Chapter 2

 

Duo held Hilde until the sobbing subsided and she was quietly sniffling. Hilde kept her arms wrapped around his body tightly. She was hopping that all of this was just a dream and she would wake up in Duo's arms and everything would be ok. But reality hit when she opened her eyes and seen everything the way that it was before she closed them.

Duo gently lifted her face to look at him. "Are you ok Hilde?" 

She just stared into his eyes and the tears started to flow all over again. His innocent eyes that have always been filled with nothing but happiness and lover for her would soon be filled with anger and hurt. 

Duo once again tightened his embrace on her. He glanced around the room as he rubbed his hand up and down her back.

Hilde took notice that he was trying to figure out what happened. She pulled back from him and completely wrapped the sheet around her body then stood up. "I'm going to the bathroom."

Duo stood up and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"There's nothing to talk about." She walked out of their room and to the bathroom across from their room.

Duo stood in the room. He was confused as to why Hilde wouldn't talk to him. They have always been able to share with each other when there was something wrong. They normally worked out their problems together. Duo looked down at the floor where there was one of his shirt and a pair of boxers on the floor. Crazy thoughts started to run through his mind. He looked over at the window then to the bed. He had seen Hilde glance over at the window a few times. 'Someone had been in the house.'

Duo heard the shower turn on and he took off running toward the bathroom. He opened the door, scaring Hilde, and quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her back from the shower before she stepped in.

"Who was in the house?"

"No one."

"Don't lie to me Hilde. I know someone was here. What did he do to you?"

"Nothing."

"So there was someone here. Who was it?" She didn't answer him. "Who was it Hilde!"

"I...I need to take a shower Duo, can we talk about this later?" She was nearly on the verge of tears.

Duo placed his hands on her shoulders. "No, if he.... raped you we need to get you to the hospital." It hurt to say that word. It hurt even more that someone had laid their hands on her and now she was afraid to talk to him.

Hilde stepped back from him and grabbed a towel nearby and wrapped it around herself. "Nothing happened Duo."

"Hilde please talk to me, tell me what happened. You should know that I would never be mad at you."

"I need to take a shower Duo."

He shut the shower off and grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her back to their room. "Get dressed I'm taking you to the hospital."

"Duo let go! You can't take me."

Duo let go of her arm and looked at her. "Why?"

"Because.... because I wasn't raped Duo." She collapsed on the floor crying. "I don't believe that I was. I never said no.î She whispered.

Duo felt his heart twist. His mind was telling him things that his heart didn't want to believe. She had slept with someone else. "Who Hilde, who was it? Was it someone that I know?"

"You won't believe me." She choked out between sobs. "He knew how to do things, things that I liked." She pulled her knees against her chest and started to rock. "Where to touch."

Duo kneeled down beside her. "Hilde." He was worried about her sudden rambling. She kept talking about what happened never once looking at him.

"I'm sorry Duo, I'm so sorry." She looked at him. Her face was stained with tears. "I love you, you know that."

Duo stood back up and walked over to the window. "When?"

"Before you got home."

He placed his hand on the window and slammed it shut startling her. "Who Hilde?"

She looked at him to see that he was still staring out the window. "I promised." She whispered.

"I'm getting impatient. Who was it!"

"He....Heero." She jumped when she heard his bitter laugh.

Duo turned around to face her. "Heero? You're telling me that you FUCKED Heero Yuy!"

"Duo please! I love you." She watched him slowly walk toward her and stopped where she sat on the floor. 

"You sure have a good way of showing that." He said sarcastically. He stood there for a few minutes listening to her sobs and pleading. "If you really loved me then why?"

She looked up to see that his eyes were filled with anger, hurt, and disbelief. He wanted understanding and he deserved that. "The best explanation that I can give you is that I wanted it. I...I wanted him."

With her last words Duo walked out of the room. He had heard enough. He needed to get out of there to think. It was all still confusing to him. He walked out of the house and got into his car and drove off, leaving Hilde on the floor of their room crying. 

'Hilde and Heero? It can't be true, they both wouldn't do something like that to me. But why would she lie? She's never lied to me before.' There were a few dozen more questions that worked into his mind.

Duo droved around for an hour before he came to a decision. He stopped at the nearest shuttle port and bought a ticket to the Sanc Kingdom. He would get his answers from Heero.

While at the shuttle port he gave Relena a call at her office. After her secretary answered the call he waited for about ten minutes before Relena came on the line. 

"Duo I'm so sorry that you had to wait. I had a important call from one of the delegates on L4."

He smiled. "That's ok Relena. I didn't mind waiting."

"So what can I do for you?" She smiled back at him.

"Relena, is Heero there on Earth?"

"Yes he just got back early this morning."

"Can I ask where he got back from?"

"From L2 he had some business there over the weekend. Is something wrong?" She had a worried look on her face when she seen Duo's face tense up.

He smiled and chuckled to act like nothing was wrong. "No, nothings wrong. It's just that Hilde had told me that she seen him. And I thought that it couldn't possibly be him because he would have surely of crashed at my place like always. Now that I know that he was here I'm shocked. I really need to talk to him."

"I can have him call you."

"No I have business on L3 for the next couple of days. Relena, can I ask another question?"

She placed her elbows on her desk and rested her chin on her hands. "Sure." She smiled.

"Have you told Heero yet?" Just by the look on her face he knew the answer.

The smile quickly vanished from her face and she looked away from the vid-phone, her arms slid down to rest on the table. "No. I know what you're going to say. I was planning on telling him soon. I'm still scared."

"You don't need to rush anything. But you know that he's going to find out soon enough."

"I know, but I just don't know how to tell him."

"Do what your heart tells you to." The vid-phone flashed a warning letting him know that his time was up. "I gotta go Relena I'm on a pay phone. I'll talk to you in a few days."

Relena once again offered him a smile. "Thanks Duo, for everything."

He then terminated the link. 'God if this is true it's going to kill her.'

He then drove back home to pack a few things. When he walked into the house it was dark, except the glow from the tv in the living room. He could see Hilde wrapped up in a blanket passed out. Duo quietly walked up the stairs and grabbed what he needed. He then walked over to the dresser and opened the top drawer and pulled out his gun. There was no way that he would confront Heero without having some sort of protection on hand.

Duo threw his bag over his shoulder and walked down the stairs. He stopped in the entryway of the living room to watch Hilde. He then sat the bag down and walked over to the couch and kneeled down beside her. He couldn't explain the feelings that were running throughout him. But he knew one thing for certain, she was too important in his life to loose her. They had both made mistakes over the years, this would be one that would be hard to get past, but he was willing to try. He ran his fingers across her lips and she slowly opened her red swollen eyes to look at him.

"Duo."

"Shhhh." He placed his fingers across her lips. "I'm going to be gone for a few days. Stay here and don't leave. I'll be back soon, then we can talk."

Hilde watched Duo as he stood back up and walked over to pick up his bag. She knew where he was going. She just hoped that nothing bad would happen to either one of them. Duo offered her a small smile of reassurance and he walked out the door. She listened to his car start and drive off and the tears started to run down her cheeks.  "Please be careful Duo."