A Nights Embrace Chapter 2

 

It had taken them a few hours to finally get the situation under control. The ballroom look like a tornado had gone threw it.  Duo walked over to where one of the gunmen laid dead. 'What in the world happened here tonight?' he thought as he bent down to pull the mask off the personís head to get a look at him or her. 'He's just a young boy.' He looked back over his shoulder to see what everyone else was doing.

Trowa and Quatre were covering the ballroom looking for clues as to what happened. Zechs, Noin, and Une were together talking when Sally walked up to them. "There were only eight gunmen reported. Three were killed and the other five were taken into custody. They are all young teenagers. It's such a shame that ones so young could do something like this.  And for civilian casualties, eleven civilians were killed and twenty more are in the hospital, three of them are in critical condition."

"Thank you Sally." said Une.

Duo made his way over to them and pointed at the body. "He's just a boy? Why did they do this?"

"We are interrogating the other five now, but no one is speaking. Wufei stayed behind incase any of them break. But we do believe that Relena wasn't a target at all."

Duo looked at the floor. "Then it was just a bunch of kids being stupid."

Wufei entered the ballroom and walked over to the group. "I have some very interesting news." Everyone turned to look at him. Wufei crossed his arms once he reached them. "Those boys that did this were after five things."

"Five things? What in the hell are you talking about?" asked Duo.

Wufei smirked and raised his right hand with his fingers spread out. With each name he lowered a finger. "Heero, Duo, Quatre, Trowa, and Me."

"What? Why?' asked Noin.

Zechs placed a hand on Noin's shoulder and looked over at Wufei. "Why were they after you gundam pilots?"

"They claim that their was a number of reasons why. One being the fame that would come with killing us. Another being that two of those kids older brothers were killed while fighting us in the war. But it doesn't matter because those weaklings didn't hurt a single one of us and they know it." Wufei again crossed his arms. 

"Yes they did." everyone looked over at Duo 

Duo locked eyes with Zechs. "Heero he's been shot more than once I'm sure of it."

"Sally has everyone reported in?" Une asked her.

"Yes. Everything seems calm. I have swept Relena's room for anything that looked our of the ordinary. I have other people sweeping over the house. All looks ok."

Zechs nodded "Ok then, Maxwell lets go get Relena." 

-----------------------------------------

Zechs ended up leading Duo down a dark passage that led to a room. He could see Relena and Heero before they even reached them. They were both sitting in chairs facing each other. Heero hand no shirt on and had his head resting on her shoulder.  Relena had her arms wrapped around him. When they got closer Duo could see Heero's shirt on the floor covered in blood. He walked over to them following Zechs who placed a finger on Heero's neck to check for a pulse. Duo looked at Heero's gunshot wounds. Both had stopped bleeding but it was obvious that he lost a lot of blood. He was extremely pale. His hair was matted with blood that must have come from Relena's hands because they were covered in blood. Duo felt a small tinge of jealousy about the way that Relena was holding him. "Zechs is he Ok?"

Zechs was quiet for a short while longer before he finally spoke. "I think so. I'm going to get Sally and get an ambulance ready for him. Wake Relena up." and he left.

Duo lowered his face next to Heero's ear and whispered. "You better hold on." He looked over at Relena "We have a lot to talk about." Duo then turned his attention to Relena. "Relena" he placed a hand on her shoulder and gently shook her. "Relena please wake up. "

Relena slowly opened her eyes and seen Duo smile at her. She then quickly turned to look at Heero who she still held in her arms. "Duo, Heero needs help."

"We know." he said in a sad voice as he placed his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it gently.

She could feel the tears starting to flow down her face "Is he....."

"No he's still hanging on but barely. Zechs went to get Sally and to get an ambulance ready for him. Trust me Relena, Heero has lived threw far worse than this. He'll make it I'm sure of it."

A short time later Zechs came back with Sally and Noin in tow. Sally made her way over to Heero and looked at his wounds. "He has lost a lot of blood.  This wound on the shoulder doesn't look very good. We need to get him out of here now."  Zechs and Duo helped to lift Heero from chair.  Relena stood to get out of their way and walked over to Noin who hugged her when she got close enough. 

