Deceptions and Lies Chapter 6

 

Duo's car came to a screeching halt outside the house. He quickly shut the car off and turned off the lighs then ran toward the house. His heart skipped a beat when the door opened when he turned the handle, Hilde never left the door unlocked. 

"Hilde!"

He glanced around, the entire downstairs was dark and quiet. 

"Hilde!"

He took a few steps toward the stairs, his foot collided with something, and the sound of metal sliding on the hard wood floor carried throughout the quiet house. Duo turned on the lights and glanced down at the gun on the floor. Heero had been here. Duo quickly raced up the stairs and burst into his room and turned on the light only to find it empty. He heard a noise behind him and turned around to see Hilde standing in the doorway of the guest room rubbing her eyes.

"Duo."

He gave a sigh of relief and went and embraced her. "Are you ok? Did he hurt you?"

"I'm fine Duo."

He pulled back to look at her. "Are you sure?"

She nodded her head and looked down not wanting to meet his eyes. "Yes, he didn't hurt me."

Duo pulled her back into his arms and held her for a few more minutes. "Why don't you finish getting your sleep and we can talk in the morning ok."

Hilde nodded and pulled out of his arms. She didn't want to leave them, but she felt that she didn't rightfully belong in Duo's arms anymore. She turned and walked back into the guestroom.

"Hilde what are you doing in there?"

She turned around and looked at him. "I'm going to stay here for now on Duo, or until you ask me to leave." She then walked back into the room closed the door behind her. 

Duo walked back to their bedroom and looked at their bed. He turned off the light to the room and made his way down the steps. He wouldn't be sleeping in there tonight.

 

The next morning Hilde got dressed and walked down the steps. She stopped when she glanced in the living room and saw Duo asleep on the couch. She smiled and walked into the kitchen to get breakfast started. She knew that any minute now the man would be awake. Duo knew exactly when food was being prepared. She turned around and jumped when she collided with him. Duo grabbed her so she wouldn't loose her balance.

"Duo I'm sorry." She blushed when she took notice that his hands were on her hips. 

Duo smiled and pulled back from her. "I was just..."

"I know." Hilde cut him off and poked his chest. "You stomach wanted to see what was to eat." She quickly pulled her hand back when she saw that he was looking at it. He had a look in his eyes that clearly read that she could only touch him when he allowed it. She walked back over to the stove to finish cooking and watched Duo out of the corner of her eye as he opened the fridge and pulled out the carton of orange juice. "Duo make sure that you use a...," Duo held up a cup and smiled. "..cup."

Duo sat down at the table and watched Hilde. A few minutes later she sat their plates down and sat down across from Duo. They ate in silence until Hilde had enough.

"Duo, you said that you wanted to talk."

Duo forked a few eggs and nodded. He looked up to see Hilde staring at him. "I have got to know...this has been bothering me Hilde but I need to know if you enjoyed it."

Hilde closed her eyes and nodded. "I won't lie to you Duo, I did but in my heart it was you not Heero."

"What in the hell is that suppose to mean?"

Hilde had to look away from his angry face. "That didn't...I'm sorry Duo. I'm so sorry."

"Look Hilde, I want to work things out. The marriage will be put on hold and we'll take one day at a time."

"Are you sure Duo?"

"Yah, but you need to remember that I'm not forgiving you for what you did."

Hilde could feel the tears burn her eyes. She didn't expect Duo to ever forgive her, she was prepared for that. But she also didn't think that Duo would be willing to give her a second chance. She had dreamed that he threw her out of the house and laughed in her face calling her a slut and a cheat. "I wasn't expecting that."

"Good. I'm not saying that I'll never be able too. Just not now. Not anytime soon." He then got up and left the room.

Hilde got up and cleaned the kitchen then went to find Duo. She found him in the living room watching tv. She walked in and sat down on the couch as far away from him as possible. "Duo."

"Yeah."

"Heero...he wanted to say that he was sorry. That he was wrong for the mistake that he made and for you to tell Relena."

"He's sorry." Duo laughed bitterly. "He fucked up bad Hilde. Sorry isn't good enough for Relena, she's hurt more than I am. And if I see the guy I might wind up taking my chance tying to kill him."

Hilde looked at Duo, who was still watching the tv. ."He said that it was an act of revenge. What did he mean by that?"

Duo glanced over at her then continued to watch the program on tv. "He thought that Relena and I were having an affair."

Hilde looked away from Duo and closed her eyes. 'He used you bad Hilde.' She thought to herself

They were silent for a long time. Neither wanting to say anything that may jeopardize what they were trying to salvage of their relationship. Until Duo spoke up.

"I'm selling the business Hilde."

She looked at him totally shocked. "What?"

"I have been thinking about it for a few months now, and I think that it's time that I packed up and left here. I took an office job at Preventer Headquarters. I start in two weeks."

"I see." Hilde looked down at her hands. He would be leaving her then.

"Well, I'm going to go out for awhile." Duo stood up and looked down at her. "I probably won't be back until late so don't wait up for me ok."

Hilde nodded her head and watched Duo leave the room. She jumped when she heard the front door slam. 

 

Duo didn't come home until well after two in the morning. Hilde could hear giggling coming from downstairs. She got up and turned on the lights then opened the door to see if he was alright, and froze when she seen a strange woman have her arms wrapped around Duo's neck and was kissing him hungrily. They slowly started up the stairs together. Hilde tried to move quickly so she could get back into her room before they saw her, but once they neared the top the woman stopped what she was doing and asked Duo who she was. Duo looked at Hilde then looked at the woman next to him with confusion. 

Hilde could clearly tell that Duo was drunk. She could feel her heart break for him. Duo never drank. In fact he couldn't stand people that spent their entire day at a bar, especially if they had a family at home depending on them. 'He did this to himself because of you Hilde! You led him to this!'  her mind screamed at her.

Duo pushed the woman away from him, which caused him to stumble and hit the wall. "Get out." He yelled at the woman.

"But honey, I thought that we were.."

"I SAID GET OUT!" Duo growled in anger and fustration.

Hilde gasped she had never heard Duo yell at anyone in that tone before.

"Fine then, don't expect me to return your money." The woman gave Hilde a dirty look then walked down the stairs and out of the house slamming the door behind her.

"Hilde I...."

"There's no need to explain Duo, goodnight." She stepped back into her room and closed the door. She started to cry as she slid down the door until she was sitting on the floor. 'You ruined his life Hilde. Drinking and prostitutes isn't Duo, you ruined him.'

Duo had seen the tears that were in her eyes. He could tell that Hilde didn't want to cry in front of him, but he could hear her quiet sobs on the other side of the door. He placed his hand on the door. "I'm sorry Hilde," he quietly whispered then he turned and went into his bedroom. He was too damn tired and drunk to try to make it down the stairs on his own. He collapsed on the bed and passed out quickly.