered the hall and Relena's narrowed her eyes, trying to see through the darkness. "It's so dark!"

"Just let your eyes get use to it." Noin commanded as she and Hilde led the two toward the ceremony room.    Duo didn't have to squint to see the Star and her Advisor, their dresses made them shine. He pressed against the wall as they passed... His heart stopped beating as the younger Sword paused near him... Then she continued walking and he began to breathe again.

Duo turned a corner and silently hummed inside his head as he dodged guards and nobles. It didn't occur to him till he was at the door of the dungeon that he had no idea how to get Quatre out of the castle. He sighed and cursed himself for never planning thoroughly. Then he winced as he realized a way, but it would reveal his own powers to the mage.

'Maybe I owe him that... But what about the Star's Advisor?' He mentally groaned, 'Seems there's no easy way out in this... I'll set him free and we'll get out of here... I was already planning on escaping during the eclipse... I just forgot that it came so soon during the day...'

Duo placed a hand an inch above the heavy wooden door's lock and focused... He grumbled softly as the hot metal melted and dripped to the ground, instantly cooling. Duo softly pushed the door open, thanking the Gods that it didn't creak, and walked inside...

"Bard? Psst! Bard!" He slowly walked down the aisle, looking inside each cell closely... And came to a startling conclusion. "He's gone... Did he escape on his own?" Duo stood there for a second, stunned... Then his violet eyes widened, "The Advisor!" He bolted from the room, praying that he found the Star's Advisor before the bard did.

      *

Walking through the ceremony doors was one of the hardest things Relena ever forced herself to do. It still scared her... The idea that soon she'd be responsible for so many people, plus the prophecy... But another part of her knew she'd been born for this and taught for so many years how to rule fairly. And Relena knew that she had too. The land needed her and so did the people. For generations, ever since the Mother, her family had ruled just as Dorothy's family had always been their advisors. They had to do this.

Relena's eyes darted around the large antechamber. The edges of the room were deep in shadows and the only light came from a strange brilliance in the middle... Where a figure wore a mask shaped as the sun first rising and stood in the middle of a beautiful painting of the sun. The Dawn raising a hand and motioned for Relena to come forward. Dorothy followed the Star, staying a foot behind.

Relena's legs trembled as she waited for the Dawn to speak. She wished she could see Dorothy and borrow some of the other girl's strength... But she knew, deep down, that Dorothy was probably trembling as bad as she.

"You come to take the throne of the Dawn, she whom the Mother gifted with the right to rule?"

The Star swallowed. This masked figure wasn't her elegant, yet kind mother. This was a stranger and Relena suddenly felt very alone... She remembered the prophecy and the war it promised and her blood chilled... But she had to accept this, for her people.

"I do." The Star met the Dawn's gaze and spoke forcefully. "I will protect the people with all I have, even my very life, and Mother help any who tries to stop me." Relena blushed slightly, praying she hadn't said the wrong thing... But the Dawn was nodding.

"So be it. Come forth, Advisor."

Dorothy stepped forward, her ankle length hair swishing softly behind her, reminding Relena of moonbeams. The Star's Advisor swallowed a gasp as a shining silver masked figure joined the Dawn. The new figure held a long box, just a plain wooden box, but she held it with great importance.

"An advisor is forever bonded with her Dawn. The Dawn can never fear betrayal from her advisor. An advisor dies and lives for her Dawn. Remember."

Dorothy recognized her mother's cold voice and her eyes hardened. "I understand. Loyalty always for my Dawn."

      *

Midii's eyes easily adjusted to the darkness as she walked toward the Master Healer's apprentice's room that adjoined the Healer's main house. She knocked on the door and Sally opened it with a surprised expression. "Hello, may I help you?"

"I'm here to speak to a Miss Sally."

"That's me... Who are you?" Sally kept a hand on the door, ready to slam it close if she must.

"The Dawn's Spy Mistress."

"Oh!" Sally opened the door and ushered Midii into the small space. She stumbled through the dark house, pulling out cups.