"Noin take Relena to her room." Zechs said as they walked pass the two.

Relena's head snapped up from Noins shoulder. "I'm coming Millardo. You can't make me stay."

Zechs looked at his sister. "I understand why you want to come, but there is always the possibility that it may be unsafe for you to leave this house."

Duo turned to look at Relena. "Relena, please stay here with Ms Noin. I would feel safer if you stayed here. I'll stay with Heero and I'll call you the second we know something."

Relena could tell that Duo was worried about her. She sighed. "Ok Duo, I'll stay."

Duo smiled "Thanks Relena. Remember what I told you about Heero." he flashed her one of his killer smiles. Then Zechs, Duo, and Sally left with a very unconscious Heero.

After arriving at the hospital Duo called to let Relena know that Heero was rushed into surgery. He was in need of a blood transfusion. The shot on his shoulder had shattered his collarbone. The doctors were going to try to reconstruct it.  And the one on his chest luckily missed hitting anything important. After getting out of surgery Heero was still unconscious and the doctors were convinced that with the great loss of blood and oxygen that it caused him to slip into a coma. 

-----------------------------------------

Three days had passed and she still wasn't allowed to go and see how Heero was doing. Relena was pacing her office floor. Her brother had refused for her to go to the hospital to visit Heero. Luckly Zechs and Noin had to return to Mars later today, so she was going to manage to slip out and pay Heero a little visit. She had a feeling that she could wake him. Maybe he was waiting for her.

"Relena" she turned at the sound of her name.

"Oh, hi Duo" she said in a almost emotionless voice.

Duo was shocked at what she said 'Oh hi Duo? That's the response I get from her!' he thought. "Relena is something bothering you? If so you know you can talk to me." 

She just stood there in silence for a few minutes. "How is Heero doing?"

"I just got back for seeing him. He is still in the coma and not showing any signs of waking up soon." Duo walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her pulling her into a tight embrace. "But I know any day now he'll be up and moving and acting just like he always does. I can see him jumping head first into his work as soon as they release him. That guy doesn't know the meaning of the word bed rest."

Relena managed a smile. "Duo, something has been bothering me since that night."

Duo held her tighter to himself. He was worried that maybe Heero had said or did something to her that night. "What is it?"

"When Heero was unconscious he said something about you, about how he asked you to look out for me and that he told you that he loved me. Is that true?" she looked up into his eyes. 

"Yes. When he left three years ago he stopped by L2. He told me that he was going away for a while. He wouldn't say where or how long. He also asked if I would look out for you. His last words before he left was Duo, I love her."

Relena pushed away from him and walked over to her desk and picked up a few folders. "I have a meeting to go to. If you will excuse me." She then left the room. 'That explains why you hit Duo that night. What am I going to do? Duo has been a lifeline for me. He has given me so much love and support and I love him for that. But Heero, I have never stopped loving him. And now I know that he loves me. I am so confused.' she thought as she walked down the hallway to get to the conference room.

Duo stood in her office for several minutes after she left. He was confused as to why Relena just treated him like that. Leann, Relena's secretary, walked in. "Oh hello Mr. Maxwell, I see that Miss. Relena must have left for her meeting. The hospital called to say that Mr. Yuy has woken up."

"Thank you Leann. Will you let Relena know about Mr. Yuy after she gets out of her meeting." 

"Sure Mr. Maxwell." she smiled at him.

"Thanks." he smiled back at her and left the office to head toward the hospital. 'Good that will give us a good hour to talk Heero'.

-----------------------------------------

Heero sat up slowly while biting his tongue, he would be damned if he showed Zechs that he was in pain. He stared at the envelope that Zechs threw on his lap. "What's this?"

"Just something for you to look at when you have nothing to do." Noin said while smiling at him. "I'm glad that you are going to be ok Heero."

"Who did it?"

"It was just a group of kids that wanted to get revenge on you gundam pilots."

Heero shook his head "Stupid fools. How's Relena?"

"She is fine Heero. Just a little shaken up about what happened to you." she could have sworn for a second there Heero actually smiled.

