Deceptions and Lies Chapter 9

 

Heero walked quietly down the hallway toward the maternity ward trying his best to ignore the nagging feeling that he should just get out of there and run. But no matter what the dark recesses of his mind was screaming at him and he couldn't get his feet to stop. 

He stopped in his tracks when he saw Millardo walk out of a room. Heero quickly opened the door to the room that was by him and stepped in  and closed it. Thankfully the room was empty. He would have hated having to explain to whomever was in there why he was currently standing in their room. He listened to the footsteps of people passing by and held his spot for a few moments before opening the door and looking both ways down the hallway to see that Millardo was gone.

Heero slipped out of the room and walked down the hallway and stopped at the door that he saw Millardo come out of. Taking a deep breath he knocked on the door, and his heart stopped when he heard Relena's voice from the other side of the door.

"Come in."

'Do the right thing. No more running.' Opening the door he quietly walked in the room. Heero stopped and stared at the woman sitting on the bed smiling at the baby in her arms. But once she looked up to see who had come into her room that loving smile quickly vanished, and he witnessed a brief moment of pain and sorrow cross her face. And he knew in that instant what type of pain he had caused her for actions.

Relena once again looked down at her daughter who was quietly sleeping after finishing eating her second meal since she came to be in her life. She was in no mood to start an argument in the hospital, for fear of disturbing the other patients or waking her child up. Heero at least deserved to look at his daughter before she had him thrown out of her room. "Come over here Heero."

She watched as he walked over without hesitation and stopped by her side. Looking at his face, his eyes easily gave away the mixed array of emotions that were coursing through him, and her heart softened for a slight moment. "Look at her, isn't she beautiful?"

Heero looked down at the little bundle in her arms. He reached out and ran his fingers over the dark tresses on her head. "She looks like you." He finally spoke up.

Relena smiled at the comment, everyone has been telling her that today. Even beside the fact that her daughter has Heero's eye color and hair color. "She has your eyes as well." Relena said and looked up to see Heero smirk for a second as he took the little girls hand in his fingers. "Heero, how did you know I was here?"

"I knew. Duo confirmed it though."

A look of shock crossed her face. "You saw Duo?"

"Yes.....and Hilde."

"Oh, did anything....."

"No, nothing happened." Heero cut her off, his voice was a little more harsh then he would have liked it. But he didn't like the fact that she thought that he would start something. "We just talked. Then I left and came here."

Relena narrowed her eyes at him. "And why did you come here Heero?"

He looked at the tiny baby sleeping. "Because."

Relena shook her head. "That's not good enough Heero. You can't come to me now tying to make a quick fix of things."

"I'm not. I know how bad I hurt you."

"Do you!" She snapped at him. "Do you really think that you know? You have no idea what it was like to be pregnant and to have the man that you love not trust you, cheat on you, then leave you!" She was expecting him to turn and walk out of the room but he stayed where he was ,looking down at the floor.

"I'm sorry." His voice was barley above a whisper. 

"It's too late for that now, maybe if you would have said that months ago we could have worked something out. But you chose to run and hide from your problems. I don't want that in my life right now Heero. I don't want to let you back in only to hurt our daughter later when you decided to run and not trust again."

For the first time in his live he felt true heartache. "I won't."

The baby started to stir in her arms and Relena turned her attention to the baby. 

"I won't run Relena." He reached out and touched her hand only to have Relena smack it away.

"I don't want to deal with this right now Heero, just leave."

"Relena, I came here to talk to you ...To tell you how I feel for you." Relena glared at him, the look in her eyes made him take a step back. 

"Leave now before I call the nurse."

"I'm not going to run from this Relena."

Relena reached for the button beside her and pushed it. Heero didn't move from his spot. And made it clear that he wasn't going to leave without being forced or killed.

"Is there a problem Ms. Darlian?" A voice said over the intercom.

"Yes, I have an unwanted guest in my room that I want removed." 

"I'll send a security guard to your room immediately." Was the quick reply of the nurse.

Relena looked back at Heero, having taken her eyes off of him for only a few short seconds, and saw him walking toward the door. "Leaving?"

"Only because I don't want to wake the baby, or to anger you any further. But I'm not done with this conversation Relena."

"It's too late Heero."

"I'm not giving up."

The security guard walked into the room. "Is this the man that is bothering you?"

"He's leaving." Relena looked at Heero to see him walk out of the room.

"I'll make sure that he goes then." The guard left the room to catch up with Heero.

Relena watched the door slide shut and sighed. She had held off from crying because she didn't want Heero to see how much she was hurting from him being there, and saying those things to her. But now that he was gone she let the tears that had been building up out. She couldn't let her heart get ripped apart by Heero again, yet there was a part of her wanting to reach out to him and to give him another chance.