"No need." Midii told her softly and Sally turned toward her. "I want to know what your relationship with the slave gladiator is."

The apprentice's eyes darted to the table and she slowly poured herself a cup of boiling water and dropped a few herb leaves into it. "There are lots of slave gladiators."

"Tell me if this refreshes your mind." Midii smiled coldly, "Tan, broad-shouldered, violet eyes, strong arms and legs, chestnut brown hair that he always wears in a braid... He tries to convince people to call him Duo. Ring a bell?"

"Oh... Duo..." She stared at the floating leaves and sighed. "Yes, I know him... We just talk. I bandaged his wounds when he first came here and ever since he's somehow found me. I find him interesting because of him once being a freeman... Am I in trouble?"

The only magical talent Midii possessed was the ability to see the truth in people's words... Which was why she had the position she did... And she knew this girl was telling the truth...And that scared her. 'If this girl isn't the bondling, then who?'

"May I ask why this is so important? How did you even notice us?" Sally blinked and her mouth opened, "The Star's Advisor! She talked a bit with me and Duo. Did she tell you?" The apprentice sighed, "Whatever she told you... It could've been a hallucination. It's natural after the attack she suffered."

"No... Dorothy didn't mention you and the slave..." Midii searched her mind... She had to find the bondlings before they got to the Dawn and another prophecy came true. The girl's words... Something about them nagged her...

"Oh... Then... Why?"

"Magical attack..."

"What?" Sally watched her with confusion as the Spy Mistress suddenly leapt to her feet and advanced toward her.

"The Star's Advisor! When you first came to her, how was she acting?!"

"The Master Healer already told you!" Sally backed away.

"But what did you see?!"

Sally shook her head, "Nothing... I saw the Star's Advisor ill because of a magical backlash." She blushed, "And..."

"And?" Midii pushed.

"She almost seemed to shine... But it was just the light playing tricks on me! I know that!" Sally shifted, "I must sound awfully foolish."

"No... The day, the timing... Why didn't I see it?" Midii paled and shook her head... She knew why... "I didn't want to see it... The Dawn!" The Spy Mistress rushed from the room and Sally stared after her in shock.

Mrow!

"Galea!" Sally shouted as the catriffin sped past her and into the darkness.

      *

Leona slowly opened the wooden box, revealing a dagger for them all to see. Dorothy raised an eyebrow at the strange talisman. The hilt was plain medal, but the blade... The blade was clear like glass with streaks of red flowing through it... Like blood.

"This is the blood dagger. A talisman of great power that lusts for the life force in mankind, blood. It was forged in the blood of the legendary blood warriors and has been used since the Mother for the Rebirth of the Dawn. Only it can be used during this sacred ceremony. Take it and become the Dawn's Advisor."

The glow in the middle of the room slowly traveled outward and the two young women both jerked in surprise to see a young man strapped to a wooden table, his eyes wide in fear and confusion.

"Here lies the Star's bonded-to-be. By drinking his life force she will link with him and his powers. Then his life shall be extinguished and the Reborn Dawn will hold both male and female powers in her one form."

Relena's eyes widened, as did Dorothy's, and they couldn't pull their eyes off of the struggling blond man. Relena recognized the slave bard and started to tremble. "I-I can't..."

The Dawn took Relena by the arm and positioned her in the middle of the painted sun. She raised a hand and smudged a line of golden paint across Relena's cheeks. She began to speak in a low voice and Relena felt magic form around her, wisps of it clinging like a second skin.

"You won't. A Dawn or Star cannot kill or the blood rage will be invoked." Relena's mother spoke softly as if fearful she'd scare them.

"It is I who kills..." Dorothy whispered, "For loyalty..." Each step felt like her feet were weighed down with lead... It seemed days passed before she reached the male and stared down at him. She stared down into blue eyes and felt a shock run straight through her. 'Same eyes... as my baby...'

'Lilacs...' Quatre stopped struggling and just stared up at her with fevered eyes. Eyes that drank in her every little feature.

