Hi everyone! I couldn't fall back to sleep at 3 o'clock this morning, so... here's the sequel to last week's "Strange Love." I thought that it would take me longer because I had to pick a song, but then I remembered this one because my dad used to make us listen to this CD when we drove down to Florida for our family vacations (20-odd hours in car with my little sister kicking me and whining), but enough of my childhood trauma. Time frame for this fic is not long before Endless Waltz. This is a really beautiful song, too, so I give you:

THE END OF THE INNOCENCE

Disclaimer: *exasperated breath* I don't own Gundam Wing or the rights to Don Henley's song "The End of the Innocence."
AC 196

Relena stared out at the crowd from her place at the podium. Yet another speech, but this one was different. Today was the anniversary of her father's death. A year ago the Vice-Foreign Minister, the man who had raised her as his own daughter, was murdered because he was a threat to Oz's power; because he had worked for peace. Now a memorial had been erected in his honor, and applause greeted Relena as she finished the dedication. She stayed until long after the diplomats and representatives had dispersed, studying the sculpture of a dove sitting atop the earth that bore a tribute and Mr. Darlian's name. The figure overlooked the sea. 'He would have liked it that way,' Relena thought to herself. She looked up to the sky, hoping that if he were watching over her, he would be pleased with what had come in the year since he'd died. Her life had changed so much in that year. She had gone from a spoiled little rich girl to the world advocate for peace. Relena ran her fingers over the cold metal of the statue, and thought about the past.

Remember when the days were long

And rolled beneath the deep blue sky

Didn't have a care in the world

With Mommy and Daddy standin' by

But happily ever after fails

And we've been poisoned by these fairy tales

The lawyers dwell on small details

Since Daddy had to fly

The wind picked up and the gust jolted Relena out of her daydream. Her limo sat waiting, but she really didn't feel like going home and dealing with the stack of paperwork that waited for her there. Work seemed to be her only reliable companion these days. Instead she asked her driver to come back in two hours. She turned away and decided to take a walk through a nearby field. It was such a wide-open space, green and dotted with color from the wildflowers that shot up between the grasses. A lone tree stood in the middle, as if guarding the land, and she headed towards it, savoring the beauty of the scenery and the sweetness of the air.

But I know a place where we can go

Still untouched by men

We'll sit and watch the clouds roll by

The tall grass waves in the wind

She reached the massive oak, and sat down in its shade. Letting out a long sigh, Relena let herself drop down, enjoying the soft blanket of grass. Examining the fistful of wildflowers she had picked along the way, she let her mind go blank, just concentrating on the serenity of her surroundings. She untied her hair, took off her jacket, and closed her eyes.

You can lay head back on the ground

And let your hair fall all around me

Offer up your best defense

This is the end

This is the end of the innocence

As Heero watched her give the dedication speech, her words had cast him through his own set of memories. He looked around at this place, thinking that he was actually getting a chance to enjoy the earth. He hadn't had that opportunity when he first arrived; he had come on a mission to wage a war. Not long after he had landed had there been battles and destruction as different factions vied for power.

O' beautiful for spacious skies

But now those skies are threatening

They're beating plowshares into swords

For that tired old man that we elected king

Almost everyone had been fighting in some way or another. Heero replayed events in his mind, considering the Rommefeller foundation and the old men who had given the orders that had sent probably thousands of soldiers out to die. And he had killed so many of them, nameless faces and souls. Why is it that the ones who decide to wage wars are often not the ones who go out and fight them? And he wondered if it was going to happen all over again. Soon he would leave for outer space, to check on rumors of another disenfranchised general amassing arms and soldiers.

Armchair warriors often fail

And we've been poisoned by these fairy tales

The lawyers clean up all details

Since Daddy had to lie

Heero pushed his own thoughts aside and concentrated on Relena. She was coming across the field now and heading straight for his hiding place! He had perched himself in the tree to get a better view to ensure that she would be safe during the speech. Besides, it wasn't terribly easy to hide one's self in an open field, even for Heero Yuy. He continued to watch her. 'Relena.' She was practically the reason for his existence now, and he guarded her faithfully, not knowing what else to do. She was so innocent; she had never taken life as he had. She trusted people freely and always tried to find the good in them. He felt so unworthy of her, so unclean. Yet she stirred up feelings in him that made him think that just maybe, someday he would be able to be forgiven.

