The Grave

(Quatre)

 

by: Selena Barton

 

It had been about a week since Relena's last visit. As always, Quatre was her escort. He went up first. He always checked to make sure it was safe. Except this time, he had something to say.

 

"Heero, I know you aren't with us anymore. How could you leave her like that? I know you can't be dead. I know you are still protecting her. Why must I pretend not to know? Why can't you return to her? You love her; I know it. I love her too. She's like family and to watch her in so much pain all the time because she lost you is killing all of us.

 

Duo still acts like nothing bothers him. Everyone knew he took it hard when you left. He was almost worse than Relena. Trowa knows where you are. He hasn't told her. I wish he would. If I could only get Trowa to tell me where you are. No one seems to know where Wufei disappeared to this time. I don't think he even told Sally. He left in the middle of the night without anyone knowing.

 

Well, Relena isn't doing as well as everyone thinks. I know you can see her wherever you are hiding. Look at her! She is lost without you. Wouldn't you rather be here with her and admit you love her? Tell her! What would be so hard about that? Just saying three little words.

 

Where is Zero? Where are you hiding that Gundam? How did you get it out of the ocean without someone seeing you? Duo was out there constantly looking for it. He stayed there for weeks straight. He never left.

 

I'll never understand you Heero Yuy. You have the perfect woman in love with you, a job that you were perfect at, and you go and stage your own death. That's the only thing I can think about. For five years, this has bothered me. Finally, we obtain peace and during a mission to maintain peace, you stage your death and leave. Was there a mission none of us knew about? What was so damn important Heero? What!?"

 

Quatre raised his head and looked at the shadow cast by the tree. There was a small section of the shadow that he saw move. He blinked a few times.

 

"Now my eyes are playing tricks on me, or are they Heero? Would you actually follow Relena here? Would you still be hiding in the shadows when you could have been by her side? Yes, you would. Follow your emotions, you say. Then you stage your death. Did you ever listen to your own advice? Were you in love with the self-detonation device? If you would have let your heart lead, you'd be with Relena, and the past 5 years wouldn't have been hell for her.

 

I hate to say this, but I hope they've been hell for you. You've hurt Relena too much this time Heero Yuy. I know you can hear me. You can't be far. You're never far from her. I can't let her get hurt like that again. I love her too much to watch her hurt like that again.

 

No one should put themselves through the torture of coming here every week, but she does. She is still totally devoted to you. Why? Because she loves you! Don't you get it?You had to have known how she felt. Everyone knew. Everyone! But you just threatened to kill her.

 

'Omae o korasu' doesn't mean I love you. Sometimes I wondered if you remembered that. Threatening to kill her didn't even make her love waiver. Standing perfectly still with you pointing a gun at her is trust and love! She had faith in you, and you threw it away!"

 

"Quatre, what's taking so long?" Relena called from the window of the limo.

 

"I'll be right there. I'm just making sure it's safe," he called back. "And letting you know what I think Heero," he said softly in the direction of the tombstone.

 

"I'll let Relena have her turn with you. Just remember, I'm here with her to protect her and you're the one hiding. I'm still fighting for her, and you gave up. " With those last words, Quatre turned and walked back to the gate. He looked back at the tombstone and noticed the movement again.

 

"Well?" Relena asked softly.

 

"What? Oh sorry Miss Relena. Would you like for me to walk you up?"

 

"No, I'll be fine," Relena answered as Quatre held the limo door and helped her out of the car.

 

"Don't take too long Miss Relena. I don't want to risk an attack and losing you. "

 

"Alright Quatre. "

 

Relena had stood up there for almost an hour talking to Heero's grave. All Quatre could think was, 'She's talking to that empty grave and doesn't even realize that Heero's right there. That has to be Heero. No one else is that good. No one else sends out those vibrations. I knew he was still alive. '

 

Relena returned as always crying and in a rush because they were holding the gate for her. The Vice Foreign Minister rushed through the gate, and Quatre escorted her back into the limo.

 

The limo pulled away as the sunset was about to finish. The gates were closed and the graveyard was silent.

 

Heero stepped out of the shadow. A tear rolled down his cheek. "Quatre, please understand. I know it hurt her, but I can't let her get hurt even worse by staying. I'm still fighting for her from the shadows, just without her knowing it. " He bent down and picked up the single red rose left by Relena.

 

He slowly walked over and climbed the fence. He had another set of shadows he needed to be in soon, right below Relena's balcony.

 

------------------------------------------------------