"Oh, Mother... It's you..." Dorothy's hand moved slowly and she removed the gag in Quatre's mouth and he smiled at her.

"You..." His single word was like a caress that burned through her and Dorothy moaned, tossing her head slightly as emotions roared inside her. His emotions... She could feel his emotions... And they were so strong...

"Dorothy!"

It was then that Dorothy felt it. A tug... A pull... A yank... Her eyes left his and she stared at the dagger in her hand. It shined and glowed with a reddish sheen... And it hurt... Oh, it hurt so much. It called for blood. It yelled and screamed and the dagger's need pounded at her head. It would have blood and her hand moved on its own accord toward the man that was her bonded.

"No..." Dorothy struggled with the dagger and heard something... A melodious voice that whispered inside her head.

"I have waited an eternity to be with you."

His voice... Him... With her... His emotions... Their link...

"I can't!" Dorothy's voice broke as she shouted, sobbing as she tried to resist the dagger's need for blood.

"Do not betray your Dawn!" Her mother shouted, but Dorothy ignored her as she sobbed. The blonde's shoulders shook as she cried.

The Dawn turned from where her daughter now glowed with a golden radiance and advanced toward the crying Dorothy. "Dorothy, calm yourself and-."

The Dawn never had a chance to finish as Dorothy lost control of the dagger's hunger and it plunged into the Dawn. A sickening silence descended as Dorothy stared with shocked eyes at her once Queen. "No... No! NO!" She pulled the dagger free, watching in horror as the blood covering the blade was absorbed... And still it hungered.

The Dawn trembled, one hand lowering to her stomach, trying to stop the blood from flowing. She blinked wide eyes at Dorothy before falling to the ground.

"NO!" Dorothy's hand trembled as the dagger sought out more blood. She lowered it and slashed it across her own skin, allowing it to feed on her own blood. 'Anything to staunch its hunger...' Then it happened. Something flashed across her vision, then all she could see was blood... Sticky, red blood... Then it was over... And she realized the dagger's hunger had finally ended... For now...

But something else hit her... The dagger... Her blood... Her blood filled the dagger's once clear blade... 'I've tied my very soul to it... Bonded... Bonded to a dagger that seeks out death and a mage that has brought the end of my world.'

Dorothy fell to the ground and screamed.

      *

"Strange how I don't feel a bit different..." A guard spoke to another, her eyes trying to pierce the darkness with no luck.

"Yeah... I wonder if the Reborn Dawn will try anything different... They almost always pass one new law just so they can get the feel of ruling." The other guard yawned, then stiffened. "Did you hear that?"

Her friend stretched and raised eyebrow, "Hear what? It's like a graveyard out here!"

The guard's eyes narrowed, "Then it's a graveyard with the undead... I heard something." She pointed off into the shadows, "Over there."

"Oh, come off it. Nothing ever comes by the wall during the eclipse... We have the most boring job of all... Watch the gate and let merchants and Drivers in." She yawned to show her boredom.

"I heard something!" The other guard hissed, "I'm going to check it out." She wandered off while the other one just shrugged and began to hum a cheerful tune...

Minutes passed and the other guard didn't return...

"Kaliry?" The guard slowly walked toward the shadows, her sword now drawn. "Kaliry?" Her foot hit something and she stared down... The moon was beginning to move and beams of sunlight were beginning to drift down... And she could clearly see her friend staring up at her with glazed, unseeing eyes.

"Sweet dreams." A voice whispered in her ear before she fell... Lying in a pool of blood next to the dead Kaliry.

"Wufei, take the men and attack. Try only to harm the soldiers and warriors, leave the peasants alone." Millardo ordered, his eyes on the castle in front of him and his troops.

"And where will you be?" Wufei unsheathed his sword, his mind on the bloodshed that was about to happen.

"I'll be stopping the Star from being Reborn."

Wufei saluted, "Good luck."

Millardo's smile was feral, "Luck has nothing to do with it." He sped off and Wufei turned toward the men.

He yelled out only one word... That spelled the end of the Dawn's capital.

