Deceptions and Lies Chapter 8

 

Duo stopped the car in front of their house. They had been living on the earth now for the past six and a half months and were enjoying every moment of it, that was until winter set in. He looked over at Hilde who was trying to zip up her jacket over her now swelling stomach. She was currently seven months pregnant and now even more ecstatic about having the baby after just getting back from seeing Relena and her baby at the hospital. 

He remembered when they had found out about the baby. They had just adjusted to life on earth when he heard Hilde crying in the bathroom. It took some persuasion to get her to open the door and to tell him what was going on. And he quickly understood why she was upset. They had just gotten use to their new lives and started over after he had forgiven her for her fling with Heero, and it turns out that she may be pregnant with his or Heero's kid.

It would have been so much easier if she never had slept with Heero, then it would have solved the whole thing. But having slept with Duo the night before there was the hanging possibility of doubt.

But none of that mattered now anyway. No matter what, this was his child. He went to every appointment with her. He held her hand during Lamaze classed. He was the one that dealt with her late night cravings. And he loved every minute of it, and was just as excited as she was. So if this kid came out with prussian eyes or violet eyes, dark brown hair or chestnut brown hair. Duo was going to love it.

"Come on Hilde we better get inside."

"I'm not looking forward to going out in that blizzard."

Duo started to laugh at her. îThat's no blizzard it's what they call a flurry babe." Hilde smacked him playfully on the arm. "Really it's going to get cold in here soon. Lets get in the house and make some hot chocolate, start a fire and cuddled up. What do say?"

Hilde smiled at him. "I'd like that." 

"Ok hold on a sec." He quickly got out of the car and slammed his door. And ran to the other side and opened the door for her and helped her out of the car.  He kept his hand on her back as they made their way to the door incase she slipped he could catch her. 

Hilde pressed her body against his as he opened the door. She smiled as he moved aside and ushered her inside. Just before he stepped in he hesrd a familiar voice that he hadn't heard in months.

"Duo."

He thought that it may just be the wind playing games with him but when he turned around he saw Heero standing behind him. Hilde froze in shock in the doorway. "Hilde why don't you go and make that hot chocolate while I take care of this." He could tell that Hilde was hesitating but she soon closed the door, leaving it cracked slightly for Duo to get in.

Duo stared at Heero. He so badly wanted to grab him and to beat the shit out of him for leaving Relena and making her life hell the past seven months. His fits were clutched tightly at his sides. He didn't bother to ask Heero how he found him. He knew the man was capable of finding, or doing whatever he wanted. "What in the hell do you want Yuy?"

"How's....how's Relena doing?"

"Why in the hell do care? You haven't shown any sign of caring for her, or about the pregnancy the past few months."

Heero looked down at the ground. "I'm sorry."

"I'm not the one that you should be begging for forgiveness." Duo calmed himself then took a good look at Heero. He was only wearing a pair of jeans and his jean jacket buttoned up. Duo figured that he had that stupid green tank top under it as well. It was visibly noticeable that his face was slightly blue. Snow was clinging to his hair and his teeth were chattering ever so slightly. "Shit Heero, how long have you been outside?" Heero shrugged his shoulders. "You're one stupid son of a bitch you know that?" Duo kicked the door open and grabbed Heero and dragged him in the house.

Hilde turned around to see Duo pushing Heero into the living room. "Hilde get a few blankets for me." He forced Heero to sit down on the couch and went over to the fireplace and started a fire. Once he was done, Duo turned around to see Hilde standing in the doorway watching them. He could clearly tell that she didn't want to be in the same room as Heero so he walked over and took the two blankets for her hands. "Don't worry Hilde." He whispered to her. "He won't cause any trouble. Oh and will you get another cup of hot chocolate for him. He needs it." She nodded and was about to walk away when Duo grabbed her arm and gave her a quick kiss. "Thanks Hilde."

Duo walked over to Heero, who was still staring at the spot the Hilde was standing. Duo wrapped a blanket over Hereo's shoulders and placed the other one over his legs.

"I'm glad that you two stayed together." Heero watched Duo as he took a seat in a chair across from him. Duo remained silent about Heero's comment.

Both men sat in silence until Hilde carried in the two cups for Duo and Heero. Duo got up and took them from her. "You don't need to be out here if you don't feel comfortable." 

"I'm fine, but I do have some stuff to do upstairs anyway." Duo watched her leave the room and walk up the stairs. He knew that she was lying and he felt terrible. But he wasn't about to throw Heero out until he warmed up some. 

"Here." Duo handed Heero a cup once he walked over to him. 

Heero thanked him and held it in his hands enjoying the feeling of the hot cup in his hands. He watched Duo sit back down in the same chair and they were once again in a staring match.

"How far along is Hilde?"

Duo smirked and placed his cup down on the coffee table. "Around seven months." He waited for Heero's reaction and got just what he wanted, a look of shock. 'You still figure things out quickly don't you?' He thought before speaking up again. "Look Heero, I know what your thinking. And all that I can say is there may be a slight possibility. But you need to know this now, that no matter what this is my kid." Heero just stared at him blankly. "Like you would take responsibility for it when you can't even take responsibility for the one that is your biological kid."

Heero stared at the melting marshmallows in his cocoa. Duo was right and wrong. He wanted to go to Relena and tell her that he was sorry and to beg to be allowed back in her live. But the one thing that was holding him back was he was too scared to be a father. He had screwed up so many times and didn't want his child to view his. or her father as a screw up.  

"Heero, I certainly hope that you're going to go and see Relena. Despite the fact that I think that you should stay the hell away from her, my view isn't what is important. It's how Relena feels. And I can tell you that even with everything that has happened, she still loves you." He shrugged his shoulders and picked his cup back up to take a sip. "I know that she wants you to be on the birth certificate."

Heero finally looked up from his cup to look at Duo. "The child would be better off not knowing who its father is."

Duo about dropped his cup with the flash of anger that washed through him. "How in the hell can you say that? That's your baby. Every child deserves to have a family. Your little girl is only a couple of hours old and you're already denying her that! You don't deserve to be her father!"

"I have a daughter." It was more of a statement then a question as he fixed his eyes on Duo's angered face. He was a father. Just the thought of that frightened him slightly. What did Relena expect of him? And if she wanted him to be in their child's life would he be able to do that without letting his anger overtake him at times. 

Would Relena be able to forgive him for what he did? What if she already had and has been waiting for him to come back to her. Duo and Hilde were able to get past what happened, and they are living together, expecting a child, and look extremely happy. So what is holding him back? Why couldn't he go to Relena?

Heero sat his cup down, and pulled the blanket off of him and laid them down on the couch and stood up. "I have to go."

"Really? Where are you running off to this time Heero?" Duo sneered at him. 

"I'm not running, not anymore." He walked toward the door and stopped to look at Hilde, who was at the bottom of the steps. They stared at each other in silence knowing what was going through the other mind at that moment. "Thank you for the hot chocolate." Heero tried his best to keep her from feeling uncomfortable. And when he saw her jump at the sound of his voice he quickly left the house.

Hilde felt Duo's arm rest on her shoulders and he pulled her close to him. She relaxed her body against his. "Lets just hope that he decides to do the right thing."

Duo placed his chin on top of her head. "I have a feeling that he will this time. At least I hope he does."