Deception and Lies Chapter 3

 

Heero managed to get away from Relena to have a few moments of quiet time. He was glad that it was a nice spring day and he could slip outside to hide. He walked out into the small garden at her estate and sat down in his usual spot, a bench that was in the shade of a willow tree. He opened up the book that he had been holding and started to read where he left off the last time. Unknowing to him there were a pair of violet eyes watching him in the distance.

Duo stood in his spot behind the bushes that was blocking him from Heero's view. He still hasn't been able to decided on how to approach the man. He reached into his pocket, satisfied that his gun was handy he took a deep breath and walked out from behind the bushes and started to approach Heero.

"Heero!" 

Heero looked up from his book to see Duo approaching him. He was shocked to see him, and his thoughts quickly went to Hilde and if she had opened her big mouth. If she had she was as good as dead.

Duo sat down on the bench next to him and stretched his arms on the backrest, placing one of them behind Heero's back. "Nice day huh?"

"Duo." Heero glanced over at him, and narrowed his eyes slightly at the huge smile plastered on Duo's face. He smirked at the thought that Hilde must have kept her mouth shut. 'Good girl, I might have to reward her.' He turned his attention back to the book.

"So what are you reading anyway? It seems every time I find you outside you're busy reading one thing or another." He looked over at Heero to see that he only turned his eyes up at him then returned them to the book. "Fine then don't answer my question. Geez, I try to have a normal conversation with the guy and he downright ignores me, might as well strike up a conversation with the tree."

Heero closed the book marking the page with his finger. "Duo, what do you want?"

Duo reached over and grabbed the book from Heero's hands he was surprised that he didn't react to what he did. "So what is this?" He opened the book and looked at the Japanese text in the book. "What is this a manual?" He turned the book over to look at the title and grunted when he didn't see one. 

"Give the book back." Heero reached over to snatch it from Duo's hands.

Duo pulled the book away from Heero's grasp. "So what's this called anyway? How to cheat on you best friend with his girlfriend?" He smacked the book into Heero's chest and smirked when he seen look of total shock on Heero's face. 'Gotcha.' Heero's reaction is just what Duo wanted to get out of the man. Duo started to laugh then he smacked Heero on the back. "Man with the way that you acted it was like you just got busted."

Heero glared at Duo then stood up and started to walk off. Duo jumped up and fell into pace with him. "So are you going to tell me?"

"Tell you what?" Heero snapped and continued his walk back to the estate.

They walked in silence until they were both inside the building and in Heero's office. Then Duo finally spoke up. 

"Why?" 

Heero still had his back to him so Duo took the opportunity to pull out his gun and to point it at Heero. He was in Heero's territory now and he needed to make sure that he got what he came here for without leaving in a body bag.

Heero placed the book down on his desk then turned around. He smirked at the sight before him. "Why what?"

"Don't play around. You know why I'm here, so answer the damn question!" Heero took a step to walk around the desk. "Don't move Heero."

"I have no idea what you're talking about Duo, put the damn gun down."

"Did you think that I wouldn't find out that you messed with girl?" Heero just continued to stare at him. "I need to know why. I thought we were friends Heero. Hell, I helped you with your problems with Relena."

Heero snorted. "You mean you helped yourself to Relena."

"What?" Duo was completely confused.

"Did you two ever plan on telling me? Or were you going to continue behind my back. I was only taking what was yours, just like you took mine." Heero crossed his arms and leaned back against the desk.

"What in the hell are you talking about?" Duo stared at Heero in disbelief. 

"I saw the two of you Duo."

"When?" 

"Down by the pond a few weeks ago."

Duo was busy thinking about what Heero was talking about, he let his eyes drift away from Heero, and it was a mistake. Heero lunged at him and quickly disarmed him while slamming his up against a wall. He then returned the favor and pointed the gun at Duo.

"Now Duo, you're going to tell me this little secret that the two of you have been keeping from me for weeks now."

"Heero, it's not what you think. I'm not involved with Relena and I never have been!"

Heero grabbed Duo by the throat, squeezing just enough to let him know he didn't want to play games. "Don't lie to me, I saw the two of you."

Duo pulled at Heero's hand and broke out coughing when he slackened his grip. "You didn't see what you thought you did." Heero let his hand drop from Duo's throat. Duo quickly started to rub it while he kept talking. "That day, since I was here on business, I came to drop off a few things that Hilde and Relena were exchanging. Relena and I took a walk. She was upset. I thought that maybe the two of you had a fight, or you left so I hung around. I listened and we ended up down near the pond. She slipped and screamed I caught her, but I fell as well. I made sure that she landed on me because of the.... because I didn't want her to get hurt."

"I heard you two say something about secrets. What are the two of you hiding?" 

"I planned on selling the business. That's why I been taking all of these trips lately. Because I was listening to different offers. I was going to take an office job at Preventer Headquarters. I wanted to make sure that I had time in my life to have a family and to be there with them. That scrapping business would have had me busy practically 24/7."

Heero could tell that Duo was telling the truth, at least about that. "And Relena's secret?"

"It's not my place to tell you."

Heero put the gun to Duo's temple. "You better." 

He could see out of the corner of his eye that Heero's finger was starting to squeeze the trigger. "She's...forgive me Relena...she pregnant."

Heero pulled the gun back and started at Duo.

Duo pushed Heero away from him. "She didn't want to tell you because she didn't know how you would take it!" Duo took a few steps away from the wall and moved over toward the doorway to his left. "And if it would have been anything like the way that your acting now I don't blame her for being scared!" Duo stopped yelling when he seen that Heero was still staring at the same spot that had been moments before. He had a look of shock on his face. Duo walked over toward him and very easily took his gun back from him. It was like Heero didn't even know that he did it because he never once moved.

'Shit,' Duo reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Heero."

"Leave me alone." Heero continued to stare at the wall.

Duo pulled his hand back. "I'll go get Relena. Stay here Heero, don't leave. And don't do anything stupid." Duo left Heero and took of running down the hallway.

Heero looked over at the door. He was trying his best to grasp the information the Duo just gave him. If it is true then he fucked up. He let his anger take control with out having facts. He cheated, hurting his best friend and Hilde. And he probably just lost his future with Relena. "What did I do?"