"CHARGE!"

      *

Relena wanted to scream as the golden radiance threatened to blind her. Everything had gone wrong, so horribly wrong. Dorothy had killed her mother... And now she was only half way through the coronation... Without the male's powers how could she complete this and live?

'Mother, above... Please help me. Please help one of your daughters.' She whimpered in pain, 'Please, for my people I must be strong!'

That's when it struck her. The eclipse ended and above, through a tiny window, a beam of sunlight slammed into her. And it filled her... Feminine elemental magicks swirled inside her, filling her to the point of shattering... Then the light faded and Relena fell to her knees.

She was the Reborn Dawn, but unlike any Dawn known before her... For she was pure feminine power... Relena's eyes fell on her mother and her body shook convulsively as she cried.

Mrow!

Galea sped into the room, her wings flattened against her small body. She skidded to a stop next to the weak, sobbing Relena.

Mrow!

A figure calmly walked into the room, his eyes focused on the catriffin. Galea seemed to glare at him till he snorted and picked up Relena. She struggled for a second before he waved a vial under her nose and she fell into a deep slumber. He nodded and walked out of the room, out of the castle, and he didn't even glance back once.

      *

Leona watched as her daughter cried next to the lifeless body of her once Dawn. 'My own daughter... A traitor...' And as an advisor, Leona knew that a quick death would be nothing compared to the guilt Dorothy would live with... If she lived... 'Sorry, my daughter... I do love you.' Leona stood tall and proud, her eyes hard as she formed a ball of lightning in her hands.

Quatre saw from where he laid and his eyes narrowed. "NO!" He unleashed raw power and the restraints holding him snapped and the bard jumped to his feet. His eyes met Leona's and she hissed.

"Slave, bondling, move aside!"

"Never will I allow anyone to hurt her."

They aimed their magicks at the same time and Quatre felt a shock go up his arm as his elemental power ball collided with the Advisor's lightning. Before she could react he shoved his hand toward the floor and called upon his other birthright element... The floor trembled and shook and he turned his head toward Leona. "Never." The floor exploded beneath the woman and the elemental powers of earth and its stone swallowed her in raw strength...

Dorothy suddenly stopped crying and screaming and her eyes snapped upward. "Mother... Mother!" Her eyes turned toward Quatre and he flinched at the fear in those grayish blue depths. "You..." She scrambled away, but Quatre kneeled beside her and grabbed her arm gently.

"Please... Don't fear me. I'd never hurt you... Ever."

She met his honest gaze and found herself ambushed by emotions... Hers and his... Their link... The cursed link... Yet... She couldn't hate the bond between them... Not right now, not while he stared at her with those eyes that spoke of so much...

"Come with me... Escape with me..." Quatre glanced toward the doors, "A war rages outside."

It was then that Dorothy realized that outside she could hear the clangs and clashes of swords, the screams of the dying, and the sounds of elemental magicks fighting against each other. 'The war...'

      *

Duo raced through the corridors, able to see the bloodshed around him as the sun's light once again streamed through the windows. He slipped on a puddle of blood, but didn't fall. He jumped over a body and continued toward the ceremony doors. His only worry was reaching the Star... No the Reborn Dawn's Advisor before the bard did. He turned a corner and skidded to a stop as a figure stood in his way.

A familiar figure...

Wufei turned startled eyes toward Duo, "Maxwell?"

"Wufei!" Duo breathed heavily and searched for a way past the other man.

Wufei's eyes narrowed, "What are you doing, Duo?"

Duo sighed and met Wufei's gaze full on, his violet eyes almost seemed to glow and Wufei growled. "That's my business, Captain."

"You answer to the Moon, soldier."

"The Moon?" Duo shook his head; "I missed something... But there's no time for that. Move!"

"No."

The two men glared at each other and Wufei's hand tightened its grip on the Sword of Truth... But before either could move a scream reached their ears and a young woman barreled into Wufei. Duo took the opportunity and bolted down the hall. He felt guilty about leaving Sally behind, but his mission ahead was too important... It held too many risks.