But I know a place where we can go

And wash away this sin

We'll sit and watch the clouds roll by

The tall grass waves in the wind

There she was, just a few feet away from him now as she rested beneath the tree. He could stay up there all day and look at her. His heart raced and he could hear it beating faster and faster as he moved to conceal himself the best he could. But his plan backfired as one of the branches gave way with a hefty "crack." Though he managed to keep himself from falling, Relena had seen him. She was now looking right at him as he gracefully lowered himself to the ground. "Heero," she half whispered, staring at him in disbelief. He didn't know what to say, so he just stared back. A light breeze picked up Relena's long hair, and he remembered the night that she had almost fallen off the cliff. He had watched her in the moonlight as the wind tossed her hair around, just like it was now. And that same night he had slept beside her, so close, staying till morning though she never knew.

Relena must have been thinking of that night as well because when she finally managed to speak, the first thing she said was,

"Thank you."

"For what?" Heero asked, though he was pretty sure he knew. He had hoped that she just thought that night was all a dream.

"For saving my life again - four months ago, " she replied, moving tentatively towards him. "And for watching over me. I know you do, Heero." She took his hand in hers and placed it on her heart, looking into his deep blue eyes the entire time. Relena couldn't believe she'd just had the courage to do that. He moved closer to her, taking his hand and moving it to her face, letting his fingertips gently touch her cheek. His senses were acutely aware of what happened next, though his mind never consciously willed it to happen. By the time he again became aware of where he was, he was holding her tightly to him as their lips met, just very softly. But he found that he couldn't let go. Right now there was no one or nothing else in the world besides the two of them, and the perfect soldier caved in. Gently he eased her onto the velvety cushion of grass, never letting her out of the embrace as they kissed again, this time more deeply.

You can lay head back on the ground

And let your hair fall all around me

Offer up your best defense

This is the end

This is the end of the innocence

Relena couldn't believe what was happening. She had often wondered what it would feel like to be kissed, especially by Heero, and now... He felt so warm, so strong. She ran her hands along his bare arms, feeling the slickness of scars that bore testament to his life of pain. She wanted to take that pain away, even if it was just for a little while. Relena held him every bit as tightly as he held her. She closed her eyes, planting tiny kisses on his cheek. He slowly sat up and she kneeled beside him, blushing slightly as he took her hand. "Relena, I have to go." She silently shook her head. She wanted him to stay with her this time.

Who knows how long this will last

Now we've come so far so fast

But somewhere back there in the dust

That same small town in each of us

Heero inwardly cursed himself for letting this happen. He had completely lost himself in her when he had a mission to go to. As much as he wanted to, though, or even thought he should, he couldn't make himself believe that all those kisses had been wrong. Perhaps that's what bothered him the most. "Please don't go," she said quietly. He gave no response. Just then she heard the familiar sound of her limo screeching to a halt. Had two hours really gone by so fast? A door slammed as the driver got out to search for her. "I won't leave you," she said, turning to see if the driver had found them.

Heero took her hand, "That's not a choice either one of us can make right now," he said, his deep voice barely audible. A tear rolled down her cheek as she realized he was right. They were still both slaves to the peace. He looked over her shoulder and noticed that the driver was starting to trudge through the field.

I need to remember this

So baby give me just one kiss

And let me take a long last look

Before we say goodbye

Relena slowly turned to go, but Heero did not release her hand. She looked up at him questioningly, and he answered her with a strong but tender kiss. Then he abruptly let her go and watched her begin to walk away.

Just lay your head back on the ground

And let your hair fall all around me

Offer up your best defense

This is the end

This is the end of the innocence

She made her way through the grass, slowly forcing herself in the direction of the car. Relena almost couldn't bear to look back because she knew she would want to run to him, but her longing for one last glimpse overtook her. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and turned around as she reached the edge of the field. All she saw was the lonely oak. She scanned the bright green vista for a sign of Heero, but he was gone...

 

 

To be continued - I hope this wasn't too unbelievable. My fist songfic spawned a series, so there will be more (don't worry), I have to get Heero and Relena through Endless Waltz and beyond. I hope this fills the requests for, and I quote, "fluff and sap Relena knows about!" All of you who reviewed last time are truly wonderful, and I hope you liked this one, too. Please let me know what you think - reviews are so inspirational! Love, Stella.