"Noin we should be going." Zechs said as he walked toward the door. 

Noin followed him "Goodbye Heero, you take care of yourself." 

Zechs opened the door for her and started to follow but stopped before the door closed "Heero, thank you for protecting Relena."

Heero nodded his head as Zechs closed the door. He again looked down at the envelope and opened it. Pulling out the papers he glanced over them. 'So your inviting me to help with the terraforming project on Mars Zechs?' Heero herd the door open and he looked up to see Duo standing in the doorway. Heero smirked and placed the papers back in the envelope and place it on the table next to the bed. "I've been waiting for you."

Duo walked into the room and closed the door behind him "You have?"

"Your the one that said that we had a lot to talk about."

"I guess I did say that didn't I? Duo walked over to a chair, by the only window in the room, that was a good five feet from Heero, and sat down Both men sat in silence for a few minutes staring at one another. Duo could have sworn that Heero was thinking of ways to hurt him just by the look on his face. "Where were you for those three years you were gone?"

"That's none of your business."

"No Heero! It is my business. It involves Relena and I care for her. You didn't see how she reacted when you left without letting her know why. You didn't see her cry herself to sleep every night because she didn't know what she did wrong. You didn't see how more and more upset she got with each passing day when you didn't return or even write to her. She started to fear that you did something stupid Heero. Now where in the hell were you for those three years!" Duo was shaking with anger and trying his best to stay seated. He had promised himself that he wouldn't go at Heero and try to hit him. It would probably be the last mistake he would ever make before Heero killed him if he did something like that. 

Heero was shocked at Duo's little outburst "I was just doing things."

"Damn it Heero why can't you just be honest?" Duo felt totally shocked when Heero started to quietly laugh at him. "What's so damn funny Heero?"

Heero calmed himself down and answered Duo "You two are really a lot alike."

"What do you mean by that?" said a confused Duo.

"Relena asked me the same question, about being honest."

"Really? Well maybe you should take our words to heart." Duo snapped at him.

"Maybe your right."

Duo was totally shocked  "Wha...what did you say. Did you just agree with me?" 

Heero watched Duo closely and then smiled. "I got myself some psychiatric help"

Again Heero shocked Duo. "What? Why?"

"I was afraid that I would hurt her. All my life I have been trained to do nothing but to fight and to follow orders. To become the perfect weapon, the perfect tool of destruction. To love and to care for someone was out of the question, a weakness, feelings that shouldn't be touched, feelings that have been buried so deep inside of me that they didn't exist. The closer that I got to her the more frightened I became as those feelings slowly started to surface. I knew that with just one kiss I wouldn't be able to walk away for her. But the more time I spent with her the more that I wanted it to go further. I guess, in a way I have been afraid of those emotions because I don't know how to act on them. And I was afraid that I would give in to what she wanted and not to be able to return the feelings toward her. I just wanted to be able to love her the way that she deserves to be loved. So that is why I left. I wanted to make myself into a better person for her. I wanted to be able to say, I love you to her and mean it."

Duo looked down at the floor. Closing his eyes he took a deep breath. "So you got help to set those emotions free?"

"I got help to get my humanity back."

Duo again made eye contact with Heero "Why didn't you at least contact her? Or even me? Just to let us know that you were ok?"

Heero looked down at his hands that were resting in his lap. "I don't have a answer for that." 

-----------------------------------------

Relena sighed as she finally got out of the meeting and started to walk down that hall back to her office. She started to walk past her secretary when she stopped her.

"Miss Relena." 

Relena was quiet frustrated with the meeting and snapped at her "Yes Leann."

"Um, the hospital called while you were in you meeting."

Relena turned to look at her. "What did they say?"

Leann smiled at her. "They said that Mr. Yuy has woken up and is doing ok."

Relena ran around the desk and hugged her. "Thank you." She then ran into her office throwing her files down on her desk and grabbing her purse. "Leann call and have my driver bring my car in front of the building. Cancel the rest of my appointments for the rest of the day. Oh and take the rest of the day off." she yelled from her office.

"Thank you Miss Relena."

Relena smiled as she walked past her then she ran to the elevator and pushed the button to the first floor once she got inside. 'I'm coming Heero.'

-----------------------------------------

Heero continued to stare at his hands. "Duo, let me ask you a question that has been haunting me for weeks now."

"Ok, what do you want to know?"

"Why?"

Duo watched him closely "Why what?"

"Why Relena? Heero looked over at Duo. " I thought that things were going well between you and Hilde." 

Duo closed his eyes and lowered his head when he said Hilde's name. "I thought so to Heero. I asked her to come to earth after I moved here. She refused to come, saying that L2 was her home now."

"Why did you move here?"

"I joined the Preventers fulltime to be on the task force that would protect Relena. I felt that it was the best way to do what you asked. I wouldn't have done it if you weren't my best friend Heero. If it were any of the others I would have laughed at them."

"If you weren't my best friend I wouldn't have asked you. But you were my best friend Duo. I laid my trust in you to protect her. I didn't ask you to give up your life with Hilde. And I didn't expect for you to move in on Relena."

"And I didn't expect to fall in love with her!" Duo yelled back at Heero. "The more I hung around her trying to help her with her grief over you I started to feel something toward her. I seen what a beautiful soul she had. I fell in love with how strong she was, they way that she smiled, the way that she moved, the way that she talked. I knew it was wrong. But you can't fight your feelings. I held back my feelings for her for more that two years because of you. That night that you walked in on us was our first time together Heero! The first, and the last. We haven't even so much as kissed each other since you came back. I don't know what type of hold that you have on her heart, but it's tearing us apart and I hate you for it. But I love her Heero, and I know that she has never stopped loving you." Duo could now feel the tears that were starting to build up in his eyes. "I love her enough to know when to let go."

"What are you trying to say Duo?"

"I'm letting her go Heero." Duo could now feel the tears slipping down his cheeks. "I'm stepping aside for her happiness. If she wants to be with you then I'm not going to fight what her heart wants."

"You would do that?" Heero looked confused and shocked and it sounded in his voice.

Duo nodded his head.

-----------------------------------------

Relena reached the hospital walking to the receptionist desk she asked for Heero's room number. Once she got it she made her way to the third floor of the hospital and walked toward his room. She had no idea what she was going to say to him, or what he would say to her. She just wished for once he would open up to her. She stopped outside his room and was about to open the door when she her Heero yell.

-----------------------------------------

"Then you're a stupid FUCK you know that Duo! How could you just step aside? Doesn't she mean anything to you? If you love her like you say that you do, then how could you just let some other man walk into her life. What if she loves you as much as you love her? How would she feel if you say that your going to step aside so she could be with me? What the hell is wrong with you?"

Duo jumped out of his chair his hands were clenched together, his knuckles where turning white. "What the hell is wrong with me? I just said that I would step aside for you and you call me stupid. I thought that you loved her and wanted to be with her!"

"I'm leaving Duo."

"What in the hell are you talking about?"

"As soon as I can get out of here I'm heading back to outer space. There is nothing here for me on this planet. Only bad memories."

Duo just stood still. "You arrogant son of a bitch." Heero laid back down on his bed and closed his eyes. Duo knew that it meant that he was through talking to him. "You are such a Fucking Coward!" he made his way past Heero's bed and toward the door and opened it. "You will regret this one of these days and when you finally realize it you will be to late.

Heero looked at Duo then he seen someone move in the hallway. "Relena."

Duo turned to look out in the hall. Relena was looking at the floor shaking. It was obvious that she was crying. "Relena." Duo reached out for her touching her arm. 

Relena moved away from him. "Don't touch me!" she snapped at him and took off down the hall.

Duo looked back over at Heero, who looked worried, and glared at him. Then he took off down the hall after Relena.

Heero felt his heart once again rip in two. He sighed and glanced over at the table next to the bed and picked up the envelope that Zechs gave him.  'Mars doesn't seem so bad right now. Itís far enough from Earth, far enough from the colonies, and far enough from my problems. It sounds better by the minute.' as he was thinking a smile crossed his face.