'I have to find her before him...' Duo slammed into the doors, shoving them open with his body weight. He nearly fell face forward, but managed to catch himself with an almost unearthly grace. His eyes widened at the scene before him. The old Dawn lay dead... Yet, he saw no blood. The former Advisor also was dead, except her death was much more horrifying... She stood waist deep in a mound of earth and stone, her eyes wide and mouth open in a silent scream. His eyes quickly, however, fell on the two people who were still alive.

The bard had a hold of the Advisor's arm and was trying to help her off the floor... Duo ran forward and slammed into the bard, knocking him across the room. Duo yanked Dorothy to her feet and scooped her up into his arms. She stared at him in wide-eyed shock... And he suspected she would've fought him if her gaze hadn't fallen from him to the figure of her mother... Then to the dead ex-Dawn... Instead of fighting, she began to sob in his arms and Duo ran from the room. Not even noticing the dagger clenched in Dorothy's blood covered hand.

      *

Midii was too late. She already knew it and she couldn't waste anymore time. She had been wrong and had realized that too late... Too late... The words seemed to mock her as she hid in the shadows, stalking the quiet figure that carried the sleeping form of the Reborn Dawn. She followed him across the grounds, ignoring the fighting around her. She had to save her Dawn... Her new Dawn.

She noticed that the catriffin was also with the strange man... The Panther... His very name invoked fear in many, but Midii couldn't fear him. They held the same occupation... Except he was so... He was a mystery. A complete mystery... Her own past was shrouded in darkness, but he... She didn't fear him. She respected him.

But respect was nothing compared to the love she felt for the girl he carried or the honor she held. Midii froze as a figure moved into the shadows near her. She pulled out of her thoughts and with narrowed eyes, stepped forward.

The slave turned and faced her with calm green eyes. He eyed her for a second, then moved around her and was gone. 'The acrobat... That slave acrobat... No,' she had to correct herself, 'there are no more slaves. The capital will fall and soon men will be set free and chaos will rule... But not forever. Relena will not allow it.'

Midii continued her tracking of the Panther.

      *

"No... NO!" Quatre shot to his feet and ran toward the doorway, only to be shoved backward by a strange force he didn't understand or recognize. "NO! YOU CAN'T DO THIS!" He knew who she was, her name, her scent, her features: they all haunted him. "DOROTHY! DOROTHY!"

"Scream, little mage, but I doubt it'll help."

Quatre jerked and turned his attention toward a tall male that stood in the doorway. The man had long white blond hair and eyes that bore into his very soul. "Who are you?" Quatre's voice was hoarse and eyes shadowed with misery watched Millardo.

"I am Millardo, the Moon, the rightful heir of the Dawn's throne. I have come to take what is mine and set the men free." He took a step forward, "And I know who you are, mage. The Advisor's bondling, the talented bard. I've come to help you."

"Help me?"

"Help you unite with Dorothy."

Quatre's eyes half closed, "Dorothy..." He whispered her name, savoring its feel on his tongue... Vaguely he remembered the violet-eyed man's talk of Possessed Bondlings, but he didn't care. He wanted her. "You'll help me?"

"Yes. If you'll help me. We both believe that men shouldn't be enslaved and I could use the help of such a powerful elemental mage... And I will help you find your bonded."

"Quatre..." Trowa entered the room, his eyes darting from one man to the other. "We have to leave. The fighting is getting worse." As if to punctuate his words, the castle trembled and they could hear the sounds of columns crashing.

Quatre eyed Millardo, "Do you promise, Moon?"

Millardo smiled, "On my honor."

"Fine then. I have no where else to go... But you will help me find her." His voice lowered into a whisper of yearning. "I need her... You must find her for me..."

"We'll find her."

Quatre nodded, swallowed and turned toward his friend. "Trowa... You're right. We must leave, but instead of running... Let us join the right side. He is setting us free... We owe him in a way." Trowa's eyes narrowed and Quatre could see the suspicion in them. He sighed, "Please, Trowa. Where else do we have to go?"

Trowa stared at Millardo for a second... Then slowly nodded, "True... Where else do we have to go... Nowhere."

Quatre smiled, "Thank you. I cannot leave this room." He told them, remembering the shock that had thrown him a minute ago.

"There is a shield surrounding the area... But only to keep you out." Millardo told him. "Take my hand and I will lead you through it."

Trowa watched the two with a heavy heart. 'Something doesn't feel right about this man... this Moon... But for Quatre's sake, I shall stay... For now.'

      *

"Get off of me!" Wufei pushed Sally aside and she stared at him as he glared around for Duo, but couldn't see the man. "Damn..."

"I'm sorry." Sally whispered, "Sorry."

He looked down at her and surprisingly his gaze softened. "Do not fear me, young one, but get away from here and hide. Go."

Sally nodded and ran, a part of her bristling at being called young one when she was probably his age... Maybe even a year older, but she didn't stop to yell... No she continued to run and run, brushing past soldiers of the Moon and the Dawn. She didn't stop until she was outside, in the now harsh sunlight.

Sally breathed heavily for a second before pausing and raising an eyebrow. 'Galea?' She squinted and saw that the catriffin flew above a man dressed in black carrying a woman. 'Galea!' She opened her mouth to yell, but a hand covering her mouth stifled it.

The apprentice turned sharply and stared into the near black eyes of Wufei. He motioned for her to stay quiet as he walked silently around her and toward the Panther and Relena. Sally watched in shock as he rushed forward, his gleaming sword held high in one hand.

The Panther snarled, but Wufei swung the blade toward the woman in the assassin's arms... And watched in surprise as it stopped a hair's breadth from the sleeping Reborn Dawn. "No..." Wufei stumbled backward and the Panther stalked past him, still snarling a quiet warning.

Wufei could merely watch as the two disappeared into the woods. 'It wouldn't touch her... Then... Then this is not right. This is not true justice.' His gaze turned from the woods and to the burning castle. 'She is the rightful leader... The sword never lies. Never.'

      *

Midii stood in the shadows, gasping for air, trying to calm her screaming nerves. 'He nearly killed her!' But soon her rational mind returned and she studied the soldier's sword. 'His sword... The Sword of Truth... The scholar of justice... All the pieces are slowly falling into place... But the warriors' presence means the others will begin to come true and...' Her eyes narrowed, 'May the Mother help us.'

      *

Sally watched as the strange male soldier lowered his sword to the ground and watched the castle in silence. They were both outside the capital's walls and slowly the apprentice turned toward her home... And a choked sob escaped past her lips. Mages inside warred against each other and pieces of the once grand city were now covered in ice or buried in earth. Buildings were being blown down while fires licked at the sky. The sounds of battle were slowing as the capital's defense was slowly slaughtered.

Then it happened...

The beautiful castle... The Dawn's Court... Collapsed into itself and Sally coughed as the castle's fall caused a cloud of dust to blow outward. The Dawn's Court had fallen... the capital was destroyed... the Dawn probably dead... the Reborn Dawn missing... Maybe dead too.

Sally felt as if little claws were ripping into her heart and slowly tearing it apart. Her home... her home was gone... Everything she'd once known and taken for granted was gone... Even Galea.

She felt tears slide down her dust covered face, making muddy smears. Sally slowly turned away from the only home she'd ever known and walked toward the solemn soldier. He was all she could hold onto for now...

Wufei looked up at her approach and sheathed his sword. "Come."

"My home..."

He shook his head, "Gone. It's gone. Do not look toward the past, but toward the future. Come." He started to walk and Sally followed him...

      *

  "DOROTHY! DOROTHY!"

Dorothy had stopped crying sometime ago and now she began to struggle in his arms. "Put me down! He's calling me! Let me go! PUT ME DOWN!"

She could feel the bard's emotions raging through her. He needed her. He wanted her. He would have her. And a bit of her was scared at the intensity, but the other part... The other part was too overwhelmed by his emotions and wants.

Dorothy kicked and screamed and clawed at Duo and he growled. "Stop it before I throttle you!"

"PUT ME DOWN!"

"SHUT UP!"

She snarled.

He growled.

Dorothy reached and yanked on his braid.

Duo yelped and dropped her with a thud.

The dagger fell from numb fingers and she glared up at him. "How dare you! HOW DARE YOU!" She slowly stood up; "I'll kill you! I will!"

Duo raised an eyebrow and answered cruelly, "You've already killed once today, isn't that enough?"

His barb hit home and Dorothy stumbled and nearly fell. "The Dawn... I killed the Dawn." She hugged herself and trembled and Duo regretted his harsh words. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry..."

Dorothy's foot lashed out, kicking him hard in the shin. She shoved him and started running. Duo growled as he realized she'd tricked him and ran after her. He moved with an almost unbelievable speed and tackled her to the ground. Her long hair nearly smothered him as he stayed on top of her. She smelled like lilacs, he realized.

"Now, listen to me, milady. You are a bondling and your bonded is a Possessed Bondling. He will do anything to be near you, to have you. The reason I separated you is because I fear that he may have become...intimate... And bondlings cannot have children."

Dorothy stopped struggling under him and turned her head so one eye could meet one of his violets. "Why?"

"A bondling offspring would carry the powers of male and female in one body. They'd be too powerful, as powerful as the Dawn... maybe even more so and in their childish naivete the child could destroy the very world."

Silence surrounded them as Dorothy breathed heavily... Then slowly he felt her stiffen... He tried to brace himself, but he was still thrown a foot by the elemental force. Dorothy stood and glared at him. "That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! You're just a slave, a lowly nobody slave that wants revenge on me because of the rumors! False rumors! FALSE!" She was now screaming and Duo listened to her calmly. "I know what they say about me, but they don't know the truth! They don't know me! You and the other slaves only see what my mother wants you to see!"

Dorothy suddenly stopped. "Wants..." She swallowed, "Wanted..." Dorothy spun around and through the dense trees she could catch a glimpse of the castle... or what was left of the crumbling building. "It's all gone... And I caused it."

"I have no reason to lie, Advisor. For I'm not a slave and feel no real feelings of hate toward you. I admit I used to feel bitterly when it came to you because of those rumors, but I sense the truth in your words... Now, sense the truth in mine. You and that bard cannot be near each other. He is Possessed."

Dorothy met Duo's gaze. "Possessed..." Her eyes widened, "Mother... You're... You're telling the truth..." Horror and fear entered those gray blue eyes.

"I'm telling the truth."

The Advisor fought tears and tried to remain calm... But it was too much. Her mother was dead, killed by her bonded, the former Dawn was dead by her own hand, she was bonded to a Possessed Bondling and a dagger that lied a few feet away, the blood inside its blade mocking her, her only home for the last nineteen years was gone, her best friend had been taken away by a strange man in black, she could not be near her bonded for fear of bearing his child, and a war had begun today.

Dorothy fell to her knees, covered her head, and wailed.

      *

Noin stared at what had once been the greatest city in the world and felt a tremble crawl through her body... Then again... So many had died today... And it had been hopeless.

Outside, before the ruins of a lost city, the former Captain of the Swords cried.

      *

She panted as she wiped blood off her face, ignoring the rest that covered her from head to foot. She slowly lowered her blood drenched sword and breathed in deeply... Hilde raised her head to the sky and swallowed gulps of air. She could taste her scent... The strange magic she now held...

Hilde smiled, a smile of a blood warrior on the hunt, and began her search... her search for the one true ruler of the land, the Reborn Dawn, her Queen.

      *

As flames licked the sky and dust clouded many peoples' sight, the paths toward Chaos and Order were slowly being revealed. But the one which the Reborn Dawn was on, no one knew... The Battle of the Eclipse brought about the end of the Dawn's Court and the start of the Dawn and Moon Wars.

Yet, this was only the beginning and the end waited in a wavering and